DEATHLOOP - Information Thread, update: Xbox Series/Game Pass/PS+ Extra release on September 20, new update includes extended ending/new enemies/new weapons (all platforms)

SaysWho?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: release delayed to 14 September 2021
  • 1 month later...

Many new "hands-off" previews released today:

Deathloop looks like more than Dishonored with guns - it's Arkane does Hitman (Eurogamer)

It's an intriguing place to see Deathloop up close for the first time, the verticality and claustrophobia of its streets and the seemingly endless warrens connecting them bringing Dishonored's Dunwall to mind - only this time out the action's got plenty more bark, and another influence springs up in the form of IO's superlative Hitman reboot, the clockwork mechanisms of guard patrols and behaviours of your mark there to be tinkered with at your own masochistic pleasure. If it all comes together, there's a wind-up murder playpen that could be every bit as devious as Agent 47's antics - and every bit as intricate in its design as Dishonored 2's famed clockwork mansion, only played out across an entire game.

3yNAbhgCB9niYWNtc5giFT-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A fresh look at Arkane's next project.

deathloop-julianna.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

There's plenty of Arkane lineage here, but Deathloop is packed with new ideas

Deathloop_Dual_Spikers_8637260997138ea18
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Arkane Studios’ time-looping shooter looks fantastic

deathloop-preview-1621413528918.jpg?widt
WWW.IGN.COM

Arkane's next game is a time-looping FPS, but Deathloop is more like a supernatural take on Hitman than a roguelike.

3832509-deathlooppromo.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

The Dishonored and Prey dev is building something new on the foundations of its most acclaimed games.

colt_action_scene-8637260941f707737a4.06
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We got another look at Colt's timeloop adventure and a better understanding of how he'll retain weapons from one loop to the next.

156872-homepage-news-feature-deathloop-p
WWW.POCKET-LINT.COM

We got a behind-the-scenes look at Arkane's upcoming shooter, and it's looking like intricate good fun.

Deathloop-Preview-Main-Logo.jpg
SCREENRANT.COM

The up-to-the-minute scoop on Deathloop.

fXRYLGQvQxR5pARhmPYq4-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TOMSGUIDE.COM

Deathloop challenges you to defeat eight assassins in a temporally unstable shooter

deathloop-hands-off-preview-dual-wieldin
WWW.SHACKNEWS.COM

A recent new look at Deathloop with the devs showed us how time works in the game, as well as the tools and powers we'll be using to 'break this f***ing loop.'

Deathloop-6.jpg?fit=850%2C478&ssl=1&w=64
WWW.CRITICALHIT.NET

It’s still going to be a torturous couple of months before Deathloop releases on PS5 and PC on 14 September. Arkane’s latest title looks like a perfect blend of style and substance, one…

deathloop_may_01-8637260941513cc78b5.142
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Arkane Studios have shown us all the weird and wonderful supernatural abilities in Deathloop, as well as a mission on the game's 60s-themed party island.

deathloop_3467083b.png
WWW.GAMEREACTOR.EU

We got another look at the anticipated upcoming single-player title from Arkane Lyon.

3a228f66-dafc-4b87-bbb3-e0ea6add35a5-tkn
WWW.INVERSE.COM

Deathloop looks like a genuine game of the year contender, which is frustrating news for Xbox fans.

deathloop_eternalists-attack-86372609d0f
WWW.DIGITALTRENDS.COM

We saw an extensive gameplay demo of Deathloop and it looks like a sci-fi spin on Hitman.

deathloop_pop_pow.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

With a little bit of FromSoftware for good measure.

Deathloop_Arcade-Machines-86372609971376
WCCFTECH.COM

Arkane's Game Director Dinga Bakaba explains how time passes in Deathloop, whether he believes it's a roguelike or not, and much more.

863725ee2a3ad463c93.29344155-DEATHLOOP_R
POWERUP-GAMING.COM

Deathloop is a game that could have only come from Arkane. "An inverted murder puzzle," according to Game Director Dinga Bakaba, Deathloop is the culmination of a 20-year journey for the studio. Bakaba also...

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: many new "hands-off" previews posted

I wonder how much sales will be affected by the fact everyone knows next year, it'll be on Game Pass on PC and Xbox.

Also the fact I'm sure some Sony fans maybe a bit salty about the Bethesda deal and may not want to support it either.  Wonder if Sony had the option to back out of the deal, and if they would have given some of the circumstances.

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I wonder how much sales will be affected by the fact everyone knows next year, it'll be on Game Pass on PC and Xbox.

Also the fact I'm sure some Sony fans maybe a bit salty about the Bethesda deal and may not want to support it either.  Wonder if Sony had the option to back out of the deal, and if they would have given some of the circumstances.

I think it will sell like hotcakes on the PS5 and then when it comes to Game Pass all the Xbots will say, "Thanks for the money ponies!"

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: "Official Gameplay Walkthrough" trailer (9 minutes)
  • 4 weeks later...

Death-Loop-PS5.jpg
MP1ST.COM

Deathloop developers Arkane Studios comments on their development working with the PS5, citing that the console is a "fresh of breath air".

I don’t think that we would have been able to preserve the level of ambition of this game were it not for the move to next-gen.” Said Game director Dinga Bakaba.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: "Gold Status" announced, dev says level of ambition "not possible" if not for next-gen

I don't really know what to think of this game at this point but seeing how close it is, that it's PS5 and Arkane, I'll probably pick it up anyway. Usually if I see stuff like "BLAM! POP POW!" on a gun in a game, I close the tab immediately but Arkane's games tend to be so damn good, I'll get over the edge. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: "Deep Dive into Deathloop with Arkane Lyon"

Final pre-release previews:

MFZYTAkrennoM9TTYQJxg9-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

This scratches the itch that Dishonored couldn't quite reach.

