Horizon Forbidden West - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry hands-on with PC version

SaysWho?

@stepee JFC this game took off for me today. The visuals absolutely floored me in the sections I played today. I'm glad I gave this game as many chances as I have. 

But really, this has the best graphics to date. I accidentally read a spoiler that happened today that would have shocked me but I knew it was coming.

Spoiler

Varl getting killed. After that when you meet up with the zenith in her replica "home" that environment all together was stunning. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee JFC this game took off for me today. The visuals absolutely floored me in the sections I played today. I'm glad I gave this game as many chances as I have. 

But really, this has the best graphics to date. I accidentally read a spoiler that happened today that would have shocked me but I knew it was coming.

Reveal hidden contents

yeah I told you the game keeps getting better as it goes on, really gets you hyped for the next one

• True 1

28 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The point that he’s at, you can’t go back.

I didn’t know that, but what I said was meant as a little joke because he said earlier that he was completely ignoring the side quests in the game and in these types of big open world action RPGs doing the side quests help level you up for the final parts of them.

• True 1
  • Sicko 1

I didn't have the difficulty all the way down to "story". I thought easy was the lowest difficulty setting. On story, it was an utter joke. :p

Phenomenal game and I wish my head was straight to fully appreciate it but I think this is a type of game I'll come back to in like 2 years to fully dissect.

It has some flaws but overall it's really well done. I can't state just how good this game looks and like I said, it's like they saved the best for last visually. It's going to be tough to beat this technically for quite some time largely because of the scale.

Aloy grew on me even though she can be overly talkative and ruin gameplay lol. She is a great character and can be badass at times. 

• 1 month later...

HFW-TBS_Key_Art_Website_Crops_SEO.webp
WWW.GUERRILLA-GAMES.COM

We’re thrilled to announce Burning Shores, our expansion to Horizon Forbidden West which sees Aloy pursue a sinister threat in the untamed wilds of Los Angeles, now a treacherous volcanic archipelago.

Our creative vision for the Burning Shores is an ambitious expansion which will take Aloy to the ruins of Los Angeles. It's an overgrown and fractured city that can be fully explored via the water and flying on the back of a Sunwing. A massive machine threat lurks in its shadows – a huge challenge that Aloy must overcome by using all of her skills and abilities. To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we’ve made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for the PlayStation®5 console.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Horizon Forbidden West - Information Thread, update: "Burning Shores" DLC announced for 19 April 2023 release (PS5 only)

I have a feeling this expansion, which will involve flying as a primary component and will likely expand on it a lot, will require a lot of fast asset streaming that the ps4 wouldn’t be able to keep up with. 

They could have maybe designed a different type of dlc than they are doing, but we are way past the point where developers should be compromising anything for systems released about a decade ago.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I have a feeling this expansion, which will involve flying as a primary component and will likely expand on it a lot, will require a lot of fast asset streaming that the ps4 wouldn’t be able to keep up with. 

They could have maybe designed a different type of dlc than they are doing, but we are way past the point where developers should be compromising anything for systems released about a decade ago.

Yeah, the old consoles are just ancient at this point. Let's unshackle the developers already.

• Halal 1

43 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah, the old consoles are just ancient at this point. Let's unshackle the developers already.

For God sakes, yes. The PS4 is ancient and shouldn't be developed for anymore. 

Phase needs to get a PS5 and start gaming like the rest of us. 2023 is going to be epic for these current gen consoles. 

4 hours ago, legend said:

I'm pretty ready to leave the last gen in the dust.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

we are way past the point where developers should be compromising anything for systems released about a decade ago.

3 hours ago, legend said:

That’s understandable for future games, but this is an expansion to a cross-gen game so its DLC shouldn’t be exclusive to the current gen version. If they weren’t planning to make the DLC for the PS4 version as well, then they shouldn’t have released the game for PS4. It’s unfair to those of us who bought it for PS4 to have to miss out on its continued content.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

The PS4 is ancient and shouldn't be developed for anymore.

