The Last of Us Part II OT - Best Served Cold, update: the story behind the game's realistic facial animations (PlayStation Blog)

SaysWho?

Maybe if she looked like this:

main-nataliya-1109.jpg

37c6b969d951d61f558f7c3fe22b6860.jpg

Female_muscle_18_by_BigDane_400x400.jpg

Then I'd wonder where she found the time or what purpose it would serve.

But Abby just looks like a muscular woman. They exist. She's not "exaggerated" lol

Besides, this has nothing to do with realism; the comparison was already made to not wanting to play as ugly, obese women. :shameonyou:

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Why is talking about a character who is muscular considered a spoiler?

The context of why she is so muscular is a part of the story. And part of why we're talking about it is that 

Spoiler

you play as her for half of the game

which might be common knowledge by now, but is intended to be a surprise. 

12 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

After years of total secrecy, Neil Druckmann and Halley Gross sit down for the first extensive spoiler-filled interview about the most ambitious story in modern video game history.

Stuff like this drives me nuts. We can quibble about what they might mean by “most ambitious” but... no. It’s not that.

Interesting article in general though, none of the cut content they talk about is from where I assumed most of it would be.

I’ve been thinking about the gameplay a bit, having not touched the game since I finished, and have come to the conclusion that one of the groups is a bit of a missed opportunity from that POV.

Spoiler

The Seraphites are... kinda disappointing? When you first run into them, they’re whistling, and I was pumped that we’d see a change in tactics from the WLF... but we don’t. Other than a couple of them holding bows, they’re no different from any of the other, human enemies. This is kind of a bummer! It’s clear from the stuff they build and the way they approach conflict with the WLF that they wouldn’t be able to hang in straight up open combat or a frontal assault. It would have been rad if they approached combat in a stealthy way or if encounters with them were different. Sneaking around their home turf doesn’t feel any different than being in a random, abandoned building... but maybe it should!

5 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

No lies detected

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

“It’s just not realistic that in this post-mushroom-zombie-apocalypse world someone could find enough protein to get that swole unless there’s a Y chromosome up in there somewhere,” and other shit gobbling takes.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I guess I'm not at the point where I find out why the body type is like that.

I HAVE noticed 

Reveal hidden contents

the difference between the flashbacks and current day, so I guess I figured there might be some explanation given.

Spoiler

It’s a training montage set to You’re The Best Around where Abby races runners, bench presses shamblers, and does lunges while holding the skulls of clickers.

• Haha 5

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Hide contents

It’s a training montage set to You’re The Best Around where Abby races runners, bench presses shamblers, and does lunges while holding the skulls of clickers.

If I heard that during this game's story, it would be glorious.

Also, something I noticed around 60% - 70% of the way through. As vague as possible, I'm at a point that deals with something very tall and scary.

Spoiler

Not that it has to do with that building, but it occurred to me when I was leaving to go get medicine with the seraphite "apostate" that the dog I killed was Ellie when I fell through the duct was that adorable Alice, FUCK!

• Sad 1

50%+ spoilers

Spoiler

As Abby, if you go near an edge of a tall building/whatever that you're on and have the camera look down she, the depth of field stretches and she starts audibly and visibly freaking out, highlighting her fear of heights. It's a nice touch.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Why am I not surprised some people are upset that a woman is really strong?

More people than horny incels play games.

I said in the other thread people have a problem with Abby's muscular design even though it's perfectly fine (and even explained in game). Sad.

18 hours ago, SimpleG said:
  Hide contents

She was a little exaggerated but not much and certainly not when we compare to other buff characters.Just an FYI some girls have small titties and in shape very muscular low body fat women will have smaller boobs. This women has very close body type to Abby

San Antonio bodybuilder makes strides in her goals while living ...

My issue with it was that there was little to no real verifying this is who we are looking for from the group 

I also would like to have seen more of that instead of the repeated ad nauseam neighborhoods that we got.

19 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I finished it, it took me 35 hours and that was taking my time searching everywhere for ammo, collectibles, crafting materials, health items, notes, supplements, etc.

I enjoyed every minute of it and some really cool stuff happens throughout, but the story and ending didn't really do it for me. While the story was somewhat entertaining due to a lot of the events that occur in it and how well that it's told, I wouldn't really call it good. It was kind of all over the place, and I think that a lot of things that happen in it should have been handled better/differently. The first game had a much better story IMO.

The best aspects of the game are its graphics, environment designs and gameplay IMO. It looks stunning, and the combat is a lot of fun. But I feel that the game starts out better than it becomes later since it offers more exploration, environmental puzzles and platforming early on and then kind of becomes more of a straight forward linear action game later.

