The Ascent (29 July 2021, PC/Xbox) - Information Thread, update: first-person view mode unlocked using UE4 tool (PC version)

Pikachu

The Ascent is a solo and co-op action RPG set in a cyberpunk world. Mega-corporation The Ascent Group, that owns everyone including yourself, has just collapsed. Can you survive without it?

Coming 2020 and launching on Xbox Series X, Xbox One and PC, The Ascent will offer players the chance to step into an action-orientated sci-fi RPG, powered by Unreal Engine 4, that takes the genre to new levels, available to play in both single-player and up to four-player co-op. 

The survival of your district is threatened: rival corporations are trying to force appropriation and crime syndicates are looking to boost their black-market augmentation trade. You must take up arms to stop them from seizing control and embark on a new mission to find out what started it all. 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Ascent (cyberpunk solo and co-op ARPG) - "Rise Up" Co-Op Trailer
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Ascent (cyberpunk solo and co-op ARPG) - July 29 release announced (Xbox consoles/Steam/Xbox Game Pass), multiple new previews

Previews:

the-ascent-diablo-cyberpunk.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

We battle snot-monsters and hoover up loot in this cyberpunk action-RPG

the-ascent.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

See Curve Digital's impressive cyberpunk action RPG in our new video footage…

theascent-blogroll-1-1621279354117.jpg?w
WWW.IGN.COM

This action-RPG has got the cyberpunk look and feel down pat.

The Ascent is what you get when a group of veteran developers makes whatever they want (Eurogamer)

"For us it's pretty simple: The Lord of the Rings didn't make people fed up with fantasy; they wanted more of it." Arcade Berg, creative director on The Ascent, makes a good point. The Ascent (announced today as coming July 29th to the Xboxes, PC and Game Pass) is a cyberpunk game, all towering industrial dystopia, body augments and neon street signs, and we've had a few of those recently, but like most games it is more than its genre, and even in the wake of Cyberpunk 2077's noisy implosion the appetite for that genre is probably as strong as it's ever been, anyway.

The-Ascent-PlazaHD-scaled.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

We've interviewed Neon Giant's Arcade Berg and Tor Frick to learn more about The Ascent, one of the most exciting indie games in development.

The-Ascent-Keyart-LANDSCAPE-Logo-1-scale
WCCFTECH.COM

We got to try the promising cyberpunk top-down action RPG The Ascent. We also chatted again with Neon Giant's Arcade Berg about it.

121997.jpg
WWW.MMORPG.COM

Jason checks out The Ascent, an Isometric action shooter with RPG elements. As he puts it: Diablo with guns!

the-ascent-preview_8.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

The Ascent launches on July 29, 2021, straight into Xbox Game Pass across console and PC. We went hands-on with the game this week, and came away thoroughly impressed with Neon Giant's first outing. This is The Ascent.

the-ascent-coop.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

I expected The Ascent to be a fast-paced, gore-laced thrill ride but after a couple of hours with it, I felt quite indifferent about the game.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Ascent (cyberpunk solo and co-op ARPG) - July 29 release announced (Xbox consoles/Steam/Xbox Game Pass), multiple new hands-on previews
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm not on @JPDunks4's level at all... I've played with him enough to know that :lol: Thanks though

I'm telling you, its the Elite Controller with paddles that helps a TON.  I played Second Extinction quickly at my parents house, and had a lot harder time on a traditional controller.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

I'm telling you, its the Elite Controller with paddles that helps a TON.  I played Second Extinction quickly at my parents house, and had a lot harder time on a traditional controller.

Dammit between the Elite controller and the Series X hardrive you trying to have me spend a TON of money :p Is that you Bill gates?

