Jump to content

Returnal (30 April 2021) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted


Recommended Posts

luckily i haven’t had a crash yet but i keep getting tough rooms with tons of enemies in the first ~20 minutes of a run. hoping i get a run soon that makes it easier to last longer without running for my damn life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Getting gud has nothing to do with game breaking bugs doe.


The post I quoted of yours didn’t say anything about that. That’s not what I’m talking about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Pretty mixed impressions from my first few hours.

 

It looks great and plays great, so I don’t have many issues with the fundamentals. 

 

My first run I got to the first boss and died. My subsequent runs have not gone nearly as well. I’ve had multiple runs where I was playing at least 30 min without finding another gun, dying to rooms completely full of monsters. A better player certainly would have lived, but it didn’t feel great.

 

Overall, I really wish there was more that persisted between runs. I wish I could level up some ability or equipment or something so that a long failed run didn’t feel so bad. For some reason I was under the impression that you could upgrade your pistol in a way that would be permanent, but if so, I haven’t found that. I know it’s the standard of the genre to completely reset, but just a little more permanent growth would make a huge difference to me.

 

Of course, the worst run I’ve had, the one that ended my time for the night was one where I did find a decent weapon, had greatly increased my max health, had just cleared a big room and found another upgrade, and then the game crashed.

 

 

Anyone have some good overall tips for opening malignant things? I’ve been pretty risk averse so far because I don’t feel like I have a great sense of the risk/reward. One of the few that I did open really handicapped me in an otherwise good run. It just doesn’t feel great to be passing up most of the potential upgrades, but maybe I just shouldn’t.


I just beat the second biome, and it’s because I took more chances. Half the time you get a malignancy, but you’ll find ways to use your items wisely to get rid of it if it requires you to use consumables, or you’ll find a way to kill enough hostiles and get rid of it.

 

So open as much as you can and a lot of risk will be rewarded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

 

Anyone have some good overall tips for opening malignant things? I’ve been pretty risk averse so far because I don’t feel like I have a great sense of the risk/reward. One of the few that I did open really handicapped me in an otherwise good run. It just doesn’t feel great to be passing up most of the potential upgrades, but maybe I just shouldn’t.

 

Since you are early into the game, I'd say open or attempt most all of them.  It'll unlock the data entries for the Items and Consumable.  Weapons can drop as well which can be very handy.  

 

One thing to keep in mind, that wasn't made obvious to me before.  If you have 2 Malfunctions already on your suit, and you get a 3rd one, it'll destroy either an Artifact, Resin, or Keys.  So keep that in mind.  I'd roll the dice on stuff if you don't really have any valuable Artifacts, but if you do, I wouldn't.  My first few runs I did this a ton not knowing the consequences and probably destroyed a lot of valuable items.

 

Some Malfunctions can be pretty devastating, but most are also somewhat easy to get rid of.  Or you can get items that you can clear them all.  

 

I don't open a ton of the Maligned Chests anymore because so often its consumables, and I hardly ever use them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally had my first crash, and it was pretty much as I approached the Final Boss on another run.

 

It seemed to save all the data collectible type stuff I found during that run, so I didn't really lose anything as that is all I'm really working towards now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost caved and bought the game. As much as I want to try it, I don't think I'm going to get $70 worth of enjoyment out of it. I appreciate everyone's impressions though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JPDunks4 said:

 

I'm confident I could beat it with my Razor Kishi.

 

That’s cheating! I am planning to play it with my kishi actually though lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Something I've seen posted onTwitter but no clue if it's true.  Supposedly the suit you have one can cause some of the door bugs.  

 

I personally have had the 2nd suit on the entire time and have yet to experience any bugs.  So may be worth trying out.

 

They say it's the DLC suits, so supposedly sticking to your original suit is the safest.

 

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

For some reason I was under the impression that you could upgrade your pistol in a way that would be permanent, but if so, I haven’t found that. I know it’s the standard of the genre to completely reset, but just a little more permanent growth would make a huge difference to me.

