Forspoken (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: "In Tanta We Trust" (post-main game DLC) gameplay reveal trailer (May 26 release)

5 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Shame the video is in German, I would love more context on this.

When/how does it cause slowdown?  It is just during heavy loads?  Or consistently?

the article makes it seem like it just runs at 10% the fps on a m.2 SSD vs a SATA SSD. They’re not sure why though. 

the my left it saying they wanted to test on an AMD GPU and see if it has the same performance hit. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

the article makes it seem like it just runs at 10% the fps on a m.2 SSD vs a SATA SSD. They’re not sure why though. 

the my left it saying they wanted to test on an AMD GPU and see if it has the same performance hit. 

This mystery is already solved I believe, when the game is loading frames are unlocked and go crazy high and that causes the average frame rate to be higher than when there is lest time spent on the loading screens.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I mean she did try to grab the bag before she left at least, I could see going for your pet as the first instinct not thinking you wouldn’t be able to get back in that room..but also she didn’t really try even lol whatever though I bet I can get hella money for this cuff

Ok, put a little over 2 hours into this. I think it's actually pretty good. The main thing is I really like Frey and I think her voice acting is good and can be "funny" too. I really like the music and the setup of the story even if it's not the most original. Her cat homer and her loneliness and despair reminded me of me living at my old apartment. Homer was cute and her finding the cuff was well done.

I thankfully can play this at 40fps so the framerate is fine for me. The combat is fun and from what I hear only improves with time. It's not a AAA title obviously and it screams 7.5/10 but I'm fine with that if it continues to keep my attention like it has. 

The visuals aren't very detailed but are very clean and look nice enough. Overall, it's solid for me and I'll keep playing. Not bad...not bad at all.

• Halal 1

28 hours in on PS5 (havent upgraded my PC in 5 years for reasons, so went console), just got my fire powers, and my short "sorta" review.

Fuck the naysayers. This game is a 7 or 8 just on the combat and traversal (gameplay) alone. I could spend days just zooming around this world without a care in the world, and i just got a new power that makes exploring the world even more fun. I actually like Frey and Cuff (even if i did have to turn down the banter), and while the story isnt oscar worthy, what do you expect from what is basically an Alice in Wonderland interpretation? I do have to say, the worlds lore is mostly told by books you find, which i would have preferred other ways for the lore to be explained in game.

This game reminded me of Infamous the instant i was able to actually fight, and Infamous is still one of my favorite series (sadly Sucker Punch probably wont be working on another one anytime soon). Being able to zoom around easily (with the occasional hiccup/hangup), and switch powers on the fly is amazing. You can literally bounce off of enemies to evade them with your powers, where if you are good, you can evade most everything, and while evading do counter attacks that do increased damage.

i'm playing on the performance settings on PS5, so the game isnt particuarly amazing looking at that setting, the huge world feels big enough for the traversal system, but small enough not to feel completely empty. 

If the nimble and fast exploration of a huge open world and you like to explore everything you can as you go, and versatile combat system where you can combo just about anything together sounds like an experience you would love, its worth getting now, even at full price. 

If you are someone who would explore very little, and try and get through everything as quickly as possible, but the gameplay sounds intriguing, get it later when you can get it on sale.

As for me, it was worth the...yeah, $90.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

I’ve just cleared what must be Between 25-30% of the game and I maintain that its not only not a bad game, but in fact is a fairly good game. The reviews on this game are weird and wrong. That said, I can’t defend its price. But that aside I’m enjoying it! 

• Thanks 1

OK, so I just cleared the game! It took me roughly 30 hour to do so, for rerence. I will admit that after I cleared the second Tanta, I got lazer focused on clearing the main story. I skipped a fair bit of content on the back half. Now that I've cleared the story, I can say that this game is a solid 7, and for some, maybe an 8. This is a game of missed opportunies and its a shame. Said missed opportunities include:

* The main quest should have been about a 1/3 longer to prevent a series of events that happen late game from being needlessly stacked up together.

* The camera system needed to keep up wit the scope of magic and parkour on display and at times, really important times, it did not.

* The leveling and gear aspects have a lot of potential but ultiamately fall short of that proper RPG feel. It can be confusing, regarding whether or not to use the more expotic crafting elements on this cloak or that one. Many of the effects you can immbue the cloaks and necklaces with are to minor to be worth using so the game seemingly is encouraging you to not bother, favoring status restances as they are massively impactful by way of comparison. 

* I would also dog on the plot a bit, but honestly it clear this game was made for someone younger than me, you know the current demogrphic I am increasing fallign out of, so of course much of it would be old hack to me. The story is delivered competently enough, which a few, "must we?" moments peppered in throughout. 

* Magic is diverse, but honestly you do not have to be overly upgraded to clear this game. There are many interesting elements to the magic system, but in the end you can brute force your way through most battles with whatever makes you conformtable. 

Overall though, despite the list above, I enjoyed my play through, and if they ever did make a sequel, I'd be there day one! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

And he’s honestly almost being too kind. I can brute force it so it runs well for me but its performance often doesn’t make sense and essentially requiring 10gb of vram to load the textures properly is ridiculous, and makes sense why textures looked so bad in ps5. 

I would have hit its stupid cpu performance in the main city as well. I turned off ray tracing as it’s near useless (as mentioned here) and provides a cpu gain so it’s 60+ now still on a 10850k but like there isn’t much happening in the city. There is no reason I can see why it shouldn’t be running easily for any modern cpu.

