Tenet - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Opening 09/03/20)

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Death was the only point of discussion, and your maybe doesn’t even make sense. It’s a verifiable fact :p

sure. the "only point" was misguided. managing decades of life with a traumatic injury can be devastating. We don't know enough about covid to claim that anything is a verifiable fact, at this point. Heart attacks, and strokes are perfectly normal in 20 year old people. 

12 minutes ago, Iculus said:

sure. the "only point" was misguided. managing decades of life with a traumatic injury can be devastating. We don't know enough about covid to claim that anything is a verifiable fact, at this point. Heart attacks, and strokes are perfectly normal in 20 year old people. 

This is non-sense hedging. Where are all these deaths for people in the demos that drive theatrical revenue when they get Covid? Brick said people will die from going to see the movie, but the data doesn’t support the claim. It’s just his/her gut feeling.

Tenet Will Signal How The Rest of 2020 Plays out

Slowly but surely, movies and movie theaters are coming back. A few weeks ago, Disney released The New Mutants. Last weekend, Warner Bros. opened Christopher Nolan’s Tenet. In less than a month, if all goes according to plan, Wonder Woman 1984 will be in theaters. And yet, as these theaters and movies open, nothing feels even close to normal.

Tenet currently has the dubious honor of being the biggest domestic box office opening since the start of a global pandemic, grossing just over $20 million in the U.S. and Canada over the Labor Day weekend. Whether you think that number is good, bad, or in the middle, it’s a start. We now have a bar against which we can measure how people are feeling about going to the movies.

Though box office grosses rarely go up after an opening weekend, this climate is an occasion where that could definitely happen. This coming weekend, more theaters are likely to re-open, giving Tenet more screens to play on. Southern California’s Orange County, which neighbors Los Angeles, just announced it will allow theaters to open in the coming days, making access to Nolan’s latest easier for millions of moviegoers. But will people show up?

The theater industry sure wants you to. Tuesday, the National Association of Theatre Owners shared with press a link to a video that’ll soon be playing in theaters, touting all the new safety precautions: required masks, lower capacity, upgraded ventilation, more cleaning, etc. It all makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is the part in the video where the socially distanced, masked family eats popcorn through their masks. Theaters don’t want to acknowledge it but of course masks are coming off for people to eat and drink the concessions theaters make most of their money on. And almost certainly no one will be standing in the theater to make sure they go back on.

You’d hope most people would be considerate and put their masks back on. And, ideally, none of those people would be sick anyway. But theaters can’t be sure. They aren’t testing. It’s doubtful they’re checking, enforcing, or ejecting. And without a vaccine for covid-19, going to a movie theater and sitting with people you don’t know in an enclosed environment is a risk. A small risk? Probably. But is the small risk that you could get sick—or get your family and others you may come into contact with sick—worth it to see a movie? That’s up to you.

I’ve been to the movies 3 times in the last two weeks. I saw maybe a grand total of 15 people in the building between those three trips. Other than the guy who scanned my phone from the other side of a plexiglass divider, I’m pretty sure I didn’t come within 10 feet of anyone. I’m not saying that it’s going to be like that for everyone all the time, but it is possible to see a movie safely these days. 

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve been to the movies 3 times in the last two weeks. I saw maybe a grand total of 15 people in the building between those three trips. Other than the guy who scanned my phone from the other side of a plexiglass divider, I’m pretty sure I didn’t come within 10 feet of anyone. I’m not saying that it’s going to be like that for everyone all the time, but it is possible to see a movie safely these days. 

I think the recycled aerosolized droplets/air indoors is more the concern.

26 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think the recycled aerosolized droplets/air indoors is more the concern.

Well, keep in mind I’m a dummy who doesn’t know what he’s talking about, but at a certain point this starts to feel like “don’t stay out in the sun for too long because you can get skin cancer”. Sure, there might be a risk going into a nearly empty public building for a couple hours, but you take risks every time you drive a car, or go pretty much anywhere. 

And again, I spend most of my time at a grocery distribution center surrounded by people who have given up on following the most basic rules of social distancing/masking, so I’ve maybe grown a little numb to some potential dangers as a way to preserve my sanity. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Well, keep in mind I’m a dummy who doesn’t know what he’s talking about, but at a certain point this starts to feel like “don’t stay out in the sun for too long because you can get skin cancer”. Sure, there might be a risk going into a nearly empty public building for a couple hours, but you take risks every time you drive a car, or go pretty much anywhere. 

And again, I spend most of my time at a grocery distribution center surrounded by people who have given up on following the most basic rules of social distancing/masking, so I’ve maybe grown a little numb to some potential dangers as a way to preserve my sanity. 

It makes sense (my wife has become much the same way to a degree) - just that's what people's concerns are. Even one dude coughing and that shit goes through recycled air vents into your nostrils or mouth while breathing (in theory). People don't even know all the long-term effects of Covid yet, so getting it and surviving doesn't mean much when one side effect is brain degradation in old age (one posited theory). People who survived Covid may very well have random and debilitating ailments throughout the rest of their lives. Doctors simply don't know yet, but given the possibility, even though I'd likely survive, I'm not being the dumb character in the zombie/horror movie. We'll see lol.