Should the Switch still be developed for, because it’s even more ancient than the PS4 when it comes to tech. I don’t see a problem with companies still developing and releasing games for PS4 if it can run them reasonably well, at least for a little while longer anyway.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Phase needs to get a PS5 and start gaming like the rest of us. 2023 is going to be epic for these current gen consoles. 

I’m good with my PS4 for now, I have over 800 games for it and I play a lot of AA and indie games so I don’t really need the extra horsepower of the PS5 quite yet. Some of my most anticipated games next year (Dead Island 2, Diablo IV, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn, Granblue Fantasy: Relink, Hogwarts Legacy, Scars Above, Sea of Stars, Street Fighter 6) are all coming to PS4, so I’m still satisfied with it for now.

21 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

That’s all well and good for future games, but this is an expansion to a cross-gen game so its DLC shouldn’t be exclusive to the current gen version. If they weren’t planning to make the DLC for the PS4 version as well, then they shouldn’t have released the game for PS4. It’s unfair to those of us who bought it for PS4 to have to miss out on its continued content.

Should the Switch still be developed for, because it’s even more ancient than the PS4 when it comes to tech. I don’t see a problem with companies still developing and releasing games for PS4 if it can run them reasonably well, at least for a little while longer anyway.

I’m good with my PS4 for now, I have over 800 games for it and I play a lot of AA and indie games so I don’t really need the extra horsepower of the PS5 quite yet. Some of my most anticipated games next year (Dead Island 2, Diablo IV, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn, Granblue Fantasy: Relink, Hogwarts Legacy, Scars Above, Sea of Stars, Street Fighter 6) are all coming to PS4, so I’m still satisfied with it for now.

I see you steer away from most AAA titles and focus on AA lower budget games. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that so I'm glad you're still enjoying your PS4.

If you can afford it it though, I'd pull the trigger on a PS5 next year sometime. There will be a library of over 10 games at least worthy of buying the PS5. 

• True 1

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I see you steer away from most AAA titles and focus on AA lower budget games. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that so I'm glad you're still enjoying your PS4.

I don’t really steer away from most AAA games, I just usually wait to buy them when they’re cheaper because not only can’t I really afford to buy them at full price when they come out but I also don’t find a lot of them to be worth full price. However, I do admittedly gravitate toward AA and indie games a lot because many of them have retro charm, and they tend to take creative chances more than a lot of AAA games do.

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If you can afford it it though, I'd pull the trigger on a PS5 next year sometime. There will be a library of over 10 games at least worthy of buying the PS5. 

I can’t really afford it, but next year would be a little too soon for me to get a PS5 anyway since there’s still a lot of games coming to PS4 that I want. The earliest that I plan on getting a PS5 is 2024.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

For God sakes, yes. The PS4 is ancient and shouldn't be developed for anymore. 

so do I :cry:

53 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

That’s all well and good for future games, but this is an expansion to a cross-gen game so its DLC shouldn’t be exclusive to the current gen version. If they weren’t planning to make the DLC for the PS4 version as well, then they shouldn’t have released the game for PS4. It’s unfair to those of us who bought it for PS4 to have to miss out on its continued content.

I kind of agree, especially since we're in the same situation (tho I really need to get back and finish since I was right near  the end) but I can also understand the shift to fully focus on the ps5

It’s just I really feel that what they wanted to do here might not have been possible on ps4. But we will see. I think it’s fair for a dlc expansion to be current gen only if the developers vision requires it as it’s time now. They never promised dlc with the original release also. And you can upgrade FW free when you get a ps5 and then get the dlc on it.

And phase, if you really need to play this when it comes out we’d prob get you one :p

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

It’s just I really feel that what they wanted to do here might not have been possible on ps4. But we will see. I think it’s fair for a dlc expansion to be current gen only if the developers vision requires it as it’s time now. They never promised dlc with the original release also. And you can upgrade FW free when you get a ps5 and then get the dlc on it.

