Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dexterryu

General Gaming Looking for some game suggestions while were in lockdown

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, eggydoo said:

Both recent AssCreed games are cheap right now and play very similar to an action RPG (like Witcher). Not sure if you got to play Odyssey for free during this past weekend.  Also Odyssey is crazy huge and definitely can sink in hours of time on it. 

Edit: Just saw you most likely already played both Asscreeds so....

 

I as well could never finish a Dark Souls game mainly cause the genre stresses me out.  The furthest I ever gotten was the first one.  Sekiro is definitely a different vibe, IMO.  There is less rolling around like Blanka that most of this genre has and it's not as emo death like the others.  The combat/movement in Sekiro is fantastic and it's the first souls type game I played and finished sans the optional ultra hard boss.

I've completed every AC game so far. I enjoyed them even though they get a little too far into the UBI loop for me.

 

I'll definitely give Sekiro a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My lockdown playlist so far has been replaying original Tomb Raider 1 through Chronicles on PC. Started on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I'm limited to Xbox and PC games for the moment ( my PS4 is back at my place in Cali) I've been playing Doom Eternal, Deus Ex Mankind Divided Resident Evil 2 mostly.  I'm playing Jill's campaign now. I have plenty to play and I'm sticking mostly to single player games for the most part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bloodporne said:

I keep eyeing this game and don't really get a feel of what the gameplay loop is really like. What would you approximately compare it to gameplay wise?

 

It's hard to compare it to anything specifically, though the closest might be Breath of the Wild  if only because they are both completely self-led.  Outer Wilds doesn't really give you anything - everything is up to you to discover and piece together.  It's devoid of any stats, progression, or upgrades.  Everything in the game is about learning and discovery.  I've never had as many "wow" moments in a game, and in the end I was just left speechless at how they were able to design something so intricate and carefully plotted, knowing that there is no linear path through the game and people would have very different experiences.  As a game it's brilliant, but as a piece of design it's basically dumbfounding.

 

A lot of people don't like it, which is fine but also hard for me to understand.  It was just absolutely in the sweet spot for me, and I look forward to the day when another game affects me the same way.  To get back to your question, it's basically a first-person physics-based exploration and platforming game with very light survival elements.  Imagine if No Man's Sky was extremely fun, and instead of being procedurally-generated, the world was meticulously designed to function like a clock and you have to identify each gear in order to progress.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

 

It's hard to compare it to anything specifically, though the closest might be Breath of the Wild  if only because they are both completely self-led.  Outer Wilds doesn't really give you anything - everything is up to you to discover and piece together.  It's devoid of any stats, progression, or upgrades.  Everything in the game is about learning and discovery.  I've never had as many "wow" moments in a game, and in the end I was just left speechless at how they were able to design something so intricate and carefully plotted, knowing that there is no linear path through the game and people would have very different experiences.  As a game it's brilliant, but as a piece of design it's basically dumbfounding.

 

A lot of people don't like it, which is fine but also hard for me to understand.  It was just absolutely in the sweet spot for me, and I look forward to the day when another game affects me the same way.  To get back to your question, it's basically a first-person physics-based exploration and platforming game with very light survival elements.  Imagine if No Man's Sky was extremely fun, and instead of being procedurally-generated, the world was meticulously designed to function like a clock and you have to identify each gear in order to progress.

 

 

Honestly, that sounds amazing and quite possibly like the pure Adventure game I've been wanting to play. Well, at least on "paper", I'll report back when I get to it. 

 

Did you play on PC or console? Wondering whether I should do PC or PS4 Pro. I prefer playing on a controller typically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

Honestly, that sounds amazing and quite possibly like the pure Adventure game I've been wanting to play. Well, at least on "paper", I'll report back when I get to it. 

 

Did you play on PC or console? Wondering whether I should do PC or PS4 Pro. I prefer playing on a controller typically. 

I played it on Xbox game pass with a controller and it worked really well.  Another common complaint was the controls, which is very confusing as I thought they were excellent.  Remember you are dealing with physics, and a big part of the fun is miss-timing a jump or a landing your ship and having to get yourself out of a sticky situations!  One of the coolest things about the game is that it is a complete subversion of the typical video game power fantasy - the world is not there to be mastered, you're just trying to survive and solve the mystery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I played it on Xbox game pass with a controller and it worked really well.  Another common complaint was the controls, which is very confusing as I thought they were excellent.  Remember you are dealing with physics, and a big part of the fun is miss-timing a jump or a landing your ship and having to get yourself out of a sticky situations!  One of the coolest things about the game is that it is a complete subversion of the typical video game power fantasy - the world is not there to be mastered, you're just trying to survive and solve the mystery.

Again, the kind of shit I like. I mean, I absolutely loved Death Stranding most recently, not that I'm saying it's the same thing but I like the aspect of the uncaring world just kind of being there and fuck you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bloodporne said:

I keep eyeing this game and don't really get a feel of what the gameplay loop is really like. What would you approximately compare it to gameplay wise?

