https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2496446/scream-5-is-officially-bringing-back-one-of-the-original-cast-members

Now word’s come in that David Arquette will be back for Scream 5, reprising the role of Dewey Riley, who appeared in all four prior Scream movies. Here’s what Arquette had to say about his return to the Scream franchise (via THR):

I am thrilled to be playing Dewey again and to reunite with my Scream family, old and new. Scream has been such a big part of my life, and for both the fans and myself, I look forward to honoring Wes Craven’s legacy.

David Arquette is the first Scream veteran to be recruited for Scream 5, which is described as a “relaunch” being made by Spyglass Media Group. Earlier this month, Neve Campbell, who played Sidney Prescott in the previous Scream movies, said she’s had “conversations” about appearing in Scream 5, but for right now, it remains to be seen if she’ll actually be brought aboard. Matthew Lillard has also expressed interest in being brought back, and other actors who’ve had starring roles in the Scream franchise include Courtney Cox and Jamie Kennedy.

At the very least, David Arquette’s inclusion in Scream 5 indicates to fans of the horror film series that there will be ties to first four movies, as opposed to wiping the board clean with a straightforward reboot (which we already got with the Scream TV series). No plot details for Scream 5 have been revealed yet, other than it will almost certainly involve someone disguised as Ghostface killing people left and right.

I'm down with another Scream so long as ...

• Hayden Panettiere's character isn't dead & returns!
  • Sid is revealed to be the killer to put this all to rest OR Gail in hopes of attempting to resurrect her career as a journalist/writer
  • Matthew Lillard rumors hold true and somehow he returns!

I swear I'm not smoking crazy shit, just a few pipe dreams I have!

One theory I saw broke it down as this:

• Scream was about the tropes of horror
  • Scream 2 was the tropes of horror sequels
  • Scream 3 was about the tropes of trilogies
  • Scream 4 was the ultra-meta modern self-referential swerve take
  • Scream 5 should be about how IT'S the true sequel after the original

:lol:

9 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I'm down with another Scream so long as ...

• Hayden Panettiere's character isn't dead & returns!
  • Sid is revealed to be the killer to put this all to rest OR Gail in hopes of attempting to resurrect her career as a journalist/writer
  • Matthew Lillard rumors hold true and somehow he returns!

I swear I'm not smoking crazy shit, just a few pipe dreams I have!

One theory I saw broke it down as this:

• Scream was about the tropes of horror
  • Scream 2 was the tropes of horror sequels
  • Scream 3 was about the tropes of trilogies
  • Scream 4 was the ultra-meta modern self-referential swerve take
  • Scream 5 should be about how IT'S the true sequel after the original

:lol:

Scream 5 should be about tropes of reboots.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

This one is getting pretty good reviews from general critics, but even more importantly, horror critics are absolutely loving this.

I recently binged the whole series, after only seeing the first 2. I was surprised by how good the fourth movie is, maybe the best of the sequels to be honest. I'm very hopeful that this newest entry will still have plenty of elements that keep it fresh.

I've been a fan since 1996 & always was a steadfast fan of the 3rd, the 4th took multiple watches to finally fully appreciate & enjoy and now I hold it up alongside the previous trio. Super stoked for the 5th entry & have been, seeing all the praise & positive buzz it's receiving is only more exciting. I'll be seeing it twice this weekend and can't wait!

The 2nd movie is still my fav of the series, followed by 1, 4 and then the third. Funny enough, I was turned onto the series by a kid I use to babysit for, while babysitting them. He wasn’t feeling comfortable looking after younger bros/sis and so I was there. (really nice family) Don’t worry, I heard his mom gave him permission to watch before they left for date night. I’m looking forward to the new one, and I already have an idea who the killer(s) is/are but won’t say. Have to wait for streaming/disc in order to watch this. All my theatres are closed for at another like 2 weeks and probably longer knowing the Ford government

oh and the final trailer was released a few days ago too

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Well I would argue against you about the 3rd film (yet to see 5) but is a great series 

3 is fine, I wouldn’t call it bad. But it’s a Weinstein movie that had the gall to take shots at Harvey Weinstein, so that’s made it age well in 2022.

Watched Scream last night. It was a fun ride even if though I'm not the biggest scream fan.

Skeeter Ulrich

still looked pretty good for his age.  I can usually deal with all the dumb overlooked stuff in horror movies, but the one thing that bugged me was the end when

Gail gets shot in the stomach and Sidney gets stabbed, then at the end they are all just hanging out outside the house slowly getting in ambulances

. It was like they forgot she was shot. 

3 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

They had to change the tagline of this movie to "Brand New Movie", because apparently the title was confusing people were mixing it up with the first movie. I hope they just ditch this nonsense and call the next one Scream 6. Embrace the legacy.

No way. They’ve gotta commit to the bit! Scream Kills. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

They had to change the tagline of this movie to "Brand New Movie", because apparently the title was confusing people were mixing it up with the first movie. I hope they just ditch this nonsense and call the next one Scream 6. Embrace the legacy.

That would be funny if someone, unknowingly, paid a rental price to stream the original movie.