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 3:56 PM, JPDunks4 said:

I knew I had an excuse!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Ascent (29 July 2021, PC/Xbox) - Information Thread, update: "Xbox Game Pass Trailer"
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Ascent (29 July 2021, PC/Xbox) - Information Thread, update: "Gameplay Deep Dive on Xbox Series X" video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Ascent (29 July 2021, PC/Xbox) - Information Thread, update: PC gameplay videos posted (2K/60fps/Ray Tracing)

Game Information

Game Title: The Ascent

Platforms:

• PC (Jul 29, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Jul 29, 2021)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jul 29, 2021)

Developer: Neon Giant

Publisher: Curve Digital

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 74 average - 67% recommended

Critic Reviews

Saving Content - 5 / 5 stars

Neon Giant has some minor performance issues to iron out with RTX and DX12. The developers have made a game that’s as complex as you want, but doesn’t overcomplicate anything. Every system has a purpose, and is a weapon of opportunity for you to overcome obstacles. I love when the game isn’t having me fight everything in sight, and allowing me to take in the world. No game has made me want DLC or more content than The Ascent has. Simply put, The Ascent is a brilliant game, that absolutely lives up to the hype.

XboxEra - 9.7 / 10

At $30 US it is a steal, but it’s also available day one on Game Pass. Stunning graphics, excellent music, innovative gameplay, and so many other factors come together to not only make one of the best releases of the year but one of my favorite games of all time.

Rectify Gaming - 9.3 / 10

The Ascent is a love letter to dark, gritty sci-fi that feels like a marriage between Dredd and Syndicate. Dripping with atmosphere and Sweet Justice’s Carptenter-esque score, all backed by intense tactical shootouts and next gen visuals. The Ascent is easily one of this years best games.

COGconnected - 92 / 100

Setting aside it coming from such a small team, I think The Ascent is miraculous in a couple of ways. First, the detailed world-building, environmental storytelling, and atmosphere are maybe the best expression of the cyberpunk aesthetic I’ve ever seen in a game. Second, the developers have seemingly cataloged every annoying mechanic in RPGs and action games — from death to rapid travel to inventory management — and found a way to make them less onerous or disappear altogether. The Ascent is not an easy game, either mechanically or thematically, but it is completely engaging if for no other reason than to see into a very convincingly realized future.

Cram-Gaming - 9 / 10

Neon Giant has done a fantastic job with The Ascent as a new IP, and one we hope continues in the future. Great visuals, banging audio, smooth gameplay and an overall vibe that tests the player's skill and resolve. We did die quite often. Our only criticism is a lack of mission variety and post-completion options such as extra difficulty and new game+ modes.  It's a stick-shooter so expect big explosions and lots of gunplay where your trigger finger might begin to ache at times. With the game appearing on Game Pass, this is must have game to try out. The low asking price on Steam though also makes it good value for money. We highly recommend this.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

The Ascent combines excellent worldbuilding, satisfying role playing, exciting combat, and stellar visuals to deliver an astounding action RPG.

WayTooManyGames - 9 / 10

The Ascent is a bloody good time that combines addictive twin-stick shooting, a spectacular cyberpunk world, and a rocking synth soundtrack that elevates every moment to the next level. I never wanted to put the game down, despite some shortcomings.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 8.8 / 10

The Ascent picks up the glove to become the "Diablo with guns" and the result is a game with astonishing action and a superb design.

Fextralife - 8.5 / 10

While The Ascent is not going to be the next Diablo nor Path of Exile, it manages to craft an immersive and distinct experience, one that has familiar gameplay, yet a unique design. Whether your exploring Veles alone or with some friends, you won't want to miss out on this one!

Gamers Heroes - 85 / 100

The Ascent delivers on every promise. The combat is fast-paced, challenging, and explosive. The environment is gorgeous, gritty, and dark. Everything about the cyberpunk theme screams out for attention. If you're a fan of twin-stick style shooters and the thematics of the cyberpunk universe, The Ascent offers an exciting and rewarding adventure that is worth every second.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.5 / 10

The Ascent is a true homage to the classic top-down shooter genre that adds some modern features without disrespecting its main inspirations.

PC Invasion - 8.5 / 10

The Ascent is for the most part a polished experience that's tons of fun to play and behold. The narrative will carry you along to many interesting places with different baddies to fry, though a few encounters feature enemies that are pure bullet sponges. You will need to pick the right equipment and keep up with leveling, but these issues can be overcome. Hardware requirements shouldn't hold you back too much, and glitches are few and far between. The overall quality makes this one a must play for cyberpunk and isometric shooter fans.

SomHráč.sk - Czech - 85 / 100

Whether you will explore it alone or with friends, Veles is incredibly immersive. The Ascent is an incredible audiovisual achievement that is not without issues, but they are not as big as to be unforgivable.

PC Gamer - 84 / 100

A lovingly crafted action RPG with challenging, satisfying gunfights and an extraordinary cyberpunk setting.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.4 / 10

The Ascent is a fast-paced twin-stick shooter immersed in an impeccably designed cyberpunk world, yet its plot fails to fully take advantage of this wonderful setting. Luckily, the shooting mechanics are quite satisfying, while the many different character customization options guarantee a fair range of approaches to the shootouts. There are also a bunch of technical issues that can be easily circumvented, but are still annoying.

GBAtemp - 8 / 10

The Ascent strikes the right cyberpunk and action-shooter chords to make a strong impression as Neon Giant's debut title.

Telegraph - 4 / 5 stars

Diablo meets Cyberpunk 2077 on the set of Ridley Scott's cinematic masterpiece in this action-packed RPG gem

The Outerhaven Productions - 4 / 5 stars

Despite a few small issues, The Ascent is an incredibly fun twin stick shooter set in a dark, cyberpunk world with a lighthearted cast of characters and plenty of things to do. Neon Giant has a patch based on player feedback planned for mid August so hopefully the small visual and audio bugs will be worked out sooner rather than later.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

The Ascent has got all the grimy character that you would want from its sci-fi cyberpunk setting, and there's a great combat system to go with it. Simply put, The Ascent deserves your attention.

VG247 - 4 / 5 stars

The Ascent’s ambition is often the most surprising thing about it. I went in expecting a decent, simple cyberpunk top-down shooter. Instead, I got a compelling action game that feels great to play, and an introduction into a world I can’t wait to see expanded in future sequels. The Ascent is the type of indie superstar game you bring up to prove how much can be accomplished by a small team today.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7.5 / 10

The Ascent is an ambitious work, which fascinates with incredible atmospheres and visually breathtaking scenery. Unfortunately, the exceptional production effort made on the sets and modeling of the game world does not hide some problems related to the balance of the gameplay and the quality of the script.

TechRaptor - 7.5 / 10

A few balance issues and questionable combat encounters do not mar an otherwise solid and memorable cyberpunk action-RPG experience.

Game Informer - 7.3 / 10

The soundtrack is a highlight, with clear inspiration from some of the most iconic sci-fi scores in entertainment

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.2 / 10

The Ascenti constantly reminds you of being an indie game, having both ambitious ideas you won't find in your typical AAA blockbuster and a not so brilliant execution. Despite the missed opportunities, it still is a fascinating universe and an enjoyable isometric shooter RPG.

Geek Culture - 7.1 / 10

A decent enough action-shooter RPG that comes with its own sets of problems, The Ascent is a flawed debut for Neon Giant and a missed opportunity.

GameSpew - 7 / 10

Fans of twin-stick shooters and action RPGs are likely to get a good amount of fun out of The Ascent, especially if they have the patience to work though some of its issues. The fact that it looks so pretty, at least on Xbox Series X, means that some may find more of a reason to persist with it, too. With its merely passable story and small assortment of gameplay frustrations, however, it’s not quite the game it could have been. It simply feels a bit rough around the edges, though perhaps a patch or two could smooth them off.

