Petulant manchild and very stable genius throws tantrum after his business isn't declared essential.

5 hours ago, MarSolo said:

What the fuck is red pilling again?

It’s when you make a movie that’s a thinly veiled transgender narrative which only becomes

obvious in retrospect and then a decade later an online army of worthless chuds completely miss the point and use it as a term for “realizing” that actually the world is really hard on men when you think about it and it’s all the fault of women.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/18/2020 at 3:17 PM, LazyPiranha said:

It’s when you make a movie that’s a thinly veiled transgender narrative which only becomes

obvious in retrospect and then a decade later an online army of worthless chuds completely miss the point and use it as a term for “realizing” that actually the world is really hard on men when you think about it and it’s all the fault of women.

The Matrix is what now?

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The Matrix is what now?

The Matrix, if viewed in the right light, is a pretty on the nose allegory for the transgender experience.  I mean for fuck's sake there's an extremely androgynous character named Switch and the main villain of the movie consistently refuses to call Neo by his new name and constantly insists on gendering him as Mr.  

5 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

The Matrix, if viewed in the right light, is a pretty on the nose allegory for the transgender experience.  I mean for fuck's sake there's an extremely androgynous character named Switch and the main villain of the movie consistently refuses to call Neo by his new name and constantly insists on gendering him as Mr.  

But what happens in the other 2 movies?

11 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I had never thought of it that way. I always took to Smith calling him “Mr. Anderson” all the time as a way treating him like a number. It always had a tone of “know your role and stay in line” with a thin veil of “respect”, but to also say “we know who you really are”. 

like in police procedurals when a criminal with an alias is always referred to by their legal given name by the detectives, instead of their street name. 

22 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

TIL people will latch onto anything as an allegory for their experience when they're desperate enough.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

TIL people will latch onto anything as an allegory for their experience when they're desperate enough.

By people do you mean the women who fucking wrote and directed the movie? Or?

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But what happens in the other 2 movies?

They made a shit load of money and then made more.  The Matrix was never planned as a trilogy, things got tacked on afterwards and you can't really go back to the well of "realizing who you truly are and rejecting the role the world has forced on you" more than once because you've already rung that bell.  General themes and ideas are still behind the core of everything though.  An omnipresent system exists to force you into the what they have decided you want to be, you have a constant sense that this isn't correct which makes the entire world feel wrong, what is in your mind matters far more than your body, etc.  

11 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It explains so much

about why they stopped going by “the Wachowski Brothers”. I never paid attention. Just figured removing “brothers” was less of a mouthful in advertising and press. 

Well yeah and then they started going by female names, Lana and Lilly

I never knew their former names. I only knew them by “the Wachowski Brothers”. It’s all the same to me. Matrix was good. The other two not so much. And I liked Speed Racer.  

all this means is one of the most influential movies of all time was written and directed by women. So...mission accomplished, we have reached representation. :p

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It explains so much 

about why they stopped going by “the Wachowski Brothers”. I never paid attention. Just figured removing “brothers” was less of a mouthful in advertising and press. 

They didn't transition at the same time so I think they were trying to avoid "Wachowski Siblings",

The Matrix doesn’t have a single interpretation. I think pretending that The Matrix can only represent one thing and one thing only takes away the beauty of that movie. There’s so much going on that it’s possible to have completely different, yet still valid, takeaways.. There’s enough religious symbolism and nods to suggest its a story about spiritual enlightenment, for example.

However, one can’t deny that The Wachowski’s experiences as queer people played a big part in the the themes they were trying to express. Switch was originally supposed to be a different gender in The Matrix than in the real world, which would have been the most obvious evidence if the studio didn’t force that change. Also, one the sisters Has talked about how she nearly committed suicided by letting a train run her over. She mentions how she had so much shame about her identity but on the train tracks she had an awakening on who she was - she regained the will to live. The movie’s turning point is on the train tracks. It’s when Neo truly becomes the one. Agent Smith is holding him down and trying to let the subway run them over before Neo truly believes in himself and is the one. It’s where he truly adopts his new identity as Neo - he even corrects Agent Smith by saying “My name is Neo!” before becoming self-actualized.

The movie is about having the bravery and insight into being your true self; your true self that can be different inside your head compared to how you look. That can absolutely be read in several ways, and art interpretation is always personal, but I think at this point the creative spark being clearly rooted in transitioning genders is an inarguable fact.

Hell, we did a whole podcast on it, did you miss it?

12 hours ago, Anathema- said:

The movie is about having the bravery and insight into being your true self; your true self that can be different inside your head compared to how you look. That can absolutely be read in several ways, and art interpretation is always personal, but I think at this point the creative spark being clearly rooted in transitioning genders is an inarguable fact.

Hell, we did a whole podcast on it, did you miss it?

Inarguable fact? The Wachowskis themselves have never said that so let’s not put words in their mouths.

It’s more than just a personal interpretation. The first movie is basically a retelling of Plato’s Allegory of the Cave. It’s about questioning reality and learning to look beyond the physical realm, which yes, does certainly relate to queerness, but not exclusively. As a spiritual queer person I love that the queer reading of the matrix has become more accepted, but also feel it’s being embraced by atheists as a way of downplaying the very clear spiritual/mystical content in the movie.