Horizon Forbidden West - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry hands-on with PC version

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So inspiring that he still games at his age.  Gives me hope.

I saw something a while back where he mentioned Dead Space. Imagine making that game, clearly inspired by The Thing as probably a childhood favorite, and Carpenter ends up playing it and raving about it. I'd fucking faint.

been a couple of months since I got around to replaying and actually finishing the original game so am I just not remembering or are the controls somewhat different in Forbidden West? 

Pretty solid opening, played through the opening (not sure how I beat the first boss-esque creature not because it was hard I just felt like I never actually hit it, lol, and have made my way to the first town on the journey west. 

It took me roughly four hours to finish the beginning linear prologue/tutorial section before making it to the open world. The opening credit sequence is nicely done with a good song playing during it. The game oozes quality, and production values.

The graphics are probably the best that I’ve seen for a PS4 game, they’re colorful, detailed and have impressive lighting and visual effects. The voice acting is topnotch, and the music is great too. Gameplay and traversal are smooth and responsive, and combat is satisfying.

Everything just seems improved over the first game, and I’m really impressed with what I’ve experienced so far. I look forward to playing it some more.

• Thanks 1

A few hours in, have only done maybe one or two "main" missions; have mainly just been derping around the first bigger open area. A few impressions so far.

The character models in general are really awesome. The level of fidelity and how they interact with the environments is almost all incredibly good. It does make a couple oddities stand out as exceptions, there have been a couple dudes whose beards look like they're clean shaven people acting as someone with facial hair in a SNL skit or something. :p Aloy in particular looks great of course, and most of the other main character so far really do also.

There's still something about the dialogue that seems out of place for the setting depending on who's talking, but it happens somewhat frequently. I don't know how to describe it other than that some of the characters come off like someone at a Renaissance Fair who hasn't bothered to change their voice or vocabulary for the occasion. The first game was like this too, so I assume it's deliberate at this point, but it still comes off odd to me.

The climbing is still a little weird. There are a few towers very early on and there's unless you rely on the Focus, there's nothing in the environment that would indicate where you can climb. There are lots of jumps Aloy could make based on how how high she usually jumps that the game won't let you make, there are obstacles that she easily hurdles most of the time that you can't just because there's a goodie behind them, etc. It's a strange hedge between the "climb anything" approach in Breath of the Wild and the "climb very little" approach of the Horizon.

Ashly Burch does a really great job voicing Aloy again. You always know where Aloy's head is at but it never feels over the top.

Anyway, so far so good. My main concern after the first Horizon was that I wouldn't care enough about the world to come back since Aloy's story was the most compelling part of the first one for me, but I'm back in it after the first little bit. Playing on Hard and so far it seems like a decent mix of challenge and fun. I have some thoughts about where things could go based on how the first one ended, curious to see if they end up being anywhere near correct.

• Thanks 1

Game is so good. Im only level 19, and just keep seeing more and more amazing stuff.

Melee still doesn't feel great, climbing can be a headache sometimes, but otherwise the game is incredible. Last year, this might have been in contention for my goty. This year, that may be a bit harder, but damn im having way more fun than I did with the first game.

Having environmental markers and interactive objects always on definitely makes this more enjoyable for me.

I hope the wrong lesson isn’t taken from this game in regards to density and geometry. It does make it harder to see what you are doing in this game sometimes, at least early on, but the issue is that the movement is restrained still. It’s because to climb something you have to find the specific thing that you are allowed to climb. Dying Light 2 can be packed with geometry and foilage and post processing and effects and you never have the same issue as here because the rules of what you can climb are consistent.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Do you plan on having this beat before next Friday?

No clue, but ill put off ER a day or two if im not. Game is absolutely incredible. Possibly the nicest world ive ever seen in a game. Its a stark contrast to the emptiness of a game world like botw (which I love). This is just packed with detail.

• Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

No clue, but ill put off ER a day or two if im not. Game is absolutely incredible. Possibly the nicest world ive ever seen in a game. Its a stark contrast to the emptiness of a game world like botw (which I love). This is just packed with detail.

Damn. I'm so tempted to start it but I want to put all my focus on Elden Ring. I'm really looking forward to this though. Glad to hear it turned out awesome. 

1 hour ago, Rev said:

How big of a leap is this Horizon from the first one on PC? I want to get this but I'm a bit broke right now so I'm trying to convince myself to hold off until I can afford it.

Youll be taking a pretty decent step down in IQ (assuming you’d choose the 60fps mode) but everything else on screen is a pretty significant step up. I’d put this more on the level of pc games like Cyberpunk and Dying Light 2 than Horizon ZD pc. Just how the environment reacts to the character alone is a huge improvement. The modeling and motion capture for characters is some next level shit and without equal in an actual released game.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Youll be taking a pretty decent step down in IQ (assuming you’d choose the 60fps mode) but everything else on screen is a pretty significant step up. I’d put this more on the level of pc games like Cyberpunk and Dying Light 2 than Horizon ZD pc. Just how the environment reacts to the character alone is a huge improvement. The modeling and motion capture for characters is some next level shit and without equal in an actual released game.

That's very good to hear, I remember in HZD like half the shit in the world didn't react at all or had almost a comically small reaction. Like plants and water felt like Aloy was just overlaid over a static background that refused to have decent splashes or foliage movement or anything. This stuff in particular felt especially bad compared to BotW, because it's the little things like that that really sell a character being in a world, which people mistook for nitpicking, despite Nintendo getting it right on basically a shitty cell phone.

I think it's incredibly important to step back from your hyper-realistic facial animations and clogged pores and make sure that if I shoot the water with my bow the fucking thing splashes and ripples and whatnot.

19 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

That's very good to hear, I remember in HZD like half the shit in the world didn't react at all or had almost a comically small reaction. Like plants and water felt like Aloy was just overlaid over a static background that refused to have decent splashes or foliage movement or anything. This stuff in particular felt especially bad compared to BotW, because it's the little things like that that really sell a character being in a world, which people mistook for nitpicking, despite Nintendo getting it right on basically a shitty cell phone.

I think it's incredibly important to step back from your hyper-realistic facial animations and clogged pores and make sure that if I shoot the water with my bow the fucking thing splashes and ripples and whatnot.

Well don’t get too carried away now, the water won’t ripple if you shoot an arrow in it. It does react to you, and the fish, and some other things I think have physics enabled but not projectiles. But yeah Horizon felt like she was overlaid on a pre rendered background almost, that is gone here. And the water physics that are here are very nice.