You’re right, but it still seems a little odd to me that they would choose to make additional content for the game that can only be on PS5 when there’s also a PS4 version. I can understand them making the next full game in the series for PS5 only, but not the DLC for this one. But it is what it is, and I’m over it now. :p

2 hours ago, stepee said:

And phase, if you really need to play this when it comes out we’d prob get you one :p

Yeah I know, and I really appreciate it. But I’m just not ready for a PS5 right now for various reasons. However, if you all still offer to get me one in 2024 then I just might take you up on it. :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

8 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

You’re right, but it still seems a little odd to me that they would choose to make additional content for the game that can only be on PS5 when there’s also a PS4 version. I can understand them making the next full game in the series for PS5 only, but not the DLC for this one. But it is what it is, and I’m over it now. :p

Yeah I know, and I really appreciate it. But I’m just not ready for a PS5 right now for various reasons. However, if you all still offer to get me one in 2024 then I just might take you up on it. :thumbup:

Devs want to be done with the ps4, and frankly, I’m also ok with that.

And yes, I’d be fine with devs ditching the switch to push Nintendo into releasing its next console. Not that it’ll ever happen, but I would be fine with that.

Last Gen was old when this one released. Support for it really should have ended at the end of ‘21. 

• True 1

11 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

It doesn't seem unfair to me unless they promised you additional DLC with the purchase. Which I don't think they did? And if not, you did get what you paid for. I can see being irritated if we were still in the state where you're trying to get a PS5, but just can't find one and then you get left out. But we're kind of past that too.

Regardless of the fairness of it though, I think there is a simple answer to your question: having to support older hardware is limiting and no one ones to be artificially limited in their creation. Many things can be made to scale across hardware, but not everything, and the amount you can scale shrinks as the difference in power grows. And even if it *is* possible to scale it, that doesn't make it easy and may be logistically impractical to try.

It's why historically console generations have been important: because it frees developers to create things they may have wanted to create, but previously could not. That's the very reason they've given you for why they're making this DLC PS5 only too. Because the PS4 otherwise limits them from what they wanted to do.

As a gaming enthusiast, I don't want to shackle developers. I want them to be able to realize the best version of the vision they have. Imposing needless constraints is a good way to get a worse product.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I honestly don't get why he can't get a PS5 with everything he owns and can trade. Unless he's on a $2 a day budget. Christ, I was poor and bought my PS5. 

I also bought a PS5 I could barely afford. Still unsure if that was a good decision. Got PS+ and downloaded almost every exclusive I had missed over the last couple years, then I thought “yeah, I could’ve just kept my PS4 copy of Ragnarok. I don’t really need all this”. 

I think for phase it’s more that he wants to get through the stuff he has on ps4 and thinks he’s less likely to if he gets a ps5 now so he’s trying to discipline himself. But certain new things he wishes he could still play, but i don’t think he means to say it’s the end of the world when he complains.

• True 1

15 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Devs want to be done with the ps4, and frankly, I’m also ok with that.

And yes, I’d be fine with devs ditching the switch to push Nintendo into releasing its next console. Not that it’ll ever happen, but I would be fine with that.

Last Gen was old when this one released. Support for it really should have ended at the end of ‘21. 

Devs pretty much should be done with the PS4 at this point except for perhaps AA and indie games that can still look and run good on it, there’s no harm in releasing them for it as well if it’s capable of playing them fine. But big AAA games shouldn’t be held back to still be played on it, they should definitely be made to take full advantage of current gen hardware. The only point that I was making is that Horizon Forbidden West is a PS4 and PS5 game not just a PS5 one, so its DLC should be available for both versions of the game as well not just for the PS5 version IMO.

12 hours ago, legend said:

It doesn't seem unfair to me unless they promised you additional DLC with the purchase. Which I don't think they did? And if not, you did get what you paid for. I can see being irritated if we were still in the state where you're trying to get a PS5, but just can't find one and then you get left out. But we're kind of past that too.

