Horizon Forbidden West - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry hands-on with PC version

SaysWho?

I have no interest in this game but I’m with @best3444on this subject. Why wouldn’t you want to play any new game on the PS5 regardless of how much better it might look or run? Even if the improvements are subtle I’d still wanna play my games on the best system possible. And all of you saying it’s gonna run great on the PS4 I assume you’ll be playing it on that system instead of your PS5. Right? No difference right?

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you have nothing to compare it to, running "fine" is as good as it's going to get for you.

Well I do have something to compare it to. I'm currently playing Valhalla at 4K 60fps so I will be a bit let down when playing Horizon Forbidden West at 30fps and whatever resolution they can pull off on the PS4 Pro. It's not a big deal overall but it'll definitely run and look better on the ps5. 

At least I have Elden Ring to look forward to at what I assume will be 4K 60fps on the xsx. 

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

I have no interest in this game but I’m with @best3444on this subject. Why wouldn’t you want to play any new game on the PS5 regardless of how much better it might look or run? Even if the improvements are subtle I’d still wanna play my games on the best system possible. And all of you saying it’s gonna run great on the PS4 I assume you’ll be playing it on that system instead of your PS5. Right? No difference right?

Of course @best3444 and I would play it on PS5 instead of on PS4 if we could, but neither of us have a PS5 so our only option is to play it on PS4. @best3444 has been spoiled by the improvements of current gen because he has an Xbox Series X, so that’s why it’s going to be a little difficult for him to play a new current gen game on a last gen console. I myself haven’t been spoiled by current gen yet because I only have a PS4, so Horizon Forbidden West is going to look and run just fine on it for me. :p

If you have nothing to compare it to, running "fine" is as good as it's going to get for you.

Exactly, ignorance is bliss for me. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Exactly, ignorance is bliss for me. :lol:

Yup. I was the same for years until I finally seen games run at 60 etc. You'll be fine but the pro version will still be even superior over the base PS4 version. Both in resolution and framerates. So you're really ignorant haha. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5, 18 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Story" trailer and PlayStation Blog post
hfw_screen_logo_ps5_storytrailer_varl_4k
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

The latest trailer focused heavily on the game’s story and characters. We chatted with narrative director Benjamin McCaw and senior writer Annie Kitain for more context.

McCaw also revealed that esteemed Hollywood actress Angela Bassett (Black Panther, What's Love Got To Do With It, Malcolm X) portrays Regalla.

The shot then focuses on a new character donning white and gold. Guerrilla identified her as Tilda, and beloved actress Carrie-Anne Moss (The Matrix, Momento) brings her to life. "She is a mysterious and complicated character with a special connection to the ancient past," Kitain says. "She's someone who we look forward to players unraveling the secret of what she's all about."

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

That looked epic. I'm going to play Elden Ring first before I tackle this though.

I have a lot more interest in Horizon Forbidden West than I do in Elden Ring since I’m not the biggest fan of Soulsborne games partly because I suck at them, but also because I like an emphasis on story and characters in action adventure games and RPGs. And of course I’m also a big fan of the original Horizon game as well. I wasn’t planning on buying Horizon Forbidden West on day one, but after watching that story trailer I just might.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5, 18 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Meet the Cast" video

Man, February is stacked. I can't wait to get into these games. That preview looked so damn good. 

And there is also Total War Warhammer 3, which I'm also extremely excited for.

And Sifu, which they are launching at an extremely bad time. That game is going to be completely ignored by gamers, and it's sad, because the game looks incredible. There is no way im going to be playing anything but ER, HFW, and TW:W3 for at least a couple of months. Total War alone, ill probably put hundreds of hours into over it's life span. 

If we really get GoW:R, BotW2, and Hogwarts Legacy actually turns out to be great, this might be the best year of gaming ever. It could top 2018.

And if Final Fantasy 16 drops and is as good as it looks, wow.... 👌 

Its unbelievable Watching how gaming has progressed since I got my NES in '87, thinking things couldn't possibly get better. So naive. I remember my grandfather being completely awed by the fact that I could control the "little man" on the screen. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

As much as it will pain me I think I’m gonna wait till after Elden ring to play this. Souls games are just too much fun to play along with the community for the first time as opposed to catching up later. 

