I watched The Irishman yesterday *spoilers*

Scorsese loves his music playing in the background. Just freaking loves it. So when it backed off during the ceremony as Hoffa was going ballistic with Russell, I got a little nervous. Then I'm pretty sure I went 15 or 20 minutes without a lick of music. Tense shit, y'all. In addition to that, you know what got me? At the very end, Hoffa trusted Frank. "Come on, Frank, let's get out of here." The one guy he felt good about besides his son. I also thought the film seemed to be paced quicker once Hoffa came into the picture, probably because his character is the stand-out performance, while Frank's is more internal (GAWD, just watching his face during the music-less sequence was riveting).

And you know, the scenes with his daughter were interesting throughout the movie, but I really, really liked how it came full circle at the end. She was just about shaking (I think the only daughter who was?) when the news of Hoffa's death played on TV, and she said most of what she said in the entire movie in that scene when she asked her father why he didn't yet call Jo. And just like that, the relationship is over because she knows he killed her favorite uncle (and under orders from the guy she didn't like, Russell).

Good film! With the exception of the excellent Departed (probably because the plot was more well-defined and took place in a smaller time period for most of the movie, unlike Raging Bull, Goodfellas and The Irishman which take place over lifetimes), most of Scorsese's films take a little while to sink in for me. I liked Goodfellas when I first watched it, and then I really freaking loved it. I'd have to watch this again, but there's a lot to like about the film, and it was good enough that my g/f and I watched all 3 1/2 hours of it yesterday, albeit in two chunks.

• Thanks 1

Funny enough, I just watched this a second time over the past couple of days.  Definitely agreed about the music cutting out during the entire trip to Detroit - the film suddenly turned into a dread-inducing, slow-motion tragedy.  I liked it even more watching it a second time, and was struck by how engaging and entertaining it is, even as it sets up and pays off multiple complicated and long narrative arcs.  I do wish it was shorter, if only because I'd be much more likely to revisit it.  It's an excellent companion piece to Goodfellas, and has one of the more devastating endings that I've seen recently - everybody ages, the golden years fade, and if all you have to look back on is a life of deceit, lies, and estrangement from your family, what good was your loyalty and dedication to the "family"?

45 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Funny enough, I just watched this a second time over the past couple of days.  Definitely agreed about the music cutting out during the entire trip to Detroit - the film suddenly turned into a dread-inducing, slow-motion tragedy.  I liked it even more watching it a second time, and was struck by how engaging and entertaining it is, even as it sets up and pays off multiple complicated and long narrative arcs.  I do wish it was shorter, if only because I'd be much more likely to revisit it.  It's an excellent companion piece to Goodfellas, and has one of the more devastating endings that I've seen recently - everybody ages, the golden years fade, and if all you have to look back on is a life of deceit, lies, and estrangement from your family, what good was your loyalty and dedication to the "family"?

And he STILL keeps it to himself. His loyalty led to nothing, and he was still being loyal for nothing.

When he asked for the door to be left open a little, I feel like I got it. It does have similarities because it stars off glamorous and ends ragged.

23 minutes ago, Brick said:

Lol you recently watched this video, didn't you? :p

I haven't watched any videos and only read a couple articles after the movie, but I'll watch this at some point soon.

21 minutes ago, Brick said:

Lol it goes over exactly what you talked about. 

Just watched it. Yup, goes into it, but I was a little surprised the guy in the video said, "The viewer is wondering why we're watching guys check in, talk on the phone," because I thought that was obvious, and I'm always the last guy to figure something out in a movie. :lol: 

Like even when Russell said, "Call him again. He said he was thinking about it," I thought there was something ominous about that, like he knew something was fishy, and it just seemed like Russell wasn't going to meet with Hoffa and talk. Plus, if you know who Hoffa is, then you have an idea that the movie could very well tackle his disappearance. Gotta say, I didn't notice the behavior of the mob guys during the ceremony; that was a cool detail in the video that makes sense looking at it again.

Oh that slow departure on the plane. Frank's looking out, knowing why the plane is flying to Detroit... Hoffa sees him and is so excited, the poor bastard.