Regardless of the fairness of it though, I think there is a simple answer to your question: having to support older hardware is limiting and no one ones to be artificially limited in their creation. Many things can be made to scale across hardware, but not everything, and the amount you can scale shrinks as the difference in power grows. And even if it *is* possible to scale it, that doesn't make it easy and may be logistically impractical to try.

It's why historically console generations have been important: because it frees developers to create things they may have wanted to create, but previously could not. That's the very reason they've given you for why they're making this DLC PS5 only too. Because the PS4 otherwise limits them from what they wanted to do.

As a gaming enthusiast, I don't want to shackle developers. I want them to be able to realize the best version of the vision they have. Imposing needless constraints is a good way to get a worse product.

Regardless if DLC was promised or not doesn’t change the fact that it still feels a bit unfair to me that they released the main game for both PS4 and PS5, but are only going to create additional content for the PS5 version. Of course they can do that if the PS4 can’t handle what they have envisioned for it which is obviously the case, but I still feel like I’m being short-changed a little since I have the PS4 version and don’t get to experience any of the game’s additional content because it’s exclusive to the PS5 version. Of course I don’t expect devs to compromise their vision of a game just for it to look and run well on older gen consoles, but we’re talking about DLC here and not a whole new game. I’m a gaming enthusiast as well, and I also don’t want to shackle devs. I plan on getting a PS5 eventually, so I naturally want every game going forward to take as full advantage of it as possible and not be compromised for older gen consoles despite currently only owning a PS4. But since Horizon Forbidden West is also a PS4 game I expected its DLC to be available for both versions of the game as well, not just for the PS5 version. But like I’ve said, I’m over it at this point.

11 hours ago, Biggie said:

Trade in your PS4 along with the gazillion games you never play and buy a PS5. 

Jagyasini Singh GIF

@Phaseknox

I plan on playing the gazillion PS4 games that I have, but there’s only so much time in a day which is part of the reason why I’m in no real rush to get a PS5.

10 hours ago, best3444 said:

I honestly don't get why he can't get a PS5 with everything he owns and can trade. Unless he's on a $2 a day budget. Christ, I was poor and bought my PS5. 

The majority of games that I have are digital, so I can’t trade them in. But I don’t want to trade them in anyway, because I want to play them. That’s why I bought them. :p If I really wanted a PS5 that badly right now then I could probably manage to get one somehow, but I don’t.  :shrug:

8 hours ago, stepee said:

I think for phase it’s more that he wants to get through the stuff he has on ps4 and thinks he’s less likely to if he gets a ps5 now so he’s trying to discipline himself. But certain new things he wishes he could still play, but i don’t think he means to say it’s the end of the world when he complains.

Exactly. It’s not even really about discipline since I can play all of my PS4 games on PS5, I just don’t have a need for a PS5 right now. There’s currently only a few current gen only games that I’m really interested in, and I also want to wait and get the detachable disc drive PS5 since I’ve had disc drive problems with some of my consoles in the past. This way if the disc drive goes bad, I can just replace it without having to replace the entire PS5. Also, graphics and performance aren’t that big of a deal to me when it comes to games. Part of that is because I play a lot of AA and indie games, but I’m still fairly satisfied with how the best looking PS4 games look and perform for the most part as well. My main reason for getting a new console is more about wanting to be able to play the games for it that I can’t on my older consoles anymore, and less about the graphics and performance boost. Although I admit that the improved graphics and performance offered by new consoles is always nice. I currently have more than enough games to play on PS4 with even more still coming that I want, so I don’t really need a PS5 right now. I will eventually want one when it has more games that I’m interested in, but that won’t be for a while from now. And the ones that it currently has and coming soon that I’m interested in aren’t going anywhere, they’ll still be available for it and much cheaper by the time that I get it.

