The Last of Us Part II OT - Best Served Cold, update: the story behind the game's realistic facial animations (PlayStation Blog)

SaysWho?

No multiplayer is a surprise, especially after the first game's was surprisingly great. I thought they would expand on it more. It's fine though as they're focusing on the story and making sure that is perfected, and putting all resources into that. 

I wonder though if multiplayer could be an added mode post launch or not. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Last of Us Part II Comes to PS4 in May

To our fans,

Let me cut to the chase and get the news out of the way. The Last of Us Part II has a new release date of May 29, 2020.

I know. It was just about a month ago when we had our big blowout for the game, letting media play over two hours of it along with debuting our new story trailer and revealing the release date. The positive response we saw from our community was overwhelming. You can feel the energy among the team members. After working on something for so many years, it’s invigorating to get a glimpse of validation for all the hard work.

However, it was during the last few weeks, as we were closing out sections of the game, that we realized we simply didn’t have enough time to bring the entire game up to a level of polish we would call Naughty Dog quality. At this point we were faced with two options: compromise parts of the game or get more time. We went with the latter, and this new release date allows us to finish everything to our level of satisfaction while also reducing stress on the team.

While we’re relieved that we won’t have to compromise our vision, we’re disappointed that we weren’t able to avoid this exact situation. We wish we could’ve foreseen the amount of polish we needed, but the size and scope of this game got the better of us. We hate disappointing our fans and for that we’re sorry.

We hope you understand that this additional time ensures that The Last of Us Part II lives up to our collective ambition as well as our commitment to the highest level of quality. We know the extra few months will add to what may already be an excruciating wait for all of us. We are grateful for your patience and continued support. Come next May, you will finally rejoin Ellie in The Last of Us Part II.

-Neil

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

An I the only one that doesn't mind game delays anymore? So many games out I always have something to play.

Nope. There have been too many games that have released that I felt needed more time, and were probably rushed, so if a game is delayed to make it better, then take all the time you need devs.

Also I was just thinking about hearing that this game will be on two discs. Is that confirmed? With the way PS4 games work games are downloaded straight to the hard drive, so the disc basically just acts as a key to play it, so why would the game need to be on two discs? 

• 5 months later...

That stinks. :(

That said, I wonder if the decision to not release the game at all is going to be tenable if the current situation holds. Why not release it digitally? The desire to get it into everyone's hands at the same time is a noble one and I can appreciate not wanting to leave people who cannot download it out of the mix... but Naughty Dog has bills to pay, no doubt. Hmm.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

That stinks. :(

That said, I wonder if the decision to not release the game at all is going to be tenable if the current situation holds. Why not release it digitally? The desire to get it into everyone's hands at the same time is a noble one and I can appreciate not wanting to leave people who cannot download it out of the mix... but Naughty Dog has bills to pay, no doubt. Hmm.

Given the still prevalent level of physical sales, and the importance of launch timing on sales, they are likely concerned about the overall negative impact on sales.