Tenet - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09/03/20)

3 hours ago, heydude93 said:

I was debating if it'd be worth it to go on a theater expedition during the coronacalypse for this movie but now not so much.  Can't remember a Nolan Film that was actually confusing (even Inception was easy to follow once you know it's mostly just trying to visually represent layers of consciousness, etc) but everyone who's seen this is saying it's a hot mess.  What makes this one confusing?  Did it seem like Nolan was trying and failing to do an action blockbuster Shane Carruth story or something?

It's frustratingly confusing because you can't understand a single damned word of the dialogue 

• Haha 1

Watching it a second time, I’m not sure how much the obscured dialog actually helps. Knowing what will happen later in the movie is really what helps you understand it. Which, in a bullshit way, kinda fits. 

He should really go full silent movie at some point. 

This is actually making me more curious to see it now, and see if I have any issues with the dialogue lol. 

Looking at my IMAX theatre it looks like they space out the seats; two seats beside each other, then three unavailable seats, then another two seats, and so on. I mean maybe I could go if I looked ahead and saw no one else had booked seats so I knew there wouldn't be anyone else in the theatre, and I knew what the cleaning procedures by the staff were. Doubt my girlfriend would even want to though since she and I both don't feel comfortable eating in at a restaurant though. 

8 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Watching it a second time, I’m not sure how much the obscured dialog actually helps. Knowing what will happen later in the movie is really what helps you understand it. Which, in a bullshit way, kinda fits. 

He should really go full silent movie at some point. 

I think the silent route would be great given how sparse the dialogue is in Dunkirk, which I think is far and away his best movie.  The problem with most Nolan movies is that the dialogue is often just the characters explaining the movie to each other for 2 hours.  He can be a great visual filmmaker, but I'd say most of his movies are tell don't show.  I haven't seen Tenet and don't plan to until I can see in at home, but it certainly sounds worse than Inception, which is insane.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
christopher-nolan.png
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

"Interstellar" sound backlash left Nolan "a little shocked" at how "conservative people are when it comes to sound."

“We got a lot of complaints,” Nolan said about the “Interstellar” sound design. “I actually got calls from other filmmakers who would say, ‘I just saw your film, and the dialogue is inaudible.’ Some people thought maybe the music’s too loud, but the truth was it was kind of the whole enchilada of how we had chosen to mix it.”

“It was a very, very radical mix,” the director continued. “I was a little shocked to realize how conservative people are when it comes to sound. Because you can make a film that looks like anything, you can shoot on your iPhone, no one’s going to complain. But if you mix the sound a certain way, or if you use certain sub-frequencies, people get up in arms.”

GEE, CHRIS, I DUNNO ABOUT YOU, BUT IF OTHER PEOPLE IN MY PROFESSION WERE BITCHING ABOUT MY WORK, MAYBE -- JUST MAYBE -- THEY MIGHT HAVE A POINT!

• Haha 2

Sounds effects and music wise his movies sound great, and yeah go all out with experimenting, but people are complaining about the dialogue. If they can't hear the dialogue it makes it harder for them to understand and follow the story. I think he missed the point people were making. Dialogue is king in the audio mix. It should come first above everything else. Make sure that's audible, and then decide if the music or the sound effects should be heard more over the other. 

17 minutes ago, Brick said:

Sounds effects and music wise his movies sound great, and yeah go all out with experimenting, but people are complaining about the dialogue. If they can't hear the dialogue it makes it harder for them to understand and follow the story. I think he missed the point people were making. Dialogue is king in the audio mix. It should come first above everything else. Make sure that's audible, and then decide if the music or the sound effects should be heard more over the other. 

The piss-poor dialogue mixing wouldn't be so much of an issue if his films weren't so damned exposition heavy (except for Dunkirk).

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The piss-poor dialogue mixing wouldn't be so much of an issue if his films weren't so damned exposition heavy (except for Dunkirk).

That's the issue right there and I KNOW he knows this. One of the first things you learn in production and post production is that while audiences will forgive poor camera work, poor lighting, poor writing and even poor acting, they won't forgive poor sound. We've been trained by hundreds of years of movies to view any spoken dialogue in movie to be informational and if we can't hear it, it causes frustration. You would think after three movies where this is a chief complaint he would at least rethink his approach... I understand what he's going for... but it's clear to me that as much as I love his films, Nolan's head is WAAAAAY too far up his own ass and he believes his own hype now. Shame because once that starts happening, the quality of film starts to go down. When a filmmaker no longer believes he has anything to proove then the work suffers.

• Thanks 1

Maybe if he also embraced Atmos sound and not just 5.1 mix, maybe the sound would be better. Still need to see Interstellar and bought the bluray steelbook when released and for s9me reason upgraded to the 4K disc too