DEATHLOOP - Information Thread, update: Xbox Series/Game Pass/PS+ Extra release on September 20, new update includes extended ending/new enemies/new weapons (all platforms)

SaysWho?

Two extremely minor things:

-I wish you could autofill any code or password you know. It's kind odd that the functionality exists, but I have to refer back to my discoveries for a code that only has one solution.

-It should be illegal for a game to ask "Are you sure you want to quit? Quitting now will lose any unsaved progress" when there is no unsaved progress. Deathloop is far from unique in this regard, but I hate it every time I see it. Especially in a game that doesn't really have a save system.

Great game though. Even as someone who regularly plays games on Easy, this could use a bit more difficulty that isn't from other players invading. I suppose that might make the exploration more challenging, so it's a fine line for sure, but it's pretty easy to clear out basically every enemy in an area if things go sideways.

I kind of wish there was a bit more Outer Wilds / Witness level of discovery. There's a lot of "discover thing, go to different area at different time, find code / power door / whatever, go through door in different area at different time with new code", but there's a very prescribed way to do all of it. I don't know if it's mild length padding, or a technical issue, or they just want to make sure they tell all the story, but there's very little that you can find out of order. Maybe it would make things too messy in this otherwise very neat package, but it does take away from some of the genuine discovery other games might give you. There hasn't been any time where I've felt like I figured something out early or without some direction.

Early in the game I spent quite a while in one area, trying to find everything I could, given that I'd gotten into a firefight and had to kill everyone. After making more than a few loops around the entire zone, I determined there wasn't much else I could do at this stage. It turns out that there was plenty more to find, but I wouldn't have access until I'd completed a few other things. That kind of dissuaded me from veering too far off course in the future. It was much more efficient to simply follow the objectives rather than wasting time trying to get somewhere locked before my time.

The flip side of that is the game does allow for a huge variety in how you approach situations. Yeah, in a few scenarios you're not supposed to get caught before getting to an objective, but most of the time there are multiple ways to get anywhere, and any number of combat scenarios that can play out. The powers are varied, the maps are open, the guns feel good but none are overpowered to the point where I'm invincible. There's one location (the party) that I've toyed with a few times to find the best route and that's been a satisfying experience.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Sony released one of its biggest exclusives on Xbox in the spring 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sony has previously released cross-console software (DC:Universe Online comes to mind) -- Microsoft has too (Minecraft comes to mind).

I was more thinking about the pissing contests that these two have had over the years about the number of "console exclusives".  I think its ironic that one is releasing a console exclusive to the others platform.  [Particularly given the online hate over Starfield.]

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Two extremely minor things:

-I wish you could autofill any code or password you know. It's kind odd that the functionality exists, but I have to refer back to my discoveries for a code that only has one solution.

-It should be illegal for a game to ask "Are you sure you want to quit? Quitting now will lose any unsaved progress" when there is no unsaved progress. Deathloop is far from unique in this regard, but I hate it every time I see it. Especially in a game that doesn't really have a save system.

Great game though. Even as someone who regularly plays games on Easy, this could use a bit more difficulty that isn't from other players invading. I suppose that might make the exploration more challenging, so it's a fine line for sure, but it's pretty easy to clear out basically every enemy in an area if things go sideways.

I kind of wish there was a bit more Outer Wilds / Witness level of discovery. There's a lot of "discover thing, go to different area at different time, find code / power door / whatever, go through door in different area at different time with new code", but there's a very prescribed way to do all of it. I don't know if it's mild length padding, or a technical issue, or they just want to make sure they tell all the story, but there's very little that you can find out of order. Maybe it would make things too messy in this otherwise very neat package, but it does take away from some of the genuine discovery other games might give you. There hasn't been any time where I've felt like I figured something out early or without some direction.

Early in the game I spent quite a while in one area, trying to find everything I could, given that I'd gotten into a firefight and had to kill everyone. After making more than a few loops around the entire zone, I determined there wasn't much else I could do at this stage. It turns out that there was plenty more to find, but I wouldn't have access until I'd completed a few other things. That kind of dissuaded me from veering too far off course in the future. It was much more efficient to simply follow the objectives rather than wasting time trying to get somewhere locked before my time.

The flip side of that is the game does allow for a huge variety in how you approach situations. Yeah, in a few scenarios you're not supposed to get caught before getting to an objective, but most of the time there are multiple ways to get anywhere, and any number of combat scenarios that can play out. The powers are varied, the maps are open, the guns feel good but none are overpowered to the point where I'm invincible. There's one location (the party) that I've toyed with a few times to find the best route and that's been a satisfying experience.

On the flipside, I did a puzzle extremely early on that unlocked a set of legendary pistols while still in what was technically the tutorial. 

I think that should be mentioned: the game tells you when you're completely set free, so lots of stuff that would normally be open is closed off for the tutorial, even though it kind of stops feeling like a tutorial fairly quickly. 

After that it really seems less about "objectives" since they become much broader in scope, and more about unraveling how the world works. In that way it's a lot like Majora's Mask: information is your greatest tool. Seeing what happens at each step of each area reveals so many things you can do, including tons of secrets and side quests, like the Wake Up Game, for example. 