 

The more things you kill with it the further it upgrades.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After my game crashed for the first time, now it seems completely broken.  If I go into the ship and come back out, the door wont open.  If I don't go in the ship and move forward, anytime I hit anything that brings up a loading screen, I can't interact with any doors.

 

Definitely a bummer.  Guess I'll be waiting for a patch.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I almost caved and bought the game. As much as I want to try it, I don't think I'm going to get $70 worth of enjoyment out of it. I appreciate everyone's impressions though. 

 

Have you played any other Housemarque games?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

 

Have you played any other Housemarque games?

Only Super Stardust HD, Dead Nation, and Resogun which I loved. Most of my concern comes down to not being able to save. If I'm reading the impressions right, for me to beat Returnal it would require me to sit there for at least 3-4 hours straight to beat a run. That's probably not happening in my house anytime soon sadly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Only Super Stardust HD, Dead Nation, and Resogun which I loved. Most of my concern comes down to not being able to save. If I'm reading the impressions right, for me to beat Returnal it would require me to sit there for at least 3-4 hours straight to beat a run. That's probably not happening in my house anytime soon sadly. 

 

While this needs a save mode, Rest Mode works just fine if that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

 

While this needs a save mode, Rest Mode works just fine if that helps.

We usually don't have power problems at my house but.....Friday we had strong wind in the area all day. Came home to a tree on my power lines in the back yard with a nice hole in my shed. They cut power a few times Saturday and Sunday dealing with multiple trees in the area. Definitely not a good launch weekend for a game like Returnal at my house haha. 

  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still on the first boss after like 15 runs, but I’m definitely getting that sense of ‘*I* am the one improving’ that made the Soulsborne games so exhilarating. Plus, nothing so far feels cheap. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The bugs and crashes are apparently pretty damn common. Even my only videogame nerd friend is playing it and deleted it in a rage for now until they fix it. He was apparently in 'level 2' after already being frustrated with the game and the thing hard crashed to the point he had to pull the plug etc

Link to post
Share on other sites

My game seems to be working again.  But it did have the glitch like 5 starts in a row in that opening area.  I have the default suit back on now.

 

I am addicted to the game.  Even though I've basically seen most of all there is to see, I'm still enjoying trying to collect everything and improve.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting the game in rest mode is in lieu of saving is risky at best. I had been doing that and then yesterday we had a brief power outage in the neighborhood and let's just say the PS5 doesn't like being shut off improperly. The game is very addicting and is no where near as hard as the reviewers have made it out to be but these bugs are unforgivable.

 

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The reviews that I read didn't mention anything about bugs and crashing. Sorry to hear this, guys. 

This is why I find reviews useless for the most part. They often don't mention important shit like this and you're just left with subjective opinions coming from someone who rushed through the game as quickly as possible and missed a lot of nuance to the game.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

My game seems to be working again.  But it did have the glitch like 5 starts in a row in that opening area.  I have the default suit back on now.

 

I am addicted to the game.  Even though I've basically seen most of all there is to see, I'm still enjoying trying to collect everything and improve.


Get to some of their older games if you dig this. Resogun, Alienation, Matterfall, Dead Nation, Super Stardust Ultra, and Nex Machina are all addictive. My favorites are probably the first two in terms of sheer addiction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is why I find reviews useless for the most part. They often don't mention important shit like this and you're just left with subjective opinions coming from someone who rushed through the game as quickly as possible and missed a lot of nuance to the game.

 

Then again the reviewer may never have encountered a bug, it's not even a matter of rushing through it. It's just one person. You'll see a lot more people crying about bugs because not all bugs happen to everyone.

 

Your favorite youtuber, Jim Sterling, seemed to be having a heck of a time getting Outriders to run, in fact it was so buggy they could only play it for 2 hours before they asked for a refund. But the opposite happened with their impressions, people were telling them it worked fine, etc. Not in their experience. So pointing out bugs is a two way street. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. :p

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Jeff Grubb mentioned the crashes he had, but also said he wasn't sure if the Day 1 Patch would fix them, so he didn't want to go to heavily into for that reason.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

Then again the reviewer may never have encountered a bug, it's not even a matter of rushing through it. It's just one person. You'll see a lot more people crying about bugs because not all bugs happen to everyone.