The following are some specific things that I didn't like about it:

Hide contents

Abby's muscular physique was exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness, and I found it distracting the entire time that she was onscreen whether it be in story scenes or when I was playing her. She looked great in the flashbacks when she was younger and thinner, but they went overboard with her current look. Some muscles would have been fine, but making her look like He-Man was absurd. Also, why didn't she have breasts? If she did, it would have made her cringe-y sex scene a little less cringe-y. :p

How quickly and viciously Joel was attacked and killed by Abby seemed completely unrealistic. I get that she was looking for him for a long time to get revenge for him killing her dad (which was a lame plot device IMO), but he just literally saved her life right before her attacking him. Perhaps that wouldn't change her mind about killing him, but I would think that it would have maybe made her hesitate and think about it a little first instead of instantly whipping out a shotgun and blowing off his kneecap and grabbing a golf club and beating him to death with it as soon as he said his name.

Not physically traveling to Seattle in the beginning felt like a missed opportunity to me. I was looking forward to that journey, but I was robbed of it. Even just a short cut-scene montage of the journey would have been better than nothing at all. I realize that some of the journey was mentioned in Ellie's Journal, but that's stuff that I want to play not just read about.

I didn't like that the bulk of the game took place in Seattle as it started becoming a little same-y looking, especially since you play through it as both Ellie and Abby. It was nice going to California at the end, but that part of the game was extremely brief. It seemed rushed, and you didn't get to spend much time there at all. It felt like they were originally going to make it a bigger part of the game, but cut it short due to time constraints. I also didn't like that they didn't really explain the Rattlers, they were a briefly encountered enemy faction in California with no explanation given as to who they were or why they were taking countless people as slaves.

You don't get to play as Ellie enough. While I liked Abby's portion of the game, I would have liked to have played as Ellie a lot more before playing as Abby. This game has always been shown as being Ellie's revenge tale, but then you only get to play as her for half the game (and briefly at the end).

And finally... WTF is up with Ellie's switchblade? It's virtually indestructible while crowbars in the game crumble after hitting an enemy a few times (which literally made me LOL). The blade on Ellie's switchblade would have broke off the very first time that she used it on an enemy, so why Naughty Dog felt that a switchblade was the right choice of knife to give Ellie to use throughout the game when there are so many military knives out there that would have made a lot more sense is baffling. Also, I didn't like that Ellie used it during the final fight with Abby. I would have enjoyed that fight a lot more had it been a fair fistfight from the start since it seemed uncharacteristic of Ellie to just start cutting the shit out of unarmed, frail, thin and weak Abby.

Spoiler

I honestly thought Abby was trans the majority of the time she's in the game and I thought that was what the big second half controversy that had all the bigots review bombing the game. If the big bigot bait is that Lev is trans, then that's really sad because Lev is possibly the best character in the game, or definitely at least the best side character. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Maybe if she looked like this:

main-nataliya-1109.jpg

37c6b969d951d61f558f7c3fe22b6860.jpg

Female_muscle_18_by_BigDane_400x400.jpg

Then I'd wonder where she found the time or what purpose it would serve.

But Abby just looks like a muscular woman. They exist. She's not "exaggerated" lol

I didn't know that it was possible for women to get THAT muscular... dayum! I guess that Abby's physique isn't as exaggerated/unrealistic looking as I thought. I admit that I was wrong.

10 minutes ago, Dodger said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah, Lev is female to male transgendered. I agree that he's one of the best characters in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also since we're talking about it, female body builders in todays world with available gyms and steroids are an extremely small part of the population. Unless you happen to be a gym freak, you aren't running into too many women who look like that, and she is more than just a little toned/buff. She even looks out of place in the game, since she is literally more jacked than not only every other female in the game, but every other male in the game as well with really only Owen coming close. They managed to make the other females in the game look normal and not  overly sexualized. So yes, Abby looks abnormal, both in the real world and in the game world. Not to say there aren't women that look like that, but it's not a high percentage. 

14 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Also since we're talking about it, female body builders in todays world with available gyms and steroids are an extremely small part of the population. Unless you happen to be a gym freak, you aren't running into too many women who look like that, and she is more than just a little toned/buff. She even looks out of place in the game, since she is literally more jacked than not only every other female in the game, but every other male in the game as well with really only Owen coming close. They managed to make the other females in the game look normal and not  overly sexualized. So yes, Abby looks abnormal, both in the real world and in the game world. Not to say there aren't women that look like that, but it's not a high percentage. 

It's a bodytype that's more common than some might think, though it definitely seemed rare decades ago. Also it's good keep in mind how that physique might be more of a standard in a world filled to the brim with sprinting flesh-eating zombies, especially if you're someone who's actively going outside and exploring it.  If anything doesn't make sense it's that Ellie isn't more swole (even if not as big as Abby) than she appears in the game.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Abby’s look needs no explanation beyond her circumstances. These takes are weird as hell.

Literally no other character in the game looks like her, though as Heydude mentions, that's probably weird that more people aren't given how the state of the world is in the game. 

22 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Literally no other character in the game looks like her, though as Heydude mentions, that's probably weird that more people aren't given how the state of the world is in the game. 

I haven't played it yet to know for sure if that's the case, but I would say it might make sense for how swole someone looks to depend on what activities they do/have done in the story and during gameplay and the rules established in the game's world.  Ellie is nimble and is good at dodging attacks. Fair enough, but if she kills as many people via melee weapons or bare hands who are rugged killers as Joel did in the first game, it would probably make more sense for her to be physically imposing (due to his clothing I'm not entirely sure what Joel's build is or if his past reveals something that gives context to why he has such high skills as a killer).  But also, imo this isn't to say the game needs to be or SHOULD be entirely consistent in its hyperreal style.  This is because it doesn't seem to be as interested in emulating the real world as it is using a hyperrealist art style for emotional effect.  