Seeing just how far I could push a single loop without dying and losing all my equipment was thrilling. When I finally did get around to taking on my target, Harriet Moore, it wasn't some gigantic victory and that was OK. I'd have to do it all over again tomorrow, but with just a little more knowledge and gadgetry. And I was excited to go back and do it all over, while continuing to slowly fold in other Visionaries and mysteries.

I never thought I'd see the day where I'd be shown the ways and wonders of the immersive sim, but goddammit Arkane has done it. I'm already itching to dive back into Blackreef and go through deja vu just one more time.

deathloop-1.jpg
WWW.VG247.COM

Has Arkane Studios done it again? Find out how Deathloop plays in our hands-on preview!

One question I’ve seen a lot is: “what kind of game is Deathloop,” and that’s a tough one too.

Obviously you can go down the straight genre definitions and call it an immersive sim. But I feel like that undersells its emphasis on a smart and unravelling narrative, and lends itself to leaning on buzzwords and phrases like: “you can approach things however you want to!”

In a lot of games, that choice boils down to: “do you want to walk through the front door, or the one air vent we’ve decided you can go through as well.” However, it feels like

Deathloop not only encourages you to go your own way, but actually gives you the tools and space to do so.

Deathloop_LaunchScreenshots_3840x2160_01
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Being trapped in a time loop can be freeing

I’ve only had a couple days with the game — call it five or so hours. What I’ve played has been a delight. It’s playful and absurd while maintaining that Arkane style of game that I find immensely satisfying. The mix and balance of straightforward shooting and physics-bending superpowers, along with being free to switch between stealth and head-on combat, means

I never have to be perfect, just adaptable. And since I’m in a time loop, I’m even more free to play around.

Besides, if I screw up, I can just try again tomorrow.

CloseCombat-863726126220185938508347026.
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

If at first you don't succeed, Blam! Blam! again

It helps that it’s one of the most stylish games I’ve ever played, too. Arkane Lyon has gone from Dishonored 2’s Clockwork Mansion to A Clockwork Orange - or Une Orange Mécanique, as the French would call it. It’s grindhouse gun funk, as if someone took Stanley Kubrick and dragged him through Quentin Tarantino’s filmography - all primary colours and defined lines, all gas masks and bowler hats. Even though you’re in control of the camera, every view feels framed, like there’s an unseen director forcing you to line up the perfect composition. The hyper-real environments contrasted against stylised characters and pop art decor makes you want to explore every single inch of the world, even when you’re being hunted. Hell, I’ve blammed every poor sonofabitch on a level just to be free to walk around and take it all in.

Deathloop_LaunchScreenshots_3840x2160_01
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

It launches in September.

So far the only major issue I’ve faced has to do with how Deathloop handles saves. Colt uses a series of tunnels to get from location to location, and these serve as a kind of safe house where you can check over your gear, plot your next move, and save the game. Once you leave the tunnels, you’ll go to a new district and time will move forward. But out in the world, you can’t save at all, which can be frustrating when you’re following leads that are complex with lots of moving parts that can take a while to finish. It’s especially frustrating given that Deathloop is launching on the PS5, which doesn’t have a quick resume feature. I’ve mostly been putting my console in rest mode mid-mission and crossing my fingers that it doesn’t decide to turn itself off (which has happened in the past). It’s an annoying design decision in a game that otherwise feels very thoughtful, and it’s reminiscent of the controversy around another big PS5 game, the sci-fi shooter Returnal.

From what I’ve played so far, Deathloop is a bit like if Dishonored was set on the island from Lost. That’s not something I ever thought I wanted, but I can’t wait to keep playing, even if it means risking losing a few loops.

334herolarge.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

After five or so hours with Deathloop's opening, we're interested in learning more about this weird world.

After five or so hours with Deathloop, its combination of solid characters, interesting story threads, and overall solid take on the immersive sim genre has me immensely interested in playing more. The one-day time limit and the crux of learning how to kill eight different targets within that timeframe – an intricate ordeal, to say the least – creates a satisfying puzzle. We'll see whether or not that will all pay off in the end. But Deathloop starts strong and has me fascinated to play, experiment, and see more of its weird world.

mTTnQUqk2CKjdY9Lat75iL-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

I have no idea what's going on, but I do know that I'm having a great time

With that in mind, Deathloop began to transform into something else entirely. I started combing over areas meticulously and it felt like I couldn't go more than a few minutes without discovering some new piece to the puzzle. I was stumbling onto hidden passageways and walkways that could lead me past groups of enemies and automated defenses, into the path of Visionaries at different points in their routines, and across areas that were too deadly to access in the present but could be in the future should the correct conditions be met. 

I found an underground hideaway with a complicated manual lock affixed to a thick slab of concrete that requires a three-letter, six-number combination to open. I spent an hour looking for it before giving up. I'm pretty sure I stumbled across Deathloop's version of the Dishonored 2 Jindosh Lock, which requires a multitude of multiple-choice trivia questions be answered before it will give up an unknown prize – an impossible ask that pushed me to keep a pen and paper by my side, just in case I should stumble across a solution while out in the world. Oh, and then there's the cycle of suicide that… you know what, no, I don't want to say anything else. The mysteries of Deathloop deserve to be discovered.

Maps, as you’d expect from an Arkane game, are designed with player freedom in mind. Almost every destination has more than one way in and out, often with paths going above and/or below the building. Go figure, then that my careful plan to quietly sneak up behind Harriet, assassinate her, and take her Nexus Slab went to hell when I was almost there on the first try, and then on my second chance I accidentally stirred up the entire hornet’s nest of bad guy underlings (while they were busy lowering one of their own into a vat of acid, Joker-style) and I ended up blasting every last one of them, including Harriet, with my mini-gun. That’ll work too, and that’s the point in an Arkane game. Anything goes.

