Returnal - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC Port Review - "It's Good, But Could Be Great"

SaysWho?

Just now, best3444 said:

Pretty much. It's kinda upsetting how this turned out. First really cool ps5 exclusive and they done fucked up. Who wants to play a game that brutally difficult? Jesus.

Unfortunately a lot of people, see souls games, so they will keep coming. If souls added an easy mode then I bet everyone else would. It’s just gate keeping that isn’t needed to not have some kind of easier option for players not as good at games.

It doesn’t force me to feel the thrill of victory or experience it as the creators intended, unless the experience they intended was for me to play a few hours, get annoyed, and never play it again.

Just talking about games like this in general, can’t comment if somehow this works (like hades works..but that actually had an easy mode..) of course.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

176999124_890960894796099_27644617348428

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

Oh my, that sounds positively brutal. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Oh shit.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Holy Mary mother of God. WTF honestly. I'll be passing on this for sure. Sucks.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I might just have to actually try gamefly for this, I really want to see it, see what it’s about, how it plays etc, but I don’t think I really want to play it much. Maybe I’ll still pay the $70 and see if I get into it, but man they are killing my hype with these difficulty reports.

Couple problems with these posts

1. That’s a random guy. His post about losing everything is wrong. Like Hades/Dead Cells, you have permanent upgrades in this game.

2. This was laid out in previews and blog posts and this thread (random maps, difficulty, some permanent upgrades, rogue like)

You guys are better off reading previews than whatever post that is. Kind of a pity that random post is making rounds.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

176999124_890960894796099_27644617348428

Don't like the lack of overall progression that was such a hook in Hades.  Every run you felt contributing to your overall progression so it was always worth it.

But at the same time, I love a challenge, so still hyped.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Couple problems with these posts

1. That’s a random guy. His post about losing everything is wrong. Like Hades/Dead Cells, you have permanent upgrades in this game.

2. This was laid out in previews and blog posts and this thread (random maps, difficulty, some permanent upgrades, rogue like)

You guys are better off reading previews than whatever post that is. Kind of a pity that random post is making rounds.

I have been watching previews all day. Honestly, the game doesn’t look THAT hard. We shall see!

• Like 1

PowerPyx isn't merely some "random" poster.  It's one of the better-known achievement/trophy sites.

"PowerPyx.com - Guides for Trophies, Achievements & Collectibles"

PowerPyx-Wallpaper-2016.jpg
WWW.POWERPYX.COM

On the official PowerPyx Website you can find Trophy Guides, Achievement Guides, Collectibles, Walkthroughs, Strategies, Solutions for the latest Games!

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

PowerPyx isn't merely some "random" poster.  It's one of the better-known achievement/trophy sites.

"PowerPyx.com - Guides for Trophies, Achievements & Collectibles"

PowerPyx-Wallpaper-2016.jpg
WWW.POWERPYX.COM

On the official PowerPyx Website you can find Trophy Guides, Achievement Guides, Collectibles, Walkthroughs, Strategies, Solutions for the latest Games!

There's a lot of "better-known" people doing previews, like the devs, who contradict him:

50825817908_13feb668c4_k.jpg
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

How Housemarque is equipping you to survive its upcoming PS5 action shooter.

For Selene, death is no escape. Each death sends Selene to the start of the time loop, just moments before crashing on the planet. Most abilities and items collected on the previous cycle will be lost…but not all of them. Some persist across sessions, so you’ll still make progress every cycle.

One of these persisting elements is the mysterious Cthonos, an alien device that generates a random item at the beginning of each cycle. This otherworldly device is tracking your performance, and when enough progress is accumulated you will be rewarded with a brand new item for immediate use, which will also be permanently added to the pool of available loot from that point on as well.

Also keep in mind: this game is hard, but he's talking about it from the perspective of a trophy hunter. Indeed, I'd imagine a game with RNG worlds is going to be much harder to plat than one that doesn't. But there's a big difference between difficulty in beating and difficulty in achieving a plat.

I wouldn't freak out from what I'm reading if you liked something like Dead Cells.

If any of y'all need some Housemarque stuff that's easy to pick up and play and get you in the groove for arcade bullet hell, try this underappreciated gem, Matterfall:

EER-noscale.jpg

Or Alienation from 2016, which is way too fun:

maxresdefault.jpg

But it's really hard to beat Resogun and its DLC. Played this game to death last gen.

23b2b5cc861aebc8e2efe174412f467c5a0ba6d2

Matterfall is one-player. Alienation and Resogun are co-op and single-player. I think Resogun might have a competitive one, but I don't remember much or if it has it -- pretty sure co-op is the best for that.

I don't always like rougelikes, and I think the fact that there is some permanent progression will be a saving grace for me. It means that each run will be meaningful in the scope of the game and that I'm not always starting from scratch.

Also, I'm not one of those people that feel like they need 100 hours from a game for it to be worth my money.

Excited to have another good new game to use my PS5 for. I tried so hard to get the freakin thing.

• Like 1

Nex Machina is one of the best PS4 games, and Housemarque are amazing developers.  This game looks fantastic, but I can't stand rogue-anything anymore.  I wonder if expectations for this game are overblown because we are in such a drought for true next-gen experiences.  People who aren't familiar with Housemarque's arcade-style, score-chasing gameplay are likely going to be bewildered by this game.

4 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Nex Machina is one of the best PS4 games, and Housemarque are amazing developers.  This game looks fantastic, but I can't stand rogue-anything anymore.  I wonder if expectations for this game are overblown because we are in such a drought for true next-gen experiences.  People who aren't familiar with Housemarque's arcade-style, score-chasing gameplay are likely going to be bewildered by this game.

The game looks to be much deeper than a regular arcade-style game. The story and lore look quite interesting plus it has Metroid/Control elements. The way it blends all these things is what has people pumped.

42 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Nah man, expectations are just high because previews are glowing and nobody but me and anyone familiar with Housemarque seemed to have any expectations for this game. People just need to read previews and determine if it's something they want to try. By the sound of the previews, if you dig Dead Cells, you should be able to dig this unless arcade-style gameplay is a turn-off, imo.

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Jesus ya’ll really let a  2 paragraph impression from a trophy hunting website shrivel your balls. 

c596c8d604c39a6c34fa146fdbe2a060.gif

2 hours ago, johnny said:

i remember resogun being difficult but it’s amazing. 

Same with Nex Machina. Especially on Normal, which is still funny to me, shit gets real. I've been playing again today and last night and Housemarque know how to make every single detail in a game shine, that's for sure.

17 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Okay, how'd you do that?

If you click your link you will see on the left is box with 2 arrows that say embed

Click it and 2 links will pop up, choose the one that says iframe and copy it.

When post on D1p you can see the button upper left that says source.

Click it and paste the iframe link 

Click source again and the gif is embeded

• Thanks 1