Its cpu performance is weird too, like normally when it’s a problem like in Calisto Protocol it’s because they didn’t multi thread it well, so it’s not using any of the cpu. That’s bad, but it makes sense. This seems to actually be using a lot of the cpu but I have no idea what the fuck for.

Edit: Also the demo is easily the best performing section and so that’s kinda sketchy 

Forspoken-PC-Site.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Alex Battaglia takes on the PC port of Forspoken, which is unfortunately rife with issues that hamper a sometimes enjoyable game with fast loading times.

So despite Forspoken’s comprehensive PC settings menu offering a good first impression, this is a deeply disappointing port with nearly useless RT and a severe texture quality penalty for those on graphics cards with 8GB or less of VRAM. Overall image quality and loading times are improved on PC compared to PS5, with the right hardware and software in place, but there are few meaningful options to regain performance on lower-end hardware or push visuals beyond the PS5 version. Hopefully, some or all of the issues identified in this review can be addressed, as there is a kernel of a fun game here and PC players deserve better.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forspoken (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: PC demo now live on Steam/EGS/Microsoft Store, "Official Launch Trailer"

The hits just keep on coming for the PC version.

forspoken.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

You might want to hold off until Forspoken patches its patch.

Several on the Steam community page report that the patch has caused Forspoken to use much more of their CPU, with it spiking up to 100 percent when opened, while others say that it's causing driver crashes. Another problem cropping up is that controllers have stopped working entirely, forcing people to use mouse and keyboard or find an alternative like swapping out a Series controller for a Switch one.

There are workarounds for several of these bugs. For the controller issue, you have to redo your setup options in Steam and then restart, while for the stuttering, one Reddit user claims that downloading the latest DLSS plugin and swapping it in the Forspoken game directory seems to alleviate the issues. However, these are hardly intuitive solutions and require a bit of legwork to get done.

And while PC reboots, controllers breaking, and stuttering are all annoying, some are having to completely reinstall the game as they report getting pop-up errors saying to do just that.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The hits just keep on coming for the PC version.

forspoken.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

You might want to hold off until Forspoken patches its patch.

Some of this doesn’t quite make sense or reflect my own experience. Zero issues with gamepad and I personally did not notice a cpu spike and I specifically tested it after the patch since the cpu is rough in the main the city. Also dlss versions won’t help with any stutter, I keep seeing people suggest that for all sorts of games and it doesn’t make sense.

The game performs like shit and I believe that the patch made things worse somehow for some people so it’s funny still, but most pc performance impressions are bunk and I only trust like 2-3 sites unless something is reported by all major outlets.

Jeeze I’m almost half way through the game I guess and I finally just hit the point where you have the same powers as in the demo. That took way too damn long because this entire time I’ve been waiting for powers to improve and to stop constantly seeing “resistant” on every other enemy with nothing I can do about it but grind it out and also having to constantly rely on the parkour over the enemy then shoot them from behind thing that isn’t that fun to do. 

Or to have any new movement abilities that mattered or new fight spells that looked cool and felt powerful. Everything was like throwing a plant on the ground and it shoots pebbles at an enemy or defensive spells, it didn’t feel like my character was getting more powerful at all this entire first part of the game.

Then it’s just a whole bunch of additions all at once after

the chapter 5 boss.

<— this spoiler just says what chapter the boss is on where you gain a bunch of new abilities and spells - I’m mentioning that because you might want to look and know to just b-line to that point and then do more side stuff after that. I wish I would have done that. A lot side of stuff has been frustrating because I always felt underpowered.

• Thanks 1

I feel pretty guilty buying this. There is a bunch of games I can play and I made a stupid decision buying this just for a quick fix. 

It's not AWFUL but its pretty bland in all aspects in gameplay and visuals. I'll maybe come around and play it down the road with maybe some performance issues cleaned up with patches.

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I feel pretty guilty buying this. There is a bunch of games I can play and I made a stupid decision buying this just for a quick fix. 

It's not AWFUL but its pretty bland in all aspects in gameplay and visuals. I'll maybe come around and play it down the road with maybe some performance issues cleaned up with patches.

I think right now it’s meta is a 68…seems about right honestly. 

The only general critique I don’t agree with is with Frey as she is honestly the main reason I’m even going to beat this. The parkour is fun enough and it could have led to a final fantasy like game that’s more my speed than most of them but it spends far too long as a super hero power fantasy where you don’t feel powerful.

I’m a little less than half way through judging by chapter count though so maybe it will end up a solid 7!

• Halal 1

For an open world game with an emphasis on movement and exploration it constantly feels like the game doesn’t want you to explore and to follow the main story. For all the icons everywhere the game is always forcing you onto the main story path with an invisible wall   here or an unclimbable wall there preventing you from really going out on your own and doing something out of order.

That said man is it a lot more fun now in the back half. Now i’m a proper magic wizard and the fights look spectacular. Some great looking scenes that really nail that magical vibe.

• Halal 1

Well I beat this quicker than I thought, what a weird game. After it finally starts really opening up with new spells and more fun and varied combat the game kind of funnels you right through to the end. You get all these new spells when it’s not really a good time to explore the open world, a better time would be in the first half, but at that time they don’t give you any cool new spells. They really screwed up on the progression here. 

There was a really good game they had brewing at one point but it ended up super uneven what they got out the door. I think a 6.8/10 feels about right. It did have some really good spectacle moments that I’m here for with glimpses of a current gen worthy looking game and Frey is honestly one of the most relatable main characters in gaming and those two things kept me playing through the end but definitely a hard one to recommend for $70!

• Thanks 1