3871928-3871904-deathloop_thumb_2.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Tam and Lucy got their hands on Deathloop just ahead of its release on September 14. Hear what they thought about how it plays.

This was an extended, five-hour preview of the action game from Arkane, so the two have plenty of thoughts on the types of powers they dabbled with, how it feels to actually traverse the mysterious island, and more

I didn't achieve much in my five hours with the game. I stumbled about and made (mostly) the same mistakes over and over. I discovered some juicy secrets that just led to more questions. I got almost too much joy out of hacking into turrets and watching my enemies fall victim to their own creation.

Did I do what I set out to do? Absolutely not. Did I have a good time? Yes, yes I did. 

Zb4oTHH6UdDd4tMEhe5acE-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TECHRADAR.COM

Hands-on with Arkane's timed PS5 exclusive

Our guess is that the developers don't want you to play Deathloop in a binary stealth or action kind of way. They want you to slowly build up a mountain of stuff – weapons, powers and information – then refine as you go, gradually figuring out what your optimal Colt is. Things are going to get messy: you'll slaughter tons of people for one totally inefficient assassination, or die for a really silly reason and have to start the loop again. 

But you'll absolutely have fun figuring out your ideal approach to this cycle of death. If Deathloop has anything in common with Dishonored, it's that it proudly feels like it won't be for everyone – it's for patient players who absolutely do not want a game that will play itself for them. That clear invitation to figure out your way to play is why it has the potential to be the best game of the year. 

Crucially, if you really, really hated the way you botched your approach to assassinating one particular Visionary, it doesn't matter – you'll do it all again tomorrow anyway.

JDUOSWZUMVHB7AC3QKKNQS7KZ4.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

If you want to get the most out of "Deathloop," you should go in knowing nothing — like the game's amnesiac protagonist.

Mechanically, though, the game played a little stiff at times. The gun play is more “Fallout” than “Call of Duty,” which is fine in AI gunfights but might yield some frustration for first-person shooter fans going head-to-head against a human-controlled Julianna. There were also a few glitches in the early hours. More than once, the game lagged for a few seconds — an unusual feeling on the PS5. There was also a strange tendency for my character to drift to the right while standing still when I wasn’t touching the controller, which didn’t appear to be related to controller drift on my end.

“Deathloop" isn’t the easiest game to grasp due to its originality, and its early hours are certainly a learning process. But so far, it’s been an enjoyable series of lessons, well integrated with how the protagonist acts and feels, bringing the player right into the story. It will be nice, after the game releases Sept. 14, to see how that story ends.

Deathloop-image-three.jpg
WWW.NME.COM

An intricate offering from Arkane Studios, 'Deathloop' teaches you to roll with the punches and hold on to what you've learned.

A core part of the experience is just learning to roll with the punches. An early pick-up lets you die twice before a final third death resets the loop for you, and while I never hit that third death, knowing I had a little room to manoeuvre encouraged me to try silly things like jimmy open a window to a place filled with enemies and duck in to have a poke around. Two minutes later, I found myself trapped into a room with enemies on all sides, had to hack a nearby window to escape, and hurl myself through a third floor window onto the waiting cobbles and hope to survive.

This is when the game really opened up to me. While at first you don’t have the ability to retain anything through the time loop process, you do remember what you’ve learnt. For example: in your first loop you learn about a safe code and go back the next morning to clear it out before Julianna can crack the safe, but later on you’ll learn the location of weapons caches, the routines of guards and the way to access just about any opening. Add to this the knowledge that you retain as a player: the fastest routes through the game’s four areas, the weaponry you’re best with, exactly how far someone has to be from the edge before you can kick them in the arse and send them tumbling to their death.

Deathloop is not at all what I expected (Eurogamer)

It's helped along by the fact that, in those first few hours at least, Deathloop is not a punishing game. Far from it, in fact - maps are wide open and dense, making sidestepping a mob a doddle (with lavish architecture and craggy rockfaces that you know will launch a thousand thinkpieces) while the AI seems suitably blunted by the fact that most of the NPCs in Deathloop are perpetually drunk, seemingly distracted by their own inebriation or strumming idly on guitars. It places the power firmly in your hands, perhaps re-emphasising the fact that the world in Deathloop is presented for you to toy with rather than be intimidated by.

The real challenge, it would seem, is how you go about placing those pieces together, and how you align this dense little Rubiks Cube of a world until all the tiles - and all eight of those visionaries - click right where you want them. After those first few hours I'm at the point where the world has opened right up, where each four of those districts are available in each of their different times of day and where the possibilities and permutations are threatening to become something of a headache.

Up to this point, though, Deathloop's made sense of its dazzling array of components, and held them together with an impeccable sense of style. There's a danger it might end up tying itself in knots, though at present it seems composed enough to help guide its players through the tangle. After those first few hours, as well, I can see why Arkane politely asked to look past the obvious comparisons, because while Deathloop might be built from familiar parts, it's quite unlike anything I've ever played.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: final hands-on press previews

Ok after finally watching some actual gameplay I've become more interested but not sure how much I'll like having a time limit to "complete" the game.  I feel like I'd get frustrated easily if I wanted to explore and run out of time and start over again unless I'm misunderstanding how it works.

Also I'm not sure how the antagonistic character works exactly.  Are the loop inhabitants also hostile towards her or can she freely roam looking for the other player?

15 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

Ok after finally watching some actual gameplay I've become more interested but not sure how much I'll like having a time limit to "complete" the game.  I feel like I'd get frustrated easily if I wanted to explore and run out of time and start over again unless I'm misunderstanding how it works.

Also I'm not sure how the antagonistic character works exactly.  Are the loop inhabitants also hostile towards her or can she freely roam looking for the other player?

From what I gather, the antagonistic character can freely hunt you with no hostility from other NPCs.  I think.

