Tenet - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09/03/20)

47 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

They would make significantly more money if they released it on streaming first. Or simultaneously. 

There is literally no evidence of this being true. It could be, or it might not. Uncharted waters.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

There is literally no evidence of this being true. It could be, or it might not. Uncharted waters.

There is a little bit: https://www.slashfilm.com/trolls-world-tour-vod-sales/

Charge more than $20. No competition. The first tent pole released straight to VOD. Literally everything in its favor. 

On the other side, releasing internationally first will only lead to rampant piracy, and I’d be surprised if 10% of moviegoers return to the theater in September. They’re going to take a huge hit. 

It all just seems rather goofy all because Nolan demands 70mm. 

I can understand and respect Nolan, or any filmmaker, not wanting to release their movie to streaming first, and insisting that it comes to theatres first. The movie was shot and edited to be seen on the biggest screen possible, with ear shattering sound. It's a spectacle movie. However, just don't force it out until the pandemic is completely died down. Once there's a vaccine even. I can wait. There's a bunch of other movies that I'm waiting on too, like Mulan, Black Widow, A Quiet Place Part II, etc. I can wait for this.

Although I do find it a little funny that other countries have been handling the pandemic much better, and are in a better position to re-open their theatres, but because of the idiots in charge of America fucking up on the regular, as a sort of punishment, America is getting this movie last.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the term sheet from Warners. This movie is definitely going. 8 week minimum engagement for 3-8 screen theaters. Normal minimums for WB flicks is 2 weeks.

Most industry estimates have it opening in single digits to low 10s domestically.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Also, it will actually start 8/31 with screenings in the evenings only before opening unrestricted 9/4.

This term sheet is WILD 😂

That's insane. I love hearing the ins and outs of being a theater owner and your relationships with the movie houses. Thanks for being a poster here. Haha

Apparently AT&T wanted to either go PVOD or hold the flick until June/July 2021. Warner went back and forth with them for two months before arriving at this whacky scheme.

Movie theaters still aren't open in NY or LA which are the two biggest markets in The States. It's interesting because NY has gotten the pandemic down to South Korean levels and is opening up Gyms. It probably could open movie theaters with certain limitations but they haven't yet. No word on when theaters will open in Jersey either.

Again, maybe it’s because I work in a building with hundreds of people every day,  but I don’t feel like sitting in a theater at 25-30% capacity is like playing Russian Roulette. The AMC I usually go to has reserved seating and well-spaced recliner seats. I’m not going to be rubbing shoulders with anyone. 

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Again, maybe it’s because I work in a building with hundreds of people every day,  but I don’t feel like sitting in a theater at 25-30% capacity is like playing Russian Roulette. The AMC I usually go to has reserved seating and well-spaced recliner seats. I’m not going to be rubbing shoulders with anyone. 

People are going to have their masks off so they can eat and drink their concessions, and it doesn't take long for everyone's COVID breath to spread out and fill the room.

47 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Apparently AT&T wanted to either go PVOD or hold the flick until June/July 2021. Warner went back and forth with them for two months before arriving at this whacky scheme.

Why do I get the feeling that this is far from the last time that AT&T and Warner disagree about movie distribution?

I have to imagine that there are analysts looking at that WarnerMedia revenue number and thinking it would be just fine to cut a little off there if the much bigger Mobility number can go up. Hell, right now WarnerMedia makes about as much money as cable TV does for AT&T.

Still hoping that the local drive in gets it. I think that's probably my best bet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, number305 said:

What are the odds I can watch this in my house before the end of the year?

100%

The only question is how long before. I think the handshake agreement here is 90 days., but if it ends up being terrible for theaters to be open, it's in everybody's interest to kick it out and move on to the next flick.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

100%

The only question is how long before. I think the handshake agreement here is 90 days., but if it ends up being terrible for theaters to be open, it's in everybody's interest to kick it out and move on to the next flick.

That is brutal... Have you seen this yet?  I'm guessing during normal times this would be close to a billion dollar movie.

I keep checking my Regal & Fandango apps almost daily for if/when movies will be shown and still nothing at all (live in NYS) so this sucks. I miss the hell out of the theater experience and really want to get back to another routine of normalcy for my life regardless of whatever precautions are in place.

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

I keep checking my Regal & Fandango apps almost daily for if/when movies will be shown and still nothing at all (live in NYS) so this sucks. I miss the hell out of the theater experience and really want to get back to another routine of normalcy for my life regardless of whatever precautions are in place.

My understanding from various sources is NYS is currently planning to keep cinemas closed until January 2021. Could be sooner, but that is the inclination of the governor's office.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

My understanding from various sources is NYS is currently planning to keep cinemas closed until January 2021. Could be sooner, but that is the inclination of the governor's office.

SHUT...THE...FRONT DOOR! Are you freaking KIDDING ME!? How/when/where/why did you hear this!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

SHUT...THE...FRONT DOOR! Are you freaking KIDDING ME!? How/when/where/why did you hear this!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

One of my industry pals is a lobbyist for NATO NY and has been pressing to get theaters open. He is not confident that you'll be able to enter a movie theater before 2021 there. Also, the lawsuit in NJ got thrown out and that would likely have been the basis for litigation moving forward in other states.

All of the drama behind this has left a bad taste in my mouth. At this point, does releasing it in theaters even make sense for keeping something in the conversation? A big release  like Hamilton on Disney + feels like the kind of pandemic streaming event WB should be aiming for with Tenet.

44 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

All of the drama behind this has left a bad taste in my mouth. At this point, does releasing it in theaters even make sense for keeping something in the conversation? A big release  like Hamilton on Disney + feels like the kind of pandemic streaming event WB should be aiming for with Tenet.

Hamilton with a low $11.5 Million budget is easier to write off compared to Tenet with a $205 Million budget.