Jump to content

Returnal (30 April 2021) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted


Recommended Posts

I downloaded my save file from the cloud, and then put the console in rest.  I'll wait for the next patch.  I'd be pretty furious if the save was gone.  I'm as patient as anyone can be with bugs and other issues games have.  I can't imagine how hard developing games must be with how complex they've become.  Then add working with new hardware whose software is a work in progress as well.  

 

But when a patch drops and it seems like literally everyone is having issues with it immediately, how does that get through testing.

 

My Outriders character got corrupted like 2 weeks ago and still waiting on them to fix it, and now this with this game.  

 

Only other save file I can remember was corrupted for me was Dragons Dogma as I was at the end of the game.  That was brutal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I downloaded my save file from the cloud, and then put the console in rest.  I'll wait for the next patch.  I'd be pretty furious if the save was gone.  I'm as patient as anyone can be with bugs and other issues games have.  I can't imagine how hard developing games must be with how complex they've become.  Then add working with new hardware whose software is a work in progress as well.  

 

But when a patch drops and it seems like literally everyone is having issues with it immediately, how does that get through testing.

 

My Outriders character got corrupted like 2 weeks ago and still waiting on them to fix it, and now this with this game.  

 

Only other save file I can remember was corrupted for me was Dragons Dogma as I was at the end of the game.  That was brutal.

Oh damn I lost 70 hours with that Dragon's Dogma bug. Too bad I loved the game so much that I put another 70 hours into it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

But when a patch drops and it seems like literally everyone is having issues with it immediately, how does that get through testing.

 

I really have no insight, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the patch was tested and cleared solely in a developer kit environment which has enough different variables than a "live" environment where the issues don't occur.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The game gave me this amazing max integrity boost and then put me in a lockdown with the most absurd wave of shit I have ever seen. Like at least 50 enemies. Fuck you game.

  • Haha 1
  • UpDoot 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joe said:

The game gave me this amazing max integrity boost and then put me in a lockdown with the most absurd wave of shit I have ever seen. Like at least 50 enemies. Fuck you game.

 

Where you at in the game? Beat the first boss?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stepee said:

 

Where you at in the game? Beat the first boss?


Nope lol. I don’t get how to avoid Phrike’s sword attack. I’m thinking to maybe try parrying because the dodge doesn’t seem to work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

against phrike you have to get down his patterns, keep moving and shooting. assault rifle is the easiest weapon to take him down with because of the rate of fire imo 

 

the hardest thing about the bosses IMO is just getting to them. you play like two hours, get to a boss, die, and then it could take another 30+ mins to get to him again.  so you don’t always get a lot of looks at the boss and you feel super defeated when you die 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, johnny said:

the hardest thing about the bosses IMO is just getting to them. you play like two hours, get to a boss, die, and then it could take another 30+ mins to get to him again.  so you don’t always get a lot of looks at the boss and you feel super defeated when you die 

 

God that sounds so disheartening. 😔 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe said:


Nope lol. I don’t get how to avoid Phrike’s sword attack. I’m thinking to maybe try parrying because the dodge doesn’t seem to work.

 

Lol, same. I just died to him my second time. I did successfully dodge his sword a couple times and just barely beat his second phase this time. You have to look for this little movement he does and get ready to dodge right then I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

man, died that time because I didn’t realize that the fucking electric skeleton or whatever fucks can move into the other rooms with the door shut, creeped me the fuck out and died easily 

Link to post
Share on other sites

also what’s your guys’ PSN? mine is DippingSticks so idk if we are already friends. i want more friends :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe said:


Nope lol. I don’t get how to avoid Phrike’s sword attack.


️ 
 

It works. For reals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I don’t have enough time for a proper run and since there is no save yet, I like doing total fuck around runs where you just don’t give a shit and try to just go fast and shoot things looking cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I somehow lucked out and beat the first 2 bosses on my first attempt. Now I can't even make it to the boss anymore, the gold doors have near impossible challenges for me, its where most of my runs die.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I downloaded the patch and have been playing with no issues so far... fingers crossed.

 

So are you guys playing on 1.3.1?  Or did they release a fixed patch?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

 

So are you guys playing on 1.3.1?  Or did they release a fixed patch?

playing on 1.3.1

Link to post
Share on other sites

My tag is JPDunks4 on PSN.  Once  you guys hit a certain point, there's some leaderboards we can compare scores on.  So might be more fun to have more people.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I turned off auto-update, but I woke up to find that an update had been applied and my game had been closed. Do you have to turn off auto-update on a per-game basis? Any tips on how to do so?

 

 

Sucks because I was on a really good run. I'd decided I was going to focus on getting cubes and unlocking better artifacts in the first biome. I did that once, got to biome 3, and died right before the boss. Did it again, but got such a nice build together I was able to beat the third AND fourth bosses. Had just entered the fifth biome when I had to call it a night.

 

I'll just say that I didn't expect what happens after beating the third boss and that I wish there as more variety in the boss arenas. I feel like the entire game is encouraging you to move and to use the environment to your advantage, and then you get to a boss and it's just an empty circle room and million orbs of death with nowhere to hide. The third boss mixes it up, but it still doesn't feel representative of the rest of the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed when I was playing last night that I came across a lot more "fallen scouts" dead bodies of other players. When you scanned them you were either given the opportunity to avenger them, scavenge them or they would come to life and attack you. That's pretty cool. I don't have a lot of friends on PSN so add me if you want to be avenged :lol: skillzdadirecta.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I noticed when I was playing last night that I came across a lot more "fallen scouts" dead bodies of other players. When you scanned them you were either given the opportunity to avenger them, scavenge them or they would come to life and attack you. That's pretty cool. I don't have a lot of friends on PSN so add me if you want to be avenged :lol: skillzdadirecta.

Sent a request.  You will have a lot of avenging to do. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I noticed when I was playing last night that I came across a lot more "fallen scouts" dead bodies of other players. When you scanned them you were either given the opportunity to avenger them, scavenge them or they would come to life and attack you. That's pretty cool. I don't have a lot of friends on PSN so add me if you want to be avenged :lol: skillzdadirecta.

 

If you were getting this, you must have had the update.  I think that's only live in the other updated version.  Did they activate it again in 1.3.4?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

 

If you were getting this, you must have had the update.  I think that's only live in the other updated version.  Did they activate it again in 1.3.4?

I was definitely getting a bunch of them last night. Haven't played today but I was getting a ton of the fallen players. I know the game updated when I first started playing yesterday but I'm not sure what update I got. Game played fine for me last night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...