Okay, playing Dishonored 2 right now and watching this preview has actually gotten me really excited for this game now. It essentially like an evolution of Dishonored's core gameplay with an experimental, clever new world structure around it. This preview actually makes it seem like Arkane simply went more Arkane with this one, leaning even more into the sandbox and emergent gameplay aspects.

Dishonored 2 is a legit masterclass of game design in my opinion so I'm really curious how this shakes up their ideas. 

6 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

Okay, playing Dishonored 2 right now and watching this preview has actually gotten me really excited for this game now. It essentially like an evolution of Dishonored's core gameplay with an experimental, clever new world structure around it. This preview actually makes it seem like Arkane simply went more Arkane with this one, leaning even more into the sandbox and emergent gameplay aspects.

Dishonored 2 is a legit masterclass of game design in my opinion so I'm really curious how this shakes up their ideas. 

Arkane is one the studio’s that I legit fanboy over. They create master class worlds and this seems to be no different.

29 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Arkane is one the studio’s that I legit fanboy over. They create master class worlds and this seems to be no different.

I absolutely love Prey but somehow never picked up Dishonored 2 until last week. I just got to Chapter 7 and it consistently blows my mind just how expertly crafted and flexible it is. It's 110% up my alley and the aesthetics alone are right on the money. 

I'm interested, but the art direction in this game just feels so bland.  It's full of fun sights, but then they're spaced apart by giant spaces of beige. It also just don't really look "next-gen".  The Giant Bomb video still makes me want to keep an eye on it, but I certainly hope it looks a lot better in person.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: "PS5 Next Gen Immersion" trailer

PC system requirements:

Minimum (1080p, 30 fps, low settings):

• Processor : Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Memory : 12 GB
  • Graphics : Nvidia GTX 1060 (6GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
  • DirectX : Version 12
  • Storage : 30 GB available space (HDD)

Recommended (1080p. 60 fps, high settings):

• Processor : Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Memory : 16 GB
  • Graphics : Nvidia RTX 2060 (6GB) or AMD Radeon RX 5700 (8GB)
  • Storage : 30 GB available space (SSD)

Ultra (4K, 60 fps, ultra settings)

• Processor : Intel Core i9-10900K @ 3.70GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT
  • Memory : 16 GB system RAM
  • Graphics : Nvidia RTX 3080 (10GB) or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16GB)
  • Storage : 30 GB available space (SSD)

Deathloop will also support ultrawide displays, AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution, mixed-language subtitles (if you want French audio with English subtitles, for instance), and adjustable FOV and headbob. Advanced visual settings will include:

• Texture Details    
  • Model Details    
  • Shadow Details    
  • Water Details    
  • Terrain Details    
  • Decal Details    
  • Ambient Occlusion    
  • Sun Shadows   
  • Post-Process Anti-Aliasing    
  • TWAA Sharpness    
  • Sharpness Post Process    
  • Camera Motion Blur    
  • Bloom (yes/no)    
  • Depth of Field (yes/no)    
  • Lens Flare (yes/no)    
  • Light Shafts (yes/no)

Preloading of the PC version of Deathloop will begin at 10 am PT/1 pm ET/6 pm BST or your local equivalent on September 12. The game will actually unlock at different times across three separate regions, however:

• North/ South America: Unlocks at 9:01pm Pacific Time on September 13 (12:01am ET, September 14)    
  • Australia/New Zealand/Asia: Unlocks at 8:01am Pacific Time on September 13 (12:01am JST, September 14)    
  • Europe/Rest-of-world: Unlocks at 4:01pm Pacific Time on September 13 (12:01am BST, September 14)

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: PC System Requirements, Advanced Visual Settings, Pre-Loading/Unlock Times
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: "Down the Rabbit Hole" trailer

Game Information

Game Title: Deathloop

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Sep 14, 2021)
  • PC (Sep 14, 2021)

Developer: Arkane Studios

Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 88 average - 94% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digital Chumps - 10 / 10

Deathloop brilliantly transcends its shackles as an amalgamation of "Arkane's Greatest Hits" by offering players a thrilling, stylish take on shooters. Combat puzzles involving webs of untruths and harrowing escapes turn Blackreef into a time loop you won't want to break from.

EGM - 10 / 10

Deathloop layers a refined take on Arkane's signature mix of ability-driven action and stealth onto a time-looping premise, and the result is one of most memorable games of recent years. While many of the pieces may be familiar, the combination is fresh and full of surprises.

GameByte - 10 / 10

Even though we’re only just entering the Big Games Season, I am fully confident in my assertion that Deathloop is the best game of the year.

GameSkinny - 10 / 10 stars

Deathloop takes elements from games like Bioshock and Dishonored, combining them with a Groundhogs Day like timeloop to create the coolest, most stylish, and best game of the year.

GameSpot - 10 / 10

Arkane Lyon's follow-up to Dishonored is a masterclass in open-ended action game design.

GotGame - 10 / 10

Truly, I love Deathloop. It's the most exciting new AAA title I've played in quite a while. The learning curve is always challenging, but never frustrating. From the moment it started, the premise sucked me in and made me care about what was going on. I'm happy to say that this is a case in which delays really did a game a lot of good. Deathloop is easily one of the best titles to come out this year. Arkane Studios put their best foot forward in trying times and delivered an instant classic.

IGN - 10 / 10

Deathloop encases fun investigation work and satisfying combat in a unique time loop mechanic to create a tremendously satisfying adventure.

Impulsegamer - 5 / 5

Grab a copy and start dying as soon as you can!

PCGamesN - 10 / 10

A true tour de force from Arkane that is bound to be one of the year's best and most important games.

