The Last of Us Part II OT - Best Served Cold, update: the story behind the game's realistic facial animations (PlayStation Blog)

SaysWho?

At a certain point I wonder if an early digital release followed by later retail would just make retailers blow them off.  It’s not like there won’t be dozens of other games in the same situation looking for shelf space they could more prominently feature.  

Also I have to imagine Sony and Naughty Dog are doing the math on whether or not it’s currently worth it to release a game where airborne particles breathed in cause a global pandemic that results in the total destruction of society...

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Brick said:

Game will be 100GB. Physical copies will come with two discs. 

In the article they say if you're planning on buying digital to get ready for a 100 gig download, but with the way PS4 games work, don't you download from the disc regardless, turning the disc into just a key pass in order to play the game? 

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

18 minutes ago, jaethos said:

PS4 installs from the disc, so you need the space on your HDD, but you don't need to worry about a 100GB download. A lot of people have data caps and slow download speeds 

Yeah but the way they worded it made it sound like only getting the digital copy will make the game download and install on your drive. 

3 hours ago, johnny said:

That trailer got me hyped you crazy 

Maybe. 

As I said in the other thread. (Not really spoillery.)

Spoiler

The story seemed to be about terrible people doing terrible things, and this trailer seemed to reinforce that.

Spoliiery:

Spoiler

From about the 1:30 point in this trailer there is a montage of Ellie killing other people in a brutal, cold-blooded, borderline-sadistic way, that seems (to me) to foreshadow her heel-turn in the middle of the game and specifically reinforced my concern that this is just a game about terrible people doing terrible things.

The plot summary that I read several weeks ago has now been significantly re-written, and has been toned down.  So perhaps my pre-conceived notions will not come to fruition.

That said, different people have different tastes in narratives, so this may be more about my tastes than the overall quality of the game/story.

I’m personally really excited for the game based on the story. But I totally get why people would be turned off. My wife hates stories where none of the characters are really “good”. And that trailer def gives off a vibe of just dark, violent, terribleness haha

I don’t trust Naughty Dog to effectively handle the story themes they seem to be leaning into with that trailer and their talk that the focus of this game is “hate” doesn’t inspire confidence either. But hey as long as they end up proving the “Joel did nothing wrong” crowd wrong, I’ll be all in.

59 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t trust Naughty Dog to effectively handle the story themes they seem to be leaning into with that trailer and their talk that the focus of this game is “hate” doesn’t inspire confidence either. But hey as long as they end up proving the “Joel did nothing wrong” crowd wrong, I’ll be all in.

"Joel did nothing wrong" crowd? 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yes. There’s a vocal part of the fandom that insists that Joel did nothing wrong at the finale of TLoU.

Never heard of said group. I'm guessing about the whole saving Ellie even though she might have been a key to a cure, and slaughtering everyone in the hospital that got in his way, including the doctor that posed no threat to him? 

34 minutes ago, Brick said:

Never heard of said group. I'm guessing about the whole saving Ellie even though she might have been a key to a cure, and slaughtering everyone in the hospital that got in his way, including the doctor that posed no threat to him? 

That would be correct, I think he's referring to that. 

17 minutes ago, johnny said:

I ordered the collectors edition. Is that supposedly shipping on time? Since they delayed because of the virus. 

Probably as it's already gone gold. The whole point was delaying until they logistically could get it out on time.