Indie Games Discussion and Recommendations

That might have been the best E3 presentation I’ve seen in years.  Not merely for the games on display, but in the slick pacing and way they presented them.  Like a Nintendo E3 video presentation before they called them directs.  And it made me more interested in almost all of them.

This is a must watch.  It deserves its own thread, so I’ll make one.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Indie games discussion and recommendations, update: Guerrilla Collective 2021 - trailers for all 70+ games shown posted by PC Gamer
  • 1 month later...
capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1628782461
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Immigration Enforcement Case #112: You are under arrest. Unless your friends can cross a broken America, retrieve your identifying documents and stay out of trouble... this is the end of the American dream for you.

In an alternative broken America, where capitalism and political greed have taken center stage, your friend has gone missing. Snatched during a protest, Eduardo Suarez has been seized by the authorities, and now sits ready for processing in the Miami gulag.

Not Tonight 2 is an American document-checking road trip, fusing a time-pressure RPG with a politically charged, dark comedy where every decision matters. Will Eduardo's friends Malik, Kevin and Mari manage to locate and deliver his documents to Miami in time, or is this the end of the American dream?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Indie games discussion and recommendations, update: Not Tonight 2 - a politically-charged, dark comedy road trip across a broken USA
  • 2 weeks later...

Old release, but I wanted to pop in here and say how much I'm enjoying Bad North.

Was an Epic giveaway a while back, highly recommend trying it out.  Rogue-like, tower defense, RTS that works wonderfully with a controller.  You can redo encounters, which is how I'm palying it.  Turns it into a relaxing puzzle-like experience of sorts.

• 2 weeks later...
cdBy2yRciqBsE52gwTLtZb98ovZsz9gmiCk2TAtZ
OPENCRITIC.COM

SkateBIRD is rated 'Weak' after being reviewed by 11 critics, with an overall average score of 60. It's ranked in the bottom 18% of games and recommended by 9% of critics.

Said this much after trying the demo, but I was hoping they could turn it around.  Apparently not.

A skateboarding game that controls like crap is bad.

On 8/12/2020 at 10:06 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Demo now available on Steam:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1632496390
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Inscryption is an inky black card-based odyssey that blends the deckbuilding roguelike, escape-room style puzzles, and psychological horror into a blood-laced smoothie. Darker still are the secrets inscrybed upon the cards...

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Indie games discussion and recommendations, update: Inscryption (card-based horror title from Pony Island developer) to release on October 19, demo now available on Steam
capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1631170818
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Swing through the trees, spin sticky webs, and make friends with bugs! Be the adorable spider you've always wanted to be.

This released earlier this month. I played the demo a while back and it was pretty fun. It was quite satisfying swinging around making webs, catching flies, finding things, dancing with moths, riding on a skateboard... regular spider stuff. Also, 97% recommended on Steam isn't too bad. 

Just now, Raggit said:
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Swing through the trees, spin sticky webs, and make friends with bugs! Be the adorable spider you've always wanted to be.

This released earlier this month. I played the demo a while back and it was pretty fun. It was quite satisfying swinging around making webs, catching flies, finding things, dancing with moths, riding on a skateboard... regular spider stuff. Also, 97% recommended on Steam isn't too bad.  I'm definitely going to pick this up. 

8 hours ago, Raggit said:
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

This released earlier this month. I played the demo a while back and it was pretty fun. It was quite satisfying swinging around making webs, catching flies, finding things, dancing with moths, riding on a skateboard... regular spider stuff. Also, 97% recommended on Steam isn't too bad. 

So not a game for @SaysWho??

• 3 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Inscryption

Platforms:

• PC (Oct 19, 2021)

Developer: Daniel Mullins Games
Publisher: Devolver Digital

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 84 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

Gaming Nexus - 10 / 10

Go into Inscryption as unspoiled as possible, and trust in the game. You will find a deeply enjoyable card game, wrapped in a series of dark mysteries, wrapped in…well…other stuff. Part CCG game, part escape room puzzle game, and part bonkers gonzo whirlybird lunacy, Inscryption is one of the best games of the year. They should charge more for a game this good.

MonsterVine - 5 / 5

Inscryption is one of the most mesmerizingly unnerving games I’ve ever played. A constant, unsettling experience that never lets up and dares you to make sense of it.

Prima Games - 9.5 / 10

Everything Inscryption does culminates into a gruesome and harrowing tale told through a simple but rewarding card game. Creator Daniel Mullins had a clear and concise concept for this game executed on the highest level.

COGconnected - 90 / 100

All in all, Inscryption is a great–and spooky–game that is constantly expanding and re-inventing itself, and I recommend it to anyone who loves horror. As long as you approach it with an open mind, a strong stomach, and the willingness to keep trying, you should have a great time with this title. Just remember: if you think the game is over in the first few hours, it’s time to hit the New Game button and see what you’ve unlocked.

Gamer Escape - 9 / 10

Inscryption is an amazingly well-put-together piece of work. The atmosphere presented…well, I’ve already doted on it multiple times. And I’ll do so again: it’s unsettling, occasionally oppressive, and always keeps the player on their toes. It could easily carry the work on its own, but luckily the card game mechanics are solid and sound as well. It’s easy to pick up, but with a ton of variables to allow customization and multiple viable approaches to the challenges provided.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Inscryption manages to combine an expertly-crafted card game, a nail-biting tale of horror and enjoyable escape room adventures into another genre-defying gem and easily one of the year's best games.

Hey Poor Player - 4.5 / 5

Inscryption is refreshingly unique. With all the roguelike deckbuilders popping up these days, they can all start to blend together. Inscryption manages to stand out from the crowd in all the best ways. Complex card strategies blend with escape room puzzles far better than should be possible. And the whole package is wrapped in such wonderfully creepy trappings that it’s perfect for the Halloween season. Just remember: don’t ever assume you’ve reached the end.

Niche Gamer - 9 / 10

I love Inscryption even more because I expected something entirely different. It does everything so well, and I’m itching to get back to playing already. This deck-building psychological horror is more than worth your time, and one hell of a great game.

Softpedia - 9 / 10

I would like to see more use for the sacrifice mechanic and some extra ways to cheat the rules. But self-aware creatures, cards that immortalize failed runs, and general creepiness add a lot to the core concepts. Inscryption has all the necessary ingredients to set a new standard of quality for its genre and keep fans engaged for tens of hours.

WayTooManyGames - 9 / 10

Inscryption is an utterly demented piece of software in the best of ways. I don’t remember the last time I played a game that made me go “what the hell am I looking at” with such frequency and intensity.

cublikefoot - 9 / 10

Inscryption is easily one of the best card battlers I have ever played, with tons of gameplay layers, cool escape-room style puzzles, and a creepy story tying it all together.

CGMagazine - 8 / 10

Inscryption is a great creepy experience to get your skin crawling with some thought provoking depth in its gameplay.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

‎Fun, addictive and mysterious. It superbly mixes concepts from card games with roguelike and escape rooms. A continuous surprise that sneaks among the most interesting independent games of the year.‎

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

A work of devilish cleverness that's both a mockery and celebration of collectible cards games and an increasingly disturbing horror story about the cost of victory.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5 stars

On top of all of that, Inscryption’s arrival in mid-October makes for a perfect Halloween game. What seems most vital for the game's success will be to casually get it to people who won’t know what to expect, like fans of deckbuilders just looking for another to add to their pile. Still, even if players go into Inscryption expecting the unexpected, there’s entertaining depth to its mechanics and narrative, a form of storytelling that could only exist in a video game.

Slant Magazine - 4 / 5 stars

It’s true that the game’s card-based randomness may allow some players to stumble through boss encounters without properly solving them. But what is the proper way to come at most things is a social construct. Allowing players to find their own, occasionally lucky, way through the game is a brilliant way to demonstrate Inscryption’s cards-as-life theme. There’s no one right way to live, and despite all your preparation, sometimes you may draw an unlucky hand.

TechRaptor - 8 / 10

While the more complex story doesn't completely gel, Inscryption has plenty of gripping CCG gameplay and unsettling horror setpieces to keep your attention.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8 / 10

Inscryption turned out to be a small surprise, an indie title that breaks the rules of card games offering players something more elaborate and exciting, by adding in a mixture of roguelite, puzzle and horror. A pity that the game has no voiceover: it would have made its particular setting feel even more alive.

Cultured Vultures - 7.5 / 10

Though uneven in its middle section, Inscryption is a clever and refreshing horror-adventure card game.

Destructoid - 7.5 / 10

With that said, I did enjoy Inscryption. Part of me is tempted to dive back in to see if I can scrape any more secrets out of its cracks. Really, that’s where it excels: not the misdirection, but the hidden crawlspaces where it hides all the bodies. At its best, it feels like you’re actually uncovering a deeper plot. At its worst, it feels like you’re watching a magician pull handkerchiefs out of their sleeve. It’s cool, I guess, but you know they’re just screwing with you.

PC Invasion - 7.5 / 10

Inscryption's twists and turns are hit-or-miss, but the game's oddities are worth experiencing for yourself.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - RPS Bestest Bests

A sinister and excellently crafted card game with a darkly comic underbelly

The A.V. Club - Unscored

As a love letter to card games, it’s cunningly crafted, and full of fascinating twists. As a pool of secrets, it’s deep enough to drown in. As a hybrid of the two, it’s one of the best games of 2021.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Indie games discussion and recommendations, update: Inscryption (card-based horror title from Pony Island developer) reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 2 weeks later...
inscryption-opossum.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Inscryption creator Daniel Mullins tells us about his inspirations to create the spooky card battler, and how he doesn't quite consider it a horror game.

Daniel Mullins says he's not sure that "horror" is the most accurate way to describe his gruesome new card battler Inscryption. He immediately follows this up by telling me a friend of his had nightmares because of the menacing figure you play cards against, so yeah, maybe it's a bit horror-like. But I kind of understand his point.

At the start, Inscryption is like a hostage situation, where you're forced to play a card-based roguelike against a sinister games master. Then, just as you start getting the hang of things, the game evolves into something way more complex. If you've played Mullins' other games you'll know his work can go to some weird, meta places. I won't say more above the cut, because I'd hate to spoil it. But for those of you who've already played, read on for more detail on how Mullins created an excellently unsettling world.

• 3 months later...

Game Information

Game Title: OlliOlli World

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Feb 8, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 8, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Feb 8, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 8, 2022)
  • Nintendo Switch (Feb 8, 2022)
  • PC (Feb 8, 2022)

Developer: roll7
Publisher: Private Division

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 85 average - 97% recommended

Critic Reviews

FingerGuns - 10 / 10

OlliOlli World is exactly what you want from an arcade game: it’s quick, it punishes mistakes, but it embodies the spirit of trying again. Pair with that with some Saturday morning cartoon visuals and characters, an overly-sweet level of charm, and the sense that Roll7 are having a fun time making this, and you’ve got a perfect recipe for frustrating fun.

IGN Korea - Korean - 10 / 10

While focusing on the main aspect of their gameplay, it's also determined to keep its mainstream accessibility. The game has a full on 90's platformer vibe, alongside a smooth skateboarding experience. It's their 3rd consecutive title to show off and Roll7 has unearthed the potential of a great level design to make sure the players get the maximum freedom within the game. The best thing about OlliOlli World is the countless interactions and the thrill of enjoyment while riding on a skateboard. They've kept the philosophy that skateboard riding can be one of the most enjoyable things a person could experience, all while providing the freedom to the players to bring out their own creativity while riding. The gameplay itself may not be the most unique or extravagant, but the collection of ideas alone could prove that the player experience is the utmost priority for a video game.

Saving Content - 5 / 5

Roll7 has mastered the essence of skateboarding, captured the chillaxing mood of what it is to be a skater, and achieved an impeccable control scheme. This is a game brimming with personality that the series didn’t quite have before, and now it just exudes it with the utmost confidence. Whether you’re looking to achieve gnarvana, nirvana, or nerdvana, there’s something for everyone here. OlliOlli World is pure perfection with flawless execution.

TheGamer - 5 / 5

Although February has a whole host of excellent games that are all vying for your wallet, I can’t see any of them overtaking how heartfelt, charming, and satisfying to play OlliOlli World is. Sure, it might not have double-jumping horses or robot dinosaurs, but becoming a skate wizard should be your first priority this month.

ComingSoon.net - 9.5 / 10

Memorable levels, a fascinating art style, a heavy customization system, and a staggering amount of replayability fortify those pristine mechanics and show that OlliOlli World is thorough and consistent with its quality, earning it its place within Gnarvana among the Skate Godz.

Gamepur - 9.5 / 10

OlliOlli World is everything a great skating game should be. It merges tight controls with a world you’ll want to explore and adds in an infinitely-listenable soundtrack and soothing visuals. The story might not blow you out of the water, but it doesn’t have to when the skating is this good. If you’re a fan of the sport or just like good action games, this is a must-play.

NintendoWorldReport - 9.5 / 10

The animation is impressively overhauled, the level design is intricate while evolving, and the gameplay is as smooth as butter with even more ways to flow. There's something to be said about iterative evolution but this is on another level of progression that makes the older games harder to go back to. Trust me, I tried and it was a grind.

PlayStation Universe - 9.5 / 10

OlliOlli World is an incredible reboot and the perfect evolution of the OlliOlli franchise. It's vivid and bright levels combined with the creativity in their design make for a deep gameplay meta that will keep you coming back for years. To put it simply, Roll7 did for OlliOlli in 2022 what Sony Santa Monica did for God Of War in 2018.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.5 / 10

OlliOlli World is one of the best platformers of recent years, a spectacular interpretation of the skate genre and, in general, a very fun, serene game, as relaxing as it is competitive, as spiritual as it is consistent and muscular.

Cubed3 - 9 / 10

OlliOlli World is one of the finest skateboarding games around. The gameplay is fun, intuitive and simple enough for newcomers to enjoy while having complex layers that will have skate veterans everywhere grinding to master. With plenty of items to unlock the incentive to replay levels goes beyond beating a high score. The multiplayer modes are simple but highly effective, keeping skaters busy long after beating the game, which will be no easy feat thanks to in-level quests and score challenges. Even when the story begins to drag as the game goes on it barely takes away from how incredible OlliOlli World is. Riding through Radlandia is a trip well worth taking.

Digital Trends - 4.5 / 5

OlliOlli World delivers beautiful, fast-paced, and captivating skateboarding fun.

Game Revolution - 9 / 10

OlliOlli World finally sees the series’ visual style matching its frenetic, fun gameplay. Mostly every new feature added by Roll7 works in its favor, providing a satisfying and impressively deep skateboarding game with immense replayability, tons of customization options, and a fun multiplayer mode. OlliOlli has always been slept on as a series, but with World, this could — and hopefully will — all change.

GameByte - 9 / 10

All-in-all, OlliOlli World’s visual style, fluid controls and accessible flow make it a fantastic entry to the platformer genre. Abundant in personality, it was obvious that taking some time out to create a worthy sequel has paid off for Roll7. Fans will adore it.

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Developer Roll7 has improved on every aspect of the OlliOlli franchise to create a huge, fun arcade skating game that's easy-going, but just as challenging as its predecessors.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5

OlliOlli World expands the series' formula with great success, effortlessly generating competition with a relentless sense of forward momentum

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

While I wish there was a 'Story Mode' toggle of some kind, OlliOlli World's writing didn't distract me too much from an otherwise fantastic skateboarding game. The levels are beautifully presented, well designed, and diverse, while Roll7's approach to difficulty makes the game easy to learn but tough to master. There's plenty to see and do in OlliOlli World, and with some tough challenges and neat social features, OlliOlli enthusiasts will be playing this one for a long time to come

IGN - 9 / 10

Rollercoaster-like courses and a wealth of moves make OlliOlli World a huge amount of fun to play, whether you're just cruising or out to become a true skate god.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9 / 10

OlliOlli World is simply brilliant. It's a hymn to gameplay, joy and the search for the perfect run. Mixing up old school platforming and a very keen skate simulation, Roll7 created a clever, fun and compelling adventure on wheels.

Kakuchopurei - 90 / 100

Long story short: Roll7 has a veritable and unique indie hit in their hands. OlliOlli World is the mainstream-style 2D skating game that's a culmination of the design lessons the team has gone through with its OlliOlli prequels.

MonsterVine - 4.5 / 5

OlliOlli World is a phenomenal follow-up that takes everything Roll7 learned in the previous games, and perfects it.

Nintendo Life - 9 / 10

OlliOlli World takes Roll7's refined 2D skateboarding concept to cosmic heights. Tight and challenging gameplay, a high skill ceiling, dozens of hours of content, and a remarkably stylish sense of presentation combine to make this a release you absolutely don't want to miss. It's an easy recommendation to pretty much any Switch owner, especially those who are easily roped in by score-chasing releases or super hard platforming, OlliOlli World is a shining example of the distinct kind of innovation and quality that can come from inspired indie game studios.

Prima Games - 9 / 10

Roll7 has done it again with another stellar skating game. This time with OlliOlli World which blends stringing together sick skate lines with a beautiful color palette of bright and muted pastels.

Sirus Gaming - 9 / 10

OlliOlli World is visually beautiful and mechanically fulfilling. The game appeals to both casual and competitive players, all the while wrapped in a charming world inhabited by interesting characters.

Stevivor - 9 / 10

OlliOlli World has something for everyone, be it hardcore skaters, platformer enthusiasts or those simply looking for a chilled out time.

The Beta Network - 9 / 10

OlliOlli World maintains the challenging gameplay of the previous entries in the series, whilst being much more accessible for new players! Featuring slick and satisfying controls, as well as a stunning cell-shaded art style, OlliOlli World sets itself apart as one of the best side-scrolling skateboarding games to date!

TrueAchievements - 9 / 10

OlliOlli World takes the tight, rewarding gameplay of its simple predecessors, dresses it up in a beautifully colourful and quirky new art style, and layers on a bunch of new systems that make it even more satisfying to master. It's a masterclass in how to make score attack games that can have players attack the same spot for hours at a time in search of those vital few points that would give them the lead over a rival, with dozens of awesome hand-crafted levels and countless procedural ones on which to chase those big numbers.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

Anyone who loved the first two games is going to go nuts for this one, as it kickflips the franchise forward in just about every way.

COGconnected - 88 / 100

OlliOlli World manages to stay true to its predecessors whilst making verts feel fresh. The multi-faceted levels are an absolute joy, adding experimentation and exploration to the solid foundation. With enough depth to please veterans, yet simple enough to attract newcomers, Roll7 has nailed the mechanics, making the trip to Radlandia essential.

Xbox Achievements - 88%

A perfect evolution of the previous two OlliOlli games, OlliOlli World goes big with a uniquely appealing art style, fun character customisation, and a slew of options, without compromising what makes the series so addictive and inviting. It's good to be rad.

PC Gamer - 87 / 100

A fresh new style and smoothed out lines make OlliOlli World an unmissable skate 'em up.

But Why Tho? - 8.5 / 10

OlliOlli World is a BLAST to play. Roll7 did an excellent job changing up their formula while still making this feel like an OlliOlli game. While it isn’t faultless with its difficulty, OlliOlli World is welcoming for just about anyone with any skill level.

Destructoid - 8.5 / 10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Olliolli World is a promise kept. A game dedicated to skateboarding that embraces every aspect of street culture in a perfect mixture of Platform, Rythm Game and Heart-pounding Arcade.

Explosion Network - 8.5 / 10

OlliOlli World is an additive skater, and the "just one more" loop at attempting to best some of the games more complex challenges will be sure to hook old and new fans of the series.

Multiplayer First - 8.5 / 10

Ultimately, if you are a skating or platforming fan, or you just like a stiff challenge, OlliOlli World is a must-play. It’s a good game that knows what its inspirations are and doesn’t try to be more than what it is. I can see myself coming back to it for a long time and I’m excited that we are getting such a solid start to the year.

ZTGD - 8.5 / 10

Even when I was beating my head against a wall on a certain level, I was still having a fun time with OlliOlli World. The simple controls kept me engaged, the progression was as difficult as I wanted it to be, and the style really sold the entire experience, I think fans of the Trials or Joe Danger games should really give this one a shot and fans of skating games can have a lot of fun here as well.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 8.4 / 10

‎After waiting for more than seven years for a new installment, more than five years it was well worth it. OlliOlli World represents an acrobatic leap of enormous quality that lands like the gods to enchant IP fans and open the doors to those who are just starting out in this crazy world of skateboarding.‎

MondoXbox - Italian - 8.4 / 10

OlliOlli World reaches the series' full maturity with a colorful and imaginative world, captivating characters and lots of content and challenges, offering a package never so fascinating and complete. Recommended to all the lovers of skateboarding and platforming.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.4 / 10

The Kingdom of Radlandia is full of fun and shows pretty well how Roll7 keeps growing and improving.

CGMagazine - 8 / 10

OlliOlli World is a fantastic addition to the indie landscape that warrants any platforming fan to give it a go, but players uncomfortable with fighting game special moves, or players that don’t like challenging titles will have a rough time.

Daily Star - 4 / 5

Roll7 have done a cracking job here, providing a fresh-looking, fast paced video game with tons of replayability. It’s slick, speedy, plays well and addictive and embraces the weird, wonderful and diverse side of skateboarding culture. This is a game all about going on a road trip with your friends, finding crazy spots, pulling mad tricks and skating everything in sight.

Game Informer - 8 / 10

OlliOlli World is a fun ride through a goofy world. Even when it caused me actual pain, I enjoyed its many twists and challenges.

Game Rant - 4 / 5

Roll7's OlliOlli World provides a unique skateboarding game experience, filled with relaxing environments and tense challenges.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

If you enjoyed Roll7’s previous OlliOlli games, it’s safe to say that you’ll love their evolution into OlliOlli World. Even if you weren’t a fan, there’s more than enough here to entice new players. The controls are accessible and easy to get to grips with, though there’s still plenty of depth for advanced players. Combine that with beautiful visuals, a kicking soundtrack and wonderfully animated characters, and what more could you possibly want? It’s never felt better to land a truly epic trick.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Courtesy of some really great hand-drawn art, it's hard not to adopt the game's most excellent and bodacious attitude through osmosis. But OlliOlli World's strength, as it has always been, is in its low barrier to entry and the fact it's just so damn fun to pick up and play.

Push Square - 8 / 10

OlliOlli World is a huge leap forwards for Roll7's skating series. Lovely new presentation, a fun location filled with personality, and that all-important, ever-addictive gameplay align to make for a super fun take on the sport. While it's been made more approachable to new players, it still offers quite a stern challenge, and not all the dialogue and characters nail it. However, any nit picks easily melt away when it all clicks. Heaven really might be a halfpipe, after all.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5

At its core, OlliOlli World is an intricate action-platformer game that offers a fun experience and a vibrant, interesting world of unique characters. With additional challenges unlocked, side quests to find, competitive seasonal online tracks, and the ability to play in the Gnarvana Portal, there's plenty of post-game content to enjoy. Although some mechanics can take a while to master, and challenges may be frustrating at times, OlliOlli World is an overall fun experience with a lot to offer those familiar with, and new, to the series.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

While skating remains at its best in a 3D space, OlliOlli World continues to show that there's a place for it in the 2D realm. While it can sometimes feel like a small world, it's still big enough for everyone to have a good time.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4 / 5

OlliOlli World looks like the type of game that you would find as a free-to-play mobile experience, but once you get into the grind of things, you'll be kickflipping with excitement as you tackle challenge after challenge that will keep you coming back for more each time.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

Behind the chilled out vibes of OlliOlli World's new art style, happy-go-lucky characters and eccentric customisation, this game takes Roll7's flow-state side-scrolling skating to new heights. It's a tad more welcoming for newcomers, but even OlliOlli 2 veterans will have plenty of new tricks to learn and master through its increasingly wild and challenging levels.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

OlliOlli World has a chill vibe that allows players to enjoy performing skating tricks, whether to clear platforming challenges or just to challenge themselves to the highest score. The game offers little else besides cosmetic rewards, but it more than makes up for it with its replayability and addictive nature. It's the perfect game for those who want to play a game with the same level of depth as the Tony Hawk or Skate franchises.

Worth Playing - 8 / 10

OlliOlli World is a delightfully charming little platformer. It has its own sense of style, and it's dripping with personality. The gameplay is a delightful mix that's easy to pick up and play but difficult to master. If you're looking for something that scratches the Tony Hawk bug, then OlliOlli World succeeds in spades. Just don't get frustrated when your near-perfect run is ruined by a stray cat sitting at the very end of the level.

Cultured Vultures - 7.5 / 10

OlliOlli World stumbles here and there, with a steep difficulty curve and occasional technical hitches, but fans of skateboarding games will find plenty of combo-stringing complexity to enjoy.

God is a Geek - 7 / 10

OlliOlli World is a beautiful game, but the gameplay gets very frustrating after the first few worlds.

VideoGamer - 7 / 10

Whether OlliOlli World charms you or chafes at your patience will depend on your appetite for such whimsy.

TechRaptor - 6.5 / 10

OlliOlli World plays just as great as its extreme sports predecessors, but its pandering presentation makes the whole package feel like a letdown.

Eurogamer - Essential

A thrilling leap forward for a magical skating series.

One More Game - Buy

OlliOlli World is a fun game that lets you pick it up and proceed at your own pace. Depending on how much you want to put into the game, there’s something for just about anyone willing to give it a try. While the later levels may come across as intimidating, you’ll learn how to do tricks and advanced techniques like a natural in no time thanks to its fantastic tutorial.

Polygon - Unscored

OlliOlli World showcases that creativity in its fairly expansive multiplayer and social elements as well. Within each level, I can see leaderboard stats for other players - including a few close to my skill level, deemed my rivals. But I can also watch replays of their runs, to see how they've approached these different levels and what tricks landed them their scores. I can watch replays for the top scorers, too.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

OlliOlli World's platforming skateventures are skin-blisteringly good. This game may become responsible for hundreds of game pads laid low by kickflip-induced stick drift.

The Escapist - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Indie games discussion and recommendations, update: OlliOlli World reviews from OpenCritic posted
2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I had fun with the original back on the Vita. I'll probably end up grabbing this one. 

I liked them on vita too, but wasnt planning to drop $30 on a new one, until I actually looked into this and saw how much style and charm it seems to be filled with.