America to launch humans to the ISS tomorrow for the first time in almost a decade

I wish that I could feel a greater "emotional resonance" with this, but I just don't.

I'm really impressed with the recovery technology but everything else feels smarmy.  I am well aware that private contractors built and profited from the original space program, but this feels so very different.  It was never "The Mercury Program - Presented By The McDonnell Aircraft and Chrysler Corporations", but seeing Space-X plastered all over this event just rubs me the wrong way entirely.

It's just so inextricably tied to Musk and his ego - that's the problem for me that I'm just not able to get past.

38 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I wish that I could feel a greater "emotional resonance" with this, but I just don't.

I'm really impressed with the recovery technology but everything else feels smarmy.  I am well aware that private contractors built and profited from the original space program, but this feels so very different.  It was never "The Mercury Program - Presented By The McDonnell Aircraft and Chrysler Corporations", but seeing Space-X plastered all over this event just rubs me the wrong way entirely.

It's just so inextricably tied to Musk and his ego - that's the problem for me that I'm just not able to get past.

They were able to do it for nearly half the price and ahead of Boeing.  It may be another year before Boeing launches a crew to the ISS.

35 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

In fairness ULA, Blue Origin, and Rocket Lab do the same thing with their launches, just not as well. The much bigger issue is why are traditional American defense and space contractors so bad at innovating whether it be under NASA or DoD? SLS was supposed to be cheap and easy using Shuttle parts, it is neither. Despite backing from the right people in Congress. Until that's fixed we're stuck with the egos. 

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I understand this view and Musk lately has pissed me off. However this is bigger than Musk. We are in the middle of a fundamental change regarding the costs to get the LEO. This is opening up more satellites, space telescopes, space habitats, and missions to the ISS, Moon, and Mars on the cheap. It's a barrier that we should all celebrate falling. 

The thing that rubs me the wrong way about it all is how nationalistic it is. I get it, our first launch in a decade. But still, space is where I would hope we eventually unite as a planet.

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

The thing that rubs me the wrong way about it all is how nationalistic it is. I get it, our first launch in a decade. But still, space is where I would hope we eventually unite as a planet.

The way I look at is we can have a national pride for finally being here again, doing these launches. Yet it can still be something that we do to foster a coalition of nations in venturing into the unknown. 

also I hate Musk as a person and businessman. But his drive to push technology and human endeavors is something not enough super rich people do. 

2 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

In fairness ULA, Blue Origin, and Rocket Lab do the same thing with their launches, just not as well. The much bigger issue is why are traditional American defense and space contractors so bad at innovating whether it be under NASA or DoD? SLS was supposed to be cheap and easy using Shuttle parts, it is neither. Despite backing from the right people in Congress. Until that's fixed we're stuck with the egos. 

SLS being cheap is the first i've heard of, its fucking massive, because its designed to go much much further than anything else.

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

SLS being cheap is the first i've heard of, its fucking massive, because its designed to go much much further than anything else.

It uses solid boosters based off the Space Shuttle, same engines as the Space Shuttle, and the main stage tank was built of the Shuttle tank.

4 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

It uses solid boosters based off the Space Shuttle, same engines as the Space Shuttle, and the main stage tank was built of the Shuttle tank.

Yet it will still cost over $1 billion for every launch.  Plus the $30 billion it took to develop the rocket from leftover Shuttle parts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/5/31/21271269/spacex-docking-iss-crew-dragon-nasa-success

The Crew Dragon’s docking showcased one of the biggest features of SpaceX’s capsule: its automated docking system. The vehicle is designed to autonomously approach the ISS and latch on to a standardized docking port, without any input from its human passengers. SpaceX successfully showcased this ability last year when the company sent a test version of the Crew Dragon to the space station without a crew on board. But this time, the company needed to prove that the Crew Dragon could deliver when it had its most precious cargo on board.

I like how Walmart Wolverine was one of the VIPs at Mission Control to ask questions to Bob and Doug.  lol

EDIT: Doug smashed his head when he came into the ISS, he had to check several times if he was bleeding.  Looks like he is ok though.

46 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I like how Walmart Wolverine was one of the VIPs at Mission Control to ask questions to Bob and Doug.  lol

EDIT: Doug smashed his head when he came into the ISS, he had to check several times if he was bleeding.  Looks like he is ok though.

Bob and Doug: absolute hose-heads. 

On 5/30/2020 at 2:19 PM, Jwheel86 said:

I think a lack of competition is possibly the biggest culprit. Defense and space have become increasingly consolidated with even less competition for the really big projects. I think it's fair for people to question the uniqueness of Space X's innovations, but I would argue their greatest accomplishment has been introducing real competition to a sector dominated by a few complacent companies that had no need for innovation.

Anyways, I'm glad to see Space X continue to succeed. Musk is a grating presence, but Space X has really made tremendous progress in a short time.

Booster returns to the Cape:

EZiQ5PrUwAAKY3P?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Although NASA is currently choosing to only use new boosters for their manned missions, SpaceX is free to reuse this booster for commercial missions or there own Starlink missions.  

There is another SpaceX launch tomorrow.  SpaceX will launch 60 Starlink Satellites on Wednesday, using a booster that has flown 4 times previously. 

4 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Who cares? Next time they do this, there won’t even be an Earth to return to 

Steady now, Earth has seen a lot of Hell over the years, and nothing has stopped it yet. Trying times, yes. But for better or for worse, the Human race and its poor parent planet will linger on.

• 1 month later...

After more than 2 months in orbit, Dragon Capsule Endeavour will return to earth on Sunday, splashing down off the coast of Florida.  Depending on weather, NASA will decide on whether to have the capsule land in the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic.   

This mission will mark the second longest stay for a manned American vessel in Space.  Only the Apollo capsule that flew to Skylab for the Skylab 4 mission was in orbit longer.  The  next Dragon mission in September will likely break that record, however.   Soyuz capsules regularly stay in space (attached to the ISS) for approximately 6 months at a time.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/commercialcrew/2020/07/30/nasa-and-spacex-remain-go-for-splashdown/

5 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Who cares, actual America just launched a rover to Mars with a friggin helicopter.

:flag:

It was interesting how they tested the helicopter/drone on Earth.  They had to put inside a giant vacuum chamber, pump the pressure down to Mars pressure (about 1% of Earths) and also attach a wire to it to simulate the much lower gravity on Red Planet.  It worked.  The drone will be able to fly for a few minutes at a time, capturing images of the surrounding terrain.  Of note, it's processor is a Snapdragon (like what is in Android phones nowadays), making it many times more powerful than the Rover's own processor, and likely the most powerful computer ever sent beyond Earth orbit. 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Its also using the first US produced plutonium-238 for its power source in over 30 years, which will be continued for other deep space and lunar power production as well as nuclear powered propulsion.

We stopped producing plutonium? I assume we still produce Uranium?

38 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

We stopped producing plutonium? I assume we still produce Uranium?

It was basically all nuclear weapons production which ended during arms reduction treaties in the 80s, NASA had been using what was left and eventually even had to buy some off the Russians, who had also stopped producing and were running out.

On 6/2/2020 at 5:09 PM, mclumber1 said:

Booster returns to the Cape:

EZiQ5PrUwAAKY3P?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Although NASA is currently choosing to only use new boosters for their manned missions, SpaceX is free to reuse this booster for commercial missions or there own Starlink missions.  

There is another SpaceX launch tomorrow.  SpaceX will launch 60 Starlink Satellites on Wednesday, using a booster that has flown 4 times previously. 

The most interesting thing in all of this is they reused that very booster within 50 days to launch a Korean satellite.