Horizon Forbidden West - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry hands-on with PC version

SaysWho?

I finally started the original after finishing Halo.

The world itself is beautiful, and I really can appreciate the enemy design.  They are creative, unique, and a cool take on a typical dinosaur/monster type enemy.  

The gameplay isn't bad, but it's not quite as crisp as I'd like.  Aiming with the bow doesn't feel great, and melee combat isn't very well done.  Just aimlessly roll then attack, roll then attack.   The gadgets and traps are cool and well done.  I find the majority of the time though I'm trying to just stealth kill everything though as the combat itself isn't a highlight.

Feels a bit more like an Ubisoft game where I'm chasing icons more than naturally exploring, which takes a little away from the world design.  Breathe of the Wild released around the same time, and I hope that influenced the sequel.

From what little ive watched of the previews, the combat does seem to be better done too, so that would also be a nice step up.  You can tell there is a really great game here, and I expect the sequel to easily correct the little issues I've had with it and really be something special.

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Which weapons are from the expansion?  Ive been playing it but not sure whats original and what was added.

Specifically the icerail/stormslinger/forgefire. Those things are needed imo against the new robots, which are large, quick, and aggressive, but they're pretty powerful damned things for the regular enemies.

On 12/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, best3444 said:

Somebody help me buy a ps5 for this and Ratchet. How have you obtained yours?

Occasionally, PS5s are part of the Newegg Shuffle, so you could start there. 

I actually got selected for the Shuffle last week for a 12700k, and 32GB of DDR5 memory, but didn't feel compelled to pay 700 bucks for the privilege. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, imthesoldier said:

Occasionally, PS5s are part of the Newegg Shuffle, so you could start there. 

I actually got selected for the Shuffle last week for a 12700k, and 32GB of DDR5 memory, but didn't feel compelled to pay 700 bucks for the privilege. 

Thank you. There is a thread on this very subject in the front page. It gives you plenty of ideas in how to obtain a ps5.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5, 18 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Tribes of the Forbidden West" trailer and PlayStation Blog post

I just started playing some HZD on the PS5 and in some scenes it looks really great, especially compared to the OG PS4 I first played it on. It's a shame they didn't have time to optimize it further. The LOD pop-in is still quite bad and loading times obviously don't take full advantage of the PS5's SSD. Overall it still looks great.

hfw_daunt_vista.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

From a less cluttered HUD to a revamped skill tree, Guerrilla Games is making some smart changes for the sequel.

A couple:

Livelier Locales
Guerrilla wants settlements to feel “more lived in” and exciting to explore. This means townspeople will be more active, and you’ll experience fun little moments throughout their day. “We’ve upgraded our civilians and settlements since the last game with an improved crowd system, better animations, and much better audio,” McCaw says. “So everything should feel a little bit more authentic and lifelike.” During our demo, as we headed toward a tavern, we saw folks stumbling around outside of it, muttering incoherent sentiments and searching for their drink. Entering the actual tavern, things became more spirited, with patrons passionately ranting about their troubles, happily dancing together, and even a group singing merrily about their drunken tales as they banged on their table to establish a beat. 

A Revamped Skill Tree
Guerrilla has completely revamped the skill tree to give players more options to play how they want. It now features six different playstyles: warrior (melee), trapper (placing/disarming traps), hunter (ranged weapons), survivor (health/resource), infiltrator (stealth), and machine master (hacking). It appears each specialization has approximately 20-30 skills. The trees offer a mix of active skills, like using fewer resources in crafting, and passive boosts, like low health regen. Each tree also has its own unique Valor Surge, which are new special skills that can be executed once you fill up a meter by playing tactfully. In addition, certain boosts and skills can be upgraded to higher levels to raise their effectiveness. However, the biggest game-changer is the outfit and weave boosts, which can take certain skills past their level cap, raising some stats 300 percent.

A Less Cluttered HUD
If you thought there was too much on the screen to keep track of in Horizon Zero Dawn, you weren’t alone. Guerrilla took that feedback to heart going into Forbidden West and worked to have fewer distractions on the screen. “By default, the game starts on a minimalist mode, where there’s as little HUD information on the screen as possible,” explains de Jonge. “But in this mode, you can also just swipe up on the touchpad, and that will immediately bring up all the important information, such as objectives, or maybe your health, or your inventory.”

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, best3444 said:

Leaked ps4 version. They say the ps5 version looks so much better. Fuck me in the ass.

Based on what I’ve heard about the leaked PS4 version footage is that people are surprised by how good that it looks. Of course the PS5 version is going to look better, but it seems that the PS4 version is impressive looking in its own right too.

• Like 1

As I've been going through a new game+ of HZD, I've come up with a short list of things I'm really hoping to see improved in the sequel:

Traversal is just bad, while on foot and mounted. Mounts are too slow, too limited in how they climb, and just not as good as they should be in such a big game. The on-foot experience is much worse though. If you're on flat ground or going through a very specific path that's been laid out, it's fine. If you have to deal with any terrain or want to explore, it can be painful. Thankfully this looks like something that Forbidden West has really put effort into, so I'm excited to see how that goes.

Another thing they've already mentioned improving is the hand to hand combat, which is basically non-existent in HZD. Basically any effort at all would be a big improvement.

A small weapons related thing I'd like to see is more weapon customization. Mods are fine, but I feel like I should be able to select which arrows I use on which bows. I'm sure that the weapon selection will be different, so maybe this won't even be needed.

One other small thing that makes a big difference is the collection aspect. The game wants you to constantly loot everything or else risk running out of materials for crafting stuff, but also throws in a bunch of junk. What's worse is that so much of that junk is potentially useful, so you kinda don't want to sell it. The inventory should be bigger, looting should be faster, automatic, or less necessary, and inventory items should either have a clear purpose or be clearly marked as junk and easy to sell in bulk.

Also, while I don't really mind the animal parts being necessary for capacity upgrades, the drops are way too rare. I bet I'll finish my newgame+ save (having done most of the sidequests in my first go and very few on my second) without having upgraded all my stuff completely, but having spent a decent amount of time hunting. How many freaking raccoons are running around without skin or bones!?

Overall though, it's still a wonderful game. A highlight of the generation, with a unique setting and aesthetic that also manages to be really fun to play. Really looking forward to the sequel next month.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Based on what I’ve heard about the leaked PS4 version footage is that people are surprised by how good that it looks. Of course the PS5 version is going to look better, but it seems that the PS4 version is impressive looking in its own right too.

Well I will be playing on my pro so hopefully that extra horse power does some good! I really look forward to the game.

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

This game is looking so damn incredible.

Its gonna be a packed last half of February. Its gonna be hard not to abandon this for Elden Ring though, because the demo was so damn incredible.

I would focus on beating West then put all your attention into Ring.

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Yes, but he’s convinced himself that the PS4 version is going to look like ass compared to the PS5 version despite people who’ve seen leaked footage of it saying that it looks impressive.

They will look damn near identical, with the PS5 version being 60fps, is my assumption.  Has the footage we've seen really look that much better than was the PS4 was already doing?

• Shocked 1