The Ascent (29 July 2021, PC/Xbox) - Information Thread, update: first-person view mode unlocked using UE4 tool (PC version)

Pikachu

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Ranging from "My favorite game of all time" to "feels like work"

Sounds like most reviews. Looks like the more negative reviews are about some technical problems and other polishing problems. Even the "bad" reviews nearly all praise it's smooth gameplay.

Who wants to settle some claims for me so I can go play this instead of waiting all day?

42 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I can't wait to try this out when I get home. It's probably not a great game, but at the same time it will scratch a very specific itch that hasn't been scratched in a long time. It'll be a good game to play, enjoy, then move on.

Sounds a lot better for that than Midgard.

1 hour ago, The def star said:

Yeeesh on the previous gen loading times :epilepsy:

Ugh... I'll be playing on a Series S, and one of my buddies will be on a Series X..... the other buddy will be with us on his 2013 XBO. 

Guess we'll be getting sandwiches while waiting for him to pop in.

• Haha 2

I played maybe 30 or so minutes, and while extremely early into it, I'm loving the feel of the combat.  The look and feel of the game definitely feels great.  Early area is sparse of enemies though, so the combat was few and far between, but I'm hoping as you get into the meat of the game its non stop action cause the rolling shooting and all that just hits that mark for me so far.

Looking forward to diving in more co-op later on.

Detail is crazy, it’s really a fantastic looking game, probably just the most AAA feeling of this type of isometric shooter I’ve seen in awhile.

Getting weird annoying stutters on on pc tho. Guess I’ll try DX11 later since DF mentioned the performance was off with RT. Though the frame rate is actually fine never dipping below 60, just random stutters.

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Detail is crazy, it’s really a fantastic looking game, probably just the most AAA feeling of this type of isometric shooter I’ve seen in awhile.

Getting weird annoying stutters on on pc tho. Guess I’ll try DX11 later since DF mentioned the performance was off with RT. Though the frame rate is actually fine never dipping below 60, just random stutters.

They mentioned that in the DF video... the stutter seems to be tied to the camera movement. Like, the camera is literally stuttering as it pans and it's not related to the framerate.

In other words, there's not a whole lot to do about it except hope they patch it.

Just now, XxEvil AshxX said:

They mentioned that in the DF video... the stutter seems to be tied to the camera movement. Like, the camera is literally stuttering as it pans and it's not related to the framerate.

In other words, there's not a whole lot to do about it except hope they patch it.

Reminds me of Disco Elysium. That would run smooth as fuck and then stutter massively every time the camera moved. 

5 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Fun! Yeah, I tried DX11 and it seemed better but still happening, hope they patch that, I’m reasonably confident they will since they are trying to do a tech showcase here.

Is it just the pc version that does it or do consoles do it too?

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Fun! Yeah, I tried DX11 and it seemed better but still happening, hope they patch that, I’m reasonably confident they will since they are trying to do a tech showcase here.

Is it just the pc version that does it or do consoles do it too?

I think they said they noticed it in the Series X too... I haven't played a ton of it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was on Series S as well. At about the 10:00 mark in that video above.

Playing on the XSX and it’s dope. Game looks great and runs well. I don’t notice any stuttering. The elevator times are longer than I expected.

My main gripe is the UI. The text is small. I am constantly leaning forward to read. Doesn’t help that the game drops a ton of information at the start. 

Gameplay is tight and enjoyable. It really shines when you get the first boss fight. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Playing on the XSX and it’s dope. Game looks great and runs well. I don’t notice any stuttering. The elevator times are longer than I expected.

My main gripe is the UI. The text is small. I am constantly leaning forward to read. Doesn’t help that the game drops a ton of information at the start. 

Gameplay is tight and enjoyable. It really shines when you get the first boss fight. 

This would be a good one for the deck.

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Soooooo... I dunno how long this game had been in development, but they basically made FF7's Midgar x10.

Why couldn't Squeenix make a 1:1 FF7 remake again?

People would have thrown a fit if it was isometric even if it was done as well as this I’m sure.

Also so nobody else wastes their time, apparently dlss is on the Steam version but it is not on the gamepass version, apparently they are trying to work on it. Ray tracing is also not working either as far as I can tell in the gamepass version though it lets you set it on.

This game rules so far honestly. I’ve played a few hours and I’m surprised it’s so mixed. I’m wondering if some of them are playing Crusader: No Remorse and are upset it’s not Diablo or something. I’m ignoring most of the upgrading whatever stuff, it doesn’t really seem like a focus, instead just going through beautiful levels killing shit, which is great.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

This game rules so far honestly. I’ve played a few hours and I’m surprised it’s so mixed. I’m wondering if some of them are playing Crusader: No Remorse and are upset it’s not Diablo or something. I’m ignoring most of the upgrading whatever stuff, it doesn’t really seem like a focus, instead just going through beautiful levels killing shit, which is great.

You playing solo?  I plan to play with a few friends from here so have restrained from playing more, but definitely want to.

Are there set stages, or is it just kind of a continual ongoing world.  I beat the 1st boss but kinda stopped right after.

Another thing I like, is when you go to quit, it tells you exactly how long ago the last auto save was.  No worries of guessing when the last save was.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

You playing solo?  I plan to play with a few friends from here so have restrained from playing more, but definitely want to.

Are there set stages, or is it just kind of a continual ongoing world.  I beat the 1st boss but kinda stopped right after.

Another thing I like, is when you go to quit, it tells you exactly how long ago the last auto save was.  No worries of guessing when the last save was.

Yeah I’m just playing it as a regular solo game. It seems the city is huge and will open up more and then that leads to where you can actually shoot which are also huge. So it kinda all branches out to different sections of one large city connected through the part of the city you don’t have your weapon..i think?

I just got through the 2nd Boss?  I really am enjoy the actual gameplay.  Tons of fun diving around shooting, with all the awesome effects and explosions.  

The map does kinda suck, makes navigating towards certain things kind of difficult. 

Also, while running around a mission, you can go from fighting enemies that are your level, and instantly take the wrong turn and run into skulls that will wreck you.

The audio is also done very well, lots of atmosphere.  

Still pretty early into it, but how this got a 3/10 review score is just criminal.  

Overall I’m enjoying. It’s definitely not overly deep but the world atmosphere is so damn impressive and the animations (minus the cut scenes) are really rich. Great world,OK game. Still playing though just to spend time in the world. They put so much care into the world construction I just wish this was a proper old school, Baldur’s Gate affair. This world deserves it!

So far this has been a fun co op shooter. Been playing it with my friend and we are enjoying the leveling up and specing out our characters. Difficulty hasn't been too bad. Occasionally we will get to an area we are too low to be in and die but we just do side missions to level us up. Graphics are good and the gameplay is solid. Have run into a couple of glitches so far but it gets a pass since it just came out and it's a small team that developed it. Great Game Pass game. My only complaint is that my buddy is playing on a One X and loading times are long. He wants a Series X now because of it :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
ddrrsVho5YDG2Zic8zXZJ8-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Wander around the neon-lit streets of the Arcology with this clever tool.

Using a tool called the Universal Unreal Engine 4 Unlocker you can toggle the free camera option to freely glide around and, up close and personal, The Ascent's people-packed city is stunning. There's an impressive amount of slick detail that's you would never notice in the fixed camera mode. One detail that amazed me was the tiny ripples that raindrops make as they drop on different surfaces.