Warhammer 40K - The New Edition to release on July 25, pre-orders start July 11

On 5/23/2020 at 4:30 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Every now and again I'm tempted to jump into 40K / Warhammer... then I take a look at my wallet and let it ride.

From what I observed, the best way to get into the Warhammer games in a way that doesn't lead to financial destitution is probably through the small unit, skirmish-based offshots of Kill Team (40K) and Warcry (Age of Sigmar).  

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The WH40K is practically twisting itself in knots guessing the price (which WILL be higher than the Dark Imperium box set for 8th edition)

If it’s more minis and the rules, $200 doesn’t seem unreasonable. Who knows. Other mini games that have been popular recently (Legion, Crisis Protocol) don’t come close to fucking with Games Workshop so they can do whatever the market will bear. 

On 5/23/2020 at 9:30 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Every now and again I'm tempted to jump into 40K / Warhammer... then I take a look at my wallet and let it ride.

I live in this world. I used to really enjoy making the models when I was 10-11 and used to play against a few of my friends, though never in much depth. I could fully get into the game as I do like strategy and I feel like I'd enjoy tabletop gaming (though I haven't really got into that side of things) but I lack the time to invest in it properly. 

Really, I just need a video game version, or something as close to, that I can enjoy. Hell, if anyone can recommend something for me that's available on PS4, I'll give it a go. 

I think I’m mainly interested in how 9th ed approaches smaller point value armies. I have too much shit to paint to get into a 2000 point thing on the regular and I dunno if I wanna jump into Kill Team now if 9th ed makes smaller skirmishes viable. We’ll see!

8 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

That sounds about right!

Anything less than $200 would be absolutely shocking and bordering on robbery!

Even at $250, the box contents would be a good value on the GW scale... but I suspect they’d get fewer people like me (not new to mini gaming / painting, but no investment in GW plastic) to bite. Hard to tell from their press if I’m actually the target for this box specifically even if it seems like I’m someone they’re targeting with 9th edition generally.

It’ll be interesting to see how this shakes out and is received.

13 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Even at $250, the box contents would be a good value on the GW scale... but I suspect they’d get fewer people like me (not new to mini gaming / painting, but no investment in GW plastic) to bite. Hard to tell from their press if I’m actually the target for this box specifically even if it seems like I’m someone they’re targeting with 9th edition generally.

It’ll be interesting to see how this shakes out and is received.

GW had made it pretty clear that this is NOT a "starter" box targeted at new players to the hobby, but rather existing players who want to hit the ground running with the "New Edition" or at the very least, those who are familiar with the hobby but not necessarily their products.

3 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

GW had made it pretty clear that this is NOT a "starter" box targeted at new players, but rather existing players who want to hit the ground running with the "New Edition".

Yeah, without some of the kit you need, that seems pretty clear. Throwing Ultramarines in that box is an interesting choice though since they’re well represented already.

I’m on a list with a local game shop to get this, though I dunno how likely it is they’ll be able to fulfill all their preorders. If it’s more than $225 I’ll likely punt.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, without some of the kit you need, that seems pretty clear. Throwing Ultramarines in that box is an interesting choice though since they’re well represented already.

I’m on a list with a local game shop to get this, though I dunno how likely it is they’ll be able to fulfill all their preorders. If it’s more than $225 I’ll likely punt.

GW said that at the very least they will be able to fulfill all the pre-orders, but no guarantees beyond that.

On 7/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, Kal-El814 said:

ofdd3u.gif

Lol Because GW can be volitale (stuff goes OOP without notice) I have to pivot from anime figures. Just ordered a solar auxilia bundle and the rule books for 30k Mechanicum and Solar Aux. 606 dollars gone in an instant. Technically a better buy then the xenoblade chronicles 2 pvcs I was eyeing. Though I still want those. Guess I better get to selling at work. Solar Auxilia first then I am going into Mechanicum.

On 7/6/2020 at 3:53 PM, Zaku3 said:

Covid is gonna ruin this for me. All of my friends are taking it seriously so I have no idea when I can get a game in.

I’ll likely end up a few hundo in the hole and I’ve never played any GW game or touched their plastic before lel.

14 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’ll likely end up a few hundo in the hole and I’ve never played any GW game or touched their plastic before lel.

Only if you do what I do and buy a whole army at a time. Which is probably I haven't painted anything.

Word around Boston is non-GW stores are capped at 50 Indomitus boxes. The place holding for me confirmed my order but asked if people on the BCC would be willing to sell the Space Marine models since they have more requests than they will boxes. 

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Word around Boston is non-GW stores are capped at 50 Indomitus boxes. The place holding for me confirmed my order but asked if people on the BCC would be willing to sell the Space Marine models since they have more requests than they will boxes. 

Do you prefer manly genetically modified space knights or WFB Tomb Kings in space?

I get my Solar Auxilia today.