Tenet - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09/03/20)

Releasing the movie in Fortnite would be really cool if I was back in highschool and I played Fortnite. Like, my friends and I loved the party share thing Netflix had when it first launched on the 360. It was cool watching your little avatars in their seats before the movie started. 

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Slight update: 9/2 or 9/9, barring something drastically changing they will be going on one of those dates no matter what states are open or closed. The rest of their late summer/early fall stuff will slide though as they want to give Tenet every opportunity to make money.

Why not just release it on a Monday?

5 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

And screening on Pirate Bay 8/27.

But seriously the anti mask sentiment in Utah alone would make this the number one box office pandemic hit. People here of all ages just do not care. They'd probably go out of spite or something.

It will be on Pirates Bay 8/25 more than likely.

37 minutes ago, johnny said:

They could charge 50 dollars to stream it and I’ll buy it. My friend has a boner for Christopher Nolan so he might even pay the full 50 himself and I won’t even need to split it. 

People do it all the time for UFC fights that last 2 seconds so why not a movie you could watch as many times as you want?

3 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Meanwhile, apparently China has a 2 hour limit on movies now?

The first good idea China has had in regards to movies!

23 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Slight update: 9/2 or 9/9, barring something drastically changing they will be going on one of those dates no matter what states are open or closed. The rest of their late summer/early fall stuff will slide though as they want to give Tenet every opportunity to make money.

There is this little network of three independent theaters here in Cincinnati. One focuses on major new releases, one does mainly indie/foreign films, and the third is somewhere in between (mostly catering to older audiences). They all opened back up in limited capacity this summer, but the one that would carry all the new blockbusters closed back down because, well, there aren’t any new blockbusters, and I guess they weren’t getting by with showing Jaws and Jurassic Park like all the drive-ins were doing. 

I guess what I’m saying is, I know at least one theater that would literally be saved by Tenet.

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I guess what I’m saying is, I know at least one theater that would literally be saved by Tenet.

I am very skeptical that any even moderately large percentage of customers will return to indoor theaters in the US market given current circumstances. I’ve been bouncing back and forth on whether or not to bother trying to reopen my indoor if Tenet does go September 2/9...I don’t know. It seems like it will remain incredibly slow for the balance of the year even if we get good new product.

36 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I am very skeptical that any even moderately large percentage of customers will return to indoor theaters in the US market given current circumstances. I’ve been bouncing back and forth on whether or not to bother trying to reopen my indoor if Tenet does go September 2/9...I don’t know. It seems like it will remain incredibly slow for the balance of the year even if we get good new product.

My guess would be that the first weekend would do very well.  I think there are enough people that want to go out - and many of them are the anti facemask people.  I think they would sell out theaters for a week or so.  I just think it would not have much legs and attendance would quickly drop off after the people who are willing to go out see it.  

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I actually thought The Irishman did a lot with its 3 1/2 hours! Same with Amadeus' three.

Most 3+ hour movies scare the shit out of me, though.

Oddly enough, it’s not usually the three hour long movies that annoy me. It’s the stuff around 2:15-2:20 that could easily been 1:50 without a lick of effort. I LOVE 90 minute runtimes. I think that amount time is a real challenge to filmmakers to be efficient with their time.

But there are great movies of all lengths!

As I mentioned when the indefinite delay news dropped, they are going 9/2 where they can domestically, and starting the week before overseas.

Just release it on streaming platforms, you chode, and we’ll see it in theaters when we can get in there without being concerned that it might kill us. We all know what we’re getting into, some BWAAAAAAAAAAHs, shitty treatment of shallow female characters (assuming there are any female characters at all), dope special effects, and an audio mix that renders the dialogue unintelligible. Let me give you my money, I’m one of the six people who saw Memento in the theaters. You owe me, Nolan.

• Haha 2