Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for July release!

crispy4000

YouTube:

A new paper-crafted Mario adventure unfolds on Nintendo Switch!

The kingdom has been ravaged by an origami menace! Join Mario and his new partner, Olivia, as they battle evil Folded Soldiers, repair the damaged landscape, and try to free Princess Peach’s castle from the clutches of King Olly in this comedy-filled adventure, only on the Nintendo Switch™ system.

Mario and Luigi receive an invitation from Princess Peach to attend an origami festival and excitedly hurry to Toad Town…but something’s amiss. After investigating the eerily empty town, the duo finds a fearsome (and folded) Princess Peach—she’s been turned into origami by King Olly, ruler of the Origami Kingdom! With five giant streamers under his control, King Olly binds Princess Peach’s Castle and transports it to a distant mountain as part of his plan to re-fold the world.

On his journey to liberate Peach’s Castle and repair the ravaged paper landscape, Mario meets Olivia, King Olly’s sister, and the two join forces to put a stop to Olly’s origami onslaught. Even Bowser falls victim to Olly’s plot when his minions are turned into origami Folded Soldiers and betray their Koopa king, forcing him to ally with Mario and Olivia!

Battle the Folded Soldiers in ring-based battles that challenge you to strategically line up enemies to maximize damage! Out of battle, Mario can use the arm-extending 1,000-Fold Arms ability in specific spots to interact with the landscape to pull, peel, hit, and more! Join Mario, Olivia, and their companions on a journey of laughter and emotion, thrills, and a whole lot of folding.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm not feeling it. Mario being the only 2D object just looks off.

There’s other characters that are also 2D.  What I’m hoping for more is the creativity we saw in TTYD.

Love the hook here personally.  It’s not nearly as jarring as Paper Jam on 3DS.  (RIP Alpha Dream)

30 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Yeah I will but can’t now lol. Thanks for some clarification tho. 

It should be turn based. The initial reason for the change was because of the Mario and Luigi series but that series maybe dead. 

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I have only played Sticker Star and that game was boring af. 

Even Super Paper Mario was better than Sticker Star. The Thousands Year Door was a phenomenal game. Easily my favorite Mario RPG. It just sucks we haven't gotten a similar game some way back when.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These bosses aren’t just waiting in one location for Mario to find them. Instead, they’re scattered around the world. That creates a striking visual, as players can see the streamers far in the distance, while also giving them a hint as to where their next challenge lies. One of the biggest departures with The Origami King is that the story isn’t chapter-focused as past games have been. Instead, players can travel from region to region seamlessly in an open-world setup.

“One major feature that makes the world where this adventure takes place special is that there are huge maps to explore at every turn,” says Masahiko Magaya, director at Intelligent Systems. “Because the game is laid out this way, we were careful during the design phase to make sure there is always something in the player’s field of vision to catch their attention.”

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2020/06/30/a-new-crease-on-life-nintendo-shares-insight-on-paper-marios-latest-adventure

More in the article

Sounds interesting, but I remain really worried about that combat. Color Splash had a huge issue where basic attacks took a million fucking years and this doesn't seem to be alleviating that. Lots of stage manipulation could create an issue if battles are too frequent or enemies take a long time to kill. It worked alright for Radiant Historia, so I'm not as worried as I'd otherwise be. Everything besides the combat looks to be very interesting and hopefully very fun. I've never liked any Paper Mario game as much as good ol' Super Mario RPG or the Mario & Luigi games, but especially lately they've been god awful. Would be delighted if that finally changed.

Looks like we got another Paper Mario with no battle-based progression. No experience or other similar rewards from battle, just coins.

Outside of basic jump/hammer, all weapons have durability/are consumable.

I'm hoping this isn't another Color Splash. I fucking despised that game. At least this time around we get an infinite basic attack, so that's good. Going against the grain just for the hell of it is not on its own good or innovative design. But I'm holding out hope that it'll be better than Color Splash in terms of actual fun. Using attacks in Color Splash was a tedious orgy of extraneous trash. As long as I can keep earning now core abilities or other fun gameplay additions over time, I'll be fine. And as long as the world isn't just an army of palette-swapped Toads. Oh, and no luck-based rock-paper-scissors arena mini-game. Yuck.