Returnal - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC Port Review - "It's Good, But Could Be Great"

SaysWho?

Not really related but I found out I was trying the wrong arch stone after the first one in Demon Souls so maybe that’s why I just got stuck and couldn’t progress at all past those stupid skeletons. Maybe I’ll try the one Im supposed to do next while I’m already punishing myself with this

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I own all of that, but that's REALLY good to know. You said you bought them, but you have a familiarity with the dev; what games of theirs have you played?

Mostly just Resogun and Nex Machina.  I always wanted to get Outland too, and might soon since it's BC on the Xbox.  I haven't played their other PS4 games!

Between Housemarque and Remedy, the Finns really know how to make shooters.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

So you don’t keep weapons when you die? Lameeeee. Game is so much fun, though.

To clarify, you keep the shitty pistol, but I just had an awesome run where I got a machine gun and I died. When I came back, I had the pistol again. 

So I was waiting for the reviews before buying, went to pre-order on Amazon yesterday and they said it would be here on Tuesday, so I didn't order, thinking I could just grab it at Best Buy or something.

As of right now Best Buy can ship it to me by the 10th, and no stores have it available to pickup. Gamestop is pretty much the same. Amazon now does seem to have them in stock, so it'll be here by tomorrow.

Still. Just seems odd that a pretty big release is so hard to find physically. I wonder if they just won't be in stores until Tuesday? Is this a nudge to just get people to buy the digital version?

This kind of game is the exact reason I got a PS5 with a disc drive. It's a game I'm happy to pay to play, but I doubt I'll be putting in hundreds of hours or anything. Being able to give it to a friend or get a few bucks in credit after seems like an easy win.

19 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

So I was waiting for the reviews before buying, went to pre-order on Amazon yesterday and they said it would be here on Tuesday, so I didn't order, thinking I could just grab it at Best Buy or something.

As of right now Best Buy can ship it to me by the 10th, and no stores have it available to pickup. Gamestop is pretty much the same. Amazon now does seem to have them in stock, so it'll be here by tomorrow.

Still. Just seems odd that a pretty big release is so hard to find physically. I wonder if they just won't be in stores until Tuesday? Is this a nudge to just get people to buy the digital version?

This kind of game is the exact reason I got a PS5 with a disc drive. It's a game I'm happy to pay to play, but I doubt I'll be putting in hundreds of hours or anything. Being able to give it to a friend or get a few bucks in credit after seems like an easy win.

More than likely Sony wants you to buy the digital version so physical copies are probably limited. Demon's Souls was the same way. The Target I went to to get that game said the only got in five physical copies.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

To clarify, you keep the shitty pistol, but I just had an awesome run where I got a machine gun and I died. When I came back, I had the pistol again. 

I think later you can do something or other that let’s you have a good gun pick up at the start but idk how it works.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The pistol isn't shitty according to the devs and you could easily use it for your whole run.

Yeah I think it upgrades. 

I really love how even though you die and have to restart the biome, when it changes it kind of adapts to your previous run. Like when I replayed after losing the machine gun, I entered into a room very early on in the run where I could choose that machine gun or two different upgraded pistols.

16 minutes ago, johnny said:

look at this fuckin pro gamer 

I honestly am not really sure what was happening a lot of the time.  Still unclear on how I didn't die at times.  Like 1st boss, my health depleted but seemed like I had a 2nd wind or something that brought me back with full health.  The final boss I'm fairly certain my health bar dropped down to nothing a lot of times but I didn't die. 

I'm not totally sure what all the little health bar stuff means.

It was solid fun, and I know for a Rogue Lite you keep playing to uncover more.  Worth $70, not too sure just yet.  

Spoiler

After finishing it, and being spawned back at the beginning, I wasn't sure if it was just another new run or if it was meant to tell more story as an "End Game" area.  It did tell more story, and it had a chest that gave me a Lvl 15 weapon, so that was nice.  I'm not sure if that'll happen every run now or not.  I kept a few of the suit upgrades that will help make traversal and other stuff easier.  