You might do something in one loop, then learn of a way you could alert where someone ends up a later time, so in your next loop instead of killing them you alter the world/solve a puzzle to force them to be in a different area later on during the same loop. 

On 9/16/2021 at 12:23 PM, TwinIon said:

Yea this kinda of a sore spot for me right now. There seems to be a multitude of ways to get the to objective but only one path to complete it.

After ~15 hours I've finished the game and most of what I said in my last post holds as my final impressions. I wish there was more out of order discovery, finding a puzzle piece before understanding where it fits or solving a puzzle before I'd been asked to. It really would have encouraged and rewarded a more natural sense of discovery. That said, there is still a lot to discover, and even if you're being pointed in the right direction, it's still fun to explore. While you're not rewarded with early solutions or answers, what you are rewarded with is the knowledge of alternative routes or different ways to accomplish an objective.

What the game lacks in freestyle discovery, it makes up for in freestyle game play. I changed my play style a few times in Deathloop, and each way I approached things was both fun and viable. I went in like a telekinetic tank, bursting in guns blazing and tossing henchmen around like rag dolls. I went in silently, getting in and out without anyone noticing. I'd sometimes do both, sneaking to an objective and fighting my way out when things went south. After finishing the game I looked up some videos of how people approached the final day, and while the order of events is the same, the routes, loadouts, powers, and where and when each video and myself used were all different. It was fun to watch a video of a level that I must have replayed 20 times (many of those because the game crashed..) and see routes I never found, and different assassination options I didn't know existed.

Two of my pet peeves in games are when the game doesn't respect the players' time and when a game preaches options but forces you through a narrow gameplay funnel. Deathloop excels in both these areas, especially the second. The gameplay options are really robust, and have me thinking about going through the whole thing again just to do it a different way. It's also really good about not wasting your time when you don't want to. It's always giving you objectives such that it's almost impossible to get really stuck or lost.

The only time the game really feels like it's not respecting my time is when I was invaded while in the middle of sneaking through a level, and even that wasn't a big deal most of the time. The difference between a human invader and the AI is pretty incredible though. The game is very easy, especially giving multiple revives available to you each time you start a segment. Killing AI invaders is not typically difficult, though sometimes they'd run and hide and it wouldn't be worthwhile to seek them out. With human invaders, it can be a real challenge. I haven't really spent any time invading myself, and I'm not sure if I'll bother.

I can't help but wish the game was a bit longer or maybe a bit harder, but thats mostly because I want more reasons to keep playing. I did get crashes throughout my time with the game, maybe a total of 10 or so. In one particular instance I found a way to crash the game on demand, which was fun. Overall a great game I was happy to spend time with.

How the hell are you done with the game after 15 hours? I've got damn near 30 and I feel like I'm not even close. I do spend a ton of time just exploring the stages, doing the puzzles, hunting down arsenal leads, etc, but I feel like I'd have had to have really rushed to beat it in 15.

colt-and-juliana-deathloop-jpg.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Don't be afraid of leaving Deathloop in Online Mode, single player fans. Embrace the pain, and receive with warmth that sudden mortal stab in the back.

You're hesitant. I understand. Being invaded as a relaxed enjoyer of single player games is like receiving a hefty dose of horse stimulant in the middle of a silent art gallery. But that sudden spike of adrenaline can spark a sense of focus and grit. You're forced to play slightly differently. As soon as I hear Julianna's taunts on the intercom, I stop whatever I'm doing to go sort out the antenna.

deathloop-invasions-julianna.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We're obsessed with Deathloop's invasion mode and at this point, we expect to spend more hours protecting the loop than we ever did breaking it.

As I pass the eroding façade of a fisherman’s hut, a beret-topped goon strides by in the opposite direction, casually swinging a machete. They’d be conspicuous were it not for the fact that there are no fishermen in this village anymore. If anyone were to bother putting up a welcome sign, it’d read ‘Population: Goons’. They like me, though. This thug’s two-tone mask might be impassive, but the voice beneath it betrays starstruck awe. “Julianna,” they say. “It’s an honour, really.”

“Shut the fuck up,” I hiss under my breath. “I’m in disguise. If the player hears you, we’re both mince. And thanks.”

I adore the invasions. They're my favorite part. Especially since the AI can be really braindead at times. In fact, I wish I could enable some sort of hard mode to where I could be continually invaded instead of only when a Visionary is present and a couple times per loop or whatever the limit is.

Follow Lead

Get McGuffin from Map A at X time

Go to spot on Map A at X time, doors locked get code from Rando on Map B at Z time

Go to spot on Map B at Z time, get code  return to Map A at X time

Go to spot Map A at X time, sorry cant get in till Y time

I wouldnt have an issue completing some of these quests except the AI is god awful and you become such a juggernaut that you can steamroll through them and its starting be a bore. I dont feel rewarded for being a smarter player , its really the opposite in fact. 

• 3 weeks later...
DEATHLOOP_LargeCard_Soundtrack.png?fm=jp
BETHESDA.NET

DEATHLOOP’s first major game update is now available on PlayStation 5 and PC. Game Update 1 improves several aspects of the gameplay experience, camera smoothness and NPC behaviors. It also resolves several issues that could cause the game to crash.

