Jump to content

Forspoken (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: PC demo now live on Steam/EGS/Microsoft Store, "Official Launch Trailer"


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I haven’t played it yet but if those are the inputs that doesn’t necessarily mean anything to me. Spider-man is just hold R2 and push forward and it’s my favorite movement in a game.

Hell no, you have WAY more movement options than hold R2 in Spider-Man and actually have to pay attention to get around swiftly.

 

There is no gameplay with this parkour, at least at the base level. There's nothing to learn or do. You point in a direction, hold circle, and that's it. It's just auto-mantling with fancy animations.


Unless someone here figured out some sick ass gameplay that I missed, I'd love to see a PS5 Share video of that, I'd be happy to eat my words as I love good parkour, but I have to actually be doing something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Hell no, you have WAY more movement options than hold R2 in Spider-Man and actually have to pay attention to get around swiftly.

 

There is no gameplay with this parkour, at least at the base level. There's nothing to learn or do. You point in a direction, hold circle, and that's it. It's just auto-mantling with fancy animations.


Unless someone here figured out some sick ass gameplay that I missed, I'd love to see a PS5 Share video of that, I'd be happy to eat my words as I love good parkour, but I have to actually be doing something.

 

That sounds like old school AC parkour is that about right? Maybe I’ll check it out, I’m planning to get it, but kinda just didn’t want to bother with the demo with it not being on pc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, it's basically like old school AC parkour except... there's like no buildings or anything to scale. It's a bunch of empty plains. There's some floating rocks at one point and a fortress (basically just four walls sitting in the middle of the map with a few guys to kill) you can enter, so it's not COMPLETELY barren but it's also not exactly full of stuff to do. I'm not kidding when I say the majority of my time was spent just running. It's a stark contrast to something like even World of Warcraft, which despite being a crusty old piece of shit did introduce legit fun traversal this expansion that they stole completely from Guild Wars 2, which also has a ton of fun traversal. I actually downloaded the Forspoken demo mainly because I saw someone explain it like Spider-Man with magic which sounded awesome. But there was no Spider-Manning, unless, again, I missed something.

  • Thanks 1
  • True 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Hell no, you have WAY more movement options than hold R2 in Spider-Man and actually have to pay attention to get around swiftly.

 

There is no gameplay with this parkour, at least at the base level. There's nothing to learn or do. You point in a direction, hold circle, and that's it. It's just auto-mantling with fancy animations.


Unless someone here figured out some sick ass gameplay that I missed, I'd love to see a PS5 Share video of that, I'd be happy to eat my words as I love good parkour, but I have to actually be doing something.

 

This one I think really shows the expansive options.

  • Sicko 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy crap the commentary is bad in this game. I know it’s Ella Balinkski or whatever but her voice doesn’t sound like it was meant for acting, in any capacity whatsoever. I hate using the word cringe but…yea. The gameplay is pretty neat and casting spells is fun though, so there’s that I guess. But this just went from a day one to a maybe one day… way down the line.  I’m kinda glad because the first quarter of next year has too many games on my radar. This one just got eliminated. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I don't know. I played over an hour and half and thought it was pretty solid. Competent combat and fun traversal imo.

 

The visuals are really beautiful, too. I'm still very on board with this game. Also, she wasn't annoying to me either.

 

:shrug:

Hey more power to ya, it just rubbed me the wrong way all the way through.

 

...but I'll still probably get it because I'm a sick bastard with no self-control.

  • Haha 1
  • True 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I don't know. I played over an hour and half and thought it was pretty solid. Competent combat and fun traversal imo.

 

The visuals are really beautiful, too. I'm still very on board with this game. Also, she wasn't annoying to me either.

 

:shrug:

I agree. i didn't play as long as you did but I enjoyed what I played. I see a LOT of potential with the combat and upgrade and crafting systems. The controls DID feel a little sluggish and could be fine tuned a tad, but overall I enjoyed what I played of the demo. In fact thanks for reminding me to put more time into it. I don't know if this game is a Day One purchase for me for sure, but I will definiely pick it up at some point.

  • Halal 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I agree. i didn't play as long as you did but I enjoyed what I played. I see a LOT of potential with the combat and upgrade and crafting systems. The controls DID feel a little sluggish and could be fine tuned a tad, but overall I enjoyed what I played of the demo. In fact thanks for reminding me to put more time into it. I don't know if this game is a Day One purchase for me for sure, but I will definiely pick it up at some point.

This is how I feel. I didn’t hate the demo, but I don’t think it really gives you a full picture of the game. I have no idea why I’m in this world, powers are obviously limited, and only a sliver of the world is available .

 

I do agree with there being a control issue they need to tighten up. The right stick definitely has lag problems when there’s a lot on screen. 
 

we’ll see when it comes out. 

  • Halal 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

This is how I feel. I didn’t hate the demo, but I don’t think it really gives you a full picture of the game. I have no idea why I’m in this world, powers are obviously limited, and only a sliver of the world is available .

 

I do agree with there being a control issue they need to tighten up. The right stick definitely has lag problems when there’s a lot on screen. 
 

we’ll see when it comes out. 

 

This is very accurate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried about 10-15 minutes worth, and while I wasn't overly intersted in the game, this demo killed any curiousness I had.  It felt like it could have some potential combat wise, but the world, art, graphics, combat, controls, just about everything, felt bland, and mediocre.

 

It maybe cause I didn't put enough time in, but the movement and speed of combat seems to be the selling point, and it felt like i had to constantly freeze combat to select different spells which completely ruined that experience.  Watching XBobs clip, I guess you can switch spells with dpad maybe which would help, but as you get more diverse spells and more options, will that always be a choice?

 

I can't imagine I'd pick this game up to play over the many others I have in my backlog waiting to be played.  Def not a $70 game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m looking at this a weird way where basically these impressions make it sound like the demo won’t be enough to talk me out of buying it, so I’ll just skip playing the demo and keep launch day more fresh.

 

I have a lot of faith from my time with the demo that this game will be worth buying day one. Skip the demo, wait for impressions and reviews and then make a decision. I'm confident it's an 8.0-9.0 game for sure. Just the demo itself had a decent variety in magic abilities for combat and more importantly it was fun. 

 

She wasn't annoying in anyway and the dialogue was good imo. The abilities in the demo were cool and pretty easy to utilize. 

 

Traversal is perfectly fine with me with holding down the o button and moving extremely fast past obstacles. I loved the environment and the main character was perfectly fine to me. It's going to be a good game. 

  • Halal 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

 

She really doesn't speak to much. I guess it's nice to have that option but when she did speak it was good dialogue. 

Man, I have to respectfully disagree. After recently coming from games like God of War, Horizon, Ghosts of Tsushima, etc, Forspoken’s dialogue sounds pretty poor in comparison. Well, there is no comparison lol. But I still may get it one day. The spell casting was fun and there’s enough content there that I’ll probably get it one day down the line. But nowhere near full price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nublood said:

Man, I have to respectfully disagree. After recently coming from games like God of War, Horizon, Ghosts of Tsushima, etc, Forspoken’s dialogue sounds pretty poor in comparison. Well, there is no comparison lol. But I still may get it one day. The spell casting was fun and there’s enough content there that I’ll probably get it one day down the line. But nowhere near full price. 

 

I'll have to try the demo out again and really focus on her dialogue. It just didn't bother me at all but I respect your opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I don't know if it's youtube artifacting or SquareEnix setting FSR 2.x's sharpening too high, but footage of the demo at least just looks gross to me.

 

This may be a game I'd want to skip on consoles.  Hopefully the PC version fares much better at handling all that particle and aliased artifact mess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finally played this. I honestly thought you guys and others were being hyperbolic regarding the constant chatter thing, and I want to note that it’s something I actually usually enjoy (the chatter in GoW:Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy, Uncharted, etc is enjoyable to me), but holy F it’s bad here - it feels forced as if lines are being spouted for the sake of spouting them; ffs, just switching spells causes commentary.

 

The graphics seem nice, BUT, the game is ridiculously over brightened while black levels seem simultaneously crushed. I don’t think it’s my PS5 settings as all of my other games look great. I tried using the in game brightness/hdr/contrast scales but it either barely helps or looks worse with bkack levels getting crushed further somehow.

 

Gameplay, while not really “janky” IMO, just feels “off”. It’s just kind of bland, mostly the combat. Traversal is mostly okay, but when trying to scale up tall structures with the grappling hook-thing (square button) the lock-on seems like it chooses when to actually lock-on vs not at random.
 

I dunno, I was more-or-less set to get this on PC, but I think it’s a skip for me now. It largely reminds of those 2010-ish large RPGs with good graphics but “meh” gameplay; kind of like the Two Worlds franchise (minus the jank).

 

EDIT: just want to note that the framerate felt terrible and seemed to be adding very noticeable input delay (ray-traced mode) until I turned on 120hz mode which helped a LOT, but it still feels like there’s a slight disconnect from pressing a button to when your character acts that’s beyond a framerate issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forspoken (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: PC demo now live on Steam/EGS/Microsoft Store, "Official Launch Trailer"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...