It also says you can go into your ship to change the Challenge Mode or something, so I guess thats like a New Game+.  It wouldn't let me in my ship though so I wasn't sure if it'll be for future runs.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Yeah I think it upgrades. 

I really love how even though you die and have to restart the biome, when it changes it kind of adapts to your previous run. Like when I replayed after losing the machine gun, I entered into a room very early on in the run where I could choose that machine gun or two different upgraded pistols.

I beat one boss so far and got to the second area, and it does seem to give you some leeway. It's pretty easy to get back to the second area after dying, and since your perks on your weapons remain permanently unlocked, even your pistol will probably be a lot better in your next cycle.

Had to take a break because I was playing three hours straight, but that was good shit.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I beat one boss so far and got to the second area, and it does seem to give you some leeway. It's pretty easy to get back to the second area after dying, and since your perks on your weapons remain permanently unlocked, even your pistol will probably be a lot better in your next cycle.

Had to take a break because I was playing three hours straight, but that was good shit.

Question is: if you switch games on your PS5 (I assume this would close Returnal), will you be able to start with the first boss defeated the next time you play?

I'm so confused. How did JP even think he beat the game in less than 4 hours? Was the story that short? Were there credits?

37 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I may have spoken prematurely... 

Maybe I didn't complete a run yet.   Kinda confused

I'm so confused and sad at the same time. :(

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm so confused. How did JP even think he beat the game in less than 4 hours? Was the story that short? Were there credits?

I'm so confused and sad at the same time. :(

one full run supposedly takes about 3 hours

• Thanks 1

When I say I "beat" the game, I mean I was respawned back to the beginning again and lost all my items, but without dying.  I completed a "run".  As anyone familiar with a Rogue Lite will know, completing a run doesn't mean you are done with the game by any means.  Hence why I had the word "beat" in quotation marks.  

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I'll just say there was a bit more to the game than I had initially thought after that first clear.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, johnny said:

one full run supposedly takes about 3 hours

12 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

The story is built like Hades. Each run gives you the chance to collect more parts of the story. Technically you can beat the game but not see the entire story.

10 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

When I say I "beat" the game, I mean I was respawned back to the beginning again and lost all my items, but without dying.  I completed a "run".  As anyone familiar with a Rogue Lite will know, completing a run doesn't mean you are done with the game by any means.  Hence why I had the word "beat" in quotation marks.  

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I'll just say there was a bit more to the game than I had initially thought after that first clear.

Ok. I was kinda confused in what this genre was about I guess. Thank you guys for clearing it up. Sounds cool and nice work getting through one run. 

Put a few runs in and my biggest issues are 

The dodge mechanic feels like a split second too short, I am sure I ll get it down but the speed in which she moves feels like the dodge should be longer

Games like Hades and ROR2 give you interesting perks and they come at a quick enough pace to keep it fun. The perks here are doled out much slower and they are kinda meh.

The camera is really really in tight and its cost me some runs, a mob was behind me and was essentially in the same location of the camera and I couldnt see it. I think it just glitched behind me though. Also fell in a pit that was tough to see, and I had some upgrades that looked like you could drop in above them but they were is water maybe and it damaged and respawned you. I had run where all the tougher mobs spawned right at the beginning of the run, had 2 big boys spawned at the crash site. The biome runs are too long, you can really see the repeating layouts, each full run should be half as long as they are.

Even with all the bitching I am enjoying it a lot, i think for me the game needs a bit more time in the oven.

Okay, still on my 2nd run, just got the credits to roll.  So I guess now I "beat" the game.

Total of about 7 hours, 3:30 minutes each run.

Only time I've wiped was falling off the ledge that I posted about last night.

* I've had two 3:30 long runs, and thank god neither time it crashed.  I'd be pretty furious if it did.

• Shocked 1

The awesome part is, I think I have most all the suit upgrades now, so these runs should be way more fun now that I can practically go anywhere.  I think there might be one thing I'm missing based on areas I still don't know how to access.