Returnal - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC Port Review - "It's Good, But Could Be Great"

SaysWho?

'Returnal' for PS5 is Housemarque's most ambitious game yet

The studio has taken the wraps off of Returnal, a third-person shooter for the PS5 that’s decidedly more ambitious than titles like Resogun. At first blush, it’s an Edge of Tomorrow-inspired thriller that has you desperately trying to break a cycle where you crash, die in an attack, and somehow come back to life. You can expect strange enemies, a test of your sanity, and lots of projectiles.

I was a bit saddened when they announced indie games weren't working out for them and they would pivot to larger titles... However this just looks like a really high budget indie game from them! This is in my top 5 games of the show and I'm happy to see them still doing arcadey stuff.

25 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

I was a bit saddened when they announced indie games weren't working out for them and they would pivot to larger titles... However this just looks like a really high budget indie game from them! This is in my top 5 games of the show and I'm happy to see them still doing arcadey stuff.

Exactly.

This looks like a bullet hell arcadey AA/AAA game. Sony really seems to like Housemarque. They have trouble on the independent scene, but I'd love if they had Sony's resources under that umbrella. They'd be able to do so much, including their smaller, less expensive works.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Exactly.

This looks like a bullet hell arcadey AA/AAA game. Sony really seems to like Housemarque. They have trouble on the independent scene, but I'd love if they had Sony's resources under that umbrella. They'd be able to do so much, including their smaller, less expensive works.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't bought them out yet - Housemarque makes Playstation exclusives like 85% of the time.

• 3 months later...

Posted this in the PS5 thread, but figured to reshare here.  Currently loving Hades has me very interested in trying other Roguelikes, new and old.  This game was one that interested me initially, and now this gameplay mechanic has me even more interested.

I was mentioning to @Mercury33recently how I hoped we would get a AAA effort at this style of game, and while I don't know enough about Returnal to know if it'll be what 'm looking for, definitely has me very hyped for it.

returnal-listing-thumb-01-ps5-15jun20-en
WWW.PLAYSTATION.COM

Explore Action game Returnal for PS5 console from the official PlayStation website.Check out Returnal features, news, videos, screen shots, and buy the game now from PlayStation Store.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Returnal (PS5, developed by Housemarque) - Information Thread, update: two new gameplay trailers
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Returnal (PS5, developed by Housemarque) - Information Thread, update: two new gameplay trailers (19 March 2021 release)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Returnal (PS5, developed by Housemarque) - Information Thread, update: two new gameplay trailers (19 March 2021)
  • 2 weeks later...