Agreed. But I don't think im going to wait, im just going to play what I can until Elden Ring drops. Im too hyped for this. But yeah, definitely being part of the zeitgeist makes these games even more incredible. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5, 18 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: Hands-On Preview (IGN)

Written IGN article:

horizonforbiddenwest-blogroll-03-1643070
WWW.IGN.COM

After four hours of Horizon Forbidden West hands-on, Aloy's new adventure is clearly going to offer a lot more depth, freedom, and fun than its already great predecessor.

Nearly every misgiving I had about Zero Dawn seems to have been thought through, and then some, while everything I loved has only been improved upon. Aloy’s new journey seems more robust and rewarding than I expected, while retaining the wonder and awe that its predecessor delivered on. I still don’t know quite what the Forbidden West itself will hold, but after my hands-on, I’ve never been more excited to find out.

6 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

As much as it will pain me I think I’m gonna wait till after Elden ring to play this. Souls games are just too much fun to play along with the community for the first time as opposed to catching up later. 

This is me, too. It sucks they're not split up but we as the gamer have the choice to make. Great start of the year, though.

I'd be down for the Digital Deluxe if only for the artbook and soundtrack but not at $80. They've already jacked the price up $10 more for current gen first party games as it is.

I forgot that they charge $10 more for first party PS5 games. That’s one reason why @best3444 shouldn’t be too upset about having to get the PS4 version of Horizon Forbidden West, because it’s $10 cheaper than the PS5 version. :p

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

I forgot that they charge $10 more for first party PS5 games. That’s one reason why @best3444 shouldn’t be too upset about having to get the PS4 version of Horizon Forbidden West, because it’s $10 cheaper than the PS5 version. :p

I've come to peace that I'm playing this at 30fps and at a lower resolution than the ps5. It'll still be fucking awesome. But I'm not playing this until I'm finished with Elden Ring. 

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'd be down for the Digital Deluxe if only for the artbook and soundtrack but not at $80. They've already jacked the price up $10 more for current gen first party games as it is.

This game is still $60 cause the backlash of promising free upgrades for "launch" games.  So Digital Deluxe is $70.  

7 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

This game is still $60 cause the backlash of promising free upgrades for "launch" games.  So Digital Deluxe is $70.  

Better check the store page then mate. It's $70 for regular next gen, $80 for digital deluxe. The only thing that happened because of the backlash is the ability to update the game from past gen version so they graciously gave people the ability to pay $10 to upgrade the PS4 version to PS5 which initially there was none.

35 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Better check the store page then mate. It's $70 for regular next gen, $80 for digital deluxe. The only thing that happened because of the backlash is the ability to update the game from past gen version so they graciously gave people the ability to pay $10 to upgrade the PS4 version to PS5 which initially there was none.

I’m waiting for the Directors Cut

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Really? I thought they walked it back and were giving this game for $60, but announced every other cross gen game would be $10 more on the PS5.  

So did they end up going back on this claim?

d08da590-0e4c-11ec-af9d-da71a1aca7e3
WWW.ENGADGET.COM

Sony has backtracked and promised 'Horizon Forbidden West' PS4 buyers will get a free upgrade to the PS5 version — but don't expect that for other titles..

Sony won't make you pay to upgrade Horizon Forbidden West after all. The company's Interactive Entertainment chief Jim Ryan announced that Forbidden West PS4 players will get to upgrade to the PS5 version for free, as Sony promised last September. The tech giant "missed the mark" and will stand by its original pledge, Ryan said.

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Really? I thought they walked it back and were giving this game for $60, but announced every other cross gen game would be $10 more on the PS5. 

HO8vkO9pfXhwbHi5WHECQJdN.png
WWW.PLAYSTATION.COM

Get Horizon Forbidden West on PS4 and PS5. See the latest news, trailers, screenshots and more. Join Aloy as she braves the Forbidden West, a majestic but dangerous frontier that conceals mysterious new threats.

I think you're misremembering the statement. It was, this game will get an upgrade but they drew the line saying no more upgrades after this.

So when you look at the store, from the PS5, it won't show you the PS4 listing.  I pre-ordered a few days ago and could have sworn it was $60/$70 for Digital Deluxe but I see I was wrong and I paid the $10 PS5 fee.  I think I went on Playstation Store Online I could buy the PS4 version, then maybe upgrade when it releases to the PS5 version?

They should have just charged $60 for this game across the board and make good on their word, and then move on to the $70 prices.  Such a shady way to conduct business.