Jump to content

Tenet - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09/03/20)


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm trying to figure out if it's Nolan or the studio that is pushing this so hard.

It’s Nolan. The studio wants to move it to November from what my contacts in the theatrical distribution are saying.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It’s Nolan. The studio wants to move it to November from what my contacts in the theatrical distribution are saying.

That's what I thought, but at the same time I'm surprised even he has sufficient pull to bully the studio like that. Is WB must be worried that he'd go somewhere else in the future for them to be willing to risk so much money by releasing this too soon.

 

No one has any real numbers, but I imagine they're hoping for Inception like numbers of $300M+ domestic, $800M+ WW. It's impossible to imagine getting anywhere near that this summer. Either they're willing to sacrifice some cash to keep Nolan happy, or there are some yes men in WB that aren't being honest in their projections.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t really imagine how someone like Christopher Nolan must be feeling. He’s obviously very passionate about the movies he makes. He spent so much time on this movie only for it to not get the release he was hoping for. But this situation doesn’t make him look good. Like, at all. At best he’s delusional for thinking now is a good time for his movie to be put out there. At worst he’s uncaring for the amount of people who will be put in danger just to see his movie.

 

It’s disappointing, but he always seemed to have a right wing bent based on his Batman movies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, TwinIon said:

I'm trying to figure out if it's Nolan or the studio that is pushing this so hard.

 

On 6/25/2020 at 8:30 PM, sblfilms said:

It’s Nolan. The studio wants to move it to November from what my contacts in the theatrical distribution are saying.

Yeah it's been him the whole time. This film will probably not be released this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I can’t really imagine how someone like Christopher Nolan must be feeling. He’s obviously very passionate about the movies he makes. He spent so much time on this movie only for it to not get the release he was hoping for. But this situation doesn’t make him look good. Like, at all. At best he’s delusional for thinking now is a good time for his movie to be put out there. At worst he’s uncaring for the amount of people who will be put in danger just to see his movie.

 

It’s disappointing, but he always seemed to have a right wing bent based on his Batman movies.

 

I remember the conversations about his politics, but I don't think he's actually right-wing. He donated to Obama in 2012. And when being interviewed about TDKR, I remember he was very clear that it wasn't the message that was dangerous, but the person weaponizing it by taking advantage of people's natural distrust for the powerful. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

 

I remember the conversations about his politics, but I don't think he's actually right-wing. He donated to Obama in 2012. And when being interviewed about TDKR, I remember he was very clear that it wasn't the message that was dangerous, but the person weaponizing it by taking advantage of people's natural distrust for the powerful. 


I’m not saying he’s right-wing, but that his movies often seem to support certain conservative ideals. One could read The Dark Knight as a support for Patriot Act era surveillance. Batman himself is a fascist cop who uses force, fear, and “advanced interrogation” in order to serve what he deems as justice. The movies go back and fort on whether his actions are justified but I think ultimately the movies side with him. By the third movie he’s made into a symbol of hope.

 

And now Nolan was to push theaters to open early just to play his movie. Yeah, this just doesn’t sit well with me, especially with the conservative bent of his Batman movies.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 9:47 PM, sexy_shapiro said:


I’m not saying he’s right-wing, but that his movies often seem to support certain conservative ideals. One could read The Dark Knight as a support for Patriot Act era surveillance. Batman himself is a fascist cop who uses force, fear, and “advanced interrogation” in order to serve what he deems as justice.

 

That's the problem with Batman's character PERIOD. That's not Nolan's interpretation, that's the essence of what the character is and different writers either try to write around that, subvert it or overtly embrace it. I think Nolan confronts it head on and leaves it up to the viewer to decide but that's just me. 

 

Quote

The movies go back and fort on whether his actions are justified but I think ultimately the movies side with him.

 The Dark Knight actually DOESN'T side with him. He doesn't even trust himself  with that amount of power and delegates the operation of the cell-phone surveillance to Lucius Fox who was wholly against the idea. He entrusted Lucius to destroy the machine once the threat was over so I think at the very least, Nolan's Batman has limits and Nolan's interpretation, at least in this movie, is that while sometimes extraordinary means may be necessary in order to stop a larger threat, NO ONE should ultimately have that amount of power over a free population. In fact in Nolan's Batman movies, free will amongst the citizens is a constant theme that is reinforced.

 

Quote

By the third movie he’s made into a symbol of hope

 

Which for Nolan is the only justifiable reason for a character like Batman it exist. It's a stretch because Batman's character does NOT represent hope... he represents FEAR. Superman is more of a hopeful, inspirational figure. I think the fact that Nolan shoehorned that characterization in shows me about his personal politics than what Batman's character is about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

 

That's the problem with Batman's character PERIOD. That's not Nolan's interpretation, that's the essence of what the character is and different writers either try to write around that, subvert it or overtly embrace it. I think Nolan confronts it head on and leaves it up to the viewer to decide but that's just me. 

 

 The Dark Knight actually DOESN'T side with him. He doesn't even trust himself  with that amount of power and delegates the operation of the cell-phone surveillance to Lucius Fox who was wholly against the idea. He entrusted Lucius to destroy the machine once the threat was over so I think at the very least, Nolan's Batman has limits and Nolan's interpretation, at least in this movie, is that while sometimes extraordinary means may be necessary in order to stop a larger threat, NO ONE should ultimately have that amount of power over a free population. In fact in Nolan's Batman movies, free will amongst the citizens is a constant theme that is reinforced.

 

 

Which for Nolan is the only justifiable reason for a character like Batman it exist. It's a stretch because Batman's character does NOT represent hope... he represents FEAR. Superman is more of a hopeful, inspirational figure. I think the fact that Nolan shoehorned that characterization in shows me about his personal politics than what Batman's character is about.


I don’t wanna derail this into a Dark Knight Trilogy debate. My interpretation of The Dark Knight was always that Batman methods may be questionable, but they still worked and maybe questionable methods are needed in extraordinary times. It’s a grey message, but a message that resonated with audiences during the Bush era. I will just say that a LOT of Bush voters felt validated after seeing that movie. Maybe they are wrong, but the movie doesn’t harshly rebuke Batman enough IMO.

 

But I’m FAR more interested in discussing how Nolan wants to push a major movie out soon, that will potentially bring in crowds and infect more people. That is honestly more damning and worth discussing than the Bush-era politics of The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight didn’t kill anyone. Releasing Tenet in the summer will. That’s morally wrong of him, and I think less of him for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

From my people on the inside: The new date is most likely 9/9 or 9/11 and they are just gonna toss the thing out to whoever is open because they are banking on international plus long legs.

 

BoldStrategyCotton.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Slight update: 9/2 or 9/9, barring something drastically changing they will be going on one of those dates no matter what states are open or closed. The rest of their late summer/early fall stuff will slide though as they want to give Tenet every opportunity to make money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Slight update: 9/2 or 9/9, barring something drastically changing they will be going on one of those dates no matter what states are open or closed. The rest of their late summer/early fall stuff will slide though as they want to give Tenet every opportunity to make money.

Someone MUST have said something about releasing a movie with a terrorism-based plot on 9/11!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Christopher Nolan and adore his films, but I still chuckle at thought of his big cinematic spectacle being screened for a ‘sold out’ show of like 15 people, all of whom have like sneeze guards between the seats. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...