PlayStation Universe - 10 / 10

Deathloop is not only one of the most conceptually ambitious and well executed games ever made, but Arkane's PlayStation swansong also has a boundless energy and ingenuity that no other game can match. Quite simply, Deathloop is an unparalleled synergy of first-person shooter design, explorative bliss and narrative complexity that we likely won't see again for a very, very long time.

Pure Dead Gaming - 5 / 5 stars

Deathloop is outstanding. It has taken the superb gameplay of Dishonored and reworked the story, time period, aesthetic and fun factor into a package much more palatable for the average gamer. The result is not only one of the best games this year, it's the best next-gen exclusive on any console. This is a must buy.

TheGamer - 5 / 5 stars

Deathloop is one of the most interesting triple-A games in recent memory and you owe it to yourself to play it.

TheSixthAxis - 10 / 10

Deathloop is the kind of game that will get in your head and stay there even when you're not playing. Colt is a great protagonist, the intricate environmental design is a dream to explore, and the loop system keeps things fresh and offers so much replayability. Simply put, Deathloop is fantastic.

VG247 - 5 / 5 stars

It’s one of my favourite games of the year - and one we’ll surely be talking about for months to come.

VGC - 5 / 5 stars

Deathloop is slick and inventive, with a delicious sense of style and humour. One of the smartest and most outright entertaining games of the year.

God is a Geek - 9.5 / 10

Deathloop is a magnificently unstructured FPS filled with loads of weapons and abilities that never stops being fun.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9.5 / 10

There isn't anything else quite like Deathloop. It's a riveting detective mystery, plays with time loops in unique ways, and never feels like it slows down, even in those stealthier moments. It's a game that's thought out top-to-bottom, with two perfect leads heralding the charge and a unique multiplayer component that feels central to everything that Deathloop is, without ever getting in the way. Whether you're looking to break the loop or preserve it, Blackreef is certainly worth the visit. You may find yourself as stuck there too.

PowerUp! - 9.5 / 10

Deathloop is never anything less than absolute edge-of-your-seat gaming

Rectify Gaming - 9.5 / 10

A great story, clever twist, and fantastic level design come together to make an unforgettable experience. Arkane Lyon has truly created their best game ever.

ZTGD - 9.5 / 10

Deathloop is a fantastic game and worth the price of admission, my hope is that it is not left by the wayside due to its exclusivity and the sub sequential buyout of publisher Bethesda by Microsoft. I know a lot of fans feel they need to be on one side of this or the other, but I am here to tell you that Deathloop is a great game and worthy of a playthrough wherever you choose to experience it. Deathloop is probably one of the best examples of really blending those rogue-lite elements into an otherworldly and excellent story, freedom of choice, tight controls and a delightful cast of characters all wrapped in a beautiful package.

Atomix - Spanish - 92 / 100

‎I think that despite having some rough edges here and there, Deathloop could be considered another great work of Arkane Studios, one that has undoubtedly remained for posterity and that I am sure, will reach that degree of cult of the Dishonored and Prey. Who would you recommend this title to? Well, basically if you are a fan of the work of this company, I would tell you that this new proposal has to be within your priorities yes or yes, I am sure you will love it. In the same way and as always when I have the opportunity to talk about Arkane's work, I would tell you to give it a chance as soon as possible, because with Deathloop, we are talking about another of the great jewels of contemporary video game design thanks to its very fine design and shape.‎

Geek Culture - 9.1 / 10

Deathloop solidifies Arkane Studios’ standing as one of the best developers out there in delivering unique experiences that make repeating certain content fun and exciting.

3DNews - Russian - 9 / 10

Despite some technical and gameplay imperfections, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is a gripping CRPG.

Areajugones - Spanish - 9 / 10

‎Deathloop is a video game that maintains the characteristic elements of Arkane games: an outstanding level design, exceptional gameplay, an interesting story and a spectacular artistic section. A work with very few buts that has hooked me and fallen in love from beginning to end.‎

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

Deathloop takes Arkane's fantastic level design and world building and adds an interesting story with great characters on top, leaving you in a time loop that you won't want to break.

AusGamers - 9 / 10

It might take a flow-chart or two to understand its premise, but it takes experiencing a loop or two or three to discover its genius.

BaziCenter - Persian - 9 / 10

Deathloop is a very well crafted game that can be appealing to the majority of players, especially the fans of action and stealth genres. A solid gameplay structure combined with a mysterious story, beautiful visuals, memorable voice acting and very high replay values make the final package a must have.

Bazimag - Persian - 9 / 10

Arkane Studios has truly become one of the handful of studios that when they put their name on a product, we know it is going to deliver on all accounts and Deathloop is not only great at all the things it wanted to do but it is also a very powerful contender for the Game of the Year trophies, an absolute masterclass in video game development.

COGconnected - 90 / 100

If you thought Groundhog Day would have been even more awesome with guns and assassinations or that Dishonored would have been a better game if only Quentin Tarantino had directed it, you’d probably enjoy Deathloop. Despite some issues with pacing, bugs, AI, and mechanical clarity, Deathloop is smart, funny, intricately designed, and driven by engaging action, cool puzzles, and relative freedom to approach its objectives in various ways. Deathloop is an addictive and rewarding shooter and one of the most ambitious action games this year.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

Deathloop combines a classic Arkane stealthy-shooty foundation with a genuinely interesting and fun premise to aplomb. This is going to be on a lot of Game of the Year lists.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

First of all, Deathloop surprised me, because I didn't wait that much for its premiere, not knowing what the game would be there. And then he immediately captivated and kept in emotion until the very end. The rest of the titles planned for this year look boring and uninteresting.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

Deathloop is a rare game I started replaying as soon as the credits finished rolling. Now deep in a second playthrough, I'm still discovering new secrets and ways to play

Game Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Arkane Studios hits it out of the park with Deathloop, an infinitely entertaining first-person shooter stealth game with an intriguing PvP twist.

