Returnal - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC Port Review - "It's Good, But Could Be Great"

SaysWho?

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

As it stands, for myself there's basically no reason I'm aware of to re-fight an early boss. Maybe I find a better gun, but the odds of that aren't any better than finding the same gun in the next random chest. You do find a small health boost item after a boss fight, but odds are that if I survive it's going to be with minimal health. So the risk/reward just doesn't really exist.

On the other hand, if I see a room with a star over the doorway in an earlier biome, These are rooms that guarantee a more difficult fight, with lots of small enemies and at least a couple big ones. If I find clear of those before the teleporter to the next world, I'll probably find a couple new guns at the very least. Hopefully I find a useful artifact/parasite, and since there are usually a few health items, even if I do take damage, I probably come out about even. If I fight well, I probably get to increase my max health a bit. So even for those rooms I know will be difficult, there's a good balance of risk/reward that doesn't exist for early bosses.

Boss's will drop an artifact I believe.  So if you can get good enough to kill one with little effort, still worth running them.  It also unlocks more Lore on the boss's.  If you look at your Log Book, it shows what % of each item you have unlocked.

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

You don't start off in the next biome after you die, you always start from the beginning. Often you can get to the second or third biome very quickly, but there is some value in staying a bit longer in an early biome in order to find better artifacts/parasites/consumables.

As it stands, for myself there's basically no reason I'm aware of to re-fight an early boss. Maybe I find a better gun, but the odds of that aren't any better than finding the same gun in the next random chest. You do find a small health boost item after a boss fight, but odds are that if I survive it's going to be with minimal health. So the risk/reward just doesn't really exist.

You get lots of ether for defeating a boss, and you get to use those cube fabricators that gets you a really good permanent item for future runs.

Since they're usually a lot easier the further you get into the game, it can be quite worth it. I beat the first boss again and took little damage, but regardless, I healed back at the ship anyway.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

You get lots of ether for defeating a boss, and you get to use those cube fabricators that gets you a really good permanent item for future runs.

Since they're usually a lot easier the further you get into the game, it can be quite worth it. I beat the first boss again and took little damage, but regardless, I healed back at the ship anyway.

I forgot you can heal at the ship after the first boss.

What permanent buffs do you get for putting in data cubes? I searched and couldn't find a list beyond the rewards for beating a boss the first time. Though I did learn that there is always a data cube in the first biome.

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I forgot you can heal at the ship after the first boss.

What permanent buffs do you get for putting in data cubes? I searched and couldn't find a list beyond the rewards for beating a boss the first time. Though I did learn that there is always a data cube in the first biome.

I don't think they're permanent buffs, but they allow you to have better artifacts and items available to you in subsequent cycles that you wouldn't otherwise have. I forget if this was a cube or not, but I received a consumable that allows the first two times you're damaged to be converted to obolites or something like that.

35 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I don't think they're permanent buffs, but they allow you to have better artifacts and items available to you in subsequent cycles that you wouldn't otherwise have. I forget if this was a cube or not, but I received a consumable that allows the first two times you're damaged to be converted to obolites or something like that.

I took a break and ran through the first biome and this is pretty much it. You don't get a permanent buff, but you unlock new (and hopefully more powerful) artifacts for future runs.

Still think they should set you to full health after beating a boss, but at least there is some benefit for repeating bosses.

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I think they removed the ability to keep going back to your ship to heal. May have limited it to once now so it doesn't get abused.

fuck, I should have turned off auto updates. I’m sure the cheat codes you could enter in with a usb keyboard are gone too :(

Apparently the patch is corrupting people's saves and it seems pretty widespread already, be sure you guys don't mind risking it before updating. Friend just texted me that because he thought I was playing it. Apparently lots of reports on reddit, ERA etc.

ok good, I was in game in rest mode so it looks like it hasn’t updated yet. Turned off automatic updates until another patch, I can deal with the ship thing even though I was hoping for a patch that had an option to make it easier, not harder, but honestly I didn’t use it tooo much, but I’m not losing what little progress I have.

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

Well I started playing, and getting a CE-100028--1 Error every 5-10 seconds while playing during a high action scene.  I was afraid this might mean my save is corrupted.  They better have a fix for this and uncorrupt it.  

Check your cloud save and console save.

6 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I put my PS5 in rest mode and ain't touching it until they say it's fixed.

Same. It's close to midnight where they are but hopefully someone is aware and working to pull this patch or correct this asap.

I feel really bad for people who lost their progress. And I feel bad for the devs because... shit, I can't imagine making a game that many are really enjoying and screwing up like that.

Glad this was pulled quickly; right now, I'm just trying to help some people get their cloud save going so they barely lose any progress. I've lost much less progress in games and felt really crummy about it; losing a few dozen hours of progress would be devastating. :(