~*Official Canada Thread of Good Governance and Unnecessary Apologizing*~

The three worst Premiers in Canada (Kenney, Ford, Moe) are demanding Trudeau "go to war" with USA over cancellation of Keystone XL, calling Biden a bully.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7592405/trudeau-premiers-keystone-xl/

During the discussion, aides said Ontario Premier Doug Ford cast his lot in with Alberta’s Jason Kenney and Saskatchewan’s Scott Moe, and warned the prime minister he should stand up to “a bully” like Biden on Keystone.

The characterization surprised some of the other premiers on the call, aides said, given the behaviour of Biden’s predecessor, Donald Trump.

Now, a legitimate concern for trade is:

Ford, along with premiers of other non-oil producing provinces, fear that if Biden can cancel Keystone XL, he’ll also bring in “Buy America” policies to help the American economy recover from the pandemic. A “Buy America” policy, which Biden has promised on the campaign trail, could freeze out Canadian steel, aluminum, and manufactured goods — something that would cause widespread harm to the Canadian economy.

Kenney is the worst Premier in Canada by far (amazing since Ford is also a Premier), and has this to say:

Kenney, who called the cancellation an economic “gut punch,” told reporters Wednesday that Canada should impose trade and economic sanctions on the U.S. if the Biden administration does not agree to further discussions on the future of the project.

It's 100% virtue signalling amidst rapidly falling polling numbers for him, and the growing likelihood that the left-wing NDP will retake power in the next election.

• Guillotine 1

• 2 weeks later...
1612474644333-celinajt.jpeg?image-resize
WWW.VICE.COM

Celina Caesar-Chavannes said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tokenized her and was angry when she resigned. “I had to ask him, ‘Motherfucker, who the fuck do you think you’re talking to?”

“I had to ask him, ‘Motherfucker, who the fuck do you think you’re talking to?’” she said. “I was so angry.” 

She said she didn’t make out what Trudeau said after that, but it “sounded like he was crying.”

From what I understand, she approached her role in Ottawa as an activist, not a traditional MP, and that ruffled feathers in a city where people place too much emphasis on propriety. That's not to excuse the racism that exists, because it does, and in fact people reacting the way they did to her outspoken attitude is a part of that racism. There is a real chance she was difficult to work with, as many people who attain that high of office tend to be, but because she was black and outspoken she had labels assigned to her that weren't assigned to similarly outspoken white men. Unfortunately, while Canada does fairly well (and is improving) on electing women and visible minorities to Parliament, there is still a culture of privilege in all major parties. And more than that, even, there is a culture of "shut the fuck up and tow the party line, or else."

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the government needs to take a stronger stance. Unfortunately thanks to the previous Conservative government we are economically tied too closely to Chinese investment. In the near to mid future I expect both parties to be hardline anti-China while out of power to garner nationalist votes, and blissfully silent while in power.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, chakoo said:

Gotta love how the CPC is so Gunn-ho to see two Canadians killed because they have nothing good to go on atm. CPC doesn’t give a fuck about the Uyghurs.

So are the lives of two people, who were arrested because the government arrested a very powerful, rich Chinese National, worth more than a whole ethnic group?

I'm sure there is politics involved, but they still did the right thing.

• 2 weeks later...
WWW.MSN.COM

America didn’t do so great in 2020. The national response to the coronavirus pandemic was haphazard, with foolish fights over masks and distancing. Then President Trump refused to admit he lost the presidential election, fomenting an anti-democratic uprising that culminated in the deadly riots at the U.S. Capitol early this year. The United States dropped from first to second place among the best countries to...

This subject ties in with the government's new plan to boost immigration: keep the people that are already here. Basically, we want to increase our population by 1% per year with just immigration, but it's hard to do that now thanks to the pandemic. Solution? Invite the people that are already here on temporary permits (for school, work, etc) to become permanent residents, and then citizens. They may have fewer immigration points that some applicants elsewhere...but they already live here and contribute to our society. Apparently this has already been implemented quietly as of last month.

If a federal election is held any time soon, five million or more Canadians could vote by mail. The fact that this is not terribly controversial is just wonderful.

The COVID-19 pandemic threw traditional approaches to voting into chaos. How governments have responded says a lot about the political culture of their jurisdictions.

