Forspoken (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: "In Tanta We Trust" (post-main game DLC) gameplay reveal trailer (May 26 release)

6 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

IMHO, most "next-gen" of any of the trailers shown at the Sony show today.

I'll be honest, this one actually didn't do that for me.  Compare it to the Epic tech demo, and it doesn't seem quite as strong.  Still a very impressive looking game no doubt, but I think Horizon made a much stronger case.  Watch it in the 4k feed.

• 9 months later...

Athia_Mesa_Vista-t75m4zv7y.jpg?quality=6

Athia_Frey_vs_Bear-b1flh7es9.jpg?quality

Athia_Frey_Parkour_Leap-25gk09oae.jpg?qu

Introducing Forspoken, the new narrative-driven adventure set in a beautiful yet cruel world. Play as Frey Holland, an ordinary young woman who must harness her magical abilities to survive in the fantastical yet dangerous land of Athia. Developed by Luminous Productions for the PlayStation®5 system and PC, Forspoken will take players on a magical and perilous journey.

• Pikachu changed the title to Forspoken (2022) - Information Thread (Update: New Trailer)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forspoken (2022) - Information Thread, update: Story Introduction Trailer
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forspoken (24 May 2022) - Information Thread, update: The Game Awards 2021 Trailer

Multiple hands-off previews/impressions released today:

3917006-screenshot_02.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Forspoken seems to be a call back to '90s and early 2000s isekai stories, back when the Japanese genre more regularly featured female protagonists.

All in all, Forspoken looks like a pretty game. It looks like an experience where navigation and combat mechanics flow together and you're able to pull off bombastic combos with seemingly hard-hitting attacks that explode with a display of colorful carnage. Forspoken looks like a game where you return to a hub city and regularly venture out into a world that appears to be shockingly devoid of anything meaningful to do but flip through the air and fight enemies. Problem is, I've seen all those things come together in a game before, and BioWare's Anthem didn't turn out so well. I'm hoping I'm wrong, and that Frey's characterization propels Forspoken's campaign forward, but it's hard to tell how this game will play and whether it's good without actually getting hands on with it. We're still a ways from that too, as Forspoken is planned to launch for PS5 and PC on May 24.

UxDPgiAQfrTyVPrewWA4td-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Luminous Productions on the magic spells and parkour in Forspoken

With Magic Parkour traversal, a wealth of spells to make use of, and a battle and progression system that allows you to customize your experience, Forspoken continues to speak to my RPG-loving heart in all the best ways. And with an intriguing story and a strong, complex protagonist who gets caught up in extraordinary circumstances, Luminous Productions' debut title shows a lot of potential. Even after the recent release of the latest story trailer, there's still a lot of mystery surrounding Frey's adventure and the world of Athia. And I can't wait to seek out some answers and experience her journey for myself when it releases next year on May 24, 2022.

forspoken-dragon-1639353499099.jpg?width
WWW.IGN.COM

We saw an extended look at Forspoken, an eccentric take on the open-world RPG from Square Enix's Luminous Productions which aims to set a new bar for art and technology for the Japanese developer.

Mixing and matching a fantasy world with a New York heroine certainly is a vibe, as they say. While Athia is filled with magical jargon like the Break — a dark blight that's corrupting the world when Frey joins; and Tantas — a group of evil sorceresses who rule over Athia, Frey is not cut from this same cloth. Frey won't spout fantasy-tinged monologues; she's a bit of a potty-mouth, cussing at enemies while blasting them with magical powers.

The upgrade system, too, is unconventional. While Frey will be able to improve her powers and stats by upgrading her cloak, she can also gain special abilities and buffs using magical nail polish. Overworld travel is also done using magical parkour, which lets Frey cover large distances on foot, dashing across fields or jumping to high locations.

I like this kind of off-kilter take on the JRPG formula, just like how I enjoyed the road trip flavor of Final Fantasy 15. It won't be for everyone, particularly purists, but it's new even if maybe just a slight cringe. But I'm willing to take this ride if only to see what Luminous Productions has up their sleeves for their first official outing.