GamePro - German - 90 / 100

Access to Deathloop can be a bit cumbersome, but the mysterious time loop shooter rewards patient players with clever gameplay and an outstanding story.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

Deathloop is seriously slick. It’s a game that entrusts its players to engage with its systems in their own way, and while you’ll never at be a loss on what to do, you won’t have your hand held, either. It’s fast, it’s smooth, it’s a hell of a lot of fun. I almost don’t want the loop to end, quite frankly.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5 stars

Deathloop is a killer new-generation showcase that will keep you guessing until the very end

Gert Lush Gaming - 9 / 10

Anyone wanting a different challenge need to play DeathLoop as there isn’t anything else like it on the market.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Deathloop is another incredible title from Arkane, once again putting their skills in developing both quality stealth and first-person action to good use and blending it with time loops in order to create one of the year's most memorable games.

Hey Poor Player - 4.5 / 5

If you’ve been waiting for the PlayStation 5’s first true killer app, this is it. Deathloop is an innovative and satisfying take on the shooter genre that you can’t afford to miss. Developer Arkane Studios has managed to take Dishonored‘s rock-solid foundation and hone it to a razor’s edge. With a rewarding progression system and a gameplay loop that encourages experimentation and exploration, you can’t help but wonder why Colt would ever want to break this cycle. Sprawling, cerebral, and consistently exciting, Deathloop deserves a spot in every shooter fan’s PS5 library.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 90 / 100

Although there are some elements from Dishonored in the game, Arkane Studios delivers a unique FPS, with great characters an intriguing story and a wise use of time loops. There are some technical issues here and there, but we loved the experience.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9 / 10

Arkane did it again. Deathloop is a deep and greatly fun immersive sim in disguise, with strong characters, an interesting narrative and a beautifully handcrafted creative gameplay. Blackreef is a wonderful playground where freedom really matters and where amazing happens.

IGN Middle East - Arabic - 9 / 10

Deathloop is full of intrigue, clever ideas and a robust world design that is genuinely something different and unique. It’s problems with the inconsistent AI seems like a minor nitpick for what is an engrossing adventure, that uses various elements like time loop, roguelike elements, and RPG loot progression, and blends them into a seamless and highly enjoyable experience. Arkane rarely misses, and Deathloop is a perfectly aligned shot.

Kakuchopurei - 90 / 100

Deathloop is a treasure you need to experience. That said, it may not be for everyone who wants a conventional shooter experience.

Next Gen Base - 90 / 100

Deathloop is an excellent video game which truly showcases what Arkane are capable of as a studio. The time loop mechanic is used almost to perfection here, with your eight targets shifting across the four areas and time periods. Each loop will feed you with more information that you can then use to plan out the perfect run, knocking out your eight targets to break the loop and get off the island. The invasion mechanic is implemented extremely well, and I can only imagine the furious texts you’ll get from a friend as you jump in and kill them off for the umpteenth time. It looks gorgeous, it runs really well, and you should absolutely play it.

PC Invasion - 9 / 10

Outside of some annoying crashes and mishaps, Deathloop remains a stellar game with a brilliant premise, refreshing mechanics, and delightful characters. You'll repeat the same day and retread the same paths over and over. But, replayability is enhanced given how you'll discover new secrets and abilities to help you progress.

PPE.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

Deathloop could not count on a proper promotional campaign, but it undoubtedly defends itself with the quality of the game. An interesting plot, a good scheme of fun and an interesting relationship between the protagonist and the antagonist. I sincerely recommend!

Press Start - 9 / 10

It's not an easy thing Arkane has done here in serving up a genuinely fresh take on one of the medium's most enduring genres. Deathloop redefines what a shooter can be, and the developer has used their entire toolkit to get there. Satisfying action, world-building that's second-to-none, style and substance, and a genuinely enthralling riddle at the centre, Deathloop delivers it all. And it's through these triumphs that Deathloop earns its place in the first-person shooter pantheon, and puts its hand up during Game of the Year talks.

Prima Games - 9 / 10

There is plenty to sink your teeth into with Deathloop, whether you’re a fan of previous Arkane games or have never played one before. Deathloop is unlike anything I’ve played in a long time and more proof that Arkane Studios does not miss.

Seasoned Gaming - 9 / 10

The way Deathloop presents the player with mystery, and allows them to uncover it at their own pace, is fantastic. It is easily one of the most enjoyable games I’ve played this year.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Colt and Julianna’s rivalry keeps the tension and stakes high and it’s a loop I’ll be going back to over and over again, whether to break it or break other players for trying to break it.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9 / 10

Deathloop is an unusual but fascinating game to be experienced in one breath as a superb noir thriller in which, however, we are the killer. The AI is out of place compared to the rest of the game and it's not a perfect game, but it's not afraid to dare, it has style in spades, shows the creative team's burning passion in every corner and when finally get that perfect loop, the satisfaction is immeasurable.

TrustedReviews - 4.5 / 5 stars

Deathloop is one of the most innovative games from a major publisher that I’ve ever played, using the time loop mechanic to fantastic effect. With lots of clever puzzles and engaging combat, as well as a genius multiplayer element, this is one of the best games of 2021 yet.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

Also, again, it’s just so damn fun to play. And I think for a developer whose games have always been so clever and innovative to behold but not necessarily entertaining without a fair dose of punishment along the way, that’s hugely important. Deathloop is still signature Arkane in terms of exemplary immersive-sim design, reminiscent of BioShock and Dishonored, but it also puts a giant smile on your face each and every time you play. Quite whether that’s enough to see it succeed at a mainstream level remains to be seen, but there’s no doubt it’s another stellar title on the resume of an esteemed studio. It might even be its best.