PLAYSTATION 5

• Added HDR calibration screen to UI options
  • Improved performance and stability when ray tracing is turned on
  • Improved NPC pathing and reactions to the player
  • Added an indicator of poor connection quality in the upper right of the screen (resembles a speedometer with an exclamation point)
  • Improved the content of PS5 Activities & Game Help systems
  • Improved vibrations on DualSense controller
  • Improved audio mix quality
  • Fixed laser mines, turrets and fireworks behavior for both Colt and Julianna players
  • Fixed unlock issue with “Oops” and “Deathday Suit” trophies
  • Fixed issue that could cause Colt’s progression to be reset even if player chose ‘no’ on confirmation
  • Fixed crash issue when a player unlocks a feat using Havoc while playing as Julianna
  • Fixed Aleksis Dorsey reactions, making him easier to identify among his party guests
  • Fixed issue that was causing assassinations to glitch sometimes while playing as Julianna
  • Julianna’s actions no longer directly unlock trophies for Colt
  • Julianna players will no longer hear radio conversations meant for only Colt
  • Fixed issue with leaning inconsistency (inputs will no longer be ignored sporadically)

PC

• Fixed issues that were causing dropped frames and hitches in camera movement
  • Added support for Nvidia DLSS
  • Added support for Sony DualSense controller audio
  • Added an indicator of poor connection quality in the upper right of the screen (resembles a speedometer with an exclamation point)
  • Improved performance and stability, especially with ray tracing
  • Improved NPC pathing and reactions to the player
  • Improved audio mix quality
  • Fixed laser mines, turrets and fireworks for both Colt and Julianna players
  • Fixed issue with mouse wheel. Using the mouse wheel to switch between weapons will now work properly and will not cause weapons to be dropped.
  • Fixed unlock issue with “Oops” and “Deathday Suit” achievements
  • Fixed issue that could cause Colt’s progression to be reset even if player chose ‘no’ on confirmation
  • Fixed crash issue when a player unlocks a feat using Havoc while playing as Julianna
  • Fixed Aleksis Dorsey reactions, making him easier to identify among his party guests
  • Fixed issue that was causing assassinations to glitch sometimes while playing as Julianna
  • Julianna’s actions will no longer directly unlock achievements for Colt
  • Julianna players will no longer hear radio conversations meant for only Colt
  • Fixed issue with leaning inconsistency (inputs will no longer be ignored sporadically)

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: Game Update 1 released

Definitely glad I waited to really play this one. DLSS quality looks better and gives me like 15 extra fps than quality amd upscale. But performance looks probably about the same as amd upscale except it lets me play it at mostly 120fps. DLSS rules.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Good freaking game. Love how much you learn, and how much you might experiment with something and find out you actually can play a certain way. I'm... I dunno how far into the game? Probably 75%ish, I think, and I noticed with Charlie's role playing game area that 

Spoiler

there was a classpass door. And suddenly today I had an idea about that. The idea was 

Spoiler

to get the pass from Fristad Rock and see if I can keep it on me to Updaam. Yup, that's possible. And so I found the code to disable the ClassPass. Good shit.

• 2 weeks later...

So getting through this years games I’m starting to play this one for reals along with Psyconauts 2, still seem to have an issue where the frame rate tanks after a bit? 

Anyone know what is or how to get around it beyond quitting and restarting the game? It’s like once an hour or two, it wouldn’t be so bad but it’s annoying if it happens mid mission and you have to deal with it until end of level.

I’m trying on the latest update from a couple days ago that does seem to have fixed stutters and issues with vrr but not this what I assume is a memory leak or smtn.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 5:26 PM, stepee said:

So getting through this years games I’m starting to play this one for reals along with Psyconauts 2, still seem to have an issue where the frame rate tanks after a bit? 

Anyone know what is or how to get around it beyond quitting and restarting the game? It’s like once an hour or two, it wouldn’t be so bad but it’s annoying if it happens mid mission and you have to deal with it until end of level.

I’m trying on the latest update from a couple days ago that does seem to have fixed stutters and issues with vrr but not this what I assume is a memory leak or smtn.

Whatever that issue was it only happened after a reload sometimes so if I saw it then I’d just reload the game and pushed on that way rather than be arsed to figure it out.

Beat the game today, does this count as a rogue lite even though it doesn’t waste too much of your time? Because if so it’s my first one beaten and definitely my favorite! I don’t think I really want a whole bunch more games this style, but if they have to be rogue lite or whatever then I definitely want them pretty much exactly like this. I’m not sure if that translates as good or bad if you normally like the genre!

But the game itself was worthy of the praise and GOTY nods it got. But really just for being a very very good immersive sim shooter in a year without an obvious stand out, not that anything it does is particularly ground breaking I wouldn’t say.

GORGEOUS game on pc, I’m surprised I don’t hear more about how good this game looks maxed out with ray traced gi and all, especially since they gracefully added dlss. It’s definitely in the top of early current gen games.

• Shocked 1