Returnal - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC Port Review - "It's Good, But Could Be Great"

SaysWho?

22 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Housemarque isn't owned by Sony right?  I'd assume an official acquisition possibly soon enough?  They've more than proved themselves over time.

They are not owned by Sony yet. They are essentially a second party. I've been waiting for Sony to buy Housemarque, Clap Hanz, and Bluepoint since all three basically function as second parties, a thing that's not really a thing anymore.

10 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

This totally looks like my jam, even more after these previews.  I'm not buying a PS5 for it, but damn do I want to play it.

After reading the previews this looks like it will be my type of game. I'm with you though, I wouldn't buy a Ps5 for this but if I had one I'd be excited! 

Not that buying a ps5 is even possible anyway. :p

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

They are not owned by Sony yet. They are essentially a second party. I've been waiting for Sony to buy Housemarque, Clap Hanz, and Bluepoint since all three basically function as second parties, a thing that's not really a thing anymore.

It's also why Insomniac was a steal for the price. Spidey, their best-selling game, releases in 2018. Miles Morales follows it up, a full game but not full-blown PS5 sequel, and has sold better than Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us Part 2 in much less a period of time, and now Rift Apart is releasing.

And with several partnerships being announced the past few months, if Nintendo keeps doing what it's doing (doubt anything would change), and MS finally rights the ship in its first party library, gamers are gonna be fucking feasting.

arCc8MtGXDDVtupSmHxm9T-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TECHRADAR.COM

Returnal is a truly next-gen roguelike

Hands-on game reviews are a journalist's first impressions of a game based on spending some time with it ahead of our full review. In this case, we played the first two biomes of Returnal. The important thing is we have been able to play with it ourselves, and we can give you some sense of what it's like to enjoy, even if it's only an embryonic view. For more information, see TechRadar's Reviews Guarantee. 

Returnal is understandably a PS5 exclusive. While PS4 players will be wanting to get their hands on Sony’s upcoming first-party offering, we feel that returnal simply wouldn’t have worked on last-gen hardware.

Given that the game is based around constant death and respawning, the PS5’s super-fast SSD makes this ritual much less frustrating than it could have been on PS4. Loading times are extremely fast and transitions are seamless, making you more inclined to come back for more.

In addition, Returnal is a brilliant showcase for PS5 tech. The DualSense haptic feedback is fairly subtle, gently reacting to on-screen events in a way that doesn’t break your attention but adds to the experience. Paired with headphones, which allow for PS5 3D spatial audio, Returnal’s environment truly comes to life. You can hear the slithering of the world’s creatures in the background, the rumble of a storm in the distance, and the raindrops falling on Selene’s helmet.

All this immersion made us a bit motion sick at times, but Housemarque offers a selection of accessibility options that include removing motion blur, adjustments for color blindness and more. 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Normally I'd say why buy a studio that already makes exclusives for you, but that's kinda Sony's thing.

7 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Normally I'd say why buy a studio that already makes exclusives for you, but that's kinda Sony's thing.

Well at this point it'd just be smart to lock it up. Housemarque has made games for other systems in the past and Clap Hanz now has too (so has Bluepoint in the past). 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Well at this point it'd just be smart to lock it up. Housemarque has made games for other systems in the past and Clap Hanz now has too (so has Bluepoint in the past). 

Insomniac stabbed them in the back when they made Sunset Overdrive so Sony had to make sure that never happened again!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

acebca8e-1dc5-4456-a5ed-353c95f61372.jpg
VARIETY.COM

Playground Games, the indie British game developer best known for its work on the Forza games, was acquired by Microsoft.

luigi-holding-coins-16-9-white.jpg
WWW.MCVUK.COM

Luigi’s Mansion 3 sold 7.83m copies sold globally at last count | MCV/DEVELOP

And if there's a guarantee that a dev will always make games for you... ask Ready At Dawn, Supermassive, and Ninja Theory who they're making games for right now.