Tenet - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09/03/20)

I felt the same about Interstellar's third act, but even then, I did feel an emotional impact and connection.

Tenet just felt cold and distant, I never really cared about any character because none of them are explored at all except for maybe the Russian couple.

It certainly is an extremely interesting premise, but I agree that the none of the set pieces really wowed me on first watch.

1 hour ago, Amazatron said:

Tenet just felt cold and distant, I never really cared about any character because none of them are explored at all except for maybe the Russian couple.

It certainly is an extremely interesting premise, but I agree that the none of the set pieces really wowed me on first watch.

Yeah, this is where I'm at after one viewing.

Also I know this isn't a novel take, but man Nolan's female characters are pretty reliably problematic.

Okay... finishing up my second viewing of this. Let me say that I absolutely have LOVED Nolan's movies up until this point and believe that his mastery of the technical aspects of big budget filmmaking more than make up for his short comings as a storyteller and writer. Most of the time these aspects of his directing cover for his deficiencies. Not this time. Tenet is a beautiful, masterfully scored film that collapses under the weight of its own plot and hokey, on the nose dialogue. This is a movie that not only needs to be viewed more than once, it requires it. That is not a compliment.  Whether it's to make sense of the plot and the way the various timeline jumps work together or to just hear hard to hear dialogue (which honestly doesn't really help much, I didn't have much problem understanding it watching it at home but I can TOTALLY see how this would have been a problem in the theater.) You NEED to see this movie more than once for it to be coherent and even then it still doesn't really add up. I mean the film works under its own logic but barely and ONLY if you watch it more than once... which isn't ideal for a big budget film.

Nolan should seriously consider doing a streaming series or something to fully realize and flesh out these lofty ideas he has. The feature film format forces him to rely far too much on these long exposition dumps that hurt the narrative and forces the characters to speak in unnatural ways and since he doesn't seem to care about dialogue anyway it seems counter productive. It seems like Nolan was intending for this to be series or something, the story definitely seems to end that way... I don't know if that's gonna happen considering how the film performed and now Nolan's feelings about Warner Bros. This film is what me and one of buddies consider to be a "beautiful failure"... something that ultimately doesn't work, but is well constructed enough to put on in the background when you're doing something else. The movie honestly may have worked better if Nolan leaned into it being a full on Bond send up.

That said it looks good and has an AMAZING score.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I bought the Blu-ray and watched this last night. I liked it, but it's only pretty good, certainly not top tier Nolan like The Dark Knight or Inception is. There were a few dialogue scenes where nothing is happening except the characters talking, yet it's a little hard to understand them, partly due to them almost mumbling, but yeah there are other parts, especially during action scenes where I really had to listen hard. On a home release it wasn't too bad, so I can only take the word of people who saw it in a theatre. It's definitely a movie you need to pay close attention to, and I do want to watch it again for things I might have missed, but overall I didn't really have a problem following it. 

16 hours ago, Brick said:

I bought the Blu-ray and watched this last night. I liked it, but it's only pretty good, certainly not top tier Nolan like The Dark Knight or Inception is. There were a few dialogue scenes where nothing is happening except the characters talking, yet it's a little hard to understand them, partly due to them almost mumbling, but yeah there are other parts, especially during action scenes where I really had to listen hard. On a home release it wasn't too bad, so I can only take the word of people who saw it in a theatre. It's definitely a movie you need to pay close attention to, and I do want to watch it again for things I might have missed, but overall I didn't really have a problem following it. 

And you refuse to turn on subtitles?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...