 

The closest analog is probably Myst, but it's still fairly unique compared to that.

 

I had a weird relationship with the game. Much of it is incredibly brilliant. But it gets marred, IMO, but a few nagging issues. Specifically, working on a puzzle may require you to wait for a narrow window of time, so that if you don't get what you were trying to do, you'll have to wait again. There were times where I left the game running and just made a sandwich to pass the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, legend said:

 

The closest analog is probably Myst, but it's still fairly unique compared to that.

 

I had a weird relationship with the game. Much of it is incredibly brilliant. But it gets marred, IMO, but a few nagging issues. Specifically, working on a puzzle may require you to wait for a narrow window of time, so that if you don't get what you were trying to do, you'll have to wait again. There were times where I left the game running and just made a sandwich to pass the time.

That does sound irritating. We'll see I'll pick it up sometime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bloodporne said:

That does sound irritating. We'll see I'll pick it up sometime soon.

 

The game is as good as you make it it seems.

For me it wasn't anything special. For some people the game clicked with them when they discovered all the mysteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

 

Combination of, no... That's just not really realistic. As for Metroidvanias, I've played most of the good ones... Dead Cells, Sundered (my favorite), Ori, Bloodstained. 

 

With your criteria Sundered was going to be one of the first games I recommend! I will also back up the Gravity Rush suggestions it is one of the rare Sony games I love. Anyhow on to my recommendations:

 

Stellaris- This is my essential pick for social isolation and it just received a major expansion last week. The soundtrack, sound effects and gameplay loop are almost meditative!

 

Endless Legend- This is Civilization + RPG elements but might have a long tutorial (dunno it's been awhile since I started it).

 

Vanquish- A great action game without all the emo junk you don't like.

 

Now just hear me out on this next one...

 

Metal Gear Rising: Revengence- A character action game with soooooooooooooooo much emo that it feels like a parody of the genre and is absolutely hilarious. 

 

Edit: Do you like CCG's at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

First off, thanks for reading. Second I realize that my request for recommendations is going to highlight that I've both probably played a lot of your recommendations and am pretty darn picky.

 

I'm looking for some good single player games that:

A) Have a good story / interesting characters (with voice, I hate reading walls of text - ex: Pillars of Eternity)

B) Aren't janky

C) Aren't  80s era pixel graphics (I grew up playing these, don't want to go back)

D) Aren't so complicated that they need 10 tutorial levels (I'm looking at you Age of Wonders: Planetfall)

E) Are relatively current (at least PS3/Xbox 360 era).

F) Aren't weird over the top Japanese emo-fests (Devil May Cry, Bayonetta)

 

I'm a fan of most genre's(RPG, TPS, FPS, Action, side scrollers, metroidvanias). 

 

I've played most of the top AAA games since the late 90s... so that's all of your Baldurs gates, Divinity, Mass Effects, Dragon Age, God of War, Witcher, Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon, Halo, Elder Scrolls, Assasins creed, Far Cry, etc...).

 

Some recent favorites have been FrostPunk, Kingdom Come, Ori and the *, and Plague: An  innocence tale.

 

Thanks in advance

I'm sure you've played a lot of these, but I'm going to list out a lot.

 

Of The Genres You Listed

Gears of War

The Order 1886

Bastion

Dead Space

FEAR

Wolfenstein

Remnant From Ashes

Metro

Mafia

Mirrors Edge

Bioshock

Resident Evil 2 - I never was much of a fan of RE games, but this one is amazing

Lost Planet Lost Colonies

Nier Automata

Kingdom Hearts
Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch

Kingdom of Alamur

Aragami

Touhou Luna Knights

Momodora: Reverie Under The Moon

Axiom Verge

Cave Story - no voice acting, but I'm not familiar with a lot of Metroidvanias that are

Environmental Station Alpha - Its pixelated, but its a fun short metroidvania

Valdis Story

 

 

Other Genres

Celeste - Platformer

Firewatch - Walking Simulator - Has an fun story

A Hat In Time - Platformer

Diablo 3

Wolcen - Diablolike game

Torchlight

Starcraft II

Warcraft III

Dragon Quest Builders

SOMA

Shadow of the Colossus

Hotline Miami

Ruiner

Divinity 2

Mega Man Zero Collection

Ashen - Soulslike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to say thanks again for all of your suggestions. I think this will get me going for a while. At the moment I've got three things going... about 1/2 through my replay of God of War. Just picked up Guacamelee, and will probably blow through Half Life Alyx  in the next day or so (it's so good).

 

Next I'm gonna look at RE7 and remake of RE2 (any recommended order?), then the Gravity Rush games.

 

Wishlisted for tracking based on your suggestions:

Sekiro

Vanquish

Wolcen (I've been watching this for a while... heard it's buggy so I'll snag it when it's all patched up).

