THE MEG - Official Reaction thread

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-meg-early-buzz/

I'm really surprised people are really enjoying the early screenings! I just have to remember to turn my brain off at the theater and tell myself it's not the book. 

We'll be seeing it in IMAX 3D opening weekend. 

I'm thinking somewhere in the 40% range on RT, and hoping for a Jurassic World type reception. 

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

not sure where you are getting that, I've seen mid 30s

Now it's tracking at $40+ for the weekend, with $16.5 for Friday. I have a feeling that number is only going to go up. 

The other estimate was based on other films that earned $4 million on Thursday night premieres. 

22 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Fun movie, don't fooled by the campiness of the trailer, it's definitely more 'thriller' in the Deep Blue Sea style. Is it great? No, but it was pretty dang fun and I would definitely watch it again...and since I have the amc movie card there is a chance I'll do just that. 

Then I may give it go. I kinda wanted to see this and, but definitely want to see Black Klansman. 

39 minutes ago, johnny said:

I’d bet my entire savings emblazon will love this. Whenever he gets hyped for something it always delivers for him :P 

That's not true at all. The more I watch Ready Player One, the less I like it, and it absolutely pales in comparison to the book. 

And I've been waiting for this movie for over TWENTY YEARS. 

Mind you, I have no misconceptions that this will be the book, I just want to enjoy the movie. I only care that two of the plot points happen from the book. If they happen, I'm golden. 

This series has 6 full novels, a prequel novella, and a crossover from another one of his series. 

25 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

That's not true at all. The more I watch Ready Player One, the less I like it, and it absolutely pales in comparison to the book. 

And I've been waiting for this movie for over TWENTY YEARS. 

Mind you, I have no misconceptions that this will be the book, I just want to enjoy the movie. I only care that two of the plot points happen from the book. If they happen, I'm golden. 

This series has 6 full novels, a prequel novella, and a crossover from another one of his series. 

Incorrect opinion is incorrect. Ready Player One the movie is vastly superior to the book. 

Watched this today at the ADH.

The comedy bits were hit or miss , mostly miss for me. The shark CGI wasnt bad and the under water ship CGI was better then expected.The plot was handled well,less is more when it comes to the more "sciency" aspect. The gore for a PG13 was heavy, I assumed the film was an R just for that alone.

3/5 stars

2 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Definitely didn't love the movie. I despise needless changes from the source material, especially when those changes would cost more money. 

It was fun, I enjoyed it, but it was not very good. 

Even though I've owned the book forever, I never got around to reading it, will likely start it soon to see how they compare. But the weather is crappy here so I ended up seeing it again today, breaking in the AMC A-list pass. 

5 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Even though I've owned the book forever, I never got around to reading it, will likely start it soon to see how they compare. But the weather is crappy here so I ended up seeing it again today, breaking in the AMC A-list pass. 

You should get on that. Vostok is fucking AMAZING. So you have to read the first 4 Meg books, The Loch, then read Vostok.