Study after study after study reveals that voting fraud is extremely rare, and fear of it concocted by Republicans and right-wing media. The Republican bills would suppress the vote among Blacks, Latinos and low-income citizens, who vote mostly for Democrats and like to vote by mail. They are Jim Crow bills.

Nothing like this is happening in Canada. Instead, proposed new federal legislation to protect the safety of voters and election workers if a nationwide vote is called during the pandemic appears to have all-party support.

Marilyn Gladu, the party’s critic on the file, said the Conservatives support mail-in balloting, and would even be prepared to consider entrenching the practice in future elections.

“We need to observe that the provisions work the way they were intended, that people continue to have confidence in the process, that it did protect the workers,” she told me. If so, “then those things would be things that we would consider implementing permanently.”

tl;dr: All parties in Canada support mail-in ballots, possibly even making them permanent.

That might get me to actually vote without being nagged into doing so by my mom. I voted in the last election in early voting that my mom found out about and wanted to make sure she voted because “every vote helps keep the PC party out” She’s not a fan of their leaders 

22 hours ago, Jason said:

Here in ontario according to our Premier this is all the federal government's fault somehow. While the local health officials are yelling fire fire, our Premier says he is listening and has deemed it safe to open more stuff up. In the span of 2 weeks we went from around 1,000 daily cases to 2,500 and will probably be back up to 3,000+ in the first week of april. 

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Here in ontario according to our Premier this is all the federal government's fault somehow. While the local health officials are yelling fire fire, our Premier says he is listening and has deemed it safe to open more stuff up. In the span of 2 weeks we went from around 1,000 daily cases to 2,500 and will probably be back up to 3,000+ in the first week of april. 

In SK we were under 100/day on average, now we are over 250/day. In Regina it's over 120/day (which is like, 5,500/day for Ontario). Shit's fucked and people aren't taking it seriously. All restaurants were just ordered to close today in Regina and Moose Jaw (except delivery/pickup), and private gatherings are banned...except Churches and gyms.

I am supposed to shoot a small elopement/wedding in 4 weeks, including indoor preparation shots, and then the ceremony (which is just bride and groom, plus priest and maybe one or two others...but indoors). At this point, I am getting very close to saying now and providing a full refund (along with finding a replacement photographer). My own safety (and that of my wife) comes before wedding pictures. Especially since I chose to have my own wedding with just an officiant in the park last summer, no ceremony or pictures at all. 

23 hours ago, chakoo said:

I really hope we don't re-elect Ford come election time. 

55 minutes ago, Brick said:

I really hope we don't re-elect Ford come election time. 

The PCs are still currently polling in the lead. Ford has the Trump effect where people will gloss over his obvious failings because "he isn't politically correct!" Basically boomers support him en mass. I mean, obviously the NDP+Liberal vote is much higher, but they split if perfectly in Ontario which allows the PCs to win.

The problem with ontario atm is the OLP is pretty weak and picked a bad leader and ONDP has been working with an ineffective leader who hasn't been doing enough to capitalize on the consistent mistakes by ford. ONDP have slightly improve recently but for much of this pandemic have been MIA.

Also FFS......

health-coronavirus-vaccine.JPG
WWW.CBC.CA

Canada's vaccine advisory committee is recommending immediately suspending the use of the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine in Canadians under 55, following reports of rare but potentially fatal blood clots in Europe that appear to be connected to the shot.

What blows me away is some of the Drs quoted in the article were all saying everything was good when europe pulled AZ for a week.

Recent polls don't paint a good picture for O'Toole (new Conservative leader). It's anticipated that the Liberals are itching for an election to try and return themselves to majority government, and right now, it looks possible that they'd get their wish. I don't think they'll call it until fall, however, unless the oppositions parties force it.

otoole_trudeau-mashup-750x375.jpg
WWW.HILLTIMES.COM

Though the poll suggested that Liberals were the 'clear favourites' to preside over a majority, the temptation of provoking parties into triggering an election may be dampened by concerns about the spread of more contagious, deadlier variants, which have been steadily driving up infection rates and ICU admissions of late. 

Yup, Ontario is currently a massive shit show with public verbal fights between the medical community pushing for harsher restrictions and Ford dragging his feet. They recently claimed schools are 99% safe and not responsible for transmissions when there are a growing number of cases from kids getting sick at school and taking it home.