Tenet - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09/03/20)

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

He knows full well there's a fifty percent chance that "he" (the one stepping into the machine) could be the one who falls into the tank and does it anyway. He says it at the end of the movie... musing about what it took to step into that machine every. night not knowing if he would be the one in the box or in the prestige (or something to that effect). That's how driven he was because he was willing to risk death.

Yes, the uncertainty is what allows him the fortitude to get in! If he knew he might make a different decision. Cutter says something in the final moments along the lines of the audience members don’t actually want to know how the trick is done. Angier doesn’t want to know either.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Yes, the uncertainty is what allows him the fortitude to get in! If he knew he might make a different decision. Cutter says something in the final moments along the lines of the audience members don’t actually want to know how the trick is done. Angier doesn’t want to know either.

After the gun incident and the presumable first drowning in the first show, I agree - Angier no longer cares and probably doesn't even want to know anymore himself. If he works it out, then he (and we) know, and that's scary. Better to just take the risk. This is, in part, why I find Angier's journey and story so much more riveting than Bale's, and why I think all the things he does are all way less bad than what the Bale's do.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Sure he does... he  literally spends the whole movie trying to discover the secret to Borden's trick and he comes up with one better. Micheal Cain's dialogue at the end of the film is a continuation of what Angier's last words are. Nolan's commentary on filmmaking and how the audience just wants to believe in magic even if they know its fake. The film gets very meta at the end. 

4 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

REGARDING TENET :p

The soundtrack is by Ludwig Göransson who did the soundtracks for Black Panther, Creed, and The Mandalorian.  I'm DEFINITELY interested in hearing it now and thank goodness it's not Hans Zimmer again!

:lol: Sooo... Are you planning on seeing it in theaters? Are theaters open in the DMV?

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sure he does... he  literally spends the whole movie trying to discover the secret to Borden's trick and he comes up with one better. Micheal Cain's dialogue at the end of the film is a continuation of what Angier's last words are. Nolan's commentary on filmmaking and how the audience just wants to believe in magic even if they know its fake. The film gets very meta at the end. 

Angier certainly doesn’t want to know how HIS trick works. Not knowing is critical to his willingness to get in the machine.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Angier certainly doesn’t want to know how HIS trick works. Not knowing is critical to his willingness to get in the machine.

Because his trick isn't a trick... it's actual magic (or what they percieved to be magic but was actually really weird science). There's no way for him to know because Tesla doesn't even know how it works. And rememebr Micheal Cain reffered to Tesla as a "Wizard" not a magician because Tesla's scientific achievements SEEMED like actual magic to them and not simple trickery.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Because his trick isn't a trick... it's actual magic (or what they percieved to be magic but was actually really weird science). There's no way for him to know because Tesla doesn't even know how it works. And rememebr Micheal Cain reffered to Tesla as a "Wizard" not a magician because Tesla's scientific achievements SEEMED like actual magic to them and not simple trickery.

Its a magic trick. it still involves a mechanism hidden from the audience to make them believe something has occurred that hasn’t. Nobody is transported, but that is what the audience is meant to believe.

The difference here is that the magician also doesn’t know, and like the audience doesn’t really want to know...but for really different reasons.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Its a magic trick. it still involves a mechanism hidden from the audience to make them believe something has occurred that hasn’t. Nobody is transported, but that is what the audience is meant to believe.

The difference here is that the magician also doesn’t know, and like the audience doesn’t really want to know...but for really different reasons.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear Angier doesn't actively want to know how his trick works. He finds all he needs to know with that first time where he does try to figure it out - with the chalk and the gun. He tried it, was horrified (rightfully so, to some degree), and said: "nope, let's just do the trick and go after Bale". He could have experimented heavily with it, monetized it, a billion different things, but instead he just does his plan and hides the fact it creates duplicates from everyone.

That's not a man who wants to know how it works with any more specificity than what had already been tried (and failed). He definitely wanted to know Borden's trick, but he was told from jump street from Cutter that it's twins, which it is. It was, hilariously, too unbelievable for Angier, who ends up with the unbelievable with a duplicate machine. The numerous amounts of dramatic irony in the film is enormous (drowning, the unbelievable, who was the better magician, etc.) (in a good way). The fact Jackman had kidnapped Fallon is particularly ironic since that was Borden's secret - a twin brother - and he had him captured and buried alive. Jackman had no idea what he had - he had the truth right in front of his face and he missed it, but it did lead to the duplicate machine (again, accidentally thanks to Borden, hilariously) so it benefitted him ultimately, but he could have satiated his curiosity about Borden's secret way earlier.

Edit: Additional irony: Tesla is so wanting for money (I really respect Tesla and history did him dirty, so it's a shame) that he never even tells Angier at any point that he has nothing to do with Borden's trick. Tesla knows why Angier came there, so to not tell him is pretty fucked up. :p 

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

We'll agree to diagree here because while no one is getting transported, the machine is creating a WHOLE OTHER PERSON. Angier just dresses that up as a magic trick when it was REALLY super science. Why else do you think Micheal Cain referred to Tesla as " A Wizard?" It was to differentiate from what Tesla does (Actual magic/science) vs what THEY do (sleight of hand/tricks) This is an important distinction because while Borden was the better magician/ Angeir was was the better showman. he knew how to dress the trick up. No he didn't know how the actual machine worked, but he knew how his trick worked because he dressed it up that way.THAT was what was important to him... and receiving the accolades from the audience.

Receiving the accolades is part of what drives him, it’s why he isn’t content with using a double. It’s also part of the reason he doesn’t want to know. He can always believe when he enters the machine that he will be up on the balcony getting the praise. If he is down in the tank he’s no better off than when he was doing it with the double.

48 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm definitely not braving a theater in this Covid climate to see Tenet. Will look for other ways though. :p 

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wish you a safe journey lol! Nolan will be pleased.

Oh, don't worry - I will be fully masked for the duration and I will personally sanitize the seat!

Also, to be clear about me with Bale's characters in the Prestige - I think he's fantastically acted and I like his storyline too. When he one ups the bullying prison guard by locking his leg to a shackle is one of my favorite "fun" magician moments from the film (among many great Bale moments). Bale's great - I was just talking from, like, a moral perspective.

Also the whole movie is quotable. Tesla alone, by the great Bowie, going: "nothing is impossible Mr. Angier. what you want is simply expensive" may be the most scientist/inventor thing to say of all time. And it's awesome. A true scientist would truly believe nothing is impossible, it just hasn't been figured out yet, and because of capitalism and life, it will be expensive. How right he was. The man guessed wifi long before its time.

What Bale misses is the fact that Jackman is incepted (haha) by the idea of living the act all the time. Her's told once by Cutter and once by Scar Jo that Borden's act is identical twins, but he refuses. It drives him to get the duplicate machine, something truly never seen before. Jackman exceeds Bale, for all of Bale's "for the art" mentality. When Bale incepts the idea to Jackman that a true magician lives and goes beyond the act with the Chinese magician, it never stops for Jackman afterward. He's incepted and he'll never believe that with Bale it's "just" twins. He wanted to believe in real magic, and genuinely finds it. "It's just . . . you want something more."

I think WB is making a huge mistake not just pushing this to next year. People are going to be hesitant seeing this movie with a pandemic still going on, and it's just going to drive more people to pirate it. 

Also what's wrong with Hans Zimmer? I love his music, although I am looking forward to hearing the score from Göransson.