God is a Geek - 7 / 10

Despite difficulty spikes and a few odd design choices, The Ascent is an enjoyable, and gorgeous, sci-fi blaster.

IGN - 7 / 10

Story isn't its strong suit, but the rest of The Ascent delivers a wonderfully realized cyberpunk world mixed with satisfying twin-stick gunplay to create an enjoyable action-RPG.

Seasoned Gaming - 7 / 10

The Ascent’s setting is remarkably striking, and it’s quite fun to play to boot. But the aspects that are either lacking, or entirely non-existent in the game’s design, have a large, detrimental affect on the overall quality of the experience.

Windows Central - 3.5 / 5 stars

The Ascent is a solid evolution of the twin-stick formula, offering some of the most detailed and impressive visuals the gen has to offer so far. However, The Ascent needs a couple of polish passes as of writing, due to bugs and other glitches. Additionally, the game suffers from a lack of testing, with balance problems and structural issues that weaken the latter half of the game.

Sirus Gaming - 6.5 / 10

There’s just a lot of technical restraints that drag The Ascent down, and I do praise Neon Giant’s hard work they’ve put into the game, but it’s difficult for me to recommend a title that’s so unpolished when you want to play the game on couch co-op. However, if you’re up for instant, fluid twin-stick shooting gunplay with easy-to-grasp mechanics and a massive arsenal of weapons, and a game that accurately evokes the cyberpunk theme then The Ascent is undoubtedly a game that may be worth your time regardless of the technical issues it has.

Xbox Achievements - 65 / 100

A grim, dystopian future shock, The Ascent is an action-packed ARPG brimming with guns and ultra-violence. It's enormous fun, especially in co-op, but bothersome bugs and repetitive quests unfortunately put a dampener on things.

GameSpot - 6 / 10

The Ascent looks and acts like a video game, but mostly feels like work.

TrueAchievements - 3 / 5 stars

The Ascent is a beautiful and entertaining action-RPG when everything is working as intended, but those moments are sadly much rarer than they should be. We know the team already has several patches planned so hopefully, a lot of the issues we encountered will be ironed out by the time you dive into the game — I'll be keeping an eye on these updates and will look to update and/or modify this review should things be significantly improved, because I'd have liked to have scored The Ascent higher. Combat is frantic and fun, the world is amazing, and there are some really satisfying abilities to bust out against foes, but you need a hell of a lot of patience to put up with all the technical nonsense going on with the game in its current state.

Twinfinite - 3 / 5

The Ascent is a tough game to recommend for solo players in its current state. Its buggy, tedious at its best and utterly frustrating at its worst. While I’m sure playing with friends will resolve some of my chief complaints, more fundamental issues like a rather boring overworld can’t be fixed with a few laughs with friends.

GamesRadar+ - 2.5 / 5 stars

While The Ascent is a true visual showcase for the Xbox Series X, it lacks depth and clarity. There's a fun game in here, but it's ultimately overburdened.

Metro GameCentral - 3 / 10

A deeply disappointing co-op shooter that squanders its excellent graphics on a bland and repetitive attempt to make a sci-fi Diablo.

ACG - Buy

"2021's most enjoyable game, that also has atmosphere for days, and out Cyberpunks most any other game in that theme. Twin stick supreme."

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

The Ascent's arcology setting is splendid, if heavily derivative - shame that all you can do here is gun and grind.

Skill Up - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

the-ascent-poon.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

The Ascent's a fun cyberpunk shooter that gets off to a slow start, but makes up for it with a gorgeous world and punchy action.

Even playing by yourself, though, I'd give The Ascent a hearty recommendation if you're after a fun, shooty RPG in a stunning cyberpunk universe. Just bear with its wild difficulty spikes and slow-burn early game, because it does become more engaging once you finally transform into an actual cyborg with a hydraulic fist for a hand.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Ascent (29 July 2021, PC/Xbox) - Information Thread, update: first reviews from OpenCritic posted