3 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

I haven't played it yet to know for sure if that's the case, but I would say it would make sense for how swole someone looks to depend on what activities they do/have done in the story and during gameplay and the rules established in the game's universe.  Ellie is nimble and is good at dodging attacks. Fair enough, but if she kills as many people via melee weapons or bare hands who are rugged killers as Joel did in the first game, it would probably make more sense for her to be physically imposing (due to his clothing I'm not entirely sure what Joel's build is or if his past reveals something that gives context to why he has such high skills as a killer).  But also, imo this isn't to say the game needs to be or SHOULD be entirely consistent in its hyperreal style.  Because it doesn't seem to be as interested in emulating the real world as it is using a hyperrealist art style for emotional effect.  

Funny thing is, Ellie is technically a better melee character in the beginning because she has the switchblade, You can't stealth kill the first few clickers as Abby because she doesn't have shivs yet. 

1 hour ago, heydude93 said:

It's a bodytype that's more common than some might think, though it definitely seemed rare decades ago.

I think it still rare enough if someone with her body type walked by most of us would be like

admire gifs | WiffleGif

2 hours ago, heydude93 said:

Also it's good keep in mind how that physique might be more of a standard in a world filled to the brim with sprinting flesh-eating zombies, especially if you're someone who's actively going outside and exploring it. 

While I love Abbys build it more then likely be closer to this

female triathlete | Tumblr

or this

Harvard Female Rugby Players Photo Series Body Image | Womens ...
Which is closer to Ellies build. 

I think I Abby built her body for revenge and it fits.

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

I would guess that was intentional by the devs to show the lengths Abby will go to get what she wants 

It's just weird to me that people would even think to note it at all. First time I saw Abby, I was like: "muscular woman" in the same way I'd note a muscular man, and moved on, never to be thought of again.

Why would there be any focus on that? I didn't see people questioning Schwarzenegger's physique in every movie, even when it didn't necessarily make sense. 

5 hours ago, Dodger said:

Hide contents

I honestly thought Abby was trans the majority of the time she's in the game and I thought that was what the big second half controversy that had all the bigots review bombing the game. If the big bigot bait is that Lev is trans, then that's really sad because Lev is possibly the best character in the game, or definitely at least the best side character. 

Spoiler

Lev is absolutely my favorite character in the game. And Abby is second won by the "You are my people" line. broken heart crying GIF

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, legend said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It's a nice ark and everything, but I still hate Abby. The more I think about it, honestly the less it works for me. Sure her helping out Lev and his sister and the fear of heights thing was all nice, but I just don't think it makes up for everything else. So not only does she go on a 5 year revenge pursuit, presumably she became female Batman just so she can kill Joel one day. Then Joel saves her life and she immediately tortures him to death the second she sees him, and finishes him off in front of a screaming ellie without even a flinch. But I'm just supposed to forgive all that because she's nice to the two "scars" her save her life later? Nope, still not working for me. 

People say this game is about showing how the quest for revenge isn't worth it and can cost you everything, but it's really just Ellie who suffers. Abby's life goes pretty swimmingly after killing Joel and most of her problems in life come from helping Lev and the sister, not from Ellie. Ellie kills her friends sure, but arguably Ellie saves her life, since Abby would have died on the pillars if Ellie didn't come along. It's Ellie who loses everything because of what Joel did, Abby barely suffers after killing Joel. 

They did some nice things with Abby and they try to humanize her, but I was still rooting for Ellie to kill her the entire time. 

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Hide contents

It's a nice ark and everything, but I still hate Abby. The more I think about it, honestly the less it works for me. Sure her helping out Lev and his sister and the fear of heights thing was all nice, but I just don't think it makes up for everything else. So not only does she go on a 5 year revenge pursuit, presumably she became female Batman just so she can kill Joel one day. Then Joel saves her life and she immediately tortures him to death the second she sees him, and finishes him off in front of a screaming ellie without even a flinch. But I'm just supposed to forgive all that because she's nice to the two "scars" her save her life later? Nope, still not working for me. 

People say this game is about showing how the quest for revenge isn't worth it and can cost you everything, but it's really just Ellie who suffers. Abby's life goes pretty swimmingly after killing Joel and most of her problems in life come from helping Lev and the sister, not from Ellie. Ellie kills her friends sure, but arguably Ellie saves her life, since Abby would have died on the pillars if Ellie didn't come along. It's Ellie who loses everything because of what Joel did, Abby barely suffers after killing Joel. 

They did some nice things with Abby and they try to humanize her, but I was still rooting for Ellie to kill her the entire time. 

Spoiler

If you hate Abby for killing Joel I have absolutely no idea how you also don’t hate Ellie and Joel.

And all your friends dying cannot be brushed off as not that bad.

• Like 1