Video Game Sophistry - 9 / 10

This is nothing short of a revolutionary change to the stealth action genre - albeit not perfect….Let’s put it this way….Deathloop has changed Stealth games to the same degree that Dark Souls...has changed Hack and Slash Games…

WayTooManyGames - 9 / 10

Arkane wants players to discover Deathloop as Colt does. The final product is an incredible experience that feels like a matured Borderlands with a massive helping of class and supernatural powers. I’m yet undecided as to whether or not this has dethroned Dishonored, but I will be coming back to Deathloop for many cycles to come.

WellPlayed - 9 / 10

Deathloop takes Arkane's well known brand of first-person action stealth and artfully melds it into a time-bending multi-assassination power fantasy.

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5 stars

Deathloop is one of Arkane's finest games yet, featuring incredible gameplay, excellent levels, tons of charm, and writing that's sure to bring a smile to your face. Watch out for the overly demanding specs and the occasional performance dip on PC, though.

XGN.nl - Dutch - 9 / 10

Deathloop proves that the concept of Groundhog Day also works in games. The story is phenomenal, mostly thanks due to the excellent voice-acting. Arkane focuses again on stealth, but also gives the play more options for all-out warfare, with a plethora of guns, special powers, and upgrades. The stay on Blackreef Island can get a little bit repetitive after multiple time loops, but the island itself is beautifully crafted, and the ending makes it all worth it. Arkane once again hit it out of the park!

PC Gamer - 89 / 100

A thoughtful response to Dishonored that makes for an entertaining stealth shooter in its own right, but it's the multiplayer invasions that make Deathloop sing.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.7 / 10

Deathloop is the newest hit from Arkane Studios and even if it feels very familiar to Dishonored at the beginning, the gameplay loop changes everything. The studio captivates players again with a strong level design and the day and night cycle gets even more out of the different environments. In short, with Deathloop in your hands you'll experience the best the studio has delivered so far and leaves little to be desired.

CGMagazine - 8.5 / 10

DEATHLOOP won't be a game for everyone—however, if you are a fan of sandbox styled titles or if you just like games like Dishonored, DEATHLOOP is a familiar feeling experience presented in a unique way that makes it feel fresh and fun to play.

Cultured Vultures - 8.5 / 10

Deathloop is an awesomely entertaining ride with stealth and puzzle elements that help make it feel like the big crazy sci-fi adventure it wants to be.

Noisy Pixel - 8.5 / 10

Deathloop is for detective nerds who just want to blow shit up. Each moment of this game offers some insane new plot twists and discoveries that further highlights how amazing the writing is. Players are rewarded through exploration, but at the cost that they could lose it all if they die in the process. It’s an experience that demands a keen eye and patience at times to unlock everything it has to offer, but at least the dumb enemies will rarely get in your way.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Arkane manages to leave its DNA clearly in one more game and it uses several other current mechanics very well. However, the player will still suffer at the beginning of Deathloop, having to go through a long and exhausting learning curve. Despite that, after mastering and understanding how the game works, it will be possible to enjoy a great and fun title.

Stevivor - 8.5 / 10

The positives easily outweigh the negatives; Deathloop offers up a highly enjoyable gameplay loop shrouded in mystery.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8.5 / 10

Arkane Studios has provided a unique game as expected from the beginning.

Worth Playing - 8.5 / 10

Deathloop is an engaging and enjoyable game that manages to capture the feel of Dishonored in a more fast-paced adventure. The unique setting and engaging concept carry the game through the repetitive nature of the gameplay. The multiplayer at the center of the story is more of a mixed bag but still intriguing enough to be memorable. Some annoying bugs drag down the experience. If you liked Dishonored but wished it were less about stealth and more about blowing things up, then Deathloop is the game for you. Just be prepared to die again and again.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Deathloop is an original, visionary and courageous work, a playful experiment that returns to reiterate the indisputable talent of the Arkane Studios team, which over the years has never stopped putting itself to the test with ever new challenges, often in line with the commercial logic of the triple A market. The result of the studio's latest creative bet is a brilliant game design exercise, at the base of a ludonarrative construct as multifaceted as it is compelling, blessed by an absolutely majestic artistic direction. Deathloop is a one-of-a-kind game, which unfortunately is torn from excellence by some rather important flaws.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Deathloop is based on Dishonored foundations and uses many of its level design tropes. It must be considered a smaller project, but a very brilliant one, with very good ideas and an intriguing game concept.

Checkpoint Gaming - 8 / 10

DEATHLOOP is a cathartic blend of stealth, gunplay and powers that culminate in a satisfying gameplay loop as you explore the eccentric island of Blackreef. Whilst the narrative payoffs don’t always live up to the intriguing premise, there’s an undeniable sense of style and substance that help carry the game into really favourable territory. Knowledge really is power in DEATHLOOP and there’s a pleasurable novelty to much of the game’s design that allows it to feel engaging even when the player’s hand is held a little too tightly. Even within a year of time loop releases, DEATHLOOP stands out as its own unique beast worth experiencing.

Daily Mirror - 4 / 5 stars

With an intriguing story and compelling gameplay, Deathloop is one of the most original and gripping games to come out in the past few years. One of the best parts of Deathloop is after you solve one mystery, often several more take their place, requiring you to keep digging. With multiple weapons, slags and trinkets to experiment with the games offer a huger number of variables to help mix up the game and For a game about repetition, these elements make it incredibly fresh. With Julianna waiting in the wings to finish you off, adding an element of delicious, unpredictable danger to an already gripping game.

Easy Allies - 8 / 10

Deathloop is a mind-bendingly good time.

