Coke says it’s raising U.S. soda prices as retaliation to Trump's tariffs hit can costs

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, sodas are poison, but so is alcohol. I don't see any of the good folks here condemning that. 

For the record, I'm not a teetotaler, but I see a lot of people who have completely destroyed themselves with booze. It's not a pretty death. 

Nevada is in the top 5 for soda drinking but I believe a lot of that is alcohol mixed in soda like Jack and Coke.

4 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I still love the occasional Coke, but since I started trying to lose weight, I've started drinking less of it, as well as a lot more water.

I gave up sugar (for the most part) two months back. I struggled for a bit with diet coke and then started drinking coke zero, such a better tasting drink.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I still love the occasional Coke, but since I started trying to lose weight, I've started drinking less of it, as well as a lot more water.

I more-or-less only drink water, I'll have a Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi once/month, at most - the exception being my BCAA and pre-workout powders. Honestly, if Coke removed aspartame from their diet/zero drinks, I'd switch to Cherry Coke Zero :p 

I just hate drinking my calories.

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I used to be crazy addicted to Diet Mountain Dew, but after reading more about how bad diet soda is for your metabolism, I've more or less given up soda entirely. 

My wife and I live off that garbage.

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I used to be crazy addicted to Diet Mountain Dew, but after reading more about how bad diet soda is for your metabolism, I've more or less given up soda entirely. 

Ehhhhhhhh, the jury is very much out on that as the studies available tend to conflict.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/224712-diet-sodas-effects-on-liver-functions/

Basically put, in moderation, it's unlikely to affect you positively or negatively.

EDIT: Sucralose vs Aspartame is something that really needs to be taken into consideration as well.

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Ehhhhhhhh, the jury is very much out on that as the studies available tend to conflict.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/224712-diet-sodas-effects-on-liver-functions/

Basically put, in moderation, it's unlikely to affect you positively or negatively.

EDIT: Sucralose vs Aspartame is something that really needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Except that's just focusing on liver function; your metabolism isn't just a function of your liver.

https://news.yale.edu/2017/08/10/sweet-taste-not-just-calories-dictates-metabolic-response

https://www.endocrine.org/news-room/current-press-releases/low-calorie-sweeteners-promote-fat-accumulation-in-human-fat

https://cen.acs.org/biological-chemistry/biochemistry/Artificial-sweetener-triggers-metabolic-changes/96/i18

51 minutes ago, Chris- said:

That’s because I scrolled too far and it redirected, thus I linked the wrong article :p  

https://www.livestrong.com/article/503618-does-diet-soda-slow-the-metabolism/

Weight Loss Still Possible

In 2014, the “American Journal of Clinical Nutrition” published a meta-analysis -- an examination of a range of research studies -- stating that it's possible to lose weight by consuming artificial sweeteners in food or beverages. The analysis looked at a total of 15 clinical trials and nine cohort studies. Findings indicated that substituting artificially sweetened products for higher-calorie counterparts, like sugar-sweetened drinks, did not lead to increased weight or fat mass, and in the clinical trials it actually resulted in “modest” weight loss.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I more-or-less only drink water, I'll have a Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi once/month, at most - the exception being my BCAA and pre-workout powders. Honestly, if Coke removed aspartame from their diet/zero drinks, I'd switch to Cherry Coke Zero :p 

I just hate drinking my calories.

What’s wrong with aspartame?

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

All these studies suck, none are randomized control trials and the other posted by spork is an animal trial that doesn’t even make clear the dosage. 

Observational studies are the bottom rung of medical research. 

6 minutes ago, outsida said:

All these studies suck, none are randomized control trials and the other posted by spork is an animal trial that doesn’t even make clear the dosage. 

Observational studies are the bottom rung of medical research. 

Oh my bad, I didn't realize I'm not allowed to make relatively mundane and minute personal choices if there aren't randomized control trials to support those decisions. Shit! Think of all the precious little diet sodas I've neglected to drink.

10 minutes ago, outsida said:

What’s wrong with aspartame?

I was actually thinking of saccharin, though, I think the cancer-thing was debunked.

3 minutes ago, outsida said:

Right, I was just posting an article that notates the conflicting reports, I wasn’t even attempting to list studies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4990242/#!po=64.1667

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Oh my bad, I didn't realize I'm not allowed to make relatively mundane and minute personal choices if there aren't randomized control trials to support those decisions. Shit! Think of all the precious little diet sodas I've neglected to drink.

You can do whatever you like, no one is stating otherwise.

21 minutes ago, Chris- said:

No one is saying you must dictate your life only based on the best and latest scientific research. But when people attack artificial sweeteners with faulty evidence the public will continue to drink real sweeteners and continue to get fat and get metabolic disease. 

28 minutes ago, Chris- said:

There ya go. Overreact about that post.

11 minutes ago, outsida said:

You can do whatever you want. But when people attack artificial sweeteners with faulty evidence the public will continue to drink real sweeteners and continue to get fat and get metabolic disease. 

Or, maybe they will drink water. Interesting you would bemoan 'faulty evidence', then immediately resort to a logical fallacy.

In any case, that's not the point. The point is that it's wholly silly, not to mention grating, that a comment I made about a mundane decision elicited a rebuke about scientific rigor. Save the proselytizing for when I talk about not vaccinating my child or something. The unopened Diet Mountain Dews in my fridge aren't exactly worth a treatise on the fidelity of methodologies. 

5 minutes ago, Scape Zero said:

There ya go. Overreact about that post.

The speed and willingness with which you enter conversations to tell someone they're mad will never cease to be amusing.

11 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Or, maybe they will drink water. Interesting you would bemoan 'faulty evidence', then immediately resort to a logical fallacy.

Thankfully people are drinking more water. 

bm-fr_06-10-2.png

Also, what’s the logical fallacy I’m guilty of?

3 minutes ago, outsida said:

bm-fr_06-10-2.png

That if people are turned off to artificial sweeteners, they will continue to drink sugary drinks. That's a false dilemma. 

10 minutes ago, outsida said:

bm-fr_06-10-2.png

It's sad that despite that graph, obesity is still going up.  Crazy.

And yes, I know that there a LOT more factors into the obesity epidemic than soda, but still.

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

That if people are turned off to artificial sweeteners, they will continue to drink sugary drinks. That's a false dilemma. 

But didn’t you post articles that painted artificial sweeteners in a negative light vs natural sweeteners? Your articles introduced that dichotomy