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

Regardless if DLC was promised or not doesn’t change the fact that it still feels a bit unfair to me that they released the main game for both PS4 and PS5, but are only going to create additional content for the PS5 version. Of course they can do that if the PS4 can’t handle what they have envisioned for it which is obviously the case, but I still feel like I’m being short changed since I have the PS4 version and don’t get to experience any of the game’s additional content because it’s exclusive to the PS5 version. I don’t expect devs to compromise their vision of a game just for it to look and run well on older gen consoles, but we’re talking about DLC here not a whole new game. I’m a gaming enthusiast as well, and I also don’t want to shackle devs. I plan on getting a PS5 eventually, so I naturally want every game from this point forward to take as full advantage of it as possible and not be compromised for older gen consoles despite currently only owning a PS4. But since HFW is also a PS4 game I expected its DLC to be available for both versions of the game as well, not just for the PS5 version. But like I’ve already stated, I’m over it at this point.

I guess I don't see why it being DLC matters or why the base game on PS4 matters. The dev want's to make something new that can only be practically done on PS5. Which means the options are:

1) Build the thing they want.

2) Build something else that compromises their vision that can be released on both PS5 and PS4.

A rule that it has to support older harder because the base game released on older hardware seems arbitrary. You're ultimately still advocating for developers to compromise on what they want to build to support older hardware.

49 minutes ago, legend said:

I guess I don't see why it being DLC matters or why the base game on PS4 matters. The dev want's to make something new that can only be practically done on PS5. Which means the options are:

1) Build the thing they want.

2) Build something else that compromises their vision that can be released on both PS5 and PS4.

A rule that it has to support older harder because the base game released on older hardware seems arbitrary. You're ultimately still advocating for developers to compromise on what they want to build to support older hardware.

I guess that I just see it as Horizon Forbidden West is both a PS4 and PS5 game, therefore additional content made for it should be made for both versions. Why create additional content for one version of the game but not the other when they’re the same game just on different consoles? Imagine if every multiplatform game did this, you don’t think that there would be gamer outrage? The only reason why there isn’t for this is because it’s a cross-gen game and not a multiplatform game. But say for example if PC versions of games got additional content while the console versions didn’t because the devs vision of what they wanted to create could only be done on PC, of course there would be gamer outrage over it. If this Burning Shores expansion was standalone instead of DLC then being PS5 only would make a little more sense to me, but being DLC is what makes it a bit confusing. However, if their vision for it can only be realized on PS5 then so be it. If I really want to play it that badly then I can wait and play it on PS5 when I eventually get one.

3 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I guess that I just see it as Horizon Forbidden West is both a PS4 and PS5 game, therefore additional content made for it should be made for both versions. Why create additional content for one version of the game but not the other when they’re the same game just on different consoles? Imagine if every multiplatform game did this, you don’t think that there would be gamer outrage? The only reason why there isn’t for this is because it’s a cross-gen game and not a multiplatform game. But say for example if PC versions of games got additional content while the console versions didn’t because the devs vision of what they wanted to create could only be done on PC, of course there would be gamer outrage over it. If this Burning Shores expansion was standalone instead of DLC then being PS5 only would make a little more sense to me, but being DLC is what makes it a bit confusing. However, if their vision for it can only be realized on PS5 then so be it. If I really want to play it that badly then I can wait and play it on PS5 when I eventually get one.

Arbitrarily limiting which audience plays your content would absolutely be annoying! But as you've agreed, this isn't an arbitrary reason, it's a technical one. I would be okay with the scenario you described of PC getting special content that pushed the boundaries! That would actually be pretty awesome! Would there be outrage? Sure! This is the internet: 90% of it is just outrage :p But I don't think there ought to be and I'd gladly welcome it.

The exception to that I'd make is if they sold the game on the promise of additional content (e.g., like a live service game) that the developer went back on later.

@Phaseknox I I finally understand your view point on this now. You make great points about the DLC not being available for PS4, too. I agree that it should have been released on PS4. Oh well, you have a good attitude and are very patient. You'll eventually experience everything the PS5 has to offer. By the time you get one you will have quite the library of titles to play. 

• Thanks 1