Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4/PS5) OT - Be Yourself, update: PS5 Gameplay Demo

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I wish 4k/60fps rather than 4k/bells and whistles (but 30fps) was the default - hopefully this is an option with every game going forward.

It really should be the standard to have a "Performance Mode" in all games going forward with minimum 60fps.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

It really should be the standard to have a "Performance Mode" in all games going forward with minimum 60fps.

Yeah, agreed 100%. I think bare minimum should definitely be 4K/60fps. If not 4K, at least 60fps.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, agreed 100%. I think bare minimum should definitely be 4K/60fps. If not 4K, at least 60fps.

Looking at what's happening now, I kind of doubt that's will be where we'll be at.

We don't know how far Spiderman MM is pushing visuals, world structure, CPU tasks, etc, beyond the current generation.  It's presumed to be grafted onto the last game to some degree.  That could have made a 4K 60fps performance mode more tenable.  With Horizon 2 or a hypothetical like Red Dead Redemption 3, I wouldn't be holding my breath.  

AC Vahalla is another example.  It's clearly a current-get plus sort of game.  But Ubisoft is tempering expectations, making no promise they'll be able to get it to 60fps.  That should be a bit concerning.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Looking at what's happening now, I kind of doubt that's will be where we'll be at.

We don't know how far Spiderman MM is pushing visuals, world structure, CPU tasks, etc, beyond the current generation.  It's presumed to be grafted onto the last game to some degree.  That could have made a 4K 60fps performance mode more tenable.  With Horizon 2 or a hypothetical like Red Dead Redemption 3, I wouldn't be holding my breath.  

AC Vahalla is another example.  It's clearly a current-get plus sort of game.  But Ubisoft is tempering expectations, making no promise they'll be able to get it to 60fps.  That should be a bit concerning.

I mean, I agree completely, but a man can hope. :p I'll be primarily gaming on PC anyway, so it's a moot point for me, except where exclusives that never come to PC from PS5 are concerned. In those rare instances, I'll have to suffer accordingly, but I hope 60fps locked becomes an option at least some of the time. Death Stranding being such a good PC port for the most part (except with Kojima's artistic restrictions, not technical ones) is a good sign for the Decima Engine at least.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

So would 1080p be 60fps, bells and whistles?

Totally depends on the game.  Next-gen AAA with (semi-) heavy raytracing effects could be limited to native 1080p @ 30fps on consoles. 1440p perhaps if they're lucky.  We'll be seeing some upscaling from those resolutions regardless.

It makes performance modes a foregone conclusion in the next console cycle.  Though I anticipate some developers will break out of the mold with optomizations.

51 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

As a lazy gamer, who fucking cares. Just make a fun game 

Ignorance can be bliss. If you can’t be bothered to decide between performance and quality mode, don’t enter the settings menu?

Those who care about the difference between 1080p and 4K, 30fps and 60fps, RT on/off, etc can do their thing.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude cable networks still broadcast 720p.

Yeah but so much else is available in 4K, and it's only going to grow as the years go on, so these consoles should be future proofing themselves a little. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

4K should be standard going into this gen. 4K is finally at a high enough availability. Do they even make 1080p TVs still? 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-40-1080p-hdtv-led/6398122.p?skuId=6398122&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=850&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-7vnond6gIVCx-tBh29YwpWEAQYASABEgLj4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

8 hours ago, Brick said:

4K should be standard going into this gen. 4K is finally at a high enough availability. Do they even make 1080p TVs still? 

I mean, as prevalent as 4K has now become, 1080p is still the norm for most average gamers on what they game on. But the only way to forge new standards is to foist them on people, so I'm all for 4K/60fps.

12 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I wish 4k/60fps rather than 4k/bells and whistles (but 30fps) was the default - hopefully this is an option with every game going forward.

It's the PS5 it should be 4k 60 all the time.

8 hours ago, Brick said:

Not TVs but a lot of 144htz monitors are 1080p

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, as prevalent as 4K has now become, 1080p is still the norm for most average gamers on what they game on. But the only way to forge new standards is to foist them on people, so I'm all for 4K/60fps.

Well yeah because most of them don't own a PS4 Pro or One X, they just have the base models probably, so with the new consoles supporting 4K right out of the gate, I'm sure a lot of people are going to eventually upgrade their TVs. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree but gamers care about bells and whistles more than 4K/60fps. 

[Console] gamers don't know what bells and whistles they are getting and don't notice most of the time.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

[Console] gamers don't know what bells and whistles they are getting and don't notice most of the time.

I agree, I think it's more in terms of presentation - to outdo the competition, which entices gamers and they want games pushing things to the max. They arguably don't notice frame rates that much either.

I think it's pretty demonstrably true that most gamers tend to prefer better visuals over a higher frame rate.

Still, as we see more and more games go cross platform, cross gen, in addition to having different consoles within a generation, I think it's reasonable to expect that "performance" and "quality" modes will be available on more and more games.

I'd love to see updated stats on which mode most people use.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Emperor Diocletian II changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4/PS5) OT - Be Yourself, update: PS5 Gameplay Demo