Forspoken (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: "In Tanta We Trust" (post-main game DLC) gameplay reveal trailer (May 26 release)

Just now, stepee said:

I’m considering waiting for a $40 price on pc now myself after the impressions I’ve read but I’ll wait for final impressions before I rule it out at launch. 

I was probably going to buy it on/near day one, but after that demo I doubt I'll even buy it on sale tbh

• Sad 1

Somewhere down the line this and FF16 kinda seemed to switch for me as for being the most promising of the two. Like, graphically even.This used to be the nicer looking one now I think FF16 is. Of course FF16 is the one that doesn’t launch at the same time as ps5.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Somewhere down the line this and FF16 kinda seemed to switch for me as for being the most promising of the two. Like, graphically even.This used to be the nicer looking one now I think FF16 is. Of course FF16 is the one that doesn’t launch at the same time as ps5.

The main issue with the demo was the framerate. Everything else was solid so I'm still holding on! I forget if they had a performance option in the demo or not. I just remember enjoying it so we shall see.

• Thanks 1

@stepee I played the demo again this evening. I don't think I made accurate impressions earlier because it wasn't so hot. I was actually ok with the framerate with "raytracing" on but the visuals still look blurry. It's more apparent to me now coming off Ragnarok and seeing the clarity and textures in that.

The combat is a bit rough because it's not as fluid as it needs to be. It's a bit overwhelming too because they throw you in the middle of the game where you are already pretty equipped with combat moves. Also, yes, she speaks to damn much, too. Not sure how that didn't annoying me initially.

I'm definitely waiting for user impressions and reviews before I bite on this. I still have a glimmer of hope because it's only a demo. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee I played the demo again this evening. I don't think I made accurate impressions earlier because it wasn't so hot. I was actually ok with the framerate with "raytracing" on but the visuals still look blurry. It's more apparent to me now coming off Ragnarok and seeing the clarity and textures in that.

The combat is a bit rough because it's not as fluid as it needs to be. It's a bit overwhelming too because they throw you in the middle of the game where you are already pretty equipped with combat moves. Also, yes, she speaks to damn much, too. Not sure how that didn't annoying me initially.

I'm definitely waiting for user impressions and reviews before I bite on this. I still have a glimmer of hope because it's only a demo. 

Yeah I’m going to need user impressions of the final release, the frame rate goes into the 20s and the res as like 900p on the demo so I kinda don’t want to play it because I feel like no matter what I’ll be turned off lol 

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah I’m going to need user impressions of the final release, the frame rate goes into the 20s and the res as like 900p on the demo so I kinda don’t want to play it because I feel like no matter what I’ll be turned off lol 

Oh yea, 900p is fact because her character model was almost blocky looking! I was stunned lol. 

• Sad 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forspoken (24 January 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Cinematic" trailer

Based on what I’ve seen of the game it looks like a cross-gen game, and I don’t know why it couldn’t be on PS4 considering that God of War: Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West look just as good if not better on PS4. If Sony was making it I’m pretty sure that it would be on PS4, and look and run fine.

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Based on what I’ve seen of the game it looks like a cross-gen game, and I don’t know why it couldn’t be on PS4 considering that God of War: Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West look just as good if not better on PS4. If Sony was making it I’m pretty sure that it would be on PS4, and look and run fine.

I've seen you say this before and you can't really judge that just by looking at a game. I don't know what other systems they have going on and considering that devs are already running into limitations with these current gem systems can you imagine how tough it would be to put a game on a Base Xbox or PS4 because those are the skus they would have to program for. Not the X1X and PS4 Pro.

240 hz has spoiled me. I can't take sub 60 fps in any game so I'm glad there is a performance option. I'd rather look at a slightly less sharp image than a slideshow.

After 5 minutes I think I like the movement and traversal the most. Hopefully that gets expanded as we unlock abilities, and that there will actually be interesting locations to explore.

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've seen you say this before and you can't really judge that just by looking at a game. I don't know what other systems they have going on and considering that devs are already running into limitations with these current gem systems can you imagine how tough it would be to put a game on a Base Xbox or PS4 because those are the skus they would have to program for. Not the X1X and PS4 Pro.

Yeah, I said it before for Gotham Knights. The point that I’m making is that it seems like it’s the devs of these games that don’t know how to make them perform and run better if they look like last gen games and still can’t perform and run smoothly on current gen consoles and can’t run at all on last gen consoles. Give these same games to devs like Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, or Santa Monica Studio and I bet that they would run at 60fps on current gen consoles and 30fps on last gen ones, because they know how to work some magic when it comes to graphics and performance that other devs don’t.

