Tenet - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09/03/20)

40 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Couple of things... "From The Director of Dark Knight, Inception and Dunkirk." just ignored Dark Knight Returns and Interstellar, huh? Also John David Washington sound just like his father in some of those scenes. Movie looks awesone and I would LOVE to see this on the big screen... but I don't think it's gonna happen unless I KNEW I was gonna be in there by myself :p

It said The Dark Knight Trilogy. 

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Couple of things... "From The Director of Dark Knight, Inception and Dunkirk." just ignored Dark Knight Returns and Interstellar, huh? Also John David Washington sound just like his father in some of those scenes. Movie looks awesone and I would LOVE to see this on the big screen... but I don't think it's gonna happen unless I KNEW I was gonna be in there by myself :p

I would really appreciate it if they took the time to list every one of his films. Go all the way back to Following. Make people remember that Insomnia exists. 

And I definitely remember hearing some Denzel in BlacKkKlansman. :lol:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Well it says The Dark Knight with Trilogy underneath that. Plus they are all sole Warner Bros Nolan Productions and not split between them and Paramount like Interstellar. Although I’m with you on him sounding just like his dad

It really does seem like Nolan’s thought process was, ‘if I take Inception and make it even more nonsensical, I can do even more ridiculous set pieces’, and I am living for it. What other director out there has blown up a monorail, hospital, football stadium, and a 747? Dude is straight up waging war on modern infrastructure. 

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2020 at 3:05 AM, Brick said:

It was only a few months ago that someone at work mentioned how he's Denzel's son, and I was like, he is? Then I remembered back to BlackKklansman, and his voice, and how much he sounds like Denzel, oh shit he is! 

I noticed the similarity when I saw him on Ballers. I looked it up and turns out I wasn’t being racist and he is Denzel’s son. He does look like him.

Have it from a really solid source that Warner is eyeing November 2020 or June 2021 at this point. Bummmmer. If it does slip, the whole calendar in 2020 falls by the wayside.

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Have it from a really solid source that Warner is eyeing November 2020 or June 2021 at this point. Bummmmer. If it does slip, the whole calendar in 2020 falls by the wayside.

Makes sense... no way the country would be ready to go back to the movies this summer and would they really want to risk it? Your major markets are still under quarantine and with a reported 200 million dollar budget could they take the risk of releasing the film and a portion of the audience who would normally be there day one staying home?

Got an email from our sales manager at Warner today asking us to fill out a questionnaire about when we are opening, capacity, and desire to play Tenet.

Cant imagine they don’t announce the decision to hold or move by middle of next week if they are now trying to get concrete data like this.

AMC CEO uncertain about NY release

AMC Entertainment CEO Adam Aron believes New York City’s arduous recovery from COVID-19 leaves an uncertain outlook for theaters there being ready to play Warner Bros.’ Tenet when it opens July 17. The global footprint of AMC locations is aiming to welcome the Christopher Nolan-directed release, Aron said on a conference call with Wall Street analysts, though he repeatedly called the situation “fluid.” As of Monday night, he said, Warner Bros. remained committed to its date, as Disney is to July 24 with Mulan.

“Based on current expectations, New York State is supposed to open broadly in early July, ahead of Tenet. New York City will be right on the cusp,” Aron said. “That assumes that Tenet holds on July 17, and that’s a decision that’s being made in a different board room than ours.”

Rerelease of Inception will now go on September 17th

Warner Bros.’ Christopher Nolan movie Tenet officially is moving to July 31. Instead on July 17, Warner Bros. Pictures is partnering with exhibitors to invite audiences around the world to the 10th anniversary re-release of Nolan’s Inception, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page and Marion Cotillard. That special anniversary theatrical event also will give audiences a never-before-seen look at footage from Tenet and an exclusive sneak peek of select films on Warner Bros.’ upcoming slate.

There’s been a high degree of suspense and scrutiny in the media over the past month as to whether Tenet would move. This is a little bit of a nudge, nothing alarmingly dramatic. A $200M production like Tenet, which doesn’t boast the starry cast that Inception did, needs the world to make bank and enough runway to promote. We heard that if Manhattan is closed, and the other boroughs are not, Tenet still could proceed. The other upside to Tenet‘s move is that major sports might be back by mid-July, but there aren’t any hard dates. MLB and its players’ union remain stuck, not over safety issues but prorated pay. NHL training camps begin July 10. NBA owners have voted for a July 31 restart of the season but is waiting for the players to sign off on it. UFC, WWE, NASCAR and pro golf already are back.

If this movie, or any other movie releases in July/August... it will bomb. And if we get hit with a second wave come Fall/Winter, any movie that releases before a viable vaccine is available to the masses will bomb.

There’s really no reason not to shelve these movies. It happens all the time. And since productions for the next round of movies still hasn’t really ramped up, it’s not like they’ll have more movies to compete with next year. 

But like someone else said above—if they really want to release this year, do a simultaneous theatrical and streaming release. I’ll pay $30 to rent Tenet if streaming is available the day it hits theaters. I’m sure a lot of other people would, too. Tenet would make Trolls look like pocket change.