Tenet - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09/03/20)

I have had so many bad incidents mostly minor in movie theaters but the worst ones 

1. I broke a dudes iphone because he kept playing youtube videos during a screening of Zombieland

2. Shouting match between me and a doctor who kept answering his phone during Lincoln, he got ejected out

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing a minimum 65% week over week drop for Tenet. Even our drive in ticket sales have been soft heading into the weekend. Looking around the Houston region, most primetime shows for Friday have ZERO tickets sold as of this afternoon.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I'm guessing a minimum 65% week over week drop for Tenet. Even our drive in ticket sales have been soft heading into the weekend. Looking around the Houston region, most primetime shows for Friday have ZERO tickets sold as of this afternoon.

I would wager that even under normal circumstances that Tenet would have a pretty significant week-to-week drop due to its word of mouth reception.

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I would wager that even under normal circumstances that Tenet would have a pretty significant week-to-week drop due to its word of mouth reception.

Sure, but dropping that much from a soft opening given current market conditions is disastrous. The entire theory of Warner's domestic release strategy is despite opening soft to keep making 10-15 million a week for a few months and settle in the low 100s domestically. I think what this again shows is the market for indoor entertainment just isn't there yet. 

48 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

It's pretty amazing how quickly my interest in seeing this plummeted off a cliff.

It was easily the most infuriating movie-going experience I've ever had and has essentially soured me on going to the theater to see Nolan's future projects.

I actually left the theater angry.  Not disappointed, but actually furious.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Yeah, Comscore told us in the weeks leading up that Warner told them not to report data on Tenet, so if you go into the portal I can’t even see Tenet numbers for my own locations. Really dumb.

58 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

It was easily the most infuriating movie-going experience I've ever had and has essentially soured me on going to the theater to see Nolan's future projects.

How so?

4 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I’ve been guessing 11 million, but 12ish certainly could be right. It’s been solid at my drive ins, but I don’t know a single indoor theater that saw much increased business over the stuff like unhinged and new mutants.

I’m not going to bother with opening my indoor until March 2021 unless a drastic change occurs.

4 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

It was that bad ?

It is. I had to create a custom downmix for our drive ins to make dialogue comprehensible. Tons of scenes where music and sound effects just straight overpower the dialogue.

26 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

He did that in Interstellar as well didnt he?

It’s much more aggressive here and seemingly random. I can also make an argument that there are sensible thematic choices in many of the scenes in Interstellar. This is just silly nonsense.

And I actually LIKE the flick!

22 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Which IMAX did you see it on? 

Just now, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I didn't go to an IMAX - I saw it at an AMC Dolby Cinema.

I was gonna say, I hope you didn't go to the Udvar-Hazy IMAX again after our TDKR experience. :lol:I saw the movie a second time at the Lincoln Square IMAX in NYC and in that case it was definitely the Udvar-Hazy IMAX's sound system being anemic that was the main problem, I specifically remember the Bane airplane opening scene dialogue being better the second time.

If you ever want to see something on a real IMAX screen I remember the sound at the IMAX theater at the Air and Space in the District being fine in terms of audio when I saw Gravity there.

On 9/12/2020 at 1:49 PM, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Meaning it's bombing and they're ashamed to admit it. I'm sure they're hoping that since this movie will be in theatres for a lot longer, and with no other competition coming for a long time, that they can make a profit in the long haul. 

On 9/12/2020 at 2:02 PM, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Angrier than Prometheus? :p

39 minutes ago, Brick said:

Meaning it's bombing and they're ashamed to admit it. I'm sure they're hoping that since this movie will be in theatres for a lot longer, and with no other competition coming for a long time, that they can make a profit in the long haul. 

They made this decision months ago. I’ve known they weren’t going to allow Comscore to make data public since the early August because Comscore told the theater trade associations they wouldn’t. They want to be in control of the narrative on this weird release. They are hoping for 180 million NA run and I’ve always thought that was a STRETCH.

What remains to be seen is how the film will perform in markets that are currently closed but would have been excepted to be the best for the film in normal conditions. A movie like this not opening in LA/NYC/SF is just wild because sales for such films are way over represented by those markets compared to say, a Pixar flick that does tons of business in the Midwest and South.

I think Tenet at $100 million domestic is still a big question mark, but the flick does have a path to 400-450m world wide. Given overall market conditions, that is not terrible...it’s just very soft compared to what they would have expected (750-850) had Covid not been a thing.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:13 PM, sblfilms said:

It is. I had to create a custom downmix for our drive ins to make dialogue comprehensible. Tons of scenes where music and sound effects just straight overpower the dialogue.

That's fucked up and inexcusable.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:14 PM, SimpleG said:

He did that in Interstellar as well didnt he?

It was only in a handful of scenes in Interstellar and the scenes he did it in actually made sense. 

I was debating if it'd be worth it to go on a theater expedition during the coronacalypse for this movie but now not so much.  Can't remember a Nolan Film that was actually confusing (even Inception was easy to follow once you know it's mostly just trying to visually represent layers of consciousness, etc) but everyone who's seen this is saying it's a hot mess.  What makes this one confusing?  Did it seem like Nolan was trying and failing to do an action blockbuster Shane Carruth story or something?