Tenet - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09/03/20)

54 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

All of the drama behind this has left a bad taste in my mouth. At this point, does releasing it in theaters even make sense for keeping something in the conversation? A big release  like Hamilton on Disney + feels like the kind of pandemic streaming event WB should be aiming for with Tenet.

Take a look at how well WB planned the DC Fandom event & there you go! Also, Remarkable made another good point.

18 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Hamilton with a low $11.5 Million budget is easier to write off compared to Tenet with a $205 Million budget.

I mean the movie is gonna lose money regardless, at least domestically. Maybe it would be better to try and make a cultural splash rather than barely create a ripple.

13 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I mean the movie is gonna lose money regardless, at least domestically. Maybe it would be better to try and make a cultural splash rather than barely create a ripple.

A movie can’t lose money in just one market. Warner is going for a few things though. They want to recoup as much of their investment as possible. They want to help exhibition get back on its feet.

Neither of those things are accomplished by putting the movie out at no additional cost to their HBO Max subscribers like Disney did with Hamilton.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

A movie can’t lose money in just one market. Warner is going for a few things though. They want to recoup as much of their investment as possible. They want to help exhibition get back on its feet.

Neither of those things are accomplished by putting the movie out at no additional cost to their HBO Max subscribers like Disney did with Hamilton.

I’m not pretending to be knowledgeable about the business I’m just openly ruminating about how to release something and make it be a cultural splash in 2020, as opposed to other years when there isn’t a deadly pandemic.

On 8/18/2020 at 5:06 PM, number305 said:

What are the odds I can watch this in my house before the end of the year?

Shit you'll be able to watch it in your house before the end of the MONTH... cat costume GIF

On 8/18/2020 at 7:08 PM, Remarkableriots said:

Hamilton with /a low $11.5 Million budget is easier to write off compared to Tenet with a $205 Million budget.

What about Mulan? Disney is releasing that on Disney + and you STILL have to pay 30 bucks to see it even if you're a subscriber. A lot of this is about Nolan's ego and "cinematic snobbery" to be honest as much as I hate to admit. Mulan has a 200 million dollar budget by the way.

Some interesting stats from Darkhorizons:

On Metacritic the film sits at 71/100 which falls slightly behind “Inception” and “Interstellar” on 74/100 each but above “Batman Begins” (70) and “The Prestige” (66). This doesn’t appear to be a divisive picture, but critics are definitely cool on it.

I think The Prestige is probably my favorite non Bat-verse Nolan film (which aren't his best films by a long show anyways). So, with Tenet being reviewed better I'm actually more excited to see it now.

The Prestige was not understood at the time, yet it really is one of Nolan's best/most riveting films. I think people had a problem with the central conceit/machine at the source of the film's strangely weird sci-fi plot twist in an otherwise relatively realistic period piece about magicians. I remember my best friend and I at the time leaving the theater, loving the film but not being able to get past that issue. On a second viewing, all was well and the movie become a classic for me.

Once one gets over that though, the film is amazing. My guess is The Prestige would have a much higher rating if it came out closer to today, maybe a better score than Tenet.

• Like 1

I never got the critique that Nolan's films lack warmth. The Prestige, Inception and Interestellar are all, in my view, very personal films for him with big high concept plots wrapped around them. In each film the main character's conflict revolves around him trying to wrestle with his mission/career/calling vs his love of his family usually personified in a parent child relationship. I suspect his career as a director led him to be absent for a lot of milestones in his children's lives and he clearly wrestles with that in his films. His work OOOZES with his love for his kids and you can almost see his films as being love letters to them as if he's saying "I really AM doing all of this for you and when you watch these movies you'll see that." Interstellar, while flawed, has some very moving scenes with The main character and his children... the film basically says that LOVE (specifically the love of a father for his daughter) is a tangible energy that can be felt across dimensions and space and time and not just an abstract social construct. I don't know how someone who makes a sci-fi film that is that high concept yet is that personal can be accused of being cold and emotionless, critiques I've heard used against him in the past.

I definitely agree that the Prestige is one of his best films, but for me his best most complete film would be Inception with The Prestige being a close second. Dunkirk is his best crafted movie in my opinion, which says a lot because ALL of his films are very well crafted. Inception is just the complete package for me that overcomes its flaws when viewed as a whole.

• Thanks 1

I really feel Mulan will be that watershed moment. They’re charging $30 for the movie, and it’s going to both make bank and get more D+ subscribers, while Tenet flails at the US box office. The big movie streaming will come rapid soon after. 

With Tenet, it makes 100% sense to release it digital at whatever $30/40, and offer a discount to AT&T customers. I mean, people have been paying far more for far less for years with boxing. 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The Prestige was not understood at the time, yet it really is one of Nolan's best/most riveting films. I think people had a problem with the central conceit/machine at the source of the film's strangely weird sci-fi plot twist in an otherwise relatively realistic period piece about magicians. I remember my best friend and I at the time leaving the theater, loving the film but not being able to get past that issue. On a second viewing, all was well and the movie become a classic for me.

Once one gets over that though, the film is amazing. My guess is The Prestige would have a much higher rating if it came out closer to today, maybe a better score than Tenet.

I remember more than a few people online seeming unsure if Bale or Jackman was supposed to be the bad guy. I don’t get it. 

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I remember more than a few people online seeming unsure if Bale or Jackman was supposed to be the bad guy. I don’t get it. 

They were BOTH the bad guys because of their obsessions and it cost them everything. That was the point of the movie 

Spoiler

One of the Bale Character's twins (the one who was executed who loved Scarlett Johanssen) couldn't let go of his rivalry with Jackman's character. It ended up losing him Scarjo and getting him executed.The other Twin gets his daughter back and (presumably) lives happily ever after.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They were BOTH the bad guys because of their obsessions and it cost them everything. That was the point of the movie 

Reveal hidden contents

One of the Bale Character's twins (the one who was executed who loved Scarlett Johanssen) couldn't let go of his rivalry with Jackman's character. It ended up losing him Scarjo and getting him executed.The other Twin gets his daughter back and (presumably) lives happily ever after.

Right, I should have gone further... I’m laid up in the hospital with a broken ankle waiting to be released so I’m bored. :|

I meant some people seemed to think that Jackman was not killing people because clones or something I could never understand. Neither are angels of course but Jackman seems pretty objectively worse. 

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Right, I should have gone further... I’m laid up in the hospital with a broken ankle waiting to be released so I’m bored. :|

I meant some people seemed to think that Jackman was not killing people because clones or something I could never understand. Neither are angels of course but Jackman seems pretty objectively worse. 

Damn sorry about the ankle... 

Spoiler

Jackman was basically killing himself over and over again. That's how deep his obsession was. He did it 100 times I think drowing duplicates of himself in order to frame Bale's character. It was maniacal and was the ultimate one-up in ruthlessness. He was also driven by the death of his wife so...

• Thanks 1

You also gotta remember that the original Jackman died the first time he used the machine. So the replicants of him that came after were constructions of the original's anger and evilness that the machine kept replicating over and over (possibly with even more anger and evil being replicated in to each body as his clones kept being made). Each Jackman cared less and less about the magic, the people, and his own life as you saw him being solely focused on ruining Bale...

43 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I was wondering why your post quality has decreased. Must be the painkillers :thinking:

I didn’t take any other than the lidocaine when they reset the bone and fentanyl while that was happening. Turns out that EMTs that ride with you in the ambulance LOVE to recommend a lot of fentanyl tho.

13 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Been awhile since Ive seen the film but thats something thats never made clear, even Jackman says he never knows which one he is.

Whichever one he is, it's clear that the first time he used the machine the Jackman that got killed was the one who appeared away from it. But during the performances, it was the clone who stayed in the machine that got dropped into the water tank and killed. So at the very least, the whichever the real Jackman is ended up dead before the end of the movie came about since both types of clones have died at least once (the one away and the one inside).

3 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Whichever one he is, it's clear that the first time he used the machine the Jackman that got killed was the one who appeared away from it. But during the performances, it was the clone who stayed in the machine that got dropped into the water tank and killed. So at the very least, the whichever the real Jackman is ended up dead before the end of the movie came about.

Confused John Cena | Know Your Meme

14 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

That would be me and I'm still more on Jackman's side than Bale's. Killing yourself over and over and a clone taking your place isn't a bad deed, in my opinion. That's a choice for yourself. Jackman's level of pain over the death of his wife was something very relatable, whilst the dual Bale's were hurting two women at the same time and never gave Jackman a straight answer, which would drive anyone crazy. Jackman was a good dude that the Bale's twisted.

Also, Dunkirk is indeed his best film.