GameMAG - Russian - 8 / 10

Consistency is the mother of mastery. And DEATHLOOP is another consistent release of Arkane Studios. For newcomers this game can serve as a great entry point to the Arkane portfolio. While all the hadcore fans will surely get what they expect from this title, even with this new and experimental format. There's no better place for experiments than in the endless time loop, after all.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Deathloop is a unique mix between FPS, sci-fi and mystery in a 70's case. Trapped in a time loop, Colt Vahn must understand and memorize every nook and cranny of a strange island and it's strange cast of vilains. Despite some kind of redundancy in its last hours, Deathloop is an intelligent, beautiful, singular and well-written adventure not to miss.

GamingTrend - 80 / 100

Deathloop walks a bit of a fine line, but overall has enough fun ideas to keep things mostly fresh and fun for Colt and Julianna players alike.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Those of us who love to get into the game, learn more about its world and eavesdrop, read emails on terminals and rack our brains to get into places without being shot at, are in luck: with Deathloop we have a great game for a while.

Inverse - 8 / 10

Deathloop playfully bends the rules of its genre, thanks to being steered by the steady hands of the people who helped write those rules in the first place. Action-stealth games tend toward homogeny, but Deathloop wisely forces you to play smarter — and feel smarter as a result.

Push Square - 8 / 10

Few games have the confidence and swagger of Deathloop. Packed full of charisma and wit, it's a game that can be played your way, with your own style and cunning. A very accomplished package of gameplay features supplies the goods, and the time loop delivers fun and deceitful opportunities over and over again.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

Excellent experience overall, energized ambiance with satirical music, which brings us a unique blend. There is some conservatism of the behavior of enemies with AI, but it didn't hinder the experience and didn't detract from its fun. Deathloop is really akin to "Dishonored with guns"!

We Got This Covered - 4 / 5 stars

Deathloop, summarized, is "Arkane does Hitman." It glorifies its repetition, and never feels unrewarding, especially when taking down a player-controlled Juliana. I want to re-immerse myself in its world, pick apart its secrets, and master its systems. Not everything works seamlessly, but taken as a whole it's an immersive sim sandbox of unmatched proportions.

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5 stars

Deathloop is a tremendously stylish stealth-action game that builds on Arkane's strengths, even if some of its creative gambles fall flat.

GamingBolt - 7 / 10

If your prefer your time-looping adventures to be more stylish and violence-oriented, then Deathloop may be for you. Even with its various issues, there is satisfaction to be had in learning each map and completing the perfect series of assassinations.

Metro GameCentral - 7 / 10

Not quite a misfire but while the action is highly entertaining this time-looping adventure squanders much of its premise on disappointingly straightforward objectives and a curiously tame portrayal of unchecked hedonism.

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

For fans of the modern Hitman series, Arkane's outstanding catalog, and great-feeling FPS games in general, Deathloop is highly recommended; just go into the wild narrative with tempered expectations for self-directed play.

Sirus Gaming - 7 / 10

I enjoyed my time in Deathloop with all the moments of killing Visionaries with a hacked ballistic turrets to a gratifying ending, but I can't dismiss the problems I see in the game. Overall, this isn't Arkane's best creation yet, but it does feel homage for speedrunners and die-hard Dishonored fans. I recommend the game when it goes on sale, or if you're a die-hard Arkane fan.

Gamerheadquarters - 6.8 / 10

Deathloop has a rather unique premise to it, but it misses the mark in the execution being littered with numerous issues that plague an overall solid experience.

TechRaptor - 6.5 / 10

Deathloop tries its best to live up to the reverence of preceding games like Dishonored and Prey. Unfortunately for the residents of Blackreef island, it comes up a bit short in its execution of new ideas, resulting in some limitations and jarring qualities.

Gamers Heroes - 60 / 100

Deathloop is in a weird spot. It isn't as good as Dishonored, but I also don't expect to see another game in the series. If you want to support the studio or need a Dishonored fix, this will help...but honestly, the game isn't that fun.

ACG - Wait for Sale

"Deathloop is fun but it has a ton of problems identifying what it is, hedge wizard assassination game or slim wallet gun runner assassination game. nevertheless, the story is insanely good as it progresses."

Ars Technica - Unscored

Deathloop may ultimately go down as my biggest gaming disappointment of 2021

Console Creatures - Recommended

Deathloop feels like Arkane Studios threw on a chef’s hat, mixed Dishonored, Hitman, and Deus Ex in a pot, added a pinch of ’60s flair, two cups of badassery. Although I didn’t think I’d be too hungry, I came back for second and thirds. Deathloop is unabashedly an Arkane Studios game and while it's not without its rough edges, this outing is one of the most creative experiences I’ve played in recent memory.

Entertainium - Unscored

Deathloop is genuinely refreshing in how different it is. It took me a while to get used to not saving, and being more daring in my battles against the Eternalists, most of which ended successfully and only occasionally ended with me being shot to pieces. The world is fascinating and the way you gradually learn new tidbits of information each loop means that even if you are killed prematurely, you still feel you have meaningfully progressed. Each zone has loads of secrets to uncover and will respond to Colt’s actions in different ways, meaning that mastering the maps and their layouts is crucial to fully upgrading Colt’s weaponry and hopefully bringing about a final end to the time loop. Deathloop is a brave change of direction for Arkane, and one which I think is overall extremely successful. It might not be an immersive sim, but it’s still a hell of a fine game.

Eurogamer - Essential

A brilliant timeloop shooter that gives Dishonored's best tricks and techniques more opportunity to shine.

GamesBeat - Unscored

And the best thing I can say about Deathloop — after 12-ish hours with it — is that all I want is to go back and play more of it.

Player2.net.au - A or higher

Deathloop is both unique and familiar, subverting time, gameplay and expectations in equal measure. A mystery worth solving and experience worth having, there is nothing on this planet quite like Deathloop

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - RPS Bestest Bests

A time-looping shooter with funny dialogue and a very powerful boot, where stealth is just the thing that goes wrong before a good fight.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DEATHLOOP (14 September 2021) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted