Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 OT (Update: Steam release announced for 03 October 2023)

Pikachu

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I happen to love chipotle but I will just wait for the game to release lol.

Yeah I mean, I want to play it. But it’s not life or death. I can wait a few weeks until the release. 

I do remember Pizza Hut giving away PS1 demo discs I played for hours and hours though lol

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater's Warehouse Level Still Holds Up 21 Years Later in New Remake's Demo (USgamer)

The best remasters and remakes are the ones that click instantly. Where you remember the timing of specific button presses or the perfect path through an obstacle. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, from Vicarious Visions, Beenox, and Activision, is exactly that kind of game. In the new warehouse demo, which plops players as Tony Hawk into one of the series's most iconic levels, there is no tutorial. There is no fluff explaining how to skate. You just drop into the warehouse, and you're immediately crashing through wooden doors and barrelling down a giant slope at record speed.

It's like riding a bike. Or rather, a board.

My thumbs immediately knew what to do-Square for flips, Triangle for grinding, analog stick flicking for balancing a manual, how holding X makes the skater stoop low on their board to build up speed before their next ollie. I didn't remember it consciously, but my instincts immediately got to work, even if it led to more bails and sloppy landings than clean trick finishes. I'm not a pro yet, after all.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Remasters Feel Like the "Dark Souls" of Skateboarding (Inverse)

THPS epitomizes the contradictory nostalgia that's everywhere you look in the games industry at present. Gamers want to play old games how they remember them, not how they actually played. Pro Skater 1 & 2 has none of the jagged edges a game in 1999 or 2000 would actually have, and is shaping up to be a very different game than its ancestors. Whereas the originals were slower and forgiving, Pro Skater 1 & 2 is not. There are features, such as feet positioning and trick reverts, that weren't introduced until later in Pro Skater history and are present here in PS1&2. You couldn't skip songs. You can now. (But why would you?)

The Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater remaster feels great (The Verge)

There are still a lot of questions about the game, of course. THPS1+2 combines two games, with a metagame over top that links them together in a way that’s supposed to create a cohesive whole. There are also new online and creation elements, along with a modern cast of skaters. These elements will be an important factor in whether the new game has staying power, and I haven’t been able to experience any of them yet.

But the demo is still a relief. One of the reasons fans have been so excited for the remaster is that the Tony Hawk series has... well, it has not been very good for years. I wouldn’t blame anyone for being wary of yet another attempt to revitalize it, considering past attempts like THPS5, which was, to put it nicely, a disappointment. That’s why this new demo, brief as it is, is so welcome. There could still be issues with the game at large, but at its core, THPS1+2 does what it says: it plays like classic Tony Hawk while looking like a brand-new game.

The Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 demo is everything I wanted it to be (Polygon)

I was dying to find out if the developers of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 had done it, had brought back the original feel of the series, and I received my answer very quickly: This is what I wanted. It was hard to stop smiling once everything clicked

‘Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2’ Demo Throws You Into the Warehouse With a Skateboard and a Dream (Collider)

Fast-forward more than 20 years later and, lo and behold, I’ve got my hands on another skateboard game, this time a remaster of Hawk’s landmark titles Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2. Do I remember any of the terminology from 1999? Nope, not really, and neither do I remember how to do any of the tricks, IRL or otherwise. But if the stripped-down and simple Warehouse demo is any indication, I might just be devoting more hours of my life to virtual skateboarding than ever before

Hands On: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 Warehouse Demo Is a Short But Promising Showcase (PushSquare)

If it wasn't clear already, it has to be said: Activision knows how to do a remake. The publisher has proven many times that it's capable of reviving its old franchises for a modern audience, and it looks to be doing the same for its legendary skateboarding series. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 brings back the beloved titles on PS4, and the collection is sure to deliver longtime fans a huge dose of nostalgia. We were fortunate enough to gain early access to the Warehouse demo, showcasing the very first level of the original game. We're happy to report that it feels like a return to form.

The Tony Hawk's remaster does justice to one of the greatest demos of all-time (Eurogamer)

Most importantly, it feels incredible, the risk/reward implicit in trying to chain together a seemingly endless list of tricks combining with good old-fashioned score chasing for a mix that's as compelling as it's ever been. I relived those two minutes of the original demo countless times back in the day, and the past few days I've stretched them out to a good few hours in the remaster. It's good enough to make me think that maybe I should finally take the plunge, all these years later, and actually get around to playing a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game proper when it comes out early next month.