In the same way if Trump wins re-election I'm likely moving out of the country because I don't want to be the dumb historical character in a period piece who stays in the Weimar Republic while Hitler's Germany takes power. Then I'm one of the Jews (since I'm a minority in the US) who stupidly stuck around to see myself get hurt/abused/whatever later? No way. :p 

3 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

All movies, TV shows, and games have subtitles enabled for me too!

Same! Games it's even more important with all the incidental dialogue. It's honestly the only way to do it for me. You get all the story, you miss nothing, your reading and vocabulary improve, and eventually you get fast enough at reading that you don't even miss anything visually. It also allows more talking to occur amongst the audience without missing anything, since it's easy to talk and read than to talk and listen at the same time.

24 minutes ago, Brick said:

You talk in the theatre? Off with his head! 

I whisper respectfully as possible (I usually don't talk at a theater though), but I meant at home/anywhere else, not the actual movie theater. There's no subtitles at the theater, so talking is more distracting.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There are definitely cultures for which talking while watching a movie is quite normal.

Indeed - though hopefully not at the actual movie theater. Elsewhere, for sure! I'm guilty. :p 

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There are definitely cultures for which talking while watching a movie is quite normal.

In the actual theatre? Not really in North America, Australia, and I would assume most of Europe and the UK, where most of us posters here are from. It's considered quite rude.

Just now, Brick said:

In the actual theatre? Not really in North America, Australia, and I would assume most of Europe and the UK, where most of us posters here are from. It's considered quite rude.

Go to any majority black or Hispanic attended theater and you’ll definitely hear lots of talking out loud during movies.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Go to any majority black or Hispanic attended theater and you’ll definitely hear lots of talking out loud during movies.

This is true. It's annoying/irritating as fuck, but, what can one do. I will say it does uniquely make horror films hilarious when I go to heavily black attended movie theaters in Philly. Always a blast, but, uh, the horror movie is never scary if you do go. They react, talk over, and make fun of the horror movie so much that any horror is sucked right out. But it's still fun. :p 

1 minute ago, Brick said:

I was going to bring up that stereotype but I didn't want to come off as racist :/

It's not a stereotype, it's built into their culture at this point from what I've read and what my Hispanic and black friends tell me at least, so I go off of them. Of course it's not universal for all black and Hispanic people, but I can't think of one time it didn't happen in my personal life. :p 

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think that depends on what part of the country you're in. Talk during a movie here in Jersey in predominately Black Newark NJ and you might get your ass kicked. We're not shy about telling folks to shut the fuck up. Meanwhile I've been to arthouse theaters in Westwood where older white attendees will chat through the whole movie :shrug:

• Thanks 1

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I think that depends on what part of the country you're in. Talk during a movie here in Jersey in predominately Black Newark NJ and you might get your ass kicked. We're not shy about telling folks to shut the fuck up. Meanwhile I've been to arthouse theaters in Westwood where older white attendees will chat through the whole movie :shrug:

Also true. Philly is pretty bad - haven't done much black or Hispanic attended theaters in Jersey though.

I've been to theaters in predominately black neighborhoods in Jersey, New York and LA... I've found that it depends on the theater to be honest. If you go to a... lower budgeted theater or are styuck in a screening with a lot of teenagers or younger kids, you'll definitely get a lot of talking. But I have not found it to be a ubiquitous thing my whole life. I used to go to the movies a lot at Newport Mall in Jersey City, never found the screenings to be overly loud there either. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I know that’s the stereotype but I went to a Rocky Horror screening and those white people wouldn’t shut up. They even threw stuff at the screen! How rude.

• Haha 2

There are definitely areas that will have different local flavor to broad cultural norms, some even opposites of what is most common. But beyond my first hand experiences,  I’ve literally sat in sessions at theater owner conventions where black executives have discussed how to handle divergent cultural norms including things like talking during screenings. 

To give a bit more clarity, the talking in these cultures tends to be more verbal response to what is happening on screen than just random chit chat. 

One of my favorite examples of this was watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and during the big finale as each act of violence ramped up, my Granny said “damn!” a little loudest until he brings out the big weapon and she finishes with a “GOD DAMN!l :lol:

Other cultures more likely respond with gasps or groans and such.

I don’t think anybody is down with people just carrying on full on conversations!

My first job as a teenager was at a dollar movie theater. The most uncomfortable thing I had to do at that job was tell a group of black women to keep it down because we had received multiple complaints. I'm pretty sure they were just laughing at the movie. 

I don't remember what movie it was, but scrolling through a list of 2007 movies, I think it might have been Norbit. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

In the Republic of Trinidad  and Tobago, people think you're weird if you don't talk back to the actors on-screen.

I 100% do this at home, seems pretty normal that other people would do it at the theater. 

Besides it’s not like there are indelible norms for going to the movies anyway, this shit changes with the times:

It_Is_Required_That_You_See_Psycho_From_