Horizon Forbidden West - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry hands-on with PC version

SaysWho?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5, 2021) - Information Thread, update: Sony confirms PS4 version
On 6/11/2020 at 7:19 PM, crispy4000 said:

Absolutely delivered, and probably the most next-gen of anything we've seen yet.  I really need to get around to the first game now.

... which makes me more shocked that a PS4 version exists.  Kind of gets me more hyped about what games can look like down the road.

• 8 months later...
53 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Oh wait, this is cross gen, right? I take back what I said. :p still pumped for the game tho

Yep. So I'll just buy it on my Ps4 Pro. It'll look great but I'm hoping it'll look amazing on the ps5. We shall see. That's why I hate this stage of new console releases. 

Looked really good.  I will probably play the original after I finish up Biomutant now.  Will put God of War 3 on hold.

The sequence of events does have me curious how the game plays out.  A lot of it seems so scripted but I know its an open world game where you can tackle things however you want.  Maybe playing the first one will help me understand it a bit better.

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The sequence of events does have me curious how the game plays out.  A lot of it seems so scripted but I know its an open world game where you can tackle things however you want.  Maybe playing the first one will help me understand it a bit better.

That gameplay segment did look more like a level from Uncharted than an open world game. I'm going to guess that they'll try to blend those two together, but who knows.

I couldn't really tell from that clip if you even have the option of fighting the dinos before you go swimming. It seemed like she didn't have the weapons to kill them, but then a few minutes later she's successfully fighting the elephant thing. I'm going to mark it all up to them putting together a demo, and not necessarily representative of how the game plays.

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Looked really good.  I will probably play the original after I finish up Biomutant now.  Will put God of War 3 on hold.

It's gonna look more scripted than it is, but I can tell much of this is spontaneous. The trailers for the first Horizon felt the same because Aloy is talking, but they mostly do it to emphasize the stuff you can do.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5, 2021) - Information Thread, update: "State of Play" gameplay footage (14 minutes)

Looks gorgeous. But the first game was gorgeous too, that wasn't what I had a problem with. I'm hoping the combat is more varied. It does look like they added some things to mix it up a little. Hopefully it's enough to where each fight doesn't turn into a rinse and repeat "dodge dodge shoot" mini-boss fight. About halfway through the game I started trying to avoid as many fights as possible cuz I was so tired of them.

Watching some of it again in 4K and it's quite pretty. I even went so far as to load the original onto my PS5, but I'd really love some kind of PS5 patch. I'll hold out hope for a bit, hoping they do something before Forbidden West releases. Since we still don't have a release date, I have the feeling we could be in for a bit of a wait.

29 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Looks really good. Did Aloy talk to herself that much in the original? I can’t remember. It was funny that she did that underwater, I assumed she was speaking aloud but I guess not. :p

In the first trailer for the original, she absolutely did.  However, that was not present in the actual game itself.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In the first trailer for the original, she absolutely did.  However, that was not present in the actual game itself.

I just played through the game on PC last month and I found she talks to herself quite a bit. Like a lot more than most other protagonists. She talks to herself in lieu of the game giving you fourth wall breaking hints. Maybe I just suck, because I heard her repeatedly say stuff like "They won't see me here" or "Maybe I can get up from that ledge over there" or "I safely got away".

The first time I climbed up towards GAIA she kept talking to herself about how the machines didn't want her to be there and how they must be defending something important...only to kill everything there and then learn it was a deadend because the path wasn't open that early in the game. I literally only made my way to there specifically because she kept talking about how dangerous the path up seemed.

20 hours ago, stepee said:

The environments seem more dynamic now and less like kind of the static feeling open world of the first one. 

Not really.

@Xbob42 I noticed in the gameplay footage the foliage doesn't interact with Alloy like in the first game. That was something you pointed out and it looks like they did the same thing here. Minus the bushes she can hide in which moved in the first one. 

While impressive, it didn't blow me away at all. It only looked more advanced in spots compared to the first so I'm a bit disappointed. Still, it looks cool and I'll eventually play it. Probably just on my ps4 pro. The scale will probably be most impressive with a dynamic sky this go around, too.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Looks really good. Did Aloy talk to herself that much in the original? I can’t remember. It was funny that she did that underwater, I assumed she was speaking aloud but I guess not. :p

She spoke to herself a lot in the first game. Nothing new here.