Apple expected to move Macs to ARM at upcoming WWDC

So they announced that the Mac is going to ARM, and talked about the reasons that they're making the transition, but no specifics in any real way. I have to say, it would be quite impressive if Rosetta 2 works as well as they claim, and I'm very impressed they got Adobe on board so quickly. Adobe has a history of dragging their feet, so hopefully it is easy for devs to move over.

We did get confirmation that Apple isn't abandoning Intel anytime soon, so it'll be very interesting to see how this transition progresses. 

I can understand why they didn't make a big deal about making a change because they're scared of Anti-trust regulators, but this is huge news. I find it kind of surprising that it's only web browsers and email so far, but it's still a huge step.

Now I'd like to see them do Maps and photos.

Some of the iOS features fall into the "I'm so glad they finally got around to stealing that" category. The App Library is great on Android, because it really is handy on android phones to have an app installed, but keep it more or less buried in the drawer unless really needed. Widgets on the home screen and re sizable icons are also quite nice.

Scribble is very much a Windows XP for Tables feature, and it was cool back then, and it's cool now to have on hardware that is actually worthwhile.

57 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Fuck. They talked about iPad to MacOS, but not the other way around. I want the Apple Pro apps on iPad Pro. 

Sure would be interesting to see that happen. I have to imagine there are still quite a lot of Mac specific things that don't translate easily. File management is a big one, but it would be interesting. Adobe has spent a long time working on Photoshop for the iPad, and it's nowhere near feature parity. I don't expect them do, but it sure seems like they could take the Mac version and throw it on an iPad.

30 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Sure would be interesting to see that happen. I have to imagine there are still quite a lot of Mac specific things that don't translate easily. File management is a big one, but it would be interesting. Adobe has spent a long time working on Photoshop for the iPad, and it's nowhere near feature parity. I don't expect them do, but it sure seems like they could take the Mac version and throw it on an iPad.

What’s hilarious is all the MacOS apps they showed running on ARM were using the current iPad Pro A12Z SoC. Set the price and bring the apps over to iPad. 

Also, I’m really surprised they didn’t mention any updates to the iPad Files app. I can’t imagine it’s not being improved upon for iPadOS 14. 

17 hours ago, Jason said:

Talk about Windows was conspicuously absent, especially given that they demoed Parallels and Linux. Hopefully there's something usable on that front by the time the last Intel Mac ships. 

I wouldn't expect much evolution on that front. I guess once we get more info on all this we'll know for sure, but I would be surprised if we ever see Boot Camp working on ARM Macs, at least unless we see Windows for ARM become a real thing and not just an experiment dedicated to a couple limited devices.

Without going too far down that rabbit hole, it does make me wonder if we'll see Qualcomm and Microsoft push their ARM initiative harder. They've had a real, working device out in the wild for 7 months, theoretically that gives them a head start of sorts. Of course, Microsoft doesn't have the same control over their ecosystem that Apple has over theirs, nor do they have the same profit incentive. Still, it makes me wonder if it's possible for Microsoft to ride Apple's coattails here. Maybe some of Adobe's work on their MacOS ARM versions of Creative Cloud will translate to an ARM Windows version. Apple is contributing to open source projects like Electron that all sorts of apps use. It would be interesting if Apple's work to port everything to ARM is the thing that makes Windows on ARM viable and useful.

All that of course depends on how well any MacOS ARM optimizations translate to Windows, and how much custom work is done to take advantage of unique features of Apple's silicon. It could well be that very little of it translates.

It will be very interesting to see how this affects Mac Gaming. Especially with native support for iOS games, it sure seems to me that this is the thing that permanently bifurcates PC and Mac gaming. Right now, x86 Mac games are this small little side project for PC devs. With ARM Macs, Mac Games will be part and parcel of the much larger, more profitable, iOS gaming scene. It's there that I would really expect that what "full games" make it over to iPad.

Right now you can get the full version of Civ, CS:GO, Dota, and a bunch of other random things on the Mac. If the next versions (or updates to the current versions) support ARM Macs, I don't see why you couldn't port those to work on high end iPads. Given that the iPad market is larger than the Mac market, and now that iPads support both controllers and KB+M, it sure seems like a good idea for game developers.

Somehow seeing a full versions of games on iPads feels much more likely than full versions of Pro apps.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I wouldn't expect much evolution on that front. I guess once we get more info on all this we'll know for sure, but I would be surprised if we ever see Boot Camp working on ARM Macs, at least unless we see Windows for ARM become a real thing and not just an experiment dedicated to a couple limited devices.

Work won't let us do Boot camp anyhow. I just need usable Parallels/VMWare performance.

52 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Right now you can get the full version of Civ, CS:GO, Dota, and a bunch of other random things on the Mac.

For Civ specifically, they alread have Civ VI on the iPad. So that one at least seems pretty likely to make the jump to ARM, and not just as running the iPad version on ARM Macs.

On 6/10/2020 at 8:40 PM, Jose said:

Does anybody here code with Python for a living? About to do a data science bootcamp and apparently Macs are a MUST. I made it 34 years without having to buy an Apple product!

Python has (somewhat begrudgingly) been my primary language for the past 4 years.

Macs are absolutely *not* a must to program in Python and if data science and ML libraries for Python skew any direction, it's slightly toward Linux.

But you'll almost surely be fine using a Mac for python programming anyway.

Also: use Pycharm.

• 4 weeks later...