 

Your favorite youtuber, Jim Sterling, seemed to be having a heck of a time getting Outriders to run, in fact it was so buggy they could only play it for 2 hours before they asked for a refund. But the opposite happened with their impressions, people were telling them it worked fine, etc. Not in their experience. So pointing out bugs is a two way street. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. :p

 

One reviewer not pointing out bugs I would see your point. Damn near all of them? Whatever... I'm not knocking anyone for listening to reviewers. I personally have found videogame reviews next to uselss especially with actually players posting impressions and what not. I get more useful information about a given game from reddit threads and forums than any professional website. The bug thing is just one reason for me... like I said, reviewers rush through games so fast in order to meet deadlines that it not only impacts their impressions and enjoyment of the game but they often miss a lot.

 

and who said Jim Sterling is my favorite Youtuber? I don't watch his videos at all... not sure where you got that from :confused:. I don't watch really any videogame youtubers regularly 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

and who said Jim Sterling is my favorite Youtuber? I don't watch his videos at all... not sure where you got that from :confused:. I don't watch really any videogame youtubers regularly 

 

It was sarcasm as you've expressed displeasure from their videos in the past. :p

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever the crux of the issue is, I think it's irritating and beyond old to see a game get hailed with a boatload of 9s and 10s and what not and then be a total mess for a striking amount of players. I mean look at the percentage of players in this thread alone that have run-ending issues, which in this game seems especially bullshit. I'm mainly bitching about it because it already kept me from finally buying Disco Elysium last month, which was also an abject mess and yet reviewed like the second coming of Christ. 

 

I know it has nothing to do with it but I can't help but think back on Prey's initial reviews banging it down to 4/10 and worse for being buggy on release and it wasn't nearly as bad as these two for example. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

 it already kept me from finally buying Disco Elysium last month, which was also an abject mess and yet reviewed like the second coming of Christ. 

 

Disco Elysium is totally fine on the PC :p

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Returnal Crashes May Be Sony's Problem, Other Bugs Being Investigated - Push Square"

1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Crash landing - While it’s certainly not affecting everyone, a number of Returnal players are experiencing crashes while...

 

 

Quote

While it’s certainly not affecting everyone, a number of Returnal players are experiencing crashes while playing the game. This is something Housemarque has acknowledged, although it’s suggested that the PlayStation 5 is the problem – and not necessarily the game. Writing on Discord, a spokesperson said: “This is an issue with the platform. We've sent our report to [Sony]. Specifically, it has something to do with the pre-start system.” We haven’t got a clue what the pre-start system is, but that doesn’t sound good, does it?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

 

Disco Elysium is totally fine on the PC :p

 

The PS5 version of The Final Cut is what I wanted to buy and that was a mess at launch, that's all I know about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

Whatever the crux of the issue is, I think it's irritating and beyond old to see a game get hailed with a boatload of 9s and 10s and what not and then be a total mess for a striking amount of players. I mean look at the percentage of players in this thread alone that have run-ending issues, which in this game seems especially bullshit. I'm mainly bitching about it because it already kept me from finally buying Disco Elysium last month, which was also an abject mess and yet reviewed like the second coming of Christ. 

 

I know it has nothing to do with it but I can't help but think back on Prey's initial reviews banging it down to 4/10 and worse for being buggy on release and it wasn't nearly as bad as these two for example. 

THANK YOU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

"Returnal Crashes May Be Sony's Problem, Other Bugs Being Investigated - Push Square"

1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Crash landing - While it’s certainly not affecting everyone, a number of Returnal players are experiencing crashes while...

 

 

 

It's the PS5? Wouldn't surprise me at all... this thing is finicky as hell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

 

Disco Elysium is totally fine on the PC :p

 

 

The Final Cut has a bunch of bugs when I played through it, I had to kill the app maybe a dozen times and resize the screen to get text prompts to appear. Hopefully they patch that stuff out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...