DEATHLOOP - Information Thread, update: Xbox Series/Game Pass/PS+ Extra release on September 20, new update includes extended ending/new enemies/new weapons (all platforms)

SaysWho?

Played through a tiny bit this morning. It's very charming, seems very polished, the guns feel great. It is trying really hard not to be frustrating, at least at the beginning. It gives you clear objectives and waypoints, and it keeps track of everything for you very well. They may have used a structure similar to Outer Wilds, but Deathloop begins by pointing you in a direction and consistently re-enforcing what you're trying to do and where you're doing it. By giving you checkpoints where it even saves inventory items, it's trying very hard to make sure you don't run into the common pain points associated with rougelikes or other looped games.

The one thing not immediately clear to me is what the effect of "moving time forward" is. When you complete your primary objective in an area, you can move on. This resets you to full health and ammo, you keep everything you've found, and the story moves on. The game is very reassuring in that you'll have the opportunity to come back and explore and doubtless find many secrets, but I'm not sure if moving forward in time will mean that when I come back the area might be more or less guarded, or any different at all (other than presumably a different objective). I'm not very worried about it, as I'm pretty confident the game won't let me miss anything too dramatic, and right now I feel rather under-powered to clear out too much.

Just now, TwinIon said:

as I'm pretty confident the game won't let me miss anything too dramatic, and right now I feel rather under-powered to clear out too much.

Really? I've been going hog-wild and clearing out entire camps of people. The gunplay is fun as hell and the movement feels great. It's one of those games where the stealth is satisfying, but when you finally screw up and kick one too many guys over the railing and get caught, you don't say "Shit!" you say "Here we fuckin' go boys!"

Got my first legendary weapon last night after spending quite a while solving a fairly long puzzle. If I was better at mapping places in my head it probably would've taken half the time, but I was very happy that I got such a cool reward for my efforts. I won't spoil the weapon (dunno if it's set in place) but despite not being my favorite type of weapon, it's really satisfying to use and has a unique look and feature that beats the shit out of the random awful guns in Borderlands, for example.c

Well, pretty much all my questions were answered after another 20min or so of playtime. Your first full loop or two the game is deciding where you go, but pretty quickly you get to the primary loop of the game and you're deciding where to go when. I also pretty quickly felt powerful enough to fight off waves of enemies or more capably sneak through them once I found a silent weapon.

My biggest problem with the game so far is the multiple crashes I've experienced (on the PC). Game seems to be running well enough, but complete crashes are a bummer.

I'm also not really sold on the multiplayer aspect. As someone that is pretty poor at competitive multiplayer, it doesn't really appeal to me. I've been invaded by a couple actual players, and they've both had much better powers and guns than I do at my early stage. I'm not sure what the benefit is other than hoping they bring those things to me, or the challenge of real players. Thankfully, it's optional, so I've just turned it off for now.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: Arkane/Bethesda investigating PC stuttering issues
7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Read the first post in this thread.

I don't read the fire page on a thread when there are multiple pages. Thanks for answering my question.

I'm happy I get to play this new gen on last gen hardware. I won't have to buy a new one for another 2 years at least. :clap: