THE MEG - Official Reaction thread

This was a stupid movie and I enjoyed it because of that. My 10 year old daughter enjoyed/laughed at it too. Fun times.

I always hear/read that a lot of summer popcorn movies are made for the China market but this one was the most transparent example of that.

7 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

In what way?

Chinese female co-Star and other significant characters

Movie takes place off the coast of China

Minimal and simple dialogue (easy to translate)

Climax takes place on a crowded China beach

Only non-white person to die is Japanese. 

I should clarify thst that I have no personal issue with any of these. Putting them all together as a whole though clearly shows that they wanted this movie to be extra popular in that market. 

As I’m typing up this post I did a google search to back up these thoughts and found this. 

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/2159378/giant-shark-film-meg-engineered-china-unexpected

The lurid monster shark film is a presentation of Warner Bros Pictures and China's Gravity Pictures, and was tailored to Chinese audiences.”

6 hours ago, Emblazon said:

The book, which the only aspect of the plot that made it into the movie was character names (even their backstories are different), takes place off the coast of California. 

started reading it and I'm only about a quarter of the way, Jonas is just now seeing the Meg, but it's definitely quite different from the movie. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. 

21 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

started reading it and I'm only about a quarter of the way, Jonas is just now seeing the Meg, but it's definitely quite different from the movie. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. 

It's my favorite novel of all time. I'm not going to spoil it, but the ending is the best part, and they royally shit the bed in the movie. 

Which version of the book do you have? Alten released a revised version a few years ago that completely altered the scene with Phillipe that I didn't care for (the change), but I Sontag believe much else changed. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

@Emblazon what were the scenes from the book that you were hoping would be in the movie? 

Nope. 

Spoiler

I very much wanted Jonas to cut that bitch's heart out. Best fucking climax ever. His abyss glider runs out of fuel, leaving only the short burst thruster. The Meg is swimming up at him about to chomp down on his sub, he enables the thruster to shoot straight down the throat of the shark. Realizing he's not dead, he takes out a pony bottle, grabs his large fossilized meg tooth (that he always carries on him), carves his way to the heart chamber, and slices the heart right out. But still has to escape, with limited air, as the shark is sinking into the depths.

And the Meg was supposed to be pregnant, and birth Angel, the antagonist moving forward. 

They can easily retcon the second point, though. 

10 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

That spoiler was the definition of over-the-top.

How so? It was a last gasp effort, after he had already given up. He just wanted to make the shark choke--but once there, it's like, "ok, what can I do now?"

As opposed to the crap that happens in the movie? Slice the underside of the shark with the sub, fly out of the submersible, perform a perfect pirouette and stab the shark in the eye and watch as hundreds of other sharks magically appear???

It's like the difference between the endings of the book and movie for The Martian--the ending in the movie was a JOKE that was made in the book, was also statistically impossible, and insulting to astronauts. The book ending was plausible and fantastic. 

Same situation with the Meg, only since they completely changed the character of Jonas, he doesn't carry a fossilized meg tooth, and probably has zero knowledge of the anatomy of a megalodon. 

I still find it absolutely preposterous that loud noises outside the sub, and subsequent sub implosion automatically equals a megalodon, sight unseen. That deduction takes stupid to a whole new level. 

Book intro synopsis:

Spoiler

In the book, Jonas Taylor is a hotshot Navy submersible pilot, down in the trench on his third dive in less than a week. He sees a large white triangular head rising towards his sub, he blows the ballast, which causes the sub to surface too fast, and he's the only survivor (two scientists die). His CO blames him for their deaths, gets the ship doctor to diagnose him with psychosis of the deep, and gets him dishonorably discharged. 

As a fuck you to them, Jonas gets a doctorate in paleobiology, and dedicates his entire life to proving how megalodons could still be alive today. 

He's then offered the opportunity to go down again, to help a friend (no one is trapped), and see if he was right all along. 

Shit gets real.