Ashen (Epic spring sale starts next week).

 

@Nokt Great list... I've played & finished a lot of those... but will look into those that I haven't.

 

@DPCyric - CCG is a genre I've tried but just can't get into. Same with 4x games (which is a genre I really want to like, but just never seem to have fun with).

 

Also... I completely misspoke about Outer Wilds. Misread that for  Outer Worlds. I very much liked Outer Wilds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to hijack your thread...like I already did once...but has anyone here played Subnautica? Also looking at that for a lockdown play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

Not to hijack your thread...like I already did once...but has anyone here played Subnautica? Also looking at that for a lockdown play.

 

It's on game pass. Try it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

Just wanted to say thanks again for all of your suggestions. I think this will get me going for a while. At the moment I've got three things going... about 1/2 through my replay of God of War. Just picked up Guacamelee, and will probably blow through Half Life Alyx  in the next day or so (it's so good).

 

Next I'm gonna look at RE7 and remake of RE2 (any recommended order?), then the Gravity Rush games.

 

Wishlisted for tracking based on your suggestions:

Sekiro

Vanquish

Wolcen (I've been watching this for a while... heard it's buggy so I'll snag it when it's all patched up).

Ashen (Epic spring sale starts next week).

 

@Nokt Great list... I've played & finished a lot of those... but will look into those that I haven't.

 

@DPCyric - CCG is a genre I've tried but just can't get into. Same with 4x games (which is a genre I really want to like, but just never seem to have fun with).

 

Also... I completely misspoke about Outer Wilds. Misread that for  Outer Worlds. I very much liked Outer Wilds.

 

If you really want to like 4x games give my recommendations a go. I usually don't like them as well but the added RPG elements in Endless Legend makes it a lot more interesting. Stellaris has Grand Strategy elements and it really avoids that feeling of making the wrong move. As for CCG's I was going to recommend Hex: Shards of Fate for it's fun F2P single player campaign and Faeria for it's added boardgame elements.

 

Edit: I will recommend Metal Gear Rising Revengence again as someone who is also not a big fan of Metal Gear and Emo I think you will find it to be an epic hoot 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Edit: I will recommend Metal Gear Rising Revengence again as someone who is also not a big fan of Metal Gear and Emo I think you will find it to be an epic hoot 😅

 

I was cleaning out my tv console and found a still in wrapper ps3 copy of this game I probably got for xmas....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been playing through xcom 2 again. I think this is probably my 4 th playthrough all together between pc and Xbox. For the first time I downloaded a ton of mods and completely changed the game. New enemies, abilities, and missions. It's like a new game. Love it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, eggydoo said:

 

I was cleaning out my tv console and found a still in wrapper ps3 copy of this game I probably got for xmas....

 

Oh! Let us know what you think of it after you beat it 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DPCyric said:

 

Oh! Let us know what you think of it after you beat it 😁

Maybe when I remember I have it again in 5+yrs lol  

Too lazy to bust out the ps3 and reconnect it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eggydoo said:

Maybe when I remember I have it again in 5+yrs lol  

Too lazy to bust out the ps3 and reconnect it.

 

Get it during a steam sale then you won't have to reconnect anything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... I'm playing RE2 now. I like it, but this inventory system is annoying. I completely forgot about this aspect of the games. Would be much better if things weren't destroyed if you wanted to drop something and make room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

Well... I'm playing RE2 now. I like it, but this inventory system is annoying. I completely forgot about this aspect of the games. Would be much better if things weren't destroyed if you wanted to drop something and make room. 

 

You can just put stuff in chests and they'll be accessible throughout the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 6:38 AM, Remarkableriots said:

Final Fantasy XIV! Why settle for less when you could be playing the best!!  :cool:

 

FF XIV is the weirdest game I've ever tried to get into. I've never played a game that suffered from "the good part" syndrome harder. For those unfamiliar with how the game works it is an MMO with three expansions, and in order to reach the most recent content you need to play through ALL THE MAIN STORY CONTENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME, which consists of an absolute shitload of post-expansion content that fills the gaps between expansions. Imagine if getting into WoW consisted of playing through every expansion and patch to get to the most recent content. Unfortunately, much of the content between each expansion is pretty forgettable. I enjoyed my time with the game but ran out of steam before getting through the interstitial content between Stormblood and Shadowbringers. Maybe I should go back. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 8:55 AM, Dexterryu said:

Well... I'm playing RE2 now. I like it, but this inventory system is annoying. I completely forgot about this aspect of the games. Would be much better if things weren't destroyed if you wanted to drop something and make room. 

Plus the game tells you when an item is no longer needed and you can safely discard it. The current inventory system is a LOT less annoying than it was in older games. Any of you guys try that Daymare 1998 game? I'm thinking about picking it up cheap. As far as the topic goes, I'm currently playing Sekiro and the Evil Within 2 primarily. Also some Deus Ex Mankind divided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...