Forspoken_KeyArt_3840x2160_wlogo.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Luminous Production's RPG is gorgeous and ambitious - but it's sorely lacking in personality right now.

Luminous Productions is piecing together the traversal, combat, and environments while a team of talented Western writers is responsible for selling the characters and narrative. It’s clearly a combination of factors hoping to capitalise on Forspoken’s potential global appeal, yet it also feels like a recipe for disaster if the tone and atmosphere end up clashing in ways that won’t become clear until the full game is placed in front of us. I can sympathise with this objective, wanting to break out of the established audience of Final Fantasy to create something entirely new, moving away from normative genre tropes to execute upon something unexpected. But you can’t fake creative ideas like this, and when you do the fallacy beneath it all becomes abundantly clear. Forspoken feels like that, akin to a fake video game you’d see in an episode of NCIS - like it shouldn’t exist but does and the full experience is almost impossible to imagine because the ingredients piecing it together are so generic.

I'm really tearing this thing apart, and I don't intend to, but it feels like it could have been presented in a more compelling way to avoid the cynicism that comes with a project that has clearly been focus-tested so it can appeal to the largest demographic possible instead of chasing a vision that feels original. Forspoken needs to have something to say and not just try to be a fantasy adventure with all of the bells and whistles we've come to expect from such a blockbuster. If it can take the weaker elements of Final Fantasy 15 and curate them into a bold, original adventure it could be truly special, but right now I'm not so sure.

Forspoken-Date.jpg
WWW.CONSOLECREATURES.COM

We got a glimpse of gameplay of next year's Forspoken from Luminous Productions and Square Enix.

Forspoken has always been on my radar and after seeing a bit more of the upcoming title from Luminous Productions, I am intrigued but there is much work to be done until launch. I can see some relation to Final Fantasy XVgiven how familiar a lot of the gameplay elements feel even if they are not as similar by looking at them. I am in the camp that the last numbered entry was a ton of fun, even a bit disjointed but the battle system in Forspokenfeels like it drew from the work of Final Fantasy XV.

forspokentga1-1024x576.jpg?x72619
WWW.FANBYTE.COM

The latest title from Luminous Studio is being made with an international eye using key creative talents from the west.

The structure of the game appears to be your general open world fare of finding main missions and side quests from NPCs to explore the world at large. The hook is the parkour system, which is powered by Frey’s magic. She seamlessly makes tall leaps over giant chasms and tall towers alike, but requires player input to do a lot of her cooler moves. Leveling up makes the parkour last longer, so Frey can travel faster the stronger she becomes.

Overall, I’m not sure if I needed to be more sold on Forspoken, but I’m definitely interested in playing it still. There’s a number of unanswered questions, but my two major issues with Final Fantasy XV were movement and story, and those at least seem to be Luminous Studio’s two major focuses this time around.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forspoken (24 May 2022) - Information Thread, update: multiple hands-off previews/impressions posted

Wait, that first video compares it to Anthem. Is this a drop in drop out looter shooter? Cause the issue was not gameplay or the world in Anthem, that was all fantastic. It was the shitty loot, poor cosmetics and less than engaging story.  But if this is a single player Anthem with a better more cinematic story??? Sign me right the fuck up. 

Also, extremely populated worlds are extremely overrated. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I like the magic, and the movement, but the world looks kind of empty. Also, the AI of enemies seems to be relegated to run in a mostly straight line in hordes at the protagonist. Will need to see more before it gets a purchase decision. 

This is my thoughts exactly. I like it but I'm not fully invested yet until this comes out. I'm definitely waiting for reviews and user impressions before making a decision it getting this.

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forspoken (11 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: release postponed to 11 October 2022
On 3/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, Greatoneshere said:

Luminous Engine is so much better than Unreal Engine. This is why FF15 looks so much better than FF7R. And why this will look much better than FF16.

15 does not look better than 7r. 15 is one of the most bland and boring looking games SE has ever made, imo. 

Of everything they showed, I think the Diofield Chronicles is definitely the most appealing to me.