Microsoft Game Division for the first time ever has 10 billion dollars in annual revenue

BuckFly

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

But they have no exclooooooooooooosives!

Well, they easily don't have exclusives like Sony and Nintendo.

Still, I love, and prefer, their services.  

I liked it even before things started to turn around for them in the last few months.

59 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

I liked it even before things started to turn around for them in the last few months.

I really think that this will even if it wasn't coming already, going to make Microsoft really swing for the fences with their next gen system. I was a Microsoft first guy forever and have to admit I've leaned towards my PS4 pro for a long time now. I mean it's where most my gaming time is spent now. I like the controller better on the X and just think that there is going to be quite the fight for our attension in the coming years and it's a great thing for every one of us that calles themselves even remotely a gamer. Good stuff!

1 minute ago, HardAct said:

I really think that this will even if it wasn't coming already, going to make Microsoft really swing for the fences with their next gen system. I was a Microsoft first guy forever and have to admit I've leaned towards my PS4 pro for a long time now. I mean it's where most my gaming time is spent now. I like the controller better on the X and just think that there is going to be quite the fight for our attension in the coming years and it's a great thing for every one of us that calles themselves even remotely a gamer. Good stuff!

Man, HA, much of what you said is my story.

Don't get me started, BTW, because I was hard on MS in 2012-2013 for apparently resting on their laurels, which turned out to be true.  I love the X1 and I love the PS4 Pro (I like the Switch).  However, I find myself gaming less and although the games are better right now on the PS4 Pro, I just really like the services the X1 provides, as I said.

I have a feeling if their games in the next 2-3 years don't hit that they will increasingly look to their services and less to games for their revenue.

Damn, though, if Phil hasn't been doing a pretty darn good job the last 18 months or so.

Their going to be spending an enormous amount of money to ensure that they have the exclusives that count this time. I just need them to get the hardware right the FIRST time! I can afford it and have bought 2 xbox ones, and xbox one s and and x, but most won't! This is along with their gaming partners is the single most important point they have to NAIL! It's going to be expencive, they are going to lose money on the console in the beginning, they have to be in it for the Looong haul this time. Leave the controller alone, GET THE HARDWARE right the FIRST time, and us the consumers will see that our wallets are there for the taking. Me being a unbiased consumer of consoles as I will buy them all, I will respect it more if they really look at how the new console upgrades felt each time a new one was on the shelf. I just feel this is where they need to get it right, and for Sony too. I'm in, just make the consoles future proof and move on!

Phil has the full backing of the Ceo   Xbox division is in great hands.  Look at all the positive changes that phil has made.  He has talked about his plan and is now in the execution phase. First thing he wanted to do was fix the Hardware.  He did that with the 1x.  He has said all future harware will be made with the same care.  He is adding services to make Xboxlive even more valuable.  GamePass is a stroke of Genius and is worth it alone just to get first party games.  With the acquisition of new studios Games Which is the presumed problem of the xbox line wont be an issue. Phil has stated that they are not done purchasing studios.  So if MS can improve thier games like they have all the other aspects of the Xbox box family the future is Very Very bright.   MS is investing in the future instead of consolidating like they did this gen

7 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Is $10 billion in annual revenue a big number for a console company?

Um Yea! this is just their gaming division too. Microsoft dosen't make the majority of their money in this devision. Unlike Sony if i'm not mistaken, so this is big!

9 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Is $10 billion in annual revenue a big number for a console company?

That's what I was wondering. Was "first time ever" significant for MS or in general?

Last year, Sony's was $18 billion for the fiscal year. And that was a big year for them (as was through April 2018 as well). 

Nintendo's was $9.6 billion last year. Both companies made a very healthy profit.

So take that for what it's worth. Seems pretty healthy. I'm a bit surprised considering its 2017 was incredibly weak in terms of their actual games, but the division includes console sales/controllers/Gamepass/services ASAIK, and they're offering a good product in Gamepass, which takes Sega Channel and brings it to the 21st century (same as PS Now, but Gamepass is a more compelling product at the moment).

6 hours ago, BuckFly said:

Yeah, i was mainly mocking the recurring sentiment for this gen. Despite all the belly-aching that the Xbox doeant have any games and how theyre failing, theyre still doing quite well for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Phil is GOAT :clap: 

He and his team has done as good of a bounce back job as you could expect for the Xbox division.  Everything from the X1S, to the X1X to BC, updates, apps, services, I am pleased with.  They should be in a good position for next gen when the new studios start cranking out games.

If Microsoft's especially good at something, it's changing the narrative around what is success.

They did it first with XBLA, they're doing it again with Gamespass.  It's about dollars to them, not unit sales, and that shows in these subscription models.  They're one of the first to the party, and that could pay off dividends in the years to follow as more publishers launch their own (competing?) subscription services.

I don't necessarily like that future, or how much more it would encourage GAAS-microtransaction models, but we're headed there and Microsoft is right to get a jump on it now.