@Paperclyp

Tricks, Kickflips, and Thumbsticks: An Oral History of the Making of ‘Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater’ (The Ringer)

Skateboarding“Skateboarding is not a crime.” As a slogan in 2019, it’s antiquated to the point of hilarity. Who in the hell would be threatened by skateboarding? Maybe your dad, worried you won’t hang out with him at the park anymore so he can show off his mild ollie skills while wearing a Pavement shirt. Two decades ago, though, record store windows, bathroom stalls in dank punk clubs, and the bumpers of weary Toyota Corollas bore that slogan with utter seriousness and conviction. Skating was no joke in 1999. Good news for Tony Hawk.

Steve Caballero, Geoff Rowley, and Andrew Reynolds Interview: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 (ScreenRant)

While promoting the September 4 release of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, pro skaters Steve Caballero, Geoff Rowley, and Andrew Reynolds spoke to Screen Rant about their legendary careers and the undeniable impact of the Tony Hawk's series on skate culture and the evolution of the sport itself. They discuss some of their fondest memories related to the games, and reflect on their early days, when skateboarding was not as hip and understood as it is today.

After seeing the demo, I’m beyond hyped. This looks absolutely like what we’ve wanted for 20 years. 

The $40 price point to boot? Oh yes. It’s Day one. That amazing soundtrack (most of it) is back and I’m ready. I spent untold countless hours in the original game. 

Can’t wait 

• 2 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Platforms:

• Xbox One (Sep 4, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 4, 2020)
  • PC (Sep 4, 2020)

Developer: Vicarious Visions

Publisher: Activision

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 89 average - 99% recommended

Critic Reviews

But Why Tho? - 10 / 10

Overall, if you loved any of the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater games you are going to love this game. Whether its the feeling of nostalgia, the great gameplay, or even just the incredible soundtrack there is something for anyone and everyone in this remaster.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 10 / 10

Vicarious Visions' reputation for developing nostalgia continues. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2 not only lives up to the beloved classic games, but it lives up to my memory of the beloved classic games; an important distinction. It walks the fine line of recreating the classics for a modern era, while never feeling either dated or burdened with new and unnecessary changes. The small quality of life tweaks are all in service of building on the games you remember and getting players comfortable on the board 20 years later. Age hasn't slowed these skaters down. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2 looks and plays better than ever, and lands a perfect combo.

Saving Content - 5 / 5 stars

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater is back in a tremendous way. Where every move, every level, every detail matches or exceeds the first two games, and doesn’t miss a step in its recreation. Movement in the game feels just right as the memories come flooding in. It’s so fresh and exciting thanks to the challenge system, as well as numerous other improvements and enhancements. Vicarious Visions have redefined what it is to be a remake, and have done so spectacularly. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 is The Second Coming of Christ Air.

Telegraph - 5 / 5 stars

The early-2000s skateboarding sims are among some of the best games ever made and this update recaptures a punkish heart for a new audience

The Digital Fix - 10 / 10

One of the greatest sports games of all time is back and every bit as good as you remember.

TheGamer - 5 / 5 stars

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 & 2 is not just a must-play title for skateboarding fans. Given its longstanding history, it can arguably also be considered an essential title for gaming in general.

TheSixthAxis - 10 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+ 2 is a labour of love and an ode to the series' glory days. Every inch of the game has been perfectly restored and updated for modern consoles and it's an absolute delight to play from start to finish. This is a must-buy for skateboarders, gamers and everyone else in between.

Total Gaming Network - 5 / 5 stars

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is very nearly the perfect remake. Without a doubt this is the definitive version of both titles currently available. It is welcoming to those who have never played the game while being an immediate blast from the past with us old farts that spent their formative years playing these games for hours at a time.

TrueAchievements - 5 / 5 stars

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 is a shining example of how to do a remake properly, and sits in stark contrast to the last woeful effort to revisit these classics, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD. Vicarious Visions demonstrates a wonderful understanding of what needs updating and what should be held sacred, even to the point that the team has bitten the bullet and let the lesser stages (yes, of course we mean you, Downhill Jam) stay bad just so the classics can stay superb without laying a finger on any of the layouts.

Use a Potion - 10 / 10

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 is simply perfect, with the satisfyingly brilliant skateboarding mechanics standing the test of time over twenty years on from its original release. Add to that some stunning new visuals, additional gameplay mechanics and challenges, a robust ‘Create a Park’ feature that allows endless possibilities, and, of course, a banging soundtrack, and you’ll quickly find you’re in skateboarding heaven with Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2.

Bravo, Activision and Vicarious Visions… you’ve ABSOLUTELY nailed it.

VG247 - 5 / 5 stars

Vicarious Visions has proved that Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater was more than just a product of its time, and that – like skating itself – it has every chance of penetrating the mainstream once again.

Windows Central - 5 / 5 stars

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 manages to deliver a gaming experience greater than my fondest memories of the franchise. These classic games look and feel better than ever.

Cheat Code Central - 4.9 / 5

Basically, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 is a perfect remaster. It feels the way you expect the game to and has everything I loved about these two games. Everything looks more gorgeous than ever before. You have extra tasks in the original levels. There are incentives to keep going back into all of the levels to complete tasks, unlock new customization options, get stat points, and work toward getting over 700 Challenges done. There’s a great multiplayer option. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 isn’t just as good as you remembered, it’s better.

Heavy - 9.8 / 10

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 is another shining example of Activision’s dedicated effort to properly revive its most beloved IP’s. Vicarious Visions not only improved upon the first two games’ visual and audio aspects but it also threw in a wealth of modes and changes that make it approachable for both past and modern-day gamers.

COGconnected - 95 / 100

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 is the package fans have been waiting years for.

Critical Hit - 9.5 / 10

There's a fine line between a remake and a remaster, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 doesn't just expertly balance on it, It pops a 50-50 nose grind, rides that line with a devil may care attitude, and lands the trick perfectly. The biggest name in skateboarding is back, and better than ever.

Digital Chumps - 9.5 / 10

Vicarious Visions nailed the remake of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-2. They have given us a reminder about how much fun this title was back in the day, how much fun it is today, and assured gamers that anyone can pick it up and play it without much fuss. Is it perfect? Nope, but it's near-perfect fun.

Forbes - 9.5 / 10

The nostalgia is strong with this one, but not a necessary component. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 is just plain, good old-fashioned arcade fun. I think we could all use a healthy dose of that right now.

PlayStation Universe - 9.5 / 10

Chaotic, fun, addictive, and rewarding. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 retains everything that made the games amazing in the '90s. It then adds a coat of fresh paint, better physics, and a more modern progression system to keep you playing after completing the classic objectives. This is an amazing package of games that will please old fans and new fans alike and I am so happy it turned out so well.

Pure Playstation - 9.5 / 10

THPS1+2 is probably the best remake I've played. It perfectly captures the core fun of the original games, including the original soundtrack and skaters, and brings it up to modern standards with surprisingly few tweaks outside of the graphics and audio work. Perfect for long time loyal fans, and a great starting point for newcomers.

Seasoned Gaming - 9.5 / 10

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 & 2 is one of the greatest remakes we’ve seen this generation.

TechRaptor - 9.5 / 10

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 is a must buy for THPS fans, and an incredible entry point for those new to the franchise. Even if you're not a fan of skateboarding it's hard not to have fun working towards campaign goals.

VGN - Italian - 9.4 / 10

Take the two most loved skate games ever, put them together to get the new most popular skate game ever. Vicarious Visions and Activision do not miss the shot and hit the target in full. We didn't see skateboarding debut at the Tokyo Olympics, but Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is more than a good consolation in anticipation of next summer.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 9.2 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is possibly the best title in the franchise since it was born in 1999. The amount of content we have, the graphic quality, the perfection of its multiplayer system, profiles and challenges, and the quantity of options to make things easier for new players, they are a real joy. The best game of the genre is back in a big way.

DualShockers - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 is one of the finest remakes to have come out of 2020 in keeping its original roots intact but to modern standards.

Flickering Myth - 9 / 10

This is a gorgeous, narcotically addictive remake and a major return to form for the beleaguered Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater franchise. From this point on, it’s basically the gold standard template for remaking a sacrosanct gaming classic.

GAMES.CH - German - 90 / 100

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 + 2 is not only one of the best arcade sport simulations so far. The remake also the best arcady skateboarding sim of all times. The game maintains the quintessence of the series and combines it with contemporary graphics and potentially durable multiplayer modes.

GameByte - 9 / 10

Overall, the remaster does a great job encapsulating the fun and nostalgia the original has.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 is exactly how a remake should be done.

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 deftly recreates the original games' levels while implementing smart additions to the trick system and creating engaging challenges.

GamesBeat - 90 / 100

For video games, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 still shows us what games are capable of. You’ll find sad dads in books. Movies will have equally moving stories. Music can show us that emotions are not necessarily tied to language. But only video games can re-create skateboarding.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk's pro Skater 1+2 is a near-perfect remake of two classic games that proves that, like Tony Hawk himself, some things only get better with age.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Pro Skater 1 + 2 not only perfectly recreates the pure joy of the originals, it improves on them greatly. The visuals have obviously been improved, but so have the responsive controls. If you have liked a Tony Hawk game in the past, you'll feel right at home here.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 9 / 10

The best skateboarding arcade ever made. Essential for the lovers of this sport.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 are perfect remasters that remind me fondly of the original, offering excellent gameplay and tons to do. They look great, sound great, and have tons of replayability.

IGN - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 proves that going backwards has been the best step forward for the series in 15 years.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 is a pure expression of joy, vitality and gameplay.

Metro GameCentral - 9 / 10

A stripped-down, glorious-looking remake that updates the original two games in just the right way to make them feel fresh and exciting again.

MondoXbox - Italian - 9 / 10

Vicarious Visions managed to do justice to the first two iconic Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games, adding new content and refreshing the gameplay mechanics. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is a remastering masterwork and a game everyone should try.

Nexus - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is easily one of the best remakes in gaming, and does the legacy of the series and Tony Hawk's name proud after a few stumbles. The graphics are great and the stellar visual upgrades to classic locations makes it feel so much more than just a skateboarder's playground now.

Noisy Pixel - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 offers more than just a nostalgic experience. It’s a return to the skateboarding movement that shaped my early teens and will surely give gamers growing up a chance to capture that same feeling I did. The experience expertly balances the arcadey systems of the series without pushing it too far to the mundane or cringy. Instead, what you are left with is a genuine Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater experience and one that I immensely enjoyed.

NookGaming - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 feels like a faithful remake, but still improves in all areas. The only real gripe I have with it is that the controls don’t feel perfect with the analog stick, but that’s minor considering there’s another option. There are a good amount of levels and tons of things to do in them. I really enjoyed it and that’s not just the nostalgia talking.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is, without a doubt, exactly what the fans of the franchise expected: it brings the same scenarios, refined and fluid gameplay, an updated look to current standards and, above all, uncompromising fun that keeps the good vibes from the original games.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

THPS 1+2 feels constrained by the structure of the PS1 originals, but perhaps that was the right decision for now. It's been such a long time since any developer nailed the fundamentals of how to make a great Tony Hawk game, but Vicarious Visions has successfully brought back the original Neversoft magic.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Quote not yet available

Spaziogames - Italian - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 is a title that manages to be incredibly nostalgic, but it's a modern exerpience at the same time.

Sports Gamers Online - 9 / 10

No matter which way you spin in, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 is an excellent remake from top to bottom. The levels look great, the soundtrack is nostalgic yet modern, and the gameplay brings you back to sitting on your living room floor late at night playing with friends.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4.5 / 5 stars

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 is the remaster that gets just about everything right. The graphics are amazing, the skaters are here from both games alongside some newer skaters from the modern era, the gameplay is lifted from the best games in the series with the option to customize things to your liking, and the music brings that good wave of nostalgia that the series is famous for. Though there are some missteps here and there, the remaster is right up there in the realm of the best remasters available for any video game. Working nostalgia into a very satisfying recreation of two of the best games in the genre is something that will have you smiling from game to game.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 9 / 10

Vicarious Visions did another excellent job and perfectly captured what made Tony Hawk games so special, we just can't wait for future installments.

TrustedReviews - 4.5 / 5 stars

The gameplay is so responsive and rewarding that it’s hard to put down. It might take some time to master, but finally lining up that absurd combo you’ve been practising makes it all worth it. Throw in the in-game progression, unlockables, level creator and online play, and you’re looking at one of the most feature packed games of 2020.

USgamer - 4.5 / 5 stars

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is the perfect remake. It doesn't just recapture what made the series so beloved, but helps us fall in love with mastering combos and finding secret areas all over again. The one major downfall of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is a relatively slight one: its multiplayer options are slim at launch. Even being a grinding, rolling advertisement for the sorts of brands you'd find at Zumiez, all the brands's non-stop presence is something undeniably Tony Hawk-and hell, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a cart waiting to check out at Zumiez now. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is an excellent remake with a rare power: the power to make skaters of us all.

Vamers - 90 / 100

From beautifully remodelled pro skaters, aged to look like they do in 2020, to maps rebuilt from scratch, it is evident Vicarious Visions thought of it all. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 is a masterful remake. Every pixel, menu option, and in-game object has been meticulously crafted to exude streams of nostalgia while keeping things fresh and new. It is a beautifully balanced experience where new players will never even know of the massive legacy the game hides below its surface. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 is an excellent return to form for the franchise, and a must have title for fans of the originals.

WayTooManyGames - 9 / 10

I just feel happy playing Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2. After feeling disappointed with the re-release of another childhood gem of mine, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, I was worried this game was going to be another case of a poorly aged title that relied more on nostalgia than its actual quality. I’m so glad I was wrong.

Worth Playing - 9 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is emblematic of how good the original arcade skating formula is and how excellent Vicarious Visions is at remastering jobs. Everything here feels just as tight as those original titles but with a fresh coat of paint that will impress those who still play those PlayStation and N64 originals to this day. The quick runs and easy-to-learn controls make for an addictive experience, so you'll find yourself going for just one more run. The addition of online leaderboards and created levels give this game some serious legs, so THPS1+2 is a must-have for your gaming library. The only people who wouldn't enjoy this title are those who live and die by a sim skateboarding experience.

Xbox Achievements - 90 / 100

As far as immediate arcade thrills go, few games can compete with the level of gratification you're guaranteed to get from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2. If you enjoyed the originals or fancy seeing what all the fuss is about, you're in for an absolute treat either way.

AusGamers - 8.9 / 10

If you’ve ever played either game or the series before, you know what you’re in for, it’s just more. If you haven’t and this is your first time dropping in -- don’t be scared, the opposite transition awaits and gravity will take hold in that this series will launch you to new, fun and endearing heights.

Atomix - Spanish - 88 / 100

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 it's more than just a nostalgic game. It is a reminder of how awesome this games were back in the day.

Game Informer - 8.8 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2 is the best way to experience these two classic titles

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 88 / 100

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 moves between the old and new like fish on water. It offers the same control, the iconic levels and the gameplay we used to love, but with a new and shiny body, that offers more options than ever. It's not perfect, but it's the skate game that lots of us were expecting.

LevelUp - Spanish - 8.8 / 10

Remaking games is not easy, but once again, Activision and Vicarious Visions deliver a great experience. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2 fell as good as its original versions, but at the same time, they adopt some things that the franchise learned along the way. Is nice to see that such a beloved series came back in such a good way.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.7 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is the realization of a dream that has pervaded the minds of fans for a long, too long, time. Through the inclusion of gameplay features from the third and fourth chapters, Vicarious Visions has restored vigor to the classic recipe and has given players valid reasons to "stay" even after completing the Skate Tours.

PowerUp! - 8.7 / 10

If you’re a long-time fan, here’s the only thing that really matters, the words you’ve been longing to read—these are the games you remember.

PC Gamer - 86 / 100

A perfect blend of authenticity mixed with modern-day quality of life enhancements. Joyous, slick, hi-score gaming that looks nice too.

Areajugones - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is back with a work faithful to its playable roots but with a total technical facelift. A riot of arcade fun capable of convincing the most veteran fans and those who have not yet touched the saga.

GamePro - German - 85 / 100

Tony is back! Despite small problems, the two remakes are a skateboarding delight thanks to the indestructible game principle.

Video Chums - 8.5 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 proves that video games aren't really getting much better than what was around at the turn of the millennium. In fact, the amount of fun to be had here makes most modern games feel sterile and unstimulating in comparison.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

After falling off the board entirely with Tony Hawk's previous outing, Activision has successfully gone back to the beginning and proven again what once made the series so iconic with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

Blemishes aside, Activision is doing so much right this time beyond just putting Vicarious Visions in charge. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 isn't going to blow people away, but it preserves the original experience with a few modern conveniences. It's a win.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 makes good on its promise of revitalizing a legendary franchise, but it's modern twists aren't all clean landed.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 finally brings back the noise of a beloved franchise, after so many failed attempts. This remaster compile the arcade gameplay and the sillyness of two famous games to deliver a classic but loving experience for every fan of the genre. If only this duo turned into a trio, the party would have been perfect.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

A fitting remake for two of the best extreme sports games of all-time, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 offers up more than mere nostaglia,

Guardian - 4 / 5 stars

The legendary skateboarding sim is back in a brilliant rerelease that offers a portal to the past

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

For those who can forgive the confusing online component, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 stands as another well-crafted and well-realized remake of an old favorite.

M3 - Swedish - 4 / 5 stars

The loving restoration together with well-chosen news makes Tony Hawk 'Pro Skater 1 + 2 feel exactly like before and completely new at the same time.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is a one-way ticket to the turn of the millennium. It's a complete, beautiful love letter to not only Tony Hawk himself as an icon but to a time when both the series and the sport of skateboarding itself were most pure and fun. As a bundle, and with the multiplayer providing even more longevity, this game offers unrivalled value.

Pure Xbox - 8 / 10

The greatest compliment we can give to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is that it's a very faithful remake of the original two classics. And for the first time in a long time, the franchise feels fresh again. The game does a great job at recapturing the magic of Pro Skater's early days while also modernising them for the current generation (despite a couple of wobbles), and now we can't wait to see where Activision takes the series next. Welcome back, Tony!

Push Square - 8 / 10

Vicarious Visions has produced another excellent remake with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2. It brings those PS1 classics to the modern era with a wonderful visual upgrade, rock solid performance, and all the features you'd expect of a game released in 2020. Most importantly, though, it retains the specific feel of the franchise at its best, delivering an addictive, fast-paced, arcade-like experience. Old fans can rest easy knowing that the Tony Hawk games are back on form, while new players can dive into the skateboarding world for the first time. This game is sick, bro.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

A great remaster that brings memories to the series fans and it does its best to the classic THPS series, but it might not attracts the new players to this series.

SmashPad - 4 / 5 stars

The THPS series may be one that’s getting older all the time, but if this latest outing by Vicarious Visions is any indicator, then just like the Birdman himself, age hasn’t slowed it down one bit.

Stevivor - 8 / 10

As a recreation it highlights how good the original games were for their time. Challenging, original, addictive and damn fun to play.

VideoGamer - 8 / 10

The new studios pay both respect and homage to the original releases by valuing their clarity above all else.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 7.5 / 10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is a nostalgic attack that make us feeld very old. The fun classic gameplay with anecdotic features.

Entertainium - Unscored

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 is the ultimate version of two of the most fun skateboarding games ever.

Kotaku - Unscored

Even with all its changes, THPS1+2 perfectly captures a moment in time. It’s a damaged Polaroid photo scanned, digitized, and lovingly retouched. It’s gravel picked out of a scraped knee. It’s a night of sleep untouched by nightmares and insomnia. It is, as it always was, just what I need in this moment.

Operation Sports - Unscored

Ultimately, the crux of what makes the game so incredible is also a colossal victory for sports gaming altogether. This game is a literal revival and remake of the first two games, but with a modern fresh coat of paint.

Polygon - "Recommends"

Everything I love about the original is still here; it’s just a little older, a little kinder, and a lot better looking.

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Ugg. I really want to pick this up but the reasons I won't are annoying ones (Ie I want a switch port and Boo at activision by charging $60 in canada when it should be $51 at current exchange rates).

Hints of a Switch port was found in the demo so it’s likely on the way. 

21 minutes ago, maddux4163 said:

This is the THPS game I’ve waited for, for decades. 

They destroyed my hopes with the many shovel ware titles this franchise had. Gimmick wii titles and a bogus HD remaster. THPS5 etc. 

downloading now! 

First Tony Hawk game purchase since PS2 era 

The game is unlocked for me. Just loaded it up now. 

37 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

The game is unlocked for me. Just loaded it up now. 

I noticed it said “unlocks in 30 mins” and this was at 7:30pm central. So apparently 8pm Central for some reason. 

Quick download. Only 20gbs. So I’ll absolutely start playing shortly. It’s done downloading for me too 

4 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I gotta say this is a nice package. The price, soundtrack, graphics, amount of content, and all the memories the game brings back....Probably makes it my favorite game of the year so far. 

Dat $40 price tag is shocking. This isn’t some budget game. It’s got depth. Career modes. Multiplayer. Unlockables. Character upgrades. Etc. 

21 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

This is an oddly nostalgic experience, considering I never played these games. The only Tony Hawk games I really played were 3 and THUG 2. 

Well the game plays like THPS 3 & 4 and the THUG series was pretty much THPS 4 but with a story mode. So it's like your playing THPS 3 but with new levels :p