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, I said it before for Gotham Knights. The point that I’m making is that it seems like it’s the devs of these games that don’t know how to make them perform and run better if they look like last gen games and still can’t perform and run smoothly on current gen consoles and can’t run at all on last gen consoles. Give these same games to devs like Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, or Santa Monica Studio and I bet that they would run at 60fps on current gen consoles and 30fps on last gen ones, because they know how to work some magic when it comes to graphics and performance that other devs don’t.

Yup. Forspoken could EASILY be on the PS4 if one of those devs made it. You might have to just snag a PS5 this year. There is a good enough library for you to make the jump. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You might have to just snag a PS5 this year. There is a good enough library for you to make the jump. 

This year is still too soon for me to get a PS5 because my PS4 game library is overwhelming (800+ games), and there’s a lot more games coming out for it this year that I want as well. Mostly AA games and indies that will look and run good on it. I still don’t plan on getting a PS5 until Grand Theft Auto VI comes out.

4 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

This year is still too soon for me to get a PS5 because my PS4 game library is overwhelming (800+ games), and there’s a lot more games coming out for it this year that I want as well. Mostly AA games and indies that will look and run good on it. I still don’t plan on getting a PS5 until Grand Theft Auto VI comes out.

Fair enough. Like you've mentioned before, the Pro will be out by then so that will be a nice pickup. 

4 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Two of those studios make linear games, to be fair.  Engine optimization also has a lot to do with it.  UE4 has been a bit dodgy with open world games.  When developers don't go far enough to optimize/modify it, we see stuff like Gotham Knights and Ark come out.

I expect Forspoken will look better than FFXV on the whole.  But if it was upscalling from a higher base resolution, I could see the visuals popping in a more 'next-gen' way. They could be making the wrong artistic choices considering.  Hopefully the final product fares better, but I'm really waiting to see the PC build at this point.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yup. Forspoken could EASILY be on the PS4 if one of those devs made it. You might have to just snag a PS5 this year. There is a good enough library for you to make the jump. 

None of us are devs so none of us know especially when the game isn't even out yet. The SSD speeds of these newer consoles make a lot of what we see on them very difficult to pull off on last gen consoles especially the base models (O.G. PS4 and Xbox One) which is what these devs would have to develop for if they wanted to target last gen. Also as @crispy4000points out, Naughty Dog and Santa Monica studio make games that are VERY linear as opposed to open world games like Forsaken and Gotham Knights are. Aside from graphics, I don't see how Gotham Knights could have been done on Last Gen consoles given how the drop in drop out co-op works especially when you consider the fact that you're not tethered to the host and can be on the whole other side of the map from them. Last gen consoles couldn't handle this without dedicated servers... remember State of Decay 2 and how people bitched that co-op had to be tethered and you couldn't move too far from the host in a co-op session? ANd that was a 2nd party game not a 3rd party game like Gotham Knights.

My point is that for all of the folks complaining about consoles holding gaming back it's ironic to see folks who don't want to let last gen go when that gen lasted pretty long and you can still play last gen games on current consoles for the most part. There's no diabolical plan to abandon last gen console gamers... it's just time to move on. Personally I'm not looking forward to every game that comes out that doesn't have cutting edge graphics being labled as "could have been done on last gen consoles" when there's alot more to it then graphics alone. 

• True 1

Forspoken would only work on ps4 if they did a specific port designed around the limitations. The one thing that’s very obvious is that would not be able to simply scale down the iq and frame rate as is, so at the very minimum we know that as designed it would not run on last gen.

So the question is would it have been worth it financially to put in all the effort to tweak this game they are already struggling to optimize on current gen so that it would run on last gen machines. I’m sure they looked at it at some point in development and said no. I think they might have been correct there but we will never know.

You can put anything on anything at this point if you are willing to put the work in. Shit is hella scaleable and by ps360 era hardware has been powerful enough to display any mechanics and general design you want on some basic level.

Look at switch ports. The best comparison I think would be the Witcher 3 port on Switch, which is pretty close to ps360 era hardware. That took perhaps the best team there is at optimizing games for lower end hardware over a year to accomplish. And it certainly isn’t something you would want to play on a big screen tv still (kinda amazing in 2019 to see on a handheld though).

But so again the question is, would it have been financially viable to put in an extra year of development to make a version of this game that would absolutely get panned for being rough looking on systems that the most active consumers have moved on from? I don’t see them profiting myself.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Since the PC version doesn't require an m.2 or even SATA SSD, I don't know how much we can put on the storage speed as being the reason it needs to be on PS5.

It doesn’t even require a lot of ram like Returnal to get around that, so I don’t think it’s too much that either. I think it would just be toning down a lot of geometry and asset density and quality and finding the right profile but it would just be more work and look like garbage lol so I just can’t blame them.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

It doesn’t even require a lot of ram like Returnal to get around that, so I don’t think it’s too much that either. I think it would just be toning down a lot of geometry and asset density and quality and finding the right profile but it would just be more work and look like garbage lol so I just can’t blame them.

Yea, I think it's the overall rasterization needed to render the game... Then again, the PC GPU requirement is only a GTX 960 and a 1070 is recommended. I think the PS4 Pro has like a 1060 equivalent (launch PS4 is like a GTX 750/760)? The requirement for CPU is just a i5 2500k 

:shrug:

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, I think it's the overall rasterization needed to render the game... Then again, the PC GPU requirement is only a GTX 960 and a 1070 is recommended. I think the PS4 Pro has like a 1060 equivalent (launch PS4 is like a GTX 750/760)? The requirement for CPU is just a i5 2500k 

:shrug:

Yeah it’s just a matter is it worth the effort to produce trash or not! This thing is going to be nasty on a 960 lol

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah it’s just a matter is it worth the effort to produce trash or not! This thing is going to be nasty on a 960 lol

And that's the thing right? Put in more time and effort to get the game running on old hardware only to get panned anyway or just wash your hands of the old hardware and put games out on current gen systems. Another thing I didn't mention regarding Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica is that all three of those studios are first party Sony studios and will pretty much have all the resources and funding they need to make games look as good as possible on whatever platform they are working on. Not all studios have that at their disposal so it's not always about "talent" either. Again... none of us are devs so none of us really know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And that's the thing right? Put in more time and effort to get the game running on old hardware only to get panned anyway or just wash your hands of the old hardware and put games out on current gen systems. Another thing I didn't mention regarding Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica is that all three of those studios are first party Sony studios and will pretty much have all the resources and funding they need to make games look as good as possible on whatever platform they are working on. Not all studios have that at their disposal so it's not always about "talent" either. Again... none of us are devs so none of us really know.

I think all devs should be putting out PS3 Shadow of Mordor style ports on last gen hardware rather than make sure the game is playable. This way, we'll abandon PS4/Xbone as fast as 360/PS3 were abandoned and we can stop being held back :angry-fap-small:

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Well not none of us @chakoo :P

But yeah that’s the thing why spend effort release something you know people are going to mostly just pan! And then it can affect the reputation of your whole game everywhere. Cyberpunk was a big warning for these companies.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

Cyberpunk was a big warning for these companies.

Seriously... people forget about that. I had one guy on another board tell me that the complaints about Cyberpunk were "overblown" and that the internet "overreacted". Not in that case. They got the game running on last gen hardware but it sucked ass to the point that it was barely playable.

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think all devs should be putting out PS3 Shadow of Mordor style ports on last gen hardware rather than make sure the game is playable.

There was a PS3 version? It was missing the Nemesis system right? 

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I think all devs should be putting out PS3 Shadow of Mordor style ports on last gen hardware rather than make sure the game is playable. This way, we'll abandon PS4/Xbone as fast as 360/PS3 were abandoned and we can stop being held back :angry-fap-small:

Can we extend this idea to the Series S?  Just imagine the Forspoken demo running on that.

Forspoken-PC-requirements-Minimum-recomm
WWW.DEXERTO.COM

Forspoken PC system requirements have been revealed, so here are both the minimum, recommended, and ultra settings. 

Minimum settings

OS: Windows 10 64-bit (After November 2019 Update) or Windows 11 64-bit

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (3.7GHz or better) / Intel Core i7-3770 (3.7GHz or better)

Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB VRAM

Memory: 16GB

Display resolution: 720p 30fps

HDD/SSD space: HDD 150GB or more

Recommended settings

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (3.7 GHz or better)/ Intel® Core™ i7-8700K (3.7GHz or better)

Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VRAM

Memory: 24GB

Display Resolution: 1440p 30fps

HDD/SSD space: SSD 150GB or more

Ultra settings 

CPU: AMD Ryzen™5 5800X (3.8 GHz or better) Intel Core™ i7-12700

Video Card: AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT 16GB / NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 4080 16 GB VRAM

Memory: 32GB

Display Resolution: 2160p 60fps

HDD/SSD: NVMe SSD 